Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elmo :eightbux: posted:

Twitter drives a massive number of clicks to other websites/apps. Biggest click driver on the Internet by far.

That has to be utter and complete bullshit. Elmo might actually believe it, though - we have seen that he is both dumber and more delusional than he seemed before the whole Twitter disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder how many of the musk lickers are just trolls deliberately egging him on to keep this dumpsterfire in freefall. I assume most are doing it unknowingly and unwillingly, making the world a better place by encouraging the big mollusk to discredit himself. :patriot:

Sanctum posted:

People: We should improve twitter somewhat

Elon Musk:eightbux:: You posted on twitter, curious! 🤣🤣 I am very smart
:discourse:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Happy Landfill posted:

Press X to Doubt
it's true, any time I find myself on twitter I very quickly click on any other website/app I can find

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The website is literally having it's code unspool as we speak, Advertisers are pulling out like crazy, impersonation the point of criminal in some cases...

"GREAT JOB ELON! SHOW THE MSM HOW SMART YOU ARE!" :bravo:

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

The more owned he gets, the stronger he gets?

Okay, forget Doom, Elon is the Hulk.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

Wait, Doctor Doom does magic?!

Yes. Quite a lot of it and quite well. He tends a bit more blood-magicky than Strange does.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we have the best clicks, the biggest clicks, like you've never seen before. believe me :eightbux:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He literally made a magic suit of leather armor out of the skin/soul of his childhood love, and once dragged Doctor Strange down to hell to pick up his Mom's soul:

Doctor Doom is an overprivileged, overgrown manbaby... but like, he still makes Elmo look like the bitch-rear end he is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I yell "Twitter drives engagement" as my hour long tweet can't even get above 1k likes

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

If Elon is a marvel villain he's Justin Hammer from Iron Man 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Esplanade posted:

So...

A self-proclaimed genius from a repressive country undone by his own arrogance?

Elon's not Tony Stark, he's Victor von Doom.

Dr. Doom is actually smart though.

So yeah, Justin Hammer is the better comparison.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

mind the walrus posted:

Doctor Doom is an overprivileged, overgrown manbaby...

Doom will force your family to eat spaghetti-o's until the end of time!!

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

mind the walrus posted:

He literally made a magic suit of leather armor out of the skin/soul of his childhood love, and once dragged Doctor Strange down to hell to pick up his Mom's soul:

Doctor Doom is an overprivileged, overgrown manbaby... but like, he still makes Elmo look like the bitch-rear end he is.

EDIT: Nevermind, I can't read.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Considering their development cycle we're probably about 2 years away from an MCU villain that's practically an Elon subtweet, right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh iron man has been around forever

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Speaking of, didn't Elon buy a cameo in Iron Man 2 and it was just Tony Stark making fun of him?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Richer Kyanka

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

GD_American posted:

Considering their development cycle we're probably about 2 years away from an MCU villain that's practically an Elon subtweet, right

Already in the recent she hulk series

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chrpno posted:

Richer Kyanka

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

People cannot click away from Twitter fast enough

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mozi posted:

I'd imagine there are safeguards and they'd be exposing themselves to a lot of legal risk, but if they all suddenly develop amnesia and can't transfer any knowledge or work on anything that would be very unfortunate.

There is probably one old salt with a long white beard that has been in both dev and it interchangeably.

He both knows where the git servers and back ups are and has admin control on both (easier than farting around for an hour to call the right person!).

That one person can probably write gently caress-it.sh which disables all protections and then cleans out all backups and archives.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

How did Elon go from complaining about Twitter on Twitter, to legally having to buy it?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chrpno posted:

Richer Kyanka

:tesla:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Genericide posted:

How did Elon go from complaining about Twitter on Twitter, to legally having to buy it?

google bipolar disorder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Genericide posted:

He bought a lot of shares with the goal of being on the board . The goal was to turn it from a “left wing” website (lol) to something more appealing to his white supremacist views. The Twitter board balked and demanded he pass background checks and probably a drug test (he would not pass he’s a major addict) . So then he got really pissed as the Twitter board and said he’d buy the whole company instead of doing the background checks. And In a manic phase : he did

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Genericide posted:

Former CEO Parag Agrawal texted Elon basically saying "you can say twitter is dying, but that doesn't help the company" and Elon got super pissed and fired back that he was just going to buy the company outright.

Elon got super stoned and offered $54.20 a share, way higher than Twitter was at. When he sobered up he realized he hosed up but by then it was too late.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I still don’t get that part of it. A tweet is not a binding contract. At some point he signed a contract. Nobody told him it was a dumb idea as he was putting pen to paper?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Genericide posted:

Very carefully stupidly

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

davecrazy posted:

I still don’t get that part of it. A tweet is not a binding contract. At some point he signed a contract. Nobody told him it was a dumb idea as he was putting pen to paper?

Musk was represented by one of the best law firms in the world for this sort of deal. But since when has musk ever listened to a technical expert that's told him his ideas are stupid?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

davecrazy posted:

People that tell Elon what he doesn't like to hear don't tend to stay in Elon's company

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Twitter statement of claim is good reading, they were extremely careful to draft an entirely binding contract.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Genericide posted:

He posted one of those tired pronoun jokes and grimes responded with "I know you don't have so much hate in your heart" that ultimately led to her leaving him and hooking up with Chelsea Manning. He got so mad about this he tweeted that he was going to buy Twitter at the funny weed number and then somehow @jack took notice and said yes, yes! Let's do it! Elon got his mediocre white male friends Justin roiland (Rick and morty) and roe Rogan to be part of his negotiation buddies, and presumably a terrible lawyer at some point, and he signs an airtight contract where Twitter is able to force him to purchase the company at a way overvalued US$44b or so or he pays a billion or two as contract termination damage. He realised the error and tried several times to get out where @parag knew he was making poo poo up, so Twitter brought him to court. The court discovery process came to the point where his text messages needed to be made public (leading to the Rogan / roiland texts being leaked) and to stop more from turning up he gave up and agreed to the purchase. He bought a sink to the HQ and then fired the c level team including @parag "for cause" when they all had golden parachute clauses in their employment contracts, so they probably are initiating or have initiated lawsuits against him now. He then fired the board making him sole director and presumably they also have golden parachute clauses too. He fired almost everyone else, killed remote working, and caused the legal, cyber security, privacy, compliance, communications, pr, advertising and other heads to quit. He continues tweeting throughout this whole thing.

In essence, transphobia cost him us$44b and potentially his reputation.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

davecrazy posted:

The thing is when you tweet that you open yourself up to actual legal liability so twitter had him by the balls and could write a very lopsided contract because if he said he was just kidding he actually would have liability from the SEC again. He can't just tweet something like that without fileing something like this otherwise he is breaking the law. He literally went through this when he did his dumb rear end funding secured tweet and learned nothing from it.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000110465922045641/tm2212748d1_sc13da.htm

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He posted one of those tired pronoun jokes and grimes responded with "I know you don't have so much hate in your heart" that ultimately led to her leaving him and hooking up with Chelsea Manning. He got so mad about this he tweeted that he was going to buy Twitter at the funny weed number and then somehow @jack took notice and said yes, yes! Let's do it! Elon got his mediocre white male friends Justin roiland (Rick and morty) and roe Rogan to be part of his negotiation buddies, and presumably a terrible lawyer at some point, and he signs an airtight contract where Twitter is able to force him to purchase the company at a way overvalued US$44b or so or he pays a billion or two as contract termination damage. He realised the error and tried several times to get out where @parag knew he was making poo poo up, so Twitter brought him to court. The court discovery process came to the point where his text messages needed to be made public (leading to the Rogan / roiland texts being leaked) and to stop more from turning up he gave up and agreed to the purchase. He bought a sink to the HQ and then fired the c level team including @parag "for cause" when they all had golden parachute clauses in their employment contracts, so they probably are initiating or have initiated lawsuits against him now. He then fired the board making him sole director and presumably they also have golden parachute clauses too. He fired almost everyone else, killed remote working, and caused the legal, cyber security, privacy, compliance, communications, pr, advertising and other heads to quit. He continues tweeting throughout this whole thing.

:lol:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think the billion was just if the financing fell through, it wasn't a choice between paying that or going through with the deal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

davecrazy posted:

I'm sure a number of people told him it was a dumb idea but he's smarter than them so he signed it anyway.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This is very funny. Sounds likes like Grimes wound up doing ok, minus initially dating Elon of course.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Read that document I linked, not only did he buy it at 38% over the value he bullied the board into accepting the deal lmao

quote:

Musk proclaimed himself prepared to begin negotiations “immediately,” and confirmed he was “exploring whether to commence a tender offer.”

31. On Saturday, April 23, 2022, Musk asked to speak with Twitter representatives about his offer. At the direction of the transactions committee, Taylor engaged with Musk, who reiterated that his offer was “best and final” and threatened once again to take it to Twitter’s stockholders directly if the board did not engage immediately.

32. The following day, on Sunday, April 24, 2022, Musk tried again to force Twitter’s hand. He delivered a letter to the board repeating that his $54.20 per share offer was “best and final,” threatening once more to sell all of his shares if his bid were rejected, and saying he would propose a “seller friendly” merger agreement to be signed before the market opened the next day. Musk’s counsel sent over a draft agreement, reiterated that Musk’s offer was not contingent on any due diligence, and underscored that the form of the proposed agreement was “intended to make this easy on all to get to a deal asap.”

33. The agreement was negotiated through the night and, in the process, became even more seller-friendly. Among the provisions not contained in Musk’s proposal but included at Twitter’s insistence were an undertaking by defendants, including Musk, to “take or cause to be taken . . . all actions and to do, or cause to be done, all things necessary, proper or advisable” to obtain the financing (already committed) to consummate the transaction, Ex. 1 § 6.10(a); a clear disclaimer of any financing condition to closing, id. § 6.10(f); and a right on Twitter’s part to request and promptly receive updates from Musk about his progress in obtaining financing, id. § 6.10(d). These provisions ensured that financing would be no obstacle to closing and that the company would have the right to stay informed of Musk’s progress in arranging his financing.

34. Twitter also negotiated for itself a right to hire and fire employees at all levels, including executives, without having to seek Musk’s consent. Musk’s initial draft of the merger agreement would have deemed the hiring and firing of an employee at the level of vice president or above a presumptive violation of the ordinary course covenant absent Musk’s consent. Twitter successfully struck that provision before signing.

35. Twitter further negotiated to narrow the circumstances under which defendants could escape the deal by claiming a “Company Material Adverse Effect.” In addition to excluding, for example, market-wide and industry-wide effects and circumstances and declines in stock price and financial performance, the final definition excluded matters relating to or resulting from Musk’s identity or communications, “performance” of the agreement, and any matter disclosed by Twitter in its SEC filings other than the “Risk Factors” and “Forward-Looking Statements” sections of those disclosures.  Id. Art. I.

36. Finally, and critically, Twitter negotiated for itself a robust right to demand specific performance of the agreement’s terms that encompassed the right to compel defendants to close the deal, and ensured that Musk personally was bound by that provision (among others). Id. § 9.9(a)-(b), Preamble.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, there wasn't a "buy twitter or pay a few billion" choice, it was "buy twitter, or buy twitter and pay a huge penalty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

sebmojo posted:

I think the billion was just if the financing fell through, it wasn't a choice between paying that or going through with the deal.

The billion was if there was an outside reason the deal could not close like if the us government determined he could not own twitter because xyz he would still be on the hook for a billion as a breakup fee. This is how bad the contract was for him. He had no choice to buy it funding or not the Delaware chancery court could have stripped him forcefully of his tesla shares to force closure of the deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/13/elon-musk-cant-just-walk-away-from-twitter-deal-by-paying-1-billion.html