Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

that literally might be the first instance of anyone ever coming to a reasonable outcome from the data hub stuff -

because literally anytime anyone ever asks "okay so this data is good and all, but what can i do with all this fancy data" is typically met with ????????

In real life people are essentially using data to work out player attributes. Since we can see most of the attributes used directly in the match engine the best use case for the data is to work out what those attributes actually do (individually and in combination) and which are important. If you are shown that your Tackling 18 Aggression 20 DM has awful tackling numbers then maybe that's the first step to realising you need Acceleration and Agility in the engine room.

It's complexity for FM beginners. Not useless but definitely a weird niche. It's also a big deal for internal match engine testing. There's a few people who run a poo poo ton of soaks and pick apart the data to try to get everything "realistic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got FM23 the other night. Started a save with a team in the lowest Spanish division. I think I'll be waiting for the full release before I continue on (and I'll restart the save.) There's been a couple of small things putting me off. One was I was in pre-season and the fans were "Furious" with my management despite them offering no complaints, me winning most of my pre-season games, and them actually being positive about a few things. Another is some of the new menus are weird in how they flow. Clicking back doesn't take you to where you'd think it would go, and it's difficult to wrap your noodle around.

Finally, a big complaint about something actually positive. They've been talking about "midfield chaos" since FM21, how things should happen more randomly more realistically with misplaced passes, interceptions, bad ball control, etc. That's actually implement and looks very good. It's something I'm really happy about because, I'd guess, it means your team is more likely to play badly, believably, especially against much better opposition. The counter to this is that it's difficult to guage what tactical adjustment is needed to balance out what's going wrong. Even with extended highlights I'm not getting the information I need to make improvements. The info is still there, it just takes longer to discover. It took me three matches to realise I needed to drop my defence deeper a notch, whereas that'd be something you could spot within one half of a match in former versions. Maybe this is a good thing? Whatever it is it's a change. The chaos in the match is covering up what may be obvious problems.

I have a feeling the release day patch will smooth out a lot of areas, which is why I'll wait. They'll all be small adjustments but they'll be valuable. Plus I'll get to do the name fixes. The only problem with this is I'll have to wait until the 8th and I don't particularly have any desire for a short term save.

Also, maybe a knock on of the "chaos" a lot of people are talking about goalkeepers and defenders making obvious boneheaded mistakes. I don't know if this is an online nerd thing not realising that's how a lot of goals are scored in real life, and because you're only seeing highlights it seems weird. Either way it's a complaint I have seen, if not really experienced.

edit: also the nets look way better. A+ nets.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You play on Extended?

Casual.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Everyone knows you should instant result all your matches so you can get to the important part of the game, the press conferences.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

mrnoun posted:

Everyone knows you should instant result all your matches so you can get to the important part of the game, the press conferences.

These need to go.

It's easy to skip but insane that there are players who don't. It's the least interesting feature I've seen in a game ever, and it breaks ~~~my immersion~~~ to have my assistant doing all the talking for me.

csidle fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 30, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

give me director of football mode or give me death

i want to be able to fire a manager for loving up the invincible season 5 games in lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I just want to be able to make weird ornate set piece routines with players running over the ball and dragging defenders out of position and stuff.

Probably impossible to balance, but fun.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I took over Badalona Fut for my first save with FM23, in the Spanish fourth tier. Of course staying within the wage budget was top priority, and of course they had some massive clangers on huge wages pushing them 20% over budget, and of course the fans are angry at me about this despite me not signing any of them, and of course we're missing depth in some key areas. We were predicted to get to the promotion playoffs but I spent most of my initial time figuring out who I could get rid off. Sold their "star player," who was loving useless, along with a few other wastes, and got them down to below the wage budget. Then I signed two cheap players who could play a role straight away and a couple of backup players for depth. I was over the wage budget at the start, then got to €7 below the €25,000 p/w wage budget about three or four months in.

By the halfway point we were within three or four points of top place so I pushed the wage budget out again, despite bing about €600k in the red. gently caress 'em, it's a wage budget and I'm there to run a football team not manage finances. With about six games to go we were top. With three games to go a draw and a win would get automatic promotion for us, the top spot, and not needing to go through a playoff. We won all three to finish clear ahead. Boom, wage budget increased by 60% which I proceed to spend over the off season. After the end of the league the board merely wanted us to avoid relegation from the third tier, after my spending they now want us to finish in the top half. I think I can manage that, but if FM had realistic owners they'd be stripping copper out of the offices and stadium. I've no clue how any team could survive given what the finances are.

My FM22 4231 tactic worked with some tweaking. It took a few matches at the beginning of the game to dial it in, and I don't know if it works for centre backs yet because some games they're amazing and some they play like drains. It's possible CBs were nerfed a little because last year any CB I signed was my most dependable position. This is also my first save in an age I have to deal with squad registration rules. My last two saves in Ireland let you play anyone from any number of people in a squad. It'd a bit of a different beast, even if the Spanish rules aren't too bad and mainly age based.

The squad planner is a nice feature, especially now that I had some time to actually build a squad I wanted. And the other thing I noticed was I had no "mid-season slump." If SI by saying, "AI managers react better," mean that there isn't one single recalculation at the midway point it'd make a lot of sense.

All in all. Fun game. Took a little time to get used to. And the matches are far more enjoyable to watch with greater variety in them. Not seeing the same goals and the same snippets of animations all the time is great. And I think they've actually made it so your team can play badly, believably.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just got sacked from my first job in FM23 at Yantra Gabrovo in Bulgaria (I wanted to get away from England and my wife thought their logo was cute). I need to start paying better attention I guess. I pulled in a handful of decent young players for depth but most of my attention was on the tactic. It never quite came together despite looking okay in preseason. Won and drew a couple of games to start off. Then lost five straight and got the sack.

There were some unfortunate injuries but even so we just couldn't score. Do y'all usually build your tactics from scratch based on your best XI? Or do you have a favorite tactic that you usually use and find guys that fit it?

Anyways I'm at another Bulgarian club now and am using the tactic my rear end man recommended with a few minor tweaks. Transfer window just opened but I'm not sure I really need to do much. I'd know for sure but I can't find the squad depth thing that was in 22. It's probably part of the new squad planner but I can't figure it out. It showed all the positions based on your current tactic and how many players fit those roles and their current abilities.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

apophenium posted:

There were some unfortunate injuries but even so we just couldn't score. Do y'all usually build your tactics from scratch based on your best XI? Or do you have a favorite tactic that you usually use and find guys that fit it?

Build a tactic around your best 2 or 3 attacking players. Where do they need to be to do what they are good at? The rest are only there to fill gaps. When in doubt go 4-4-1-1.

I checked out a couple of streams of people playing FM23 and holy poo poo do American "content creators" have some wild ideas of tactics. One guy doing a Swansea save with two AF-A and an AM-A behind them. No holding midfielder. Highest tempo attacking mentality. Literal schoolboy stuff.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

Build a tactic around your best 2 or 3 attacking players. Where do they need to be to do what they are good at? The rest are only there to fill gaps. When in doubt go 4-4-1-1.

I checked out a couple of streams of people playing FM23 and holy poo poo do American "content creators" have some wild ideas of tactics. One guy doing a Swansea save with two AF-A and an AM-A behind them. No holding midfielder. Highest tempo attacking mentality. Literal schoolboy stuff.

I don't go in for streams much but have been slowly working through Zealand playing as Oriental Dragon in Portugal (think it's FM21) as my "something on in the background while working" and he knows his stuff pretty well.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't hear you over the sound of my 4231 EXTREME GEGENPRESS 40+ GOALS PER GAME UNBEATABLE TACTIC

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
What I don't understand with the streamers is they're constantly switching the role someone plays. Thirty minutes in they switch, then sixty minutes, then seventy five. If someone comes on they switch to the role they're most capable for. Sure, I understand that you want someone playing in a way they're suited to, but you also want a coherent tactic.

I'd prefer to have someone play a role/position they're sub-optimal in that actually makes sense with regards to how my other players are playing rather than just fire everyone into their best position with no consideration for how the tactic works.

I get the 4231 Extreme Gegenpress joke, but I do play with a 4231 (not)Extreme Gegenpress and I rarely have to switch things around. If it's a tight game, or another team is putting me under serious pressure I might force them inside or outside depending on where the threat is. Sometimes I might step up or down the defense line. With the new tactic controls I stopped crosses once. Figure out a tactic that works to who you have, then build a team suited to that tactic as you go on. Don't go loving wizard on it with everything switching on and off like the lights in a pinball machine. You're not Pep in a Champion's League final.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
No, I’m Vin Deezenutsel in the Champions League final, and if I want to play a narrow 4-3-3 with 3 trequartistas leading the attack, then by god I will.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Does this game just have one tactic that dominates every year regardless of opponent tactics and will almost always win based on the level of composition? That's kind of sad.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JustJeff88 posted:

Does this game just have one tactic that dominates every year regardless of opponent tactics and will almost always win based on the level of composition? That's kind of sad.

No, no there are about a dozen lol

ive been playing 4-3-3 gegenpress for years and it overperforms every year.

also the AI is really bad at the game.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Football has a few tactics that dominate. What teams played 15 years ago won't work, compared to what teams played 30 years ago, 45 years ago, 60 years ago.

There are schools of thought about what a successful tactic is. There are variations within all of them and how you maximise them for your team is how you go from mid division to challenging for top spots. A team with better players will generally do better, because they are better. But if you put them playing in a way that's not correct they'll play below their ability. Then there's all the off-pitch stuff. Like, I have a good player, his attributes say he is definitely very good, but he doesn't fit into the social circles in the team so his attributes are nerfed a bit and he doesn't play as well as he should.

The problem with FM, at the high levels, is that defensive tactics don't work out too well, and counter attacking tactics aren't as powerful as they should be. But there's a meta in FM just the same as there is in real football.

Edit: And even with that, a defensive tactic is something that is very specific in modern football for a very good team. Few will play it because it is difficult to do. If you're a poor team and your playing a defensive tactic it's because you're trying to turn losses into draws. The same is somewhat true with counter attacking tactics, albeit less so.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 2, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

The problem with FM, at the high levels, is that defensive tactics don't work out too well, and counter attacking tactics aren't as powerful as they should be. But there's a meta in FM just the same as there is in real football.

Eventually every FM save where you don't get fired will see your team become high reputation within its league, at which point most of your opponents will be playing Defensive versions of their tactics. They sit deep, keep extra men behind the ball, and attack narrow. The gegenpress meme approach is ideal for that type of thing, as it is in real life. So whether you start as a giant franchise or simply have success with a proper club, the "endgame" will be playing 4-2-3-1 variants with lots of bodies in the opposition half, and no one running in behind (there's no space there).

Defensive/counter tactics work really well in the game, better than real life imo, but the window in which they're appropriate is pretty short. Get promoted, stick two banks of 4 behind the ball and have a fast lad or two up top and you'll be top 6 by Christmas even if your squad is dogshit. Then your reputation changes and teams play more Defensively, and results fall off a cliff. Players declare the game rigged and that the AI has decided you have to start losing. Really they just haven't noticed that there's an extra defender or two standing in the way of their yolo attacking play.

This logic is also at work within each match. If you go 2-0 up and suddenly the opposition are having more of the game it's probably because they've changed their approach from "please don't lose" to "we should try to score". You can overperform massively with any tactic if you figure out what little changes to make for when teams are pushing forward/sitting back. And that's where defensive/counter approaches can still shine. Turn a 2-0 into a 4-0 by playing on the break for the last half hour, when if you keep gegenpressing empty spaces you might feel some pressure.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Eventually every FM save where you don't get fired will see your team become high reputation within its league, at which point most of your opponents will be playing Defensive versions of their tactics. They sit deep, keep extra men behind the ball, and attack narrow. The gegenpress meme approach is ideal for that type of thing, as it is in real life. So whether you start as a giant franchise or simply have success with a proper club, the "endgame" will be playing 4-2-3-1 variants with lots of bodies in the opposition half, and no one running in behind (there's no space there).

Defensive/counter tactics work really well in the game, better than real life imo, but the window in which they're appropriate is pretty short. Get promoted, stick two banks of 4 behind the ball and have a fast lad or two up top and you'll be top 6 by Christmas even if your squad is dogshit. Then your reputation changes and teams play more Defensively, and results fall off a cliff. Players declare the game rigged and that the AI has decided you have to start losing. Really they just haven't noticed that there's an extra defender or two standing in the way of their yolo attacking play.

This logic is also at work within each match. If you go 2-0 up and suddenly the opposition are having more of the game it's probably because they've changed their approach from "please don't lose" to "we should try to score". You can overperform massively with any tactic if you figure out what little changes to make for when teams are pushing forward/sitting back. And that's where defensive/counter approaches can still shine. Turn a 2-0 into a 4-0 by playing on the break for the last half hour, when if you keep gegenpressing empty spaces you might feel some pressure.

I was promoted this year, in the tier up I won 16 games in the league in a row barring one loss. Suddenly my 433 gegenpress designed to knock balls into IFs/Ws coming in on the opposite side turned to dogshit. I either lost or drew six in a row, couldn't buy a win. Now I switched to a 4231 slow tempo passing game and I'm winning again. poo poo total XG but I'm winning games by two.

Based on my first season I thought the "mid season slump" thing had been changed, but if there has been a change it's more that they've put it on a curve. They talked about AI managers reacting better, and knowing SI speak I think it means that recalculation can be more varied. With 16 games with only one loss teams stopped me from having any opportunity, whereas the season before where I was only in third place the tactic lasted all season. My impression would be they calculation is more gradiated compared to before, where it was just an on/off thing. Now teams can change slightly if you're doing OK, but if you're doing gangbusters they'll land a hammer on you. And it can happen over more stages of the season instead of being in a four match window at mid-season.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

In January and February I am playing:

Burnley
Arsenal
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Everton
Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man City
Tottenham
Arsenal
PSG

Bonkers scheduling. At least the run-in is easier.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I finished another season with Badalona Futur after getting promoted into tier 3 in Spain. I had a phenomenal start, 16 wins with only one loss. Then they started playing like drains and I couldn't turn them around for about seven matches. After that it was up and down. Some teams would park the bus against us, others would attack, so I never knew quite how to setup against them. My slow and patient 4231 was getting terrible XG but would sometimes net goals for me despite it. Going into the final three matches we were in second place and playing against top place. A win would see us go in front. I managed to draw so then it was a case of them dropping points in the last two games, which they did, but we still only managed another two draws. It was a disaster. Two wins would mean automatic promotion and we just couldn't get anything, being on the backfoot in both games. So it was down to the playoffs. We played a team from the second split of the third tier in our first game, and won easily 3-0, like, extremely easily. So we only had one game against a team in our own division to get promotion. 6-0 to us, again we just blew them away. Why the team couldn't play like that during the final games of the season I don't know. Still, we managed a back to back promotion.

Throughout the season we were plagued by injuries, one guy—my top AMR—even breaking his leg. The problem was our wage budget was slashed again halfway through the season because we were about 2.3m in debt. I didn't even bother looking at scout reports because there was simply no way we could bring anyone in. Even if I sold my highest earner (which I did) it still wouldn't bring the budget low enough to have money to get anyone else in. Our centre backs were terrible, no depth, and any more injuries elsewhere and I'd be screwed. Playing out the end of the season was a delicate balance of getting the most out of our scant starters while managing their game time. And trying to keep my interest in a team with seemingly no future. Even to the point, despite being near La Liga 2, that our allowed scouts number was changed to a big fat zero.

I said even if we got promotion I'd move on from Badalona Fut. But, of course, that changed when they bumped up the wage budget for next year again, with the promotion. I want to see how much money I get from being in La Liga 2 (not much, I'm guessing.) One of the board objectives is to repair the finances, which won't happen. We're getting about 500 people at home matches and in the third tier there was a team regularly getting 10,000. I'm going to do what I can with building up some depth in defence. I presume my budget will be slashed again mid-season, but I'm going to try my best (to bankrupt the club.)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

sebzilla posted:

In January and February I am playing:

Burnley
Arsenal
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Everton
Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man City
Tottenham
Arsenal
PSG

Bonkers scheduling. At least the run-in is easier.

The scheduling for the first season in top leagues is broken.

Just like in real life!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

The scheduling for the first season in top leagues is broken.

Just like in real life!

This is in FM21, ten seasons in

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got in a "heated argument" with my board and handed in a resignation during the off-season. Signed the players I needed, went over wage budget again but they were all going through, except the board wouldn't pay for about €50k of signing bonuses. Threatened them, they said if that's how you feel you should resign. So I did.

Now, despite all their budget issues they signed a manager to replace me at double what I was earning. The extra cost to them being the money I would have needed to sign my players.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they got a manager who’s less prone to having a nice meltdown so seems like they won overall

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Added bonus is they're firmly in the relegation spots with him now.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

FM is still a comfort thing for me so it would have been cool if they did anything interesting with the new game at all

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It'd be fun to have a "hardcore" mode where you don't get attribute scores at all and just have to work from how well players perform in games and vague "Jim McButts is quite good at passing imo" from your coaches and scouts. Make data analysts more useful.

Not for everyone, but just as an option.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

sebzilla posted:

It'd be fun to have a "hardcore" mode where you don't get attribute scores at all and just have to work from how well players perform in games and vague "Jim McButts is quite good at passing imo" from your coaches and scouts. Make data analysts more useful.

You can change the attribute colors at the beginning of a save to be that of the background color, and it’s the same thing.

I’ve seen a few streamers attempt it the past few months.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I think there are some skins that do that. Fully hide attributes. You have stats, match ratings and their in-game performance to go off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't there a mod that just makes stats into star ratings

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Azhais posted:

Ah, the 'Out of the Park' mode. That game has a number of rating systems... there's the 20-80 system in increments of five that are used in pro baseball scouting, 1-100, up to five stars, and one where you can only go by stats; that one even hides a player's likelihood of being injured, and OotP is hellish on injuries. Almost every player 33+ is a walking bandage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Stuff of nightmares.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Liking this years version so far. Walked the Championship with Inverness and now slapping Rangers around with a 40 year old Quaresma first season up.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I think this might be a skip year for me.

I went Champ Manager 2 -> FM20 buying it every year, FM21 was the first I skipped.

FM22 was a nice upgrade when I bought it, having skipped a year.

Doesn't seem to be enough in this year to really motivate me to buy it.

Another layer of gloss on some areas I barely interact with.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I genuinely love how many people this year are saying, "DEFENDERS ARE ACTING LIKE loving IDIOTS!" or "GOALKEEPERS KEEP MAKING STUPID loving MISTAKES!" and getting really pissy about it, like they haven't watched pretty much any football where a small percentage of goals are genius, a bigger percentage good play and sustained pressure, and quite a large proportion are teams being "loving idiots."

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Mrenda posted:

I genuinely love how many people this year are saying, "DEFENDERS ARE ACTING LIKE loving IDIOTS!" or "GOALKEEPERS KEEP MAKING STUPID loving MISTAKES!" and getting really pissy about it, like they haven't watched pretty much any football where a small percentage of goals are genius, a bigger percentage good play and sustained pressure, and quite a large proportion are teams being "loving idiots."

+1

Especially if you're watching on key highlights. "All I see are defenders not tracking runners or midfielders giving the ball away to start a counter attack".... well, yeah? If everyone played perfectly you wouldn't get any highlights at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There is definitely an issue with defenders not tracking aerial balls properly and just backing off until an attacker collects it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My AssMan just brought my backup Goalkeeper on during a Playoff game, and put him at Centre Back.

Someone's contract isn't getting renewed in the summer...

And I should probably stop putting a keeper on the bench anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

kingturnip posted:

And I should probably stop putting a keeper on the bench anyway.

What happens if your keeper gets hurt? I once dislocated my left shoulder (I'm right handed, fortunately) while keeping because some twat undercut my legs while I want up for a corner and I did a ~220 degree rotation and landed on my armpit. We didn't have another practised keeper and I had to stay on. Fortunately, it was already the 81st minute and we saved a draw. I had to parry one hard shot, though, to my off-side and it was pure agony.