Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Felix should play Tactics Ogre.

Wonder if he'd go lawful or not

It's wild to think the story is inspired by the Bosnian war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Benny Johnson has got to be the most cringe-inducing political internet personality. Makes it especially bad because he doesn't believe any of it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Benny Johnson has got to be the most cringe-inducing political internet personality. Makes it especially bad because he doesn't believe any of it.

for someone who doesn't believe in it he sure has his finger on the pulse

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1590434342777810944?s=20&t=XhAP5cUN4OP4XVgmHECG9A

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gripweed posted:

How do we get in on that?

Reach out to whichever billionaire your dad is friends with.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Does anyone have the source of that clip of chuds just going "CRIME, CRIME, CRIME!" as they imagined they were going to win big?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Sephyr posted:

Does anyone have the source of that clip of chuds just going "CRIME, CRIME, CRIME!" as they imagined they were going to win big?

https://mobile.twitter.com/katie_honan/status/1590126998684594176

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1590434342777810944?s=20&t=XhAP5cUN4OP4XVgmHECG9A

Well I mean doesn't everyone want a strong man to take control and dominate the weak pathetic enemies who must be stopped because they're infesting politics and make them bend the knee and have hot salty faces? That's normal probably, I asked a columnist friend of mine who recently left the US and he said that was normal.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I think he's right about that, but the more they appeal to that type of person, the more repulsive they become to anyone relatively normal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Republican voters are mostly people who don't want revolutionary change, it's as simple as that. They believe somewhat weirder conspiracy theories than they did 10 or 20 years ago, but so what? There were bizarre Satanic Panic style conspiracy theories about the Clintons in the 90s, and Rush Limbaugh trafficked in pretty much the same hateful and conspiratorial rhetoric as Tucker Carlson, and those audiences voted for boring corporate Republicans.

When QAnon was becoming popular, the really alarming thing was how popular it was among "normal" Republicans. But as Matt observed at the time, for most people it was just a Da Vince Code style fun little game to play in their head.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sometimes I feel like the first domino could be traced back to 'Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About' but I'm not prepared to map out that timeline

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You know we live on the wrong end of the universe because the Dirge for the Charlatans guy died while the Twilight of the Jesters guy gets paid six figures to worship the pigs and cry about his bitch wife trying to stop him from killing himself with bacon

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Good episode

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Sometimes I feel like the first domino could be traced back to 'Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About' but I'm not prepared to map out that timeline

The spread of "vaccines cause autism" and the anti-vax fallout from that feels like the biggest shift. I feel like the thing that really made QAnon stand out was that it managed to draw in regular conspiracy people, holdout Satantic Panic evangelicals and also the loosely defined "crystal/yoga moms" on Instagram and TikTok.

Because yeah, you had weirdo small town cops driving around the woods at night trying to catch Satanists decades ago. And they even got their own 20/20 specials and media pushes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
go read The Paranoid Style in American Politics. these lunatics have always been with us.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

uber_stoat posted:

go read The Paranoid Style in American Politics. these lunatics have always been with us.

Yeah. It's what happens when you build a country on a giant Indian burial ground.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:vince:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Why didn't going psycho work for the republicans this time vs any other time in the last 40 years

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

I feel like Felix got it right. Dobbs combined with republican candidates going all in on fringe culture war bullshit repulsed normal people who aren't obsessed with politics.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Who is this twitter account that they spent the post-midterms ep praising? City of freaks?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Literally posted:

I feel like Felix got it right. Dobbs combined with republican candidates going all in on fringe culture war bullshit repulsed normal people who aren't obsessed with politics.
That is still my thinking as well. They should have won just on the economy slowly falling into the shitter but they had to let the crazies control messaging

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

big boi posted:

Who is this twitter account that they spent the post-midterms ep praising? City of freaks?

https://twitter.com/cityafreaks

lol his most recent retweet is amazing

https://twitter.com/docMJP/status/1435676914249871369?s=20&t=ltOyogkoa0YTbp25wRA1JQ

Claremont not sending their best!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Farm Frenzy posted:

Why didn't going psycho work for the republicans this time vs any other time in the last 40 years
If going all in on kulturkampf was a magic bullet, the Time of Jesters Honoring Themselves would have played out at least 30 years ago.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I cannot comprehend this

net work error fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 15, 2022

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

That is still my thinking as well. They should have won just on the economy slowly falling into the shitter but they had to let the crazies control messaging

I think there was an interesting observation too about the constant "stop the steal/rigged elections" potentially having a demoralizing effect on some of the base too.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Greatbacon posted:

I think there was an interesting observation too about the constant "stop the steal/rigged elections" potentially having a demoralizing effect on some of the base too.

It's hard to convince people to participate in a system they believe is rigged and are being told constantly is rigged and fake

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was some evidence of that already being a problem in GA during the 2020 runoff Senate elections, after a month plus of Trump whining about the election being stolen

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

net work error posted:

I cannot comprehend this

The right can't meme.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huge lols at the jesters ep, top tier Chapo

Huge jeers at the Qanon anonymous ep, I shut it off because it was so loving boring. Annie had some good points I guess but she's just so completely ennervating to listen to and Julian is just irritating

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

some plague rats posted:

Huge jeers at the Qanon anonymous ep, I shut it off because it was so loving boring. Annie had some good points I guess but she's just so completely ennervating to listen to and Julian is just irritating

Love QAA but Julian is my least favorite part. Jake ended up growing on me over the years.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

some plague rats posted:

you'll keep drinking that garbage

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I liked that little soft-spoken Annie was like the only person in history to openly push back on Matt to his face

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Would love to see matt dressed as an 80’s stockbroker

https://youtu.be/qsMc-IswG3w

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Heath posted:

I liked that little soft-spoken Annie was like the only person in history to openly push back on Matt to his face

I meant to comment on this at the time but was too shy to. I really appreciated her pushing back on Matt, even if it didn't amount to much. I've grown to really identify with a lot of the things Matt says on Chapo and on the vlogs so it felt good to kind of reevaluate how much stock I put in to what he says.

Still think he's right about most things tho

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Yeah it's a shame that the one time she did it was something he was actually right about

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What would happen if Matt and Felix had a large son together?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

some plague rats posted:

Yeah it's a shame that the one time she did it was something he was actually right about

lol i can't remember the exact point it was over but i had this same thought

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Chakan posted:

Would love to see matt dressed as an 80’s stockbroker

https://youtu.be/qsMc-IswG3w

He's taking the gay potion not the gremlin potion

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

lol i can't remember the exact point it was over but i had this same thought

lol same I just remember having that thought while I listened to it. Insanely forgettable ep

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lmao Felix just called NASDAQ, “nawsdock”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Kingfish posted:

Lmao Felix just called NASDAQ, “nawsdock”

that's how it's pronounced