Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fullroundaction posted:

Smash was a thrash album that was marketed as punk because no one knew what to do with it. If you skip the radio hits it’s still a fun listen.

If you disagree it’s simply because you’re not as good at listening to music as I am.

Thrash at its core is just punk made by dudes who liked DnD but also loved beer.

And offspring are most definitely pop punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Phosphine posted:

Almost everyone, including themself and also the music industry?

That's precisely what I'm saying: far fewer people wouldn't consider The Offspring a punk band than I would.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Warbird posted:

The Aquabats are the only true punk band.

😡😡😡

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Buddy if you ain’t dressed up as a schlubby pseudo superhero group with other dudes in your 40s, you ain’t punk.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Warbird posted:

Buddy if you ain’t dressed up as a schlubby pseudo superhero group with other dudes in your 40s, you ain’t punk.

Gwar is punk

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

That's precisely what I'm saying: far fewer people wouldn't consider The Offspring a punk band than I would.

The more commercial stuff they make now is not the same as the stuff they made in their first two records:

There's are all from the first album and are all very much 'banging poo poo out in my basement'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR1b1IGvJx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLriFOSW0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDVA9O5gQc

If the first offspring song you heard was that horrible get a job song you'll probably have a very different impression to someone who listened to it from the start.

There's arguably four anti-war songs and an eat the rich song on their first album, compared to their latests album which I didn't listen to because of the whole 'gen x are actually terrible after all' vibe they have going.

Party Ape has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Nov 13, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
EDIT: ^ thanks for the link

Offspring had a track called "Kill the President" on their first album, that's pretty punk imo. It's less punk that they took it out of the album when it got re-released, but it's insane to me that you would claim they were never a punk band just because they got older. What's your definition of punk even supposed to be, that the music has to sound like rear end?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Gatekeeping music genres has the same energy as different flavors of leftists attacking each other because they disagree on which font is most proletarian to print their manifesto in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

There's nothing less punk than arguing about what isn't punk, ironically that is most of what punk is

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I was a huge Offspring fan in my youth and I would not call them punk simply because they were good and most punk is terrible.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

"fewer" is correct, it's a countable

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Serperoth posted:

We need less energy like this fyi

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

If most people don't consider The Offspring a punk band - and I'm not saying they wouldn't, but if they did - that's still far more than it would've been if most people hadn't. Yes or no?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

e:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If most people don't consider The Offspring a punk band - and I'm not saying they wouldn't, but if they did - that's still far more than it would've been if most people hadn't. Yes or no?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
HEY HEY
YOU YOU
I DON'T LIKE YOUR DERAIL

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

HEY HEY
YOU YOU
I DON'T LIKE YOUR DERAIL

This isn't very punk

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lmao. Bad Religion Christmas Album

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Boy this genre that is defined by not following the rules and doing what you want despite convention sure has some very strict requirements!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I heard an interview once with one of those 1970s British Iggy Pop era dudes and he was of the opinion that Punk died the moment some journalist for a very concerned middle class newspaper coined the term "Punk Rock" to explain to its readership just what was going on with these scary kids in London, and then corporate record labels picked up the term to be able to package and sell it, thereby putting a fence around it. That's what makes Punk gatekeeping very funny - for the original people who were making what became called "Punk Rock" it was about unlabelled, unrestricted experimentation (according to the dude in the interview).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got a couple giggles out of it but at no point did I vomit

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Lmao. Bad Religion Christmas Album

This is the only Christmas music my children will listen to because the old versions are “corny”.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't really care about defining strict lines between musical genres but still want to participate in the derail, so I'm here to say that Disco Elysium is coppunk.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Serperoth posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've seen Aqua labelled as punk

Also, this derail is fun. Can we gatekeep death metal next? Ooo, lets gatekeep baroque art!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

which music genre even wants to claim the offspring?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rainbow Knight posted:

which music genre even wants to claim the offspring?

Dad rock.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dad rock keeps claiming more and more punk bands. Their expansion must be stopped!

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Y'all act like Oi to the World, the greatest Punk Christmas Album doesn't even exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlfuqViMUs

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

If it's on a Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtrack it is punk.
Johnny Cash? Punk. KISS? Very punk. Sublime? Oh you know it's punk baby.

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1591536694536376320

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So you're all saying that The Offspring is more of a rogue-lite than a rogue-like?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bigperm posted:

Y'all act like Oi to the World, the greatest Punk Christmas Album doesn't even exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlfuqViMUs

Saw them on warped tour in 04. They were big unironic Dubya supporters

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Gatekeeping music genres has the same energy as different flavors of leftists attacking each other because they disagree on which font is most proletarian to print their manifesto in.

Counterpoint, singing about murdering your abusive spouse, hiding the body, and going into a business venture with your potentially gay lover is both punk and hip hop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Friend posted:

If it's on a Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtrack it is punk.
Johnny Cash? Punk. KISS? Very punk. Sublime? Oh you know it's punk baby.

:hmmyes:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

the offspring were way too successful to be punk you cant draw money and be punk this is the fact of the matter

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RFC2324 posted:

Dad rock keeps claiming more and more punk bands. Their expansion must be stopped!

Punk isn't dead, it just goes to bed at an earlier time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1591827463583453190

I guess Elon hasn't checked the news because it's a bad idea to epic le troll a member of congress who sits on the committee that has jurisdictional authority over all of his companies

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
A lot of people iit arguing about which major label money machine they heard on the radio is punk or not lmao. If it wasn't recorded in a basement squat with a dumpstered tape recorded and pressed to a split 7" its not punk

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Punk lasted for like 6 months before the London sewer kids doing real punk died of heroin and hepatitis. It's such a fun word though it'd be a shame if that's all we used the label for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zedprime posted:

Punk lasted for like 6 months before the London sewer kids doing real punk died of heroin and hepatitis. It's such a fun word though it'd be a shame if that's all we used the label for.
It was originally just slang for "Prostitute" and Shakespeare himself used it that way in Merry Wives of Windsor. It's already a mutant word so anyone who ever gets hung up on what is/isn't Punk in the 2020s is automatically someone I stop listening to.

Like yeah it does suck that it got diluted and corporatized pretty much instantly and various subshades are more/less gritty, with some of the ones to get labeled "punk" being essentially just bubblegum.

But like, it happened. Move on.