Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Flopsy posted:

We agree on that point just not how he got it wrong.

so to be clear, you think the government approved the release of Pokémon scarlet and violet, but then several months after that approval process banned a leaker mentioning what is actually in the game that would be publicly available in less than a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

so to be clear, you think the government approved the release of Pokémon scarlet and violet, but then several months after that approval process banned a leaker mentioning what is actually in the game that would be publicly available in less than a month

That's a conclusion you certainly just came to. I think they approved the game censored the content and he reported it wrong because he himself is chinese and that's what his copy said was the plot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flopsy posted:

That's a conclusion you certainly just came to. I think they approved the game censored the content and he reported it wrong because he himself is chinese and that's what his copy said was the plot.

lol ok. you have brain problems

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

lol ok. you have brain problems

LOL right? So out there and crazy to assume China would censor something and a citizen would report back what his copy said. But then again you wouldn't be the board contrarian if you weren't keeping up the act would you?

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 13, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flopsy posted:

LOL right? So out there and crazy to assume China would censor something and a citizen would report back what his copy said. But then again you wouldn't be the board contrarian if you weren't keeping up the act would you?

goodness gracious

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

goodness gracious

Great balls of fire. I think we're done here.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I feel torn about S/V. I'm always excited for new pokemans and a new game. But at the same time, I'm consistently bummed out at the lack of features that make me come back (battle tower, etc). BDSP were, honestly, lame and I never came back to them once beating them. Sw/Sh I still pick up to goof off in raids, but still. Between that and the still lack of complete dex really irk me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

those things do suck but I think the game will be fun. there are raids again and better coop play so I think there'll be reason to keep coming back. at least I hope

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I've seen a lot of pirates and early retail players say that the core game is one of the best 3d campaigns so that's something at least

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

I've seen a lot of pirates and early retail players say that the core game is one of the best 3d campaigns so that's something at least

"one of the best" out of 3 (or 7 if you include ORAS/LG/BDSP/PL:A) isn't exactly high praise but I think it'll probably be better than all but sumo/usum

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

In addition to lol MTL, sometimes people are also dumbasses who misinterpret the plot. It happens.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Perfect Potato posted:

:getin:

(general spoilers since idk what people even care about spoilering anymore)

The leaks have actually done a lot to alleviate my concerns about S/V. Open world, but instead of (inevitably bad) level scaling they just give you difficulty warnings and let you go wherever. My other big concern with open world was that they might have been lazy about the actual campaign as a result, but they apparently weren't.

My main complaints from what I've read are trivial stuff (why remove set battle style :negative:) and of course a lack of fashion. But I'm here to just play some drat pokemon and it sounds like these games will continue to be just fine for that.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

In addition to lol MTL, sometimes people are also dumbasses who misinterpret the plot. It happens.

Could've been this as well. I have said before Khu isn't exactly playing with a full deck so it's possible he just pulled this entire thing out of his rear end. It's a lot of variables but at this point I no longer care which one it is.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Lee(a)ks 'R' Freaks

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there a list out there of the rival(s?) and Gym Leaders' etc.'s teams? I like not to have a lot of overlap, especially with the rival. :shobon:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 13, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Game runs pretty great on ryujinx, figured most ppl here would already be playing it but guess not

Still getting it on Switch, I want to play online

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Yestermoment posted:

I feel torn about S/V. I'm always excited for new pokemans and a new game. But at the same time, I'm consistently bummed out at the lack of features that make me come back (battle tower, etc). BDSP were, honestly, lame and I never came back to them once beating them. Sw/Sh I still pick up to goof off in raids, but still. Between that and the still lack of complete dex really irk me.

I have determined myself to go into Pokemon games with my good time hat on, knowing full well that there will be some things I will be disappointed by but will still be outweighed by the things I do enjoy.

The only game that hasn't outweighed my disappointment in a very long time is BDSP, which fully solidified my opinion that sinnoh is my least favorite region.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

UP AND ADAM posted:

3d movie maker basic geometric shapes lookin rear end

https://twitter.com/redpyrameadhead/status/1591506830567833600?s=20&t=uHHx5mMviKMbPO-WyUHftg

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Is there a list out there of the rival(s?) and Gym Leaders' etc.'s teams? I like not to have a lot of overlap, especially with the rival. :shobon:

If you're utilizing any new pokemon it may be impossible not to have a bit of overlap. Unfortunately I only know about one or two mons the champion is using. I believe she's a psychic/poison type user.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

whats the early impression opinions on SV so far? does the game let you change window borders like gen 4

also why is there someone yelling in this thread and getting mondo aggro about someone else saying they're wrong about the chinese govt censoring the game??? :dafuq:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flopsy posted:

If you're utilizing any new pokemon it may be impossible not to have a bit of overlap. Unfortunately I only know about one or two mons the champion is using. I believe she's a psychic/poison type user.

If it's one 'mon per trainer, my brain worms can handle it. But if I'm rocking like half the same team as my rival, it irks me.

And yeah, I'm going for 100% new 'mons at least on my first play-through.

I make a lot of dumb rules for myself, but team theorycrafting is half the fun of these games for me. :)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

If it's one 'mon per trainer, my brain worms can handle it. But if I'm rocking like half the same team as my rival, it irks me.

And yeah, I'm going for 100% new 'mons at least on my first play-through.

I make a lot of dumb rules for myself, but team theorycrafting is half the fun of these games for me. :)

Same man, when I go into a new game it's all new friends all the way down for me. Unfortunately we don't have any ideas outside of Penny about the composition of the rivals teams. She specializes in fairy types and her ace is sylveon.

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
Watching a friend play this over discord and the potential for sequence breaks looks kind of amazing? If you throw a ball at a Pokemon on the other side of an uncrossable gap it will just teleport you across for the battle and leave you there. Doing this she went from the first town to areas with level 60+ guys in like an hour.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Same man, when I go into a new game it's all new friends all the way down for me. Unfortunately we don't have any ideas outside of Penny about the composition of the rivals teams. She specializes in fairy types and her ace is sylveon.

I think that spoiler is wrong.

Kinda get the feeling you’re going off 3 month old leaks that were only partially accurate.

Anyway rival/gym teams are out there if you really want to go look (just check the Pokémon leaks subreddit) but even though the thread has been pretty chill with spoilers I don’t really want to make a list of the team composition for every significant character so probs best to look for that info yourself

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think that spoiler is wrong.

Kinda get the feeling you’re going off 3 month old leaks that were only partially accurate.

Anyway rival/gym teams are out there if you really want to go look (just check the Pokémon leaks subreddit) but even though the thread has been pretty chill with spoilers I don’t really want to make a list of the team composition for every significant character so probs best to look for that info yourself

Could be, haven't seen the team layouts so I am just going off of older information.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Regarding endstory leaks and China and whatnot (PLOT spoilers):
Even the Chinese text mentions the time machine and time travel. There's very little in the text at the moment that explicitly theorizes or even openly speculates that there might be something at work other than time travel. However, the character that chiefly talks about it and believes in it is an AI. In fact, the time machine was created AFTER the research teams had sketches of the paradox pokemon, based on information that was already in the Scarlet/Violet Book. You get an open pondering of how the writers could already have known about pokemon that were only here because of the time machine before a conclusion that it's all made-up anyway and that the amazing thing was that nonsense was made a reality.

That's right after showing this picture, too.

If there's more to it than some kind of closed time loop we're likely only going to find out in the DLC anyway.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This coming after the game about the Sinnoh Legends being brought back to prominence seems like a strange plan for their part.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hogama posted:

Even the Chinese text mentions the time machine and time travel. There's very little in the text at the moment that explicitly theorizes or even openly speculates that there might be something at work other than time travel.

sorry but you expect me to believe a leaker wasn't 100% accurate in their reporting and my cultural biases against China are incorrect?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Geostomp posted:

This coming after the game about the Sinnoh Legends being brought back to prominence seems like a strange plan for their part.

No they made a bad thing and decided to give it another go to make a cool thing. PLA's time travel stuff is entirely just there to excuse the menu being a cell phone and to be an isekai joke, it's barely relevant to the plot at all.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished main story. Opinions (doesn't really include any specific spoilers but spoilered anyways)

I'd agree with the sentiment that it is the best standard line Pokémon game in a long time. The non-linear open world model is a huge step forwards and makes it feel better than pretty much all of the other games as far as the main story goes. The game could really use some sort of dynamic difficulty adjusting to the player's power level, which as far as I noticed doesn't exist. I ended up going through many sections where I was way over-leveled due to having done stuff 'out of optimal order'. Also, there is a bit of a bottleneck towards the end of the game because most of the progression ends in the high 40s or low 50s power level, with tons of trainers that use 6 level 60+ Pokémon blocking progress, so there is a period towards the end of the game where you won't really do anything except bulk up for a few hours. I like the fact that you can see wild shiny Pokémon as shiny before engaging in battles with them, but I wish there were an additional visual indicator of some kind for the more casual player who doesn't know what every shade of shiny Pokémon is supposed to look like. I'm sure i've walked past some shinies without noticing. Also, I felt like the world could have been a little bit bigger. There were some cases where 2 gyms or story objectives were essentially right next to each other, which tells me the space was a bit cramped. They probably could have raised the in-region pokedex to 500 (rather than 400) and put out a bit more diversity as well, especially with this being open world and all. The way to make an open world game better is with a better open world that has more interesting things to do.

Actual spoilers

Was kinda disappointed that they had a cool pacing concept with locking a final area and story arc until the very end of the game, but the actual area itself is so much squandered potential. Rather than be a giant area where you can catch and fight cool poo poo, you mostly end up with the same boring Pokémon you find everywhere else, plus the ancients and maybe a few others you don't see too often on the main overworld map. Still disappointed that they never seem to give us a Pokémon game that truly taps into the potential of 25 years worth of games and content to go hard with 100+ hours of story content and progression. My end time on this was 28 hours, not doing any of the re-battles or additional stuff that opens up after credits yet. Challenge wise, I thought it was somewhat difficult for a Pokémon game, especially in the bottleneck towards the end of the game, but the difficulty mostly equated to inflated stats on opposing Pokémon meaning I would need to spam potions and revives until move sets on opposing trainer's Pokémon that literally one-shot full health Pokémon without criting or being super effective ran out.

There was also something having to do with pulling glowing pegs out of the ground that are hidden in various corners of the world that I didn't complete, and the game hasn't really given me any indication of what they do. If anyone knows what these are for, holla.

My rating: Pokémon out of 10

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 13, 2022

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No they made a bad thing and decided to give it another go to make a cool thing. PLA's time travel stuff is entirely just there to excuse the menu being a cell phone and to be an isekai joke, it's barely relevant to the plot at all.

And also the Hisuian Zoroark reveal video.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Now that we're on the subject of PLA, how could they handle the special variants and evolutions from that game coming back? Some

Some of them are easy enough with just adding items, but others make no sense outside the mechanics of that game. Do Overquil and Wyrdeer could just level up after knowing their moves, or are they just going to be transfer-only like Meltmetal?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hogama posted:

Even the Chinese text mentions the time machine and time travel. There's very little in the text at the moment that explicitly theorizes or even openly speculates that there might be something at work other than time travel. However, the character that chiefly talks about it and believes in it is an AI. In fact, the time machine was created AFTER the research teams had sketches of the paradox pokemon, based on information that was already in the Scarlet/Violet Book. You get an open pondering of how the writers could already have known about pokemon that were only here because of the time machine before a conclusion that it's all made-up anyway and that the amazing thing was that nonsense was made a reality.

That's right after showing this picture, too.

If there's more to it than some kind of closed time loop we're likely only going to find out in the DLC anyway.

Honestly at this point the plot seems so loving confusing I'm just going to wait to play the drat thing.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I would guess they will just change it to "they have to use the move x times", and discard the strong/agile style stuff entirely. idk, they might do something more elaborate.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Actual spoilers

There was also something having to do with pulling glowing pegs out of the ground that are hidden in various corners of the world that I didn't complete, and the game hasn't really given me any indication of what they do. If anyone knows what these are for, holla.

That’s related to the legendaries. I believe your intended prompt is being told by teacher(s) at school. You pull up 8 stakes per legendary to free them for capture, as I understand, but they’re all generally in the vicinity of their respective one.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t know about any of that but here is another Crystal Nuzlocke Update.

Post Morty my squad got walloped so I had to dip into the reserves. Having left Marge the Magby at the day care I was able to get her up to speed fairly quickly, and I grabbed both a new wild Pokémon and a dude from storage. Having wrapped up the Lighthouse I am about to set. SAIIIIIIL! To cianwood.

Zubat was simply too awful to keep using so here we are. Noctowl sucks but can at least take a few hits while I try to find somebody better. Was hoping to get a Tauros or Miltank but no luck.

My other options to replace poliwag were a magikarp and a tentacool so I think I made the right choice to use somebody new to me instead. Wooper was a slog to get through.

Not much to say with these three. Magby is learning moves fast and as long as it doesn’t get hit it’s holding up pretty well. Many tentacools died to get it leveled up this fast.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So the pokedex entries have leaked and interestingly enough it seems like both Koraidon and Miraidon in their respective timelines are giant dicks. The version that becomes our loyal steed was apparently beaten and humbled in some way first.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hogama posted:

That’s related to the legendaries. I believe your intended prompt is being told by teacher(s) at school. You pull up 8 stakes per legendary to free them for capture, as I understand, but they’re all generally in the vicinity of their respective one.

if it's eight, that sounds like I need to dig more carefully. I've probably pulled up like maybe 5 total in completely random spots.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is it true that you can’t refight the Elite Four in this game (if so, is there anything to do in the postgame)? Also where do you go to start the Team Star and Totem story arcs?

Also the game does have some kind of fast travel mechanic like the previous entries right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

So is it true that you can’t refight the Elite Four in this game (if so, is there anything to do in the postgame)? Also where do you go to start the Team Star and Totem story arcs?

Also the game does have some kind of fast travel mechanic like the previous entries right?

Not as the Elite four but they all will show up in school tournaments for rematches afterwards.