Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dont think he could have been biden's second biggest overall donor in 2020 because other rich assholes were dumping ungodly amounts of money on him. bloomberg and steyer were throwing around tens of millions iirc. "second biggest biden donor" may be a misreading of him being the second biggest 2022 dem donor, probably an intentional misreading by conservative fake news sites because they've been running with biden as uniquely corrupt and controlled by (((shady finance)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The narrative I'm seeing from crypto believers is that SBF was a Biden/democrats plant meant to control and undermine crypto. FTX self-immolating is actually a good thing for the crypto space, because SBF was a radical leftist pushing for more regulation.

These are all relatively mainstream outlets pushing a similar narrative.
https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1591070791256662016?s=20&t=ocJRebb6_GQOT28ePL-gXA
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1590294051202408448?s=20&t=ocJRebb6_GQOT28ePL-gXAhttps://twitter.com/FoxBusiness/status/1591204166806171649?s=20&t=ocJRebb6_GQOT28ePL-gXA

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

The narrative I'm seeing from crypto believers is that SBF was a Biden/democrats plant meant to control and undermine crypto. FTX self-immolating is actually a good thing for the crypto space, because SBF was a radical leftist pushing for more regulation.

These are all relatively mainstream outlets pushing a similar narrative.
https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1591070791256662016?s=20&t=ocJRebb6_GQOT28ePL-gXA
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1590294051202408448?s=20&t=ocJRebb6_GQOT28ePL-gXAhttps://twitter.com/FoxBusiness/status/1591204166806171649?s=20&t=ocJRebb6_GQOT28ePL-gXA

wow, fetterman is mixed up with some shady stuff …

quote:

Additionally, the crypto magnate sent $2 million to the GMI PAC, which raised over $11 million as of mid-October.

GMI transferred $5.25 million to its affiliated committee Web3 Forward, which spent more than $4 million on media buys for several Democratic candidates. Sen.-elect John Fetterman in Pennsylvania, Rep. Jasmine Crockett in Texas, and House candidates Jonathan Jackson in Illinois and Adam Hollier in Michigan were among those who benefited from the cash, Web3 Forward's filings show.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Elites and their kids are all like this; everything is nepotism, all the way down.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
I only eat my bank man grilled

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That tiny snippet of Gabe's resume reads like any non-profit/think-tank grifter. His purpose is to launder both his own, and the reputations of everyone associated with his organisation by providing the illusion to the public that they're taking something seriously. In this case it's the pandemic.

Since his mother is such a high profile doctor, I can only assume he's doing it at her direction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
More like Bankman-Fraud amirite

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

Elites and their kids are all like this; everything is nepotism, all the way down.

https://youtu.be/FfOhXuKLMt0

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
WEF is Jolly West tier shows up in every single conspiracy and I'm here for it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

linda fried is sam and gabe's aunt, their mom is a stanford law professor

Endman
May 18, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

linda fried is sam and gabe's aunt, their mom is a stanford law professor

They're all clones and you know it

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i hate to break it to you guys but the extremely boring and sad 'reality' for FTX is that they were hopelessly rationalism-pilled math-nerds who utlitarianism'd themselves into "i have run the numbers and it is mathematically ethically correct to setup a ponzi scheme and make as much money as possible in order to give it away to these carefully calculated causes"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
there's no conspiracy deeper than that true despairing sadness

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/MensEtMannes/status/1560352290535575553

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Petey posted:

i hate to break it to you guys but the extremely boring and sad 'reality' for FTX is that they were hopelessly rationalism-pilled math-nerds who utlitarianism'd themselves into "i have run the numbers and it is mathematically ethically correct to setup a ponzi scheme and make as much money as possible in order to give it away to these carefully calculated causes"

This but the cia

Endman
May 18, 2010

Petey posted:

there's no conspiracy deeper than that true despairing sadness

What's sad about rich kids getting punished for being stupid?

Endman
May 18, 2010

If you truly believe these people were just trying to do the most good possible and weren't mostly in it for their own self-aggrandisement and material enrichment, you're an unbelievable rube.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Billions today so we can be trillions tomorrow

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
even hideo kojima thinks the name "sam bankman-fried" is too on the nose

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Endman posted:

If you truly believe these people were just trying to do the most good possible and weren't mostly in it for their own self-aggrandisement and material enrichment, you're an unbelievable rube.

I’m pretty densely socially networked with them and yeah my current prior until we see the court docs is that this was EA and inexperience run amok

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Isn't effective altruism just trickle down economics given a shiny new utilitarian coat by deranged rationalists and co-opted by Capital for very obvious reasons such as what has just happened with this bankman (lol) thing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

multistability posted:

Isn't effective altruism just trickle down economics given a shiny new utilitarian coat by deranged rationalists and co-opted by Capital for very obvious reasons such as what has just happened with this bankman (lol) thing

effective altruism is, yes, just another way of rationalizing letting billionaires keep their money, though in this case the veneer is that "it's more altruistic to let Elon Musk give his money than to any random poor person, because Elon Musk is advancing humanity as a whole, and the benefits of that are far greater than what you can do for any one poor person"

the next step up from effective altruism is: https://www.salon.com/2022/08/20/understanding-longtermism-why-this-suddenly-influential-philosophy-is-so/

quote:

But what is longtermism? I have tried to answer that in other articles, and will continue to do so in future ones. A brief description here will have to suffice: Longtermism is a quasi-religious worldview, influenced by transhumanism and utilitarian ethics, which asserts that there could be so many digital people living in vast computer simulations millions or billions of years in the future that one of our most important moral obligations today is to take actions that ensure as many of these digital people come into existence as possible.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

effective altruism is, yes, just another way of rationalizing letting billionaires keep their money, though in this case the veneer is that "it's more altruistic to let Elon Musk give his money than to any random poor person, because Elon Musk is advancing humanity as a whole, and the benefits of that are far greater than what you can do for any one poor person"

the next step up from effective altruism is: https://www.salon.com/2022/08/20/understanding-longtermism-why-this-suddenly-influential-philosophy-is-so/

Absolute sickos lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

internet atomization makes having your philosophy get challenged very difficult so people can believe way nuttier things openly

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Real hurthling! posted:

internet atomization makes having your philosophy get challenged very difficult so people can believe way nuttier things openly

it owns that this is just going to get worse with the death of twitter, we're gonna end up with multiple similar social media platforms each with its own type of brain worm

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

solving poverty and hunger? no, we have to redirect those monies into building more server farms for our digital progeny!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

multistability posted:

— effective altruism is utilitarianism applied to philanthropy
— longtermism is utilitarianism/EA over an incredibly extended time horizon
— “earning to give” is a tactic in the EA toolkit that justifies the existing economic paradigm on the condition that most of the income is then donated to EA. the standard pledge that EAs sign is giving award a minimum of 10% of income, but the gold standard set by MacAskill is donating anything above the poverty line. for example, SBF made $500k a year out of college at JS and donated all but $50k of it every year. starting AR/FTX was explicitly a strategy to up his income for EA purposes.

Petey has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Nov 13, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

multistability posted:

it starts with the question of if you saw a drowning child and had to jump in immediately to save them, ruining your shoes or phone or whatever, wouldn't you still do it? if so there are millions of children effectively drowning right now, and so to help save more of them you should make as much money as possible in whatever industry or role doing whatever (inlcuding defense contracting or surveillance tech) in order to donate more money. but wait! if you invest in crypto, think of the even greater returns you could make (to give away later OF COURSE) and on and on and on

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

it starts with the question of if you saw a drowning child and had to jump in immediately to save them, ruining your shoes or phone or whatever, wouldn't you still do it? if so there are millions of children effectively drowning right now, and so to help save more of them you should make as much money as possible in whatever industry or role doing whatever (inlcuding defense contracting or surveillance tech) in order to donate more money. but wait! if you invest in crypto, think of the even greater returns you could make (to give away later OF COURSE) and on and on and on

exactly. and if you are someone who has invested all your runes in leveling up int alone, then you don’t have a stopping point

https://twitter.com/mensetmannes/status/1495828215864213504?s=46&t=lgVj5sdUCPw1NISvHO3UCw

Petey has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Nov 13, 2022

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

also Glenn Ellison was never Gary Gensler’s boss, so that meme just emerged out of nowhere as far as I can tell

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
So it's the tech bro equivalent of what people claim China is doing, except good when China does it. Interesting

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Petey posted:

https://twitter.com/ens_maxi_888/status/1591611656999940096?s=46&t=QgfzjCEaSoaKOXhqRKbgdw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i guess if you look and act 5 years old and are rich enough to hang out with rich dudes and talk about how sexy it would be to have them over power you, then you can be anything you want provided a nasty mean asian man doesnt torpedo your risk loving inventor boyfriend's scam. is this 4th wave feminism?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/janicemin/status/1591827536736124928?s=46&t=PBRN-400Rd8L4A7PpE4s8w

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

multistability posted:

It's also provides ideological cover for petite bourgeoise liberals to take corporate jobs instead of the social work or public school jobs that dont pay poo poo anymore.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's wild how much people really just want a strong daddy to fix everything so they don't have to think about the world

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I totally agree with the point you're making, but you should not jump into the water to help a drowning person unless you are a trained strong swimmer. Reach, throw, row but don't go.

Not to derail any good conversation here, just stay safe when you're on the water everyone.

hot date tonight! has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Nov 13, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Ok but what if you have a martyr complex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think that effective altruism and related pseudo-philosophical moral justification of the status quo are clandestine cultural psyops a la the iowa writers workshop and the rest of the cold war era western creative writing scene, don't @ me

e: prosperity gospel for people too smart for original flavor prosperity gospel