Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's hard for newbies to know which version of python they're running

If you only install one version, ever, then PATH doesn't matter you can just hard code the path to python.exe

PATH is cool and you want to push the nightmare of knowing where every end user on every os imaginable is, but it's ok you can just hard code it on your local copy, I won't tell anyone :ssh:

The nice thing about python is that every part of it is interpreted, which means as the end user you can just... Modify it however you like to suit your needs. In terms of programming languages it's pretty readable and MIT has been using it as a teaching language for at least a dozen years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Corridor Digital is working on using Stable Diffusion, Dreambooth, and EBSynth to make actual animation that doesn't look janky. They'll have a video dropping on their youtube channel tomorrow or Monday that is amazing (it was released on their subscriber site today, which is where I saw it).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never asked any questions related to PATH. The install instructions explicitly say "Make sure it puts the Python folder in your Windows environment path. It does not do this by default, but there is a setting you can change during install. If this doesn't work, you can do it manually." and I said I assumed that meant to install Python into the /windows/ directory (because of the error mentioned below and because it does not default to /windows/), then asked a question about why Python was unable to update Torch.

The replies were about (1) PATH and (2) Absolutely do not put python in the /windows/ directory

(1) is helpful but I had already clicked that during install (2) makes the entire system unworkable because it requires Python being in the /windows/ directory, and if Python is not installed there it errors out immediately.

So I'm more confused after asking in this thread than I was before :v: I'll just stick to MJ

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 13, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I never asked any questions related to PATH. The install instructions explicitly say "Make sure it puts the Python folder in your Windows environment path. It does not do this by default, but there is a setting you can change during install. If this doesn't work, you can do it manually." and I said I assumed that meant to install Python into the /windows/ directory, then asked a question about why Python was unable to update Torch.

The replies were about (1) PATH and (2) Absolutely do not put python in the /windows/ directory

(1) is helpful but I had already clicked that during install (2) makes the entire system unworkable because it requires Python being in the /windows/ directory, and if Python is not installed there it errors out immediately.

So I'm more confused after asking in this thread than I was before :v:

Apologies if the instructions are unclear, I will update to be more specific.

As several replies have said, you need Python's installer to be in your PATH, which is a Windows environment variable. Go find python.exe wherever you installed it, copy that path (C:\Program Files\python\ or whatever). Place that path in your PATH environment variable.

To do this manually in Windows 10:

1. Go to System -> Control Panel

2. Click the Advanced system settings link.

3. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit. If the PATH environment variable does not exist, click New.

4. In the Edit System Variable (or New System Variable) window, paste the path to your Python.exe. Click OK.

(In case you're wondering, the reason it may have worked for you when you installed Python to C:\Windows is because C:\Windows is by default already in the PATH. But there's a variety of reasons not to install things there.)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am not having any issues with path

If I run webui.bat

If Python is NOT installed to /windows/ I get this error.

If the python directory does exist in /windows/ (as in, I have uninstalled python and reinstalled it to /windows/) (which I was told NOT to do after posting ITT), I get the error reported in the post where i asked the question.

code:
RuntimeError: Couldn't install torch.
Command: "C:\stable-diffusion-webui-master\stable-diffusion-webui-master\venv\Scripts\python.exe" -m pip install torch==1.12.1+cu113 torchvision==0.13.1+cu113 --extra-index-url https://download.pytorch.org/whl/cu113
Error code: 1
stdout: Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://download.pytorch.org/whl/cu113

stderr: ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement torch==1.12.1+cu113 (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for torch==1.12.1+cu113
If I try running webui.py it crashes immediately with an error.

If I try running the same string directly in the python console, it points to pip as the invalid syntax

It does this even if I switch the string to reference python.exe in the directory where python is installed:

and pip does exist in the scripts directory there:

I don't know anything about Python (and don't care to) but this is what happened just following the instructions word-for-word and doing everything right :smith:

I don't really care about fixing this because MJ works well enough for me, but just wanted to post it because of the insinuation that anyone struggling with installing it is making it harder than it needs to be. Python is some erudite poo poo that makes a lot less sense than people who are familiar with it think. It's easy to learn, I'm sure, but it's pretty incomprehensible without any background knowledge in it compared to any of the web dev languages I'm used to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 13, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I don't really care about fixing this because MJ works well enough for me, but just wanted to post it because of the insinuation that anyone struggling with installing it is making it harder than it needs to be. Python is some erudite poo poo that makes a lot less sense than people who are familiar with it think. It's easy to learn, I'm sure, but it's pretty incomprehensible without any background knowledge in it compared to any of the web dev languages I'm used to.

You don't have to know any Python to get SD running locally. I don't know Python. I didn't edit anything other than the webui-user.bat file. If you're in the Python console, you're already way beyond what is required in a normal setup. I'm not saying you did anything wrong or dumb; Python in particular is super fiddly and obtuse.

I suspect your issues are coming from the Python runtime environment itself. I've read accounts of it being difficult about installing different versions or in different folders. I unfortunately don't know enough about it to help un-gently caress it.

If MJ works better for you, by all means keep using it.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/W6QAySU.mp4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

You don't have to know any Python to get SD running locally. I don't know Python. I didn't edit anything other than the webui-user.bat file. If you're in the Python console, you're already way beyond what is required in a normal setup. I'm not saying you did anything wrong or dumb; Python in particular is super fiddly and obtuse.

I suspect your issues are coming from the Python runtime environment itself. I've read accounts of it being difficult about installing different versions or in different folders. I unfortunately don't know enough about it to help un-gently caress it.

If MJ works better for you, by all means keep using it.

yeah now that it's in an unknown state it's going to be a lot harder to debug the install than it would be to install it from a known totally-uninstalled state

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

But enough about Skyrim modding

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I am not having any issues with path

If I run webui.bat

If Python is NOT installed to /windows/ I get this error.
This is only happening because you installed it to /windows/ in the first place (and then moved it out). During its first-time setup when you first ran it, it set up a venv config with (among other things) the exact location of the python install it was using, and now that you moved your install it can't find it. If you delete the "venv" folder and rerun it, it should do that first-time setup again pointing to your new saner install location and then work just fine.

quote:

If the python directory does exist in /windows/ (as in, I have uninstalled python and reinstalled it to /windows/) (which I was told NOT to do after posting ITT), I get the error reported in the post where i asked the question.

code:
RuntimeError: Couldn't install torch.
Command: "C:\stable-diffusion-webui-master\stable-diffusion-webui-master\venv\Scripts\python.exe" -m pip install torch==1.12.1+cu113 torchvision==0.13.1+cu113 --extra-index-url https://download.pytorch.org/whl/cu113
Error code: 1
stdout: Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://download.pytorch.org/whl/cu113

stderr: ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement torch==1.12.1+cu113 (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for torch==1.12.1+cu113

This has nothing to do with pip missing, in fact you can see from the output that pip is starting to run just fine -- but it's failing with a RuntimeError when it fails to find a compatible version of torch. Honestly I don't know why that is, but it might be because you're running python 3.11 instead of 3.10.6, the version the webui specifically says it needs and the version the instructions say to install. Python version compatibility is a pain in the rear end.

quote:

If I try running webui.py it crashes immediately with an error.
That's normal. Webui.bat does the essential setup and then launches the .py file for you, you aren't meant to run webui.py on its own.

quote:

If I try running the same string directly in the python console, it points to pip as the invalid syntax
That's also normal. This is a python syntax error because none of those commands are python code, they are windows command-line arguments to python.exe. They run in the windows console.
They won't run in the python console, just like "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --guest --new-window" won't do anything if you type it in the google chrome address bar. (If you type it into cmd.exe you'll open a new guest-profile window in chrome). But you shouldn't need to manually do any of that.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 13, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

best i can do:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WhiteHowler posted:

Reposting this, maybe you're making it harder than it needs to be?

I've used these steps to install SD a couple of times on different Windows machines with no issues.

about to do a lot of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It probably uses the same VRAM as "normal" textual inversion / embedding training.
The internet says that requires a minimum of about 12gb, which is like a 3080 or better.

Although you could also do it on a paid service like colab or runpod for a few dollars.
The old method works on my 8GB 1070 so it might not be that bad

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

and pip does exist in the scripts directory there:

I've had all the issues you did. It's a piece of poo poo.

First of all, try https://github.com/cmdr2/stable-diffusion-ui instead and see if it's not more to your liking. It does 9 out of 10 things A1111 does.

When you still want to install A1111: You're installing the newest Python version. It specifically wants 3.10.6, so uninstall 3.11 and install 3.10.6 to whatever default folder the installer wants (I've honestly come to believe A1111 is so poo poo, it matters), then make sure the folder is in PATH in Environmental Variables in Windows, and delete the /venv/ folder it made. (In fact, loving delete the whole thing and get it fresh from git again just to make sure. Just don't forget to backup the .cktp file.) That should fix the Python thing. (What a piece of poo poo.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 13, 2022

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021

Megazver posted:

First of all, try https://github.com/cmdr2/stable-diffusion-ui instead and see if it's not more to your liking. It does 9 out of 10 things A1111 does.

When you still want to install A1111: You're installing the newest Python version. It specifically wants 3.10.6, so uninstall 3.11 and install 3.10.6 to whatever default folder the installer wants (I've honestly come to believe A1111 is so poo poo, it matters), then make sure the folder is in PATH in Environmental Variables in Windows, and delete the /venv/ folder it made. (In fact, loving delete the whole thing and get it fresh from git again just to make sure. Just don't forget to backup the .cktp file.) That should fix the Python thing. (What a piece of poo poo.)

Pretty sure that's the fix, I ran into the same issue and remember having to roll back a version.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Here's a curated bunch from my results that were/are intended to be phone wallpapers:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"Stairway to heaven, by M.C Escher"

"a fat mature obese Bulgarian grandpa, civil servant, half-balding, with a skeleton, in a basement, 1982 color film flash photography"

thats not how skeletons work midjourney :argh:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ohhh so that's what big boned means!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Fat Mature Obese Bulgarian Grandpa Expanded Multimedia Universe coming along well!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWVHCYZ_Zs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've found the most single minded midjourney user in existence. What would you do with unlimited art masterpices?

"I'll tell you what I'd do, two chicks at the same time :hai:"
https://www.midjourney.com/app/users/1009321927023796364/

literally thousands of variations of this image, thats it :v:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I had the same problem. Uninstall Python, install *exactly* version 3.10.6 making sure to check the PATH button, delete the venv directory, reboot and try again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

I've found the most single minded midjourney user in existence. What would you do with unlimited art masterpices?

"I'll tell you what I'd do, two chicks at the same time :hai:"
https://www.midjourney.com/app/users/1009321927023796364/

literally thousands of variations of this image, thats it :v:

I could understand that if the dude was running it locally cus you can just set your pc up to grind away in "generate forever" mode on a prompt while you're out of the house or something.
But on MJ he has to pay for each of those generations right?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Megazver posted:

I just did this and I am having fun with it.

Spent about an hour not being able to install torch and then read this and decided I'm not trying to gently caress around with installing extremely specific instances of python at 3AM lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"OK, General, we've heard enough. Where's this new secret weapon you've been hiding from us?"

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 13, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my attempts at a chicken standing on a dog standing on a sheep continue to scar me in new and exciting ways

MJ v4 actually got me closer than ever before, though I had to hit the variation button 20 times to get even this close to the sheep not looking like a dog

I enjoy the way it really wanted to make the dog stand on grass

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I could understand that if the dude was running it locally cus you can just set your pc up to grind away in "generate forever" mode on a prompt while you're out of the house or something.
But on MJ he has to pay for each of those generations right?

There is an "unlimited" mode, but you have to wait in line. You only pay credits to skip to the head of the line and render your images first. However there is a ten image limit in the queue, so he has to be logged in and hitting refresh manually on those images. Or maybe he made some custom bot to click for him!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This was the very first image I made when an AI art thread was first made here - 'two giants fighting in a city of gold'

Made this today - 'a battle between gigantic golden figures in an ancient, massive city' (more or less)

The first image was made in April of this year.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, it's nuts.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
bonkers

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
More cool news in AI art (but not super relevant to goons)
Some Chinese researchers have made an open-source model trained on the actual Chinese language
https://huggingface.co/IDEA-CCNL/Taiyi-Stable-Diffusion-1B-Chinese-v0.1, paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.02970

Previously all the big models were English-language only, and non-multilingual fans in e.g. China and Japan were groping around in the dark, and doing stuff like organizing big "spellbooks" of poorly understood english language phrases to feed the AI with, with their meanings/effects written alongside them in CN.

The fact that they have apparently managed to retarget the trained-in-English stable diffusion to actually be usable in native Chinese is a big accessibility win for all the AI nerds in China who wanted to play with it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm really really enjoying this

hi res album here

quote:

dieselpunk [thing here] with oil pipes and trees with glowing reflections on water, cel shaded, intricately detailed, thick black sharp lines, 2d, sharp focus, cinematic, moebius!!!, ghibli!!
Seed: 9437677, Sampler: euler_a, Inference Steps: 75, Guidance Scale: 7.5, Model: v1-5-pruned,

Negative Prompt: person, people, human, Deformed, blurry, lowres, bad anatomy, disfigured, poorly drawn face, mutation, mutated, extra limb, ugly, poorly drawn hands, missing limb, blurry, floating limbs, disconnected limbs, malformed hands, blur, out of focus, long neck, long body, ((((mutated hands and fingers)))), (((out of frame))), Upscale: RealESRGAN_x4plus

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
finely dressed anthropomorphic radishes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

how the gently caress is it so good at this poo poo lol, I love it but it's spooky.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Corridor Digital is working on using Stable Diffusion, Dreambooth, and EBSynth to make actual animation that doesn't look janky. They'll have a video dropping on their youtube channel tomorrow or Monday that is amazing (it was released on their subscriber site today, which is where I saw it).

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWVHCYZ_Zs

Very interesting, I've been wanting to play around with exactly this workflow but haven't had the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"optical illusion paradox" is a banger of a prompt. Its like traveling through the back rooms or something

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rutibex posted:

"optical illusion paradox" is a banger of a prompt. Its like traveling through the back rooms or something

HOLY poo poo

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
poo poo can it do Escher-style tesselations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mindless posted:

poo poo can it do Escher-style tesselations?

yeah seems to be an infinite eschers generator
"optical illusion paradox by M.C.escher"