Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IgorWallossek/status/1590935202272104448?t=JlSfAtcl3vETazBzz6RMmA&s=19

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1591204724615049216?t=vO-GvE6lm8fWDQeFkZt5aA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1591217603758149632?t=64-1RNqNq_jVVDMrTs-vqQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Was Igor always such a tool?

e. Like did he go after people who disagreed with his 3000-series capacitor article?

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 12, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
To answer my own question I guess

https://twitter.com/AlexandraYume/status/1591206186061549569

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ONE MORE TIME!!
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1591526179802173445

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Was Igor always such a tool?

e. Like did he go after people who disagreed with his 3000-series capacitor article?

If he did, no one probably noticed because the consensus was he was right and anyone with a trusted platform agreed with him.

They absolutely already have that unit shipped and just made someone at Dell poo poo their pants.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I'd be surprised if they didn't already have the thing in hand before announcing that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they didn't you can say they're giving Dell every chance possible to produce something decent.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

power crystals posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't already have the thing in hand before announcing that.

It seems they posted that before or just after placing the order. Steve says it doesn't matter since Alienwares' issues can't be fixed with advance notice. Nothing is ever wrong with the actual build quality. It's the fundamental design that's always flawed.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
a $4500 computer with 32gb of ram and a hard drive

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Wild EEPROM posted:

A one terabyte hard drive, an 8tb WD Black might make sense but that thing's the same size as the NVMe

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wild EEPROM posted:

thanks steve

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

When he buys pre-builts anonymously he uses his alias, Beve Sturk

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaleski posted:

When he buys pre-builts anonymously he uses his alias, Beve Sturk

get it right jeez it's beve sturkE

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks, Beve

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Eve Sturkeb

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know OEMs are hesitant to use XMP profiles since that technically means running the memory out of spec, but Raptor Lake's official DDR5 support goes up to 5600, doesn't it? Is there any justification for using DDR5-4800 at this point aside from being unbelievably cheap? (for your $4500 pc lmao)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I know OEMs are hesitant to use XMP profiles since that technically means running the memory out of spec, but Raptor Lake's official DDR5 support goes up to 5600, doesn't it? Is there any justification for using DDR5-4800 at this point aside from being unbelievably cheap? (for your $4500 pc lmao)

No-one buying an Alienware in 2022 knows what a RAM speed is.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Bants.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gently caress, references to that show never fail to make me laugh.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2px7ofKhQ

GN reporting on the 4090 adapters

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aux power connectors especially at that amount of wattage was always a terrible idea imo.

PCIe CEM form factor sucks for high power applications.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It almost makes more sense for video cards to have a separate power brick externally and a plug of their own at this point.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

AlternateAccount posted:

It almost makes more sense for video cards to have a separate power brick externally and a plug of their own at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d much rather have another power cable going to my PC instead of having to deal with ever more expensive, bulky, and catch-on-firery PSUs and connectors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Something has already gone terribly wrong with the industry that a daughterboard is expected to draw 600W.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think that's only a 60W power brick too

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Something has already gone terribly wrong with the industry that a daughterboard is expected to draw 600W.

Why? GPUs are insanely dense and do a ton of work. A Zen4 CCD is 72.5 square millimeters. AD102, the 4090 core, is 608.5 square millimeters. Why is it a shock or bad when something ten times as big uses ten times the power?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The operative word here is "daughterboard" - we've had this conversation here a few times but you can really feel the ATX standard fraying at the edges

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Why? GPUs are insanely dense and do a ton of work. A Zen4 CCD is 72.5 square millimeters. AD102, the 4090 core, is 608.5 square millimeters. Why is it a shock or bad when something ten times as big uses ten times the power?
I'm not sure what your point is here, or what it has to do with what I said.

EDIT: The point I was trying to make is that if you're building a daughterboard that draws up to 800W, it's probably smarter to split that single daughterboard into multiple daughterboards - each of them can be good at one thing, for example one has a shitload of tensorflow cores, another has raytracing cores, and so on and so forth.
That way, you also don't need to ship an actual piece of plastic or metal that the person using the device is meant to install to prevent the device from ripping itself or its socket away from the motherboard due to gravity.

EDIT: And it's not like we don't have an interconnect for it either; the HGX platform uses NVSwitch so if PCI isn't fast enough that's not really an excuse.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That AMD's top card this generation is 320W (and hell even the 4080 is 320W stated TDP) says GPU power isn't growing as quickly as it seems. The 4090 is just a gigantic outlier which only furthers the thought that the xx90 cards are just what Nvidia replaced the Titan name with. What should be explicitly productivity cards are being pushed as gaming cards now they realise nerds will pay whatever they ask for them.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the 7900XTX is 355W actually and that was ridiculous enough last-gen. the 4090 is a huge outlier though yeah

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not sure what your point is here, or what it has to do with what I said.

EDIT: The point I was trying to make is that if you're building a daughterboard that draws up to 800W, it's probably smarter to split that single daughterboard into multiple daughterboards - each of them can be good at one thing, for example one has a shitload of tensorflow cores, another has raytracing cores, and so on and so forth.
That way, you also don't need to ship an actual piece of plastic or metal that the person using the device is meant to install to prevent the device from ripping itself or its socket away from the motherboard due to gravity.

EDIT: And it's not like we don't have an interconnect for it either; the HGX platform uses NVSwitch so if PCI isn't fast enough that's not really an excuse.

Splitting it up into multiple boards is almost certainly not practical because of the latency cost, but if your point is more that the form factor is the problem then I absolutely agree. We need a new PCI-E form factor for GPUs, something that can provide better structural support and better cooling possibilities. If people weren't afraid of snapping their GPUs or trying to stuff them into a case where they don't fit because of height, there probably would be a lot fewer errors made with power connectors.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

bring back horizontal cases

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

replacing ATX is too hard, lets just flip it around and make the GPU in ATX form factor and plug the CPU into it as an expansion card like those intel compute elements

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

well why not posted:

bring back horizontal cases

Actually this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cooler master says hello from like 10 years ago:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q

You can also just lie a tower on its side but with all the stupid glass it might not be so good.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Multiple shots at Igor's Lab, I like it

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

chaleski posted:

Multiple shots at Igor's Lab, I like it

I loved Steves speech at the end. I'm glad I'm waiting for the 4070 to come out, hopefully by then all the fires will be done and I will know "do X not Y"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maingear x shroud (twitch streamer) with some equity deal involved

should be an interesting review some day

https://maingear.com/shroud/

i'm assuming maingear are billing themselves as a premium prebuilt brand with these prices. although the front intake is ... interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

maingear x shroud (twitch streamer) with some equity deal involved

should be an interesting review some day

https://maingear.com/shroud/

i'm assuming maingear are billing themselves as a premium prebuilt brand with these prices. although the front intake is ... interesting

lol at charging $2600 for a 3080 machine in november of 2022. I was looking around yesterday and found several prebuilts on amazon from CyberPowerPC with a ~13700K and 4080 for around $2600. Though... those also only came with a single 16GB stick of DDR5 (speed unspecified).