Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think most of us were expecting things to not change this drastically. Like, Elon would give some lip service to the right and make some funky-flash-man-esque promises, and maybe Trump would have been reinstated but otherwise the course would be maintained until he makes more drastic changes later once he is settled in.

Instead, he is putting on a dancing clown show that he is confident that would be a huge hit and is doing so after setting fire to the rest of the circus and is performing while the entire place burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Zil posted:

Main stream media

Thanks. I thought he was having a fight with gay dudes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elon owns the fourth largest media website in the world

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Real estate?

Everyone's speculating about the technical and legal ways Twitter might die, but Elon just came up with a new one - not paying rent on facilities and getting evicted.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Musk Stream Media (because Twitter stinks)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

euphronius posted:

It’s a good RSS feed and micro blog . In fact it killed rss . That’s it it didn’t have to be anything more !! It was ok !!

Instead capital has to destroy it because being a fascist is frowned upon

You know you don't have to be this kind of idiot, right?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

euphronius:eightbux: posted:

Elon got owned by fourth largest media website in the world

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

kw0134 posted:

He still has his apparent moments of clarity, because if you add up the time he's spent between "I want Twitter" and "No I do not want Twitter," he's spent six months fighting the deal he signed with everything at his disposal, and a mere month courting, closing, and running Twitter into the ground. And when he said "okay, let's do it anyway" in the middle of a lawsuit compelling performance, he went into his new ownership role with a great deal of zeal for a guy who had to get put in the driver's seat kicking and screaming.

His apparent desires are extremely erratic in a way that feels more pathological than mere poor impulse control.

Excellent point.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this all goes back to grimes? so thie is all just divorce posting? like when you start arguing with people in your bicycle enthusiast forum just to lash out? it makes sense. he's definitely not mad or divorced.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Convex posted:

I got bored

Good poo poo lmao

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Trillhouse posted:

typical nerd, couldn't handle his drugs.😔

This is definitely not in the first ten things I’d think of when prompted with “typical nerd, ________”

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Ror posted:

he probably says "dunno" because he's never actually visited a mental health professional that wasn't just part of a company's hr or whatever

We are all broke-brained monkeys pretending to be otherwise.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

He's going to be sued into the ground. The FTC should no poo poo put this poo poo on lockdown. It's very clear his version of twitter is a threat to public safety.

...Does any one else have a wierd feeling about this week? Like the Red Wave being such a wet fart stopped a lot of plans from materializing, and regressives all over the world are in full panic mode?

Musky had that wierd sit down with Putin a few months ago and suddenly becomes Ace Negotiator and wants to finish buying Twitter. The Russians panic retreat from Kherson once the GOP falls apart...idk something is bugging me about all this.

Musk was not in full burn it down mode till later into this week, which makes me think he was supposed to be the paid for Regressive disinformation bureau if the GOP won big, but now all those plans are up in flames.

its not a conspiracy everyone is just really dumb and bit off more than they could chew

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

What does Open Kimono mean?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Mulaney Power Move posted:

this all goes back to grimes? so thie is all just divorce posting? like when you start arguing with people in your bicycle enthusiast forum just to lash out? it makes sense. he's definitely not mad or divorced.

agree, definitely not extremely divorced and mad

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

The Saddest Rhino posted:

…snip…

In essence, transphobia cost him us$44b and potentially his reputation.

potentially doing some PB lifting here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kw0134 posted:

He still has his apparent moments of clarity, because if you add up the time he's spent between "I want Twitter" and "No I do not want Twitter," he's spent six months fighting the deal he signed with everything at his disposal, and a mere month courting, closing, and running Twitter into the ground. And when he said "okay, let's do it anyway" in the middle of a lawsuit compelling performance, he went into his new ownership role with a great deal of zeal for a guy who had to get put in the driver's seat kicking and screaming.

His apparent desires are extremely erratic in a way that feels more pathological than mere poor impulse control.

I dunno, because it also reminds me of myself and other people I've known who have hosed up reallll bad, but in a way that has some time between knowing you made a mistake and the consequences.

Buying twitter was hubris, but not completely insane given who he was and his ability to hype success into existence. He started having second thoughts almost immediately when tesla stock dropped on the news. Then when the whole market went kablooie he knew it was a huge mistake.

Spending six months fighting to get out is the first reaction to knowing you hosed up. Press the undo button! Make it so it never happened. It was hopeless, but not crazy. Then he gave up on that because the court case was gonna be an even bigger L for him.

And now he's in the scrambling "I can fix it!" phase where he's making everything worse. Probably the plan behind firing most of the workforce and trying to add :eightbux: revenue is so he can make the balance sheet look ok for 1 year and re-IPO it or something. He'd take a huge bath on that but that's gonna happen anyways. (And he's loving that up because he's the world's richest dunning-kruger case and is moving way too fast.)

tldr living is a state of suppressed panic and tension looks a lot like mental illness

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Lammasu posted:

it's a sexist term that means being open about how your company operates (revealing what's hidden)

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lammasu posted:

thats how I walk around on the weekends

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Real estate?

Everyone's speculating about the technical and legal ways Twitter might die, but Elon just came up with a new one - not paying rent on facilities and getting evicted.

Yeah that was my reaction too. Twitter's going to be so thoroughly destroyed it'll make Cato the Elder blush.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

AARP LARPer posted:

agree, definitely not extremely divorced and mad

Let's be real, even when he was married he was still super divorced.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Real estate?

It might also be property services for buildings they own - cleaning, maintenance, fire safety etc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I could've sworn he was over and done with Grimes *way* before this saga started. I guess it's our current hellscape, everything in the last 2 1/2 years seems like it's happened both simultaneously and over the course of decades.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

AARP LARPer posted:

it's a sexist term that means being open about how your company operates (revealing what's hidden)

Where's that mod post about banning people who show up with terminal twitter brain?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

madmatt112 posted:

potentially doing some PB lifting here

Not sure what pb is (I assume it's personal best and not peanut butter or power bottom) but it is a bit of a stretch, although there's some truth in that the Chelsea manning / grimes news broke on Twitter and people were dunking on him hard on Twitter, and that was likely the thing that led him to want to control the platform to control his image, leading to the share purchase (as pointed out) against regulations and then the board freeze out and then the bid and then the lawsuit and then the purchase.

I had breakfast with a friend with I was writing the posts earlier and she asked me to explain the whole thing. The number of times she said "no, this is too stupid" is more than 5

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He posted one of those tired pronoun jokes and grimes responded with "I know you don't have so much hate in your heart" that ultimately led to her leaving him and hooking up with Chelsea Manning. He got so mad about this he tweeted that he was going to buy Twitter at the funny weed number and then somehow @jack took notice and said yes, yes! Let's do it! Elon got his mediocre white male friends Justin roiland (Rick and morty) and roe Rogan to be part of his negotiation buddies, and presumably a terrible lawyer at some point, and he signs an airtight contract where Twitter is able to force him to purchase the company at a way overvalued US$44b or so or he pays a billion or two as contract termination damage. He realised the error and tried several times to get out where @parag knew he was making poo poo up, so Twitter brought him to court. The court discovery process came to the point where his text messages needed to be made public (leading to the Rogan / roiland texts being leaked) and to stop more from turning up he gave up and agreed to the purchase. He bought a sink to the HQ and then fired the c level team including @parag "for cause" when they all had golden parachute clauses in their employment contracts, so they probably are initiating or have initiated lawsuits against him now. He then fired the board making him sole director and presumably they also have golden parachute clauses too. He fired almost everyone else, killed remote working, and caused the legal, cyber security, privacy, compliance, communications, pr, advertising and other heads to quit. He continues tweeting throughout this whole thing.

In essence, transphobia cost him us$44b and potentially his reputation.

If I hadn't actually watched all this poo poo happen in a slow drip feed of sharing I would say that this sounds like some dumb fanfiction written by a terminal redditor in March 2020 when COVID had everyone at their most tightly wound.

But like, gently caress I was there. This is actually what loving happened.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

AARP LARPer posted:

sexist?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Culturally rooted in a sort-of Western perception of a Geisha as a concubine/sex toy. Like imagine it being said by WWII GIs and it'll click.

Wouldn't say it's a hill worth dying on, but like, yeah if you want to get granular it's not the best expression for what it's describing.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Grimes going from musk to chelsea manning is honestly a sidegrade imo

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

mind the walrus posted:

Culturally rooted in a sort-of Western perception of a Geisha as a concubine/sex toy. Like imagine it being said by WWII GIs and it'll click.

Wouldn't say it's a hill worth dying on, but like, yeah if you want to get granular it's not the best expression for what it's describing.

I guess if it came from American GIs lol I never assumed that phrase to be gendered because kimonos are gender neutral

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

It might also be property services for buildings they own - cleaning, maintenance, fire safety etc

Can't wait for the Twitter Shirtwaist Factory Fire

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

priznat posted:

Yeah same I thought roiland was the more normal one on that show

The guy who had this as his IMDB picture for the longest time?

Dan Harmon’s an rear end in a top hat, but he’s definitely the one holding the reins and keeping Rick & Morty from going full grandpa-ball-sucking 24/7.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Demon Of The Fall posted:

thats how I walk around on the weekends

The police are well aware of your "thing", and have had many complaints, but are unable to catch up to you when you run.

They are burdened with gear. You are flowing and free.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

I yell "Twitter drives engagement" as my hour long tweet can't even get above 1k likes

Musk is just dumb enough to make an *actual* effort to nuke bots while not understanding that if he succeeds, he's going to wipe out a huge part of what boosts the signals he supports.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Frank Frank posted:

Musk is just dumb enough to make an *actual* effort to nuke bots while not understanding that if he succeeds, he's going to wipe out a huge part of what boosts the signals he supports.

lol it owns

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Musk didn't have to tender an offer, or if he did he could have simply lowballed it and let the board reject him pro forma. He instead made an offer with a very high premium and the board said "gently caress yeah!" because they figured they had no reasonable way to grow to that valuation any time soon. In this contract was written two key clauses that absolutely would have been bonkers and was likely vigorously warned against but ignored: one waived due diligence, the other allowed for specific performance. The first is essentially him saying he's buying the company "as-is" and that's more or less that. He made noises about "material misrepresentations" but they were weak arguments because, well, he kept shooting his defenses in the crotch by saying stuff that showed either contrary intent or knowledge he already knew about these "defects" before he signed. Discovery during the suit would have destroyed what tattered remnants there were of his defenses. Secondly, while there was a liquidated damages clause, it also in another breath say that either party could insist if they wanted on the fulfillment of the terms of this contract. Musk could break up only if Twitter agreed to not let him buy it. Otherwise Twitter would be sold at $54.20 per share, no questions asked. Why did Musk sign such a stupid contract? I still have my "he did a few too many rails of coke" theory from before.
i feel like the the "why did musk sign it?" is probably --- he didn't read it, and didn't listen to the lawyer. maybe didn't even let the lawyer try to explain.

but like, *how did it get written* --- because he sure as hell didn't write it. are his most trusted lawyers just... that incompetent? maybe all the competent ones quit/were fired?

alternatively/in addition, was Musk so serious about the purchase (initially) that he insisted to the lawyers that they write a "surefire" purchase contract?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

crime weed posted:

alternatively/in addition, was Musk so serious about the purchase (initially) that he insisted to the lawyers that they write a "surefire" purchase contract?

Yes

When in doubt, he is that stupid.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

MrQwerty posted:

lol it owns

I wouldn't get too excited because he fired all the people who could actually make it happen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

crime weed posted:

i feel like the the "why did musk sign it?" is probably --- he didn't read it, and didn't listen to the lawyer. maybe didn't even let the lawyer try to explain.

but like, *how did it get written* --- because he sure as hell didn't write it. are his most trusted lawyers just... that incompetent? maybe all the competent ones quit/were fired?

His lawyers (I assume) drafted a contract that was already pretty favourable to Twitter, then Twitter added some amendments that were even more favourable to them and he signed it anyway.

This was all before Tesla's and Twitter's stock prices tanked and he still thought he was getting a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

crime weed posted:

It feels like a late night drunken Ebay bid, but it still had to go through both an army of lawyers and the process of wrangling up $44 billion. He had so many chances to turn back.