Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I don't know anything about them. Are they nazis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're Trump supporters, so probably

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mauser posted:

I don't know anything about them. Are they nazis?

In the 80s they used the iconography in the same way that motorcycle gangs did. They could be Nazis for real though, dunno.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What does the S in slayer look like to you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EoinCannon posted:

In the 80s they used the iconography in the same way that motorcycle gangs did. They could be Nazis for real though, dunno.

This, mostly. They're one of the biggest thrash bands of all time. Basically anyone who's at all into extreme metal has an album or two laying around, so it's not like anyone in a Slayer shirt is fash.

But it's worth noting a lot of motorcycle gangs have historically been varying degrees of Nazi.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If you want to have a thread for music taste slapfights just make one already, when I click on this thread I'm primed for something amazing just for you to toy with my feelings.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Carthag Tuek posted:

i remember that book, it was some kind of choose your own adventure with extra rules for fighting monsters with dice rolls

The Fighting Fantasy book covers were legit great.
https://www.fightingfantasycollector.co.uk/book_covers.htm

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
moose big
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rl7fd39ysg1s1ddrj.mp4

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I want a cup of that guy's piss.

...I'd also like to test him for drugs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What a fuckin flex

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can't shake the feeling that he's creating some new and horrible lung condition for himself.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

By popular demand posted:

I can't shake the feeling that he's creating some new and horrible lung condition for himself.

see this is why i don't smoke tobacco or exercise

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The new guy millions of smokers will point to when they try to justify their lovely hobby. Used to be your grand-uncle who smoked two packs a day and it didn't harm him none.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Reminds me of elite Australian ultramarathon competitor Cliff Young who was just some old bloke off the farm whose family was so poor when he was a kid that they couldn't afford horses so he had to muster the stock by running after them in gumboots for decade after decade

quote:

In 1983, now aged 61 years old, Young won the inaugural Westfield Sydney to Melbourne Ultramarathon, a distance of 875 kilometres (544 mi). The race was run between what were then Australia's two largest Westfield shopping centres: Westfield Parramatta in Sydney and Westfield Doncaster in Melbourne. Young arrived to compete in overalls and work boots, without his dentures (later saying that they rattled when he ran). He ran at a slow and loping pace and trailed the pack by a large margin at the end of the first day. While the other competitors stopped to sleep for six hours, Young kept running. He ran continuously for five days, taking the lead during the first night and eventually winning by 10 hours. Before running the race, he had told the press that he had previously run for two to three days straight rounding up sheep in gumboots. He said afterwards that during the race he imagined he was running after sheep trying to outrun a storm. The Westfield run took him five days, fifteen hours and four minutes, almost two days faster than the previous record for any run between Sydney and Melbourne, at an average speed of 6.5 kilometres per hour (4.0 mph). All six competitors who finished the race broke the old record. Upon being awarded the prize of A$10,000 (equivalent to $32,067 in 2018), Young said that he did not know there was a prize and that he felt bad accepting it as each of the other five runners who finished had worked as hard as he did—so he split the money equally between them, keeping none.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Young_(athlete)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFA2N0oS1Q

He's like a real life anime character who did basic Mr Miyagi exercises for years and became the strongest fighter :v:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now Cliff Young is the wholesome type of badass we should all aspire to be.

No harmful tobacco dependence to dull his shine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Weren't a bunch of the runners (or cyclists?) in the first modern Olympics or something all drunk and doped up on ether or something like that?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It was very hosed up
listen to The Dollop podcast.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Weren't a bunch of the runners (or cyclists?) in the first modern Olympics or something all drunk and doped up on ether or something like that?

It was 1896 so yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If it was laudanum it was probably both

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jon Bois also has a good video on it if someone doesn't want to listen to a (good) long podcast episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

Though the video itself is still 20+ minutes...

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
My grandma once shared a train compartment with eddy merckx during the time he was the primer cyclist in the world. She said that he killed a handle of brandy, smoked two packets of cigarettes and was obviously coked out of his mind. Bring back performance hindering drugs!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The Lone Badger posted:

It was 1896 so yes.

Also in 1904: https://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/11/12439622/1904-st-louis-olympic-marathon-pretty-good

Edit: gently caress, beaten

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Borscht posted:

My grandma once shared a train compartment with eddy merckx during the time he was the primer cyclist in the world. She said that he killed a handle of brandy, smoked two packets of cigarettes and was obviously coked out of his mind. Bring back performance hindering drugs!

Ah, the days of Babe Ruth, when this dude was a top athlete

Dude smoked, drank, ate poorly, and cheated on his wife constantly.

quote:

Harry Hooper, who likened Babe Ruth to a god, also thought the Sultan of Swat had god-awful eating habits. According to Babe Ruth and the 1918 Red Sox, Hooper said, "Lord, he ate too much. When we were traveling, he'd stop and order half a dozen hot dogs and just as many bottles of soda pop, stuff them in one after the other, and then give a few big belches. That would hold him for a couple of hours." And that wasn't the half of it.

quote:

When Babe Ruth wasn't inhaling hot dogs, he was gobbling up cold beef. While visiting manager Jack Barry, he insisted on devouring raw hamburgers. The Boston Post reported that according to Ruth's wife, almost every day, he ate "two-and-a-half pounds of rare beef steak" with a whole bottle of chili sauce. Having an audience only egged him on, writes Marshall Smelser in The Life that Ruth Built. During a six-hour outing in New York, Ruth had two massive dinners with two gigantic snacks in between. Each dinner consisted of two porterhouse steaks, a double-order of cottage-fried potatoes, two heads of lettuce, and two apple pies a la mode. Both "snacks" were made up of four hot dogs and four bottles of Coca-Cola.

Don't get me wrong, he was actually a star athlete. It's just impressive that he could do it while eating and acting like your old drunken unemployed uncle.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
someone linked this in one of the various cycling threads a little bit ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TWSWSZjJ08

chasse à la canette

Mauser has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Nov 22, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Baseball IS the most dadbod pro sport but babe Ruth was something else.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In modern baseball (in particular in the National League) pitchers aren't that big on actually batting. That's why this is so fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

CzarChasm posted:

Ah, the days of Babe Ruth, when this dude was a top athlete

Dude smoked, drank, ate poorly, and cheated on his wife constantly.

Don't get me wrong, he was actually a star athlete. It's just impressive that he could do it while eating and acting like your old drunken unemployed uncle.

This photo is post retirement, not when he was an active player

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So whilst we are doing bad-arse runners. Let me tell you the tale of John Steven Akhwari from Tanzania.

In the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Marathon, he came stone motherless last. More than an hour after everyone else had finished, they were packing up the course behind him. The sun had gone down and only a few stragglers were left in the stadium to see him finish. And finish he did, with a bandaged leg, an injured shoulder, and in pain from cramps brought on by the altitude, he limped his way across the finish line.

Why? When he was no chance of winning a medal, and indeed, the race had been all but over for more than an hour.

"My country didn't send me 5,000 miles to start this race. They sent me 5,000 to finish the race."

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

By popular demand posted:

Now Cliff Young is the wholesome type of badass we should all aspire to be.

No harmful tobacco dependence to dull his shine.

looks like he married a 23 yo after doing his ultra marathon thing

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BrigadierSensible posted:

So whilst we are doing bad-arse runners. Let me tell you the tale of John Steven Akhwari from Tanzania.

In the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Marathon, he came stone motherless last. More than an hour after everyone else had finished, they were packing up the course behind him. The sun had gone down and only a few stragglers were left in the stadium to see him finish. And finish he did, with a bandaged leg, an injured shoulder, and in pain from cramps brought on by the altitude, he limped his way across the finish line.

Why? When he was no chance of winning a medal, and indeed, the race had been all but over for more than an hour.

"My country didn't send me 5,000 miles to start this race. They sent me 5,000 to finish the race."

Dang son, you didn't have to hurt yourself that bad to prove you got the biggest balls on planet earth.
:stare:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlrn49U4Rv1r0uzl6.mp4

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Is that Zuul or Vinz Clortho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you don’t check the server list and accidentally log into a counterstrike surfing map

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I love how you can barely tell that he ate poo poo towards the end

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He was eating poo poo the whole way

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TEN-EIGHTY