Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Doesn’t Ireland still need to industrialize? Having skipped from an agrarian economy to a service one, you’d think there’d be room for the Travellers to become idk steelworkers or something. If they were known for being skilled tinsmiths, and expensive pots and pans, cast iron etc are middle class status symbols, the government could just invest in an Irish Made luxury cookware industry and make money from something other than tax sheltering foreign corporations.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Reddit is representative of the worst normies, no matter what the subject or location.

not the worst. CNN has a comment section

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Don’t the Scandinavians also hate the Sami? I think they had residential schools and everything. Obviously that’s really informed a lot of the experience with oppression Amber brought to Chapo.

It was definitely a whole thing back when eugenics and race science was enthusiastically embraced, until that suddenly became déclassé and quietly shuffled away...

The situation today is more similar to Native American reservations (though with somewhat better social conditions, to my understanding); they generally have some special legal status and privileges in northern areas related to stuff like traditional reindeer herding. Sami aren't really encountered a lot at all in the southern big cities, so they aren't considered a "social nuisance" or dangerous criminals, it's more that Germanic Scandinavians get jealous for what they consider unfair legal privileges or just generally hate the idea of formally recognising an ethnic minority and admitting that they have historically been mistreated...

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Nov 13, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

not the worst. CNN has a comment section

I can say I’ve gotten some useful information from Reddit but cnn comments are my guiding light in life.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Don’t the Scandinavians also hate the Sami? I think they had residential schools and everything. Obviously that’s really informed a lot of the experience with oppression Amber brought to Chapo.

e: This was one of the least horrifying comments on an askreddit thread “are gypsies that bad”

i've sat through rants like this in several european countries.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I don’t think anyone will ever convince me this flavor of techno is good music.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1591466265687769088?s=46&t=hgVpvAaa3KstmPuf5dSYnQ

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t think anyone will ever convince me this flavor of techno is good music.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1591466265687769088?s=46&t=hgVpvAaa3KstmPuf5dSYnQ

first reply, it's always the first reply :patriot:

https://twitter.com/tafkak/status/1591475352840306690

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I thought first reply twitter showed you is tailored to your user profile. For example, the first reply I see is a different one.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I thought first reply twitter showed you is tailored to your user profile. For example, the first reply I see is a different one.

I refreshed and the top reply is something about Putin's penis now, so yeah, probably based on my twitter profile

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn’t Ireland still need to industrialize? Having skipped from an agrarian economy to a service one, you’d think there’d be room for the Travellers to become idk steelworkers or something. If they were known for being skilled tinsmiths, and expensive pots and pans, cast iron etc are middle class status symbols, the government could just invest in an Irish Made luxury cookware industry and make money from something other than tax sheltering foreign corporations.

i think they care about the traveling part of the lifestyle more than the metal working part

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn’t Ireland still need to industrialize? Having skipped from an agrarian economy to a service one, you’d think there’d be room for the Travellers to become idk steelworkers or something.

The most British Empire post to exist?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

manufacturing accounts for more than 1/3 of ireland's gdp according to a google search

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

people of the baltics have no idea do they lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

manufacturing accounts for more than 1/3 of ireland's gdp according to a google search

it’s almost entirely Guinness and butter

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rutibex posted:

i think they care about the traveling part of the lifestyle more than the metal working part

Culture springs out of modes of production, so unless the Irish government provides them with cows and sheep, I don’t know how this would do anything but immiserate them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

it’s almost entirely Guinness and butter

and soap

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn’t Ireland still need to industrialize? Having skipped from an agrarian economy to a service one, you’d think there’d be room for the Travellers to become idk steelworkers or something.

So Ireland didn't really industrialise in the typical european fashion, it industrialised as a colony, unlike our neighbours which were all nation states. So Industrialisation took place in Dublin, Belfast and Cork. All coastal port towns, Belfast had harland and Wolfe and the linen industry, Dublin mostly did food processing on an industrial scale, biscuits, glass bottles that sort of thing. There were steel works but it was on a more artisan scale. You'll still see the odd steel plate on the streets that was cast in a Dublin foundry before my parents were born. Theres no coal or steel in Ireland, so heavy industry was never really an option outside of Dublin and Belfast. You can bring materials into the port for production and manufacturing but otherwise they have to take a train somewhere so all those industries were centred in the port cities because the manufactured goods were for export.

When the Free State was formed the trade terms that allowed heavy industry in the free state locations went away. TW for Train enthusiasts: we took up a phenomenal amount of track as what industry we did have contracted into a more sustainable form or went away entirely. Ireland essentially de-industialized from what it had upon creation of the free state which led to all kinds of boring history on De Valeras "dreary Eden" as Ireland became inward looking and "self sufficient". Outside of heavy industry Dublin city centre was basically a large red light district and sex work was the largest employer of working class irish women. This is changed by the Legion of Mary, a group of people as scary as that name might suggest.

Meanwhile agriculture and agrarian concerns are where all of the money and power were then, and are in the modern era. Ireland continued to ship large amounts of food out of the country

Imo, the famines of the 1840s destroyed the character of the irish countryside. The land movements of the late 19th century have an entirely different character to the one they might have had, but the poor and the dispossessed were already dead or displaced by the time they came along. Its worth noting that civil unrest had always been on a simmer coming out of the 18th century, this led to, in order; Wolfe Tones 1798 Rebellion, the Act of union 1800, the dissolution of Irish parliament 1801, the gradual repeal of the penal laws, growing agrarian violence, the emancipation of catholics and then the Famines of the 1840s. It is after this time period that the nation state and an irish republic starts to get talked about and its these people that we recognise from late 19th century politics, into the 20th century and the present day. De Valeras grandson is still in the Dáil for example.

Suffice it to say the Irish eventually got the land, and then immediately set about replicating the british social order absent new lords and ladies.

Returning to the point though, industrial relations at the time would have gone something like this. the Foundry is owned by an aristocrat, a lord dunsany lets say. Lord Dunsany employs a middle class agent to setup the foundry. Skill labour in the foundry and management are all middle class. Working class people do the backbreaking everyday labour in the foundry, travellers would work with the working class guys to bring materials and so on to the foundry. So its the bourgeois, the petty bourgeois, the proletariat and the lumpenproletariat in order. Thats essentially as that would be in the present day, except the travellers, the lumpenproles are no where to be seen in the modern equivalent of this equation. They have been pushed out by both changing society and changing technology. With no one to champion their class interests they are left out in the cold.

My point being the revolution provided no change in the system, just who benefited from the system. Ireland in the present day is a post industrial, agrarian export economy with small amounts of high end manufacturing and lots of computer touching. Rip twitter. That manufacturing is pharma and food. A lot of the whey products you see on the shelf are Glanbia, as is Kerry Gold butter, we make a lot of generic pharma, the infamous horse paste ivermectin was developed in Ireland.

The people who benefit from the current and future irish economy are the same people that always had and always will. There remains no place in Irish society for Travelling people and without some kind of meaningful effort on behalf of the government there never will be.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Southpaugh posted:

. . .
My point being the revolution provided no change in the system, just who benefited from the system. Ireland in the present day is a post industrial, agrarian export economy with small amounts of high end manufacturing and lots of computer touching. Rip twitter. That manufacturing is pharma and food. A lot of the whey products you see on the shelf are Glanbia, as is Kerry Gold butter, we make a lot of generic pharma, the infamous horse paste ivermectin was developed in Ireland.
. . .

good post. here’s some extra context I found helpful btw

quote:

EXPORTS
The top exports of Ireland are Vaccines, blood, antisera, toxins and cultures ($33B), Packaged Medicaments ($32.4B), Nitrogen Heterocyclic Compounds ($26.3B), Integrated Circuits ($11.2B), and Scented Mixtures ($8.65B), exporting mostly to United States ($57.4B), Germany ($22.7B), United Kingdom ($17.5B), Belgium ($16.2B), and China ($11.9B).

In 2020, Ireland was the world's biggest exporter of Nitrogen Heterocyclic Compounds ($26.3B), Scented Mixtures ($8.65B), Nucleic Acids ($7.27B), Hormones ($4.3B), and Sulfonamides ($4.01B)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1591686767312343040

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TOP EXPORT: Blood.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol, ok

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Southpaugh posted:

TOP EXPORT: Blood.

Toxins!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

So Ireland didn't really industrialise in the typical european fashion, it industrialised as a colony, unlike our neighbours which were all nation states. So Industrialisation took place in Dublin, Belfast and Cork. All coastal port towns, Belfast had harland and Wolfe and the linen industry, Dublin mostly did food processing on an industrial scale, biscuits, glass bottles that sort of thing. There were steel works but it was on a more artisan scale. You'll still see the odd steel plate on the streets that was cast in a Dublin foundry before my parents were born. Theres no coal or steel in Ireland, so heavy industry was never really an option outside of Dublin and Belfast. You can bring materials into the port for production and manufacturing but otherwise they have to take a train somewhere so all those industries were centred in the port cities because the manufactured goods were for export.

When the Free State was formed the trade terms that allowed heavy industry in the free state locations went away. TW for Train enthusiasts: we took up a phenomenal amount of track as what industry we did have contracted into a more sustainable form or went away entirely. Ireland essentially de-industialized from what it had upon creation of the free state which led to all kinds of boring history on De Valeras "dreary Eden" as Ireland became inward looking and "self sufficient". Outside of heavy industry Dublin city centre was basically a large red light district and sex work was the largest employer of working class irish women. This is changed by the Legion of Mary, a group of people as scary as that name might suggest.

Meanwhile agriculture and agrarian concerns are where all of the money and power were then, and are in the modern era. Ireland continued to ship large amounts of food out of the country

Imo, the famines of the 1840s destroyed the character of the irish countryside. The land movements of the late 19th century have an entirely different character to the one they might have had, but the poor and the dispossessed were already dead or displaced by the time they came along. Its worth noting that civil unrest had always been on a simmer coming out of the 18th century, this led to, in order; Wolfe Tones 1798 Rebellion, the Act of union 1800, the dissolution of Irish parliament 1801, the gradual repeal of the penal laws, growing agrarian violence, the emancipation of catholics and then the Famines of the 1840s. It is after this time period that the nation state and an irish republic starts to get talked about and its these people that we recognise from late 19th century politics, into the 20th century and the present day. De Valeras grandson is still in the Dáil for example.

Suffice it to say the Irish eventually got the land, and then immediately set about replicating the british social order absent new lords and ladies.

Returning to the point though, industrial relations at the time would have gone something like this. the Foundry is owned by an aristocrat, a lord dunsany lets say. Lord Dunsany employs a middle class agent to setup the foundry. Skill labour in the foundry and management are all middle class. Working class people do the backbreaking everyday labour in the foundry, travellers would work with the working class guys to bring materials and so on to the foundry. So its the bourgeois, the petty bourgeois, the proletariat and the lumpenproletariat in order. Thats essentially as that would be in the present day, except the travellers, the lumpenproles are no where to be seen in the modern equivalent of this equation. They have been pushed out by both changing society and changing technology. With no one to champion their class interests they are left out in the cold.

The people who benefit from the current and future irish economy are the same people that always had and always will. There remains no place in Irish society for Travelling people and without some kind of meaningful effort on behalf of the government there never will be.

very interesting, thanks for writing this up.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

good post

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I guess alcohol counts!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1591807214616182784

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-11-12/turkey-seeks-ukraine-peace-talks-despite-western-actions-erdogan-says

Erdogan is going to bring peace in our time

quote:

Turkish media cited President Tayyip Erdogan as saying on Saturday, as he accused the United States and other Western countries of provoking Moscow.

State broadcaster TRT and other media quoted Erdogan as saying: "The West, and especially the U.S., is attacking Russia seemingly endlessly," without elaborating on what he meant.

[...]

"We are working on how to create a peace corridor here, like we had the grain corridor. We think the best way for this is a path from dialogue to peace," Erdogan said, adding Ukraine's view would be important.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lol if this ends with turkish peacekeepers guarding the DMZ between ukraine and dnr/lpr

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/slvtreetrader/status/1591816554924380160

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

Culture springs out of modes of production, so unless the Irish government provides them with cows and sheep, I don’t know how this would do anything but immiserate them.

Minceirí have been in ireland since atleast the cromwellian period, their descendants aren't just going to become pastoral farmers even if you handed them virgin land and all the livestock they need to get started. Thats not how people work and the cultural inertia around "Your place in society" is much more powerful, than "Well maybe you guys should stop being who you are." It must be understood that while the place of Travellers in Irish society is essentially underserved as part of the wider community, they are still present, just without a socially sponsored role in society, hence the slow death by bureaucracy. The internal politics of the community are also frequently opaque to the likes of myself. I can only tell you about the circumstances as I understand them from a marxist perspective.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Turkey can’t even protect their own citizens from Gullenist agents setting up car bombs in front of Erdogan’s palace. they aren’t going to enforce anything and haven’t since the Crimean War

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1591817435086454785

🤔 surely totally legit reasons they don't want reporters around while they purgeliberate things

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nonsense posted:

Turkey can’t even protect their own citizens from Gullenist agents setting up car bombs in front of Erdogan’s palace

can’t… or won’t? 🤔

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1591798836913225728

they really can't just help but brag about the purges huh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

they really can't just help but brag about the purges huh

Donrf posted:

Meanwhile, arrests of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchy) priests have begun in Ukraine. The force behind which millions of sincerely believing parishioners stood a few years ago has been reduced to insignificance, lost the trust of the flock, marginalized, and begun to be withdrawn from circulation through a policy of acquiescence. Meanwhile, the dissenters are converting their false church to Catholicism at a breakneck pace. In a generation Orthodoxy will not be there. Western sectarians are already up to 20%, and the Center and the East are Catholicizing. What the ancestors of the Ukrainians in the 17th century defended in a bloody war, the descendants sold for lentil soup burger and cola. Which they had anyway. Although it was easy and simple to defeat the jelly that the UOC MP had become. Onc again an rear end sitting on two chairs collapsing to the floor, and getting stomped into the ground . And the Russian Orthodox Church keeps quiet and doesn't say anything.
(from t.me/donrf22/8108, via tgsa)

It's been going for a bit already.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I hope the third Black Panther movie is set in Ukraine

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

speng31b posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1591817435086454785

🤔 surely totally legit reasons they don't want reporters around while they purgeliberate things

oh my loving god

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I hope the third Black Panther movie is set in Ukraine

Shuri's actress can combat the World Health Organization for Hydra Vaccines

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

oh my loving god

the replies

https://twitter.com/Ua6Ua/status/1591822884460466176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Shuri's actress can combat the World Health Organization for Hydra Vaccines

I still can't believe that the plot of the original was the CIA intervening in a dynastic struggle in an African nation to put the ruler favorable to the West onto the throne.