Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Colts either need to draft a QB or if Lamar hits the market, give him a deal bigger than the one the Browns gave the rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The funniest part of this somehow is still that their immediate next game/first under him is against McDaniels and Carr, so he can very easily still start undefeated

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah Irsay is very much the type of owner who likes to put his football guys in place and let them do their thing. He's getting involved now because 5 years of Ballard and 4 1/2 years of Reich has put the team farther away from a championship than they've ever been, so he's going to blow it up and get some new football guys.

This string of meddling goes back to the end of last season, though. And demanding things like "bench your starter, show me what the third string QB's got" are extremely officious moves.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

fsif posted:

This string of meddling goes back to the end of last season, though. And demanding things like "bench your starter, show me what the third string QB's got" are extremely officious moves.

End of last season referring to what, the decision to get rid of Wentz? Irsay was definitely very excited to do that but I also think Ballard would've gotten rid of him on his own anyway, he was always very wishy-washy toward the acquisition (painting it as Reich's baby, essentially) and visibly frustrated with Wentz' play whenever he spoke to the media. Swapping Wentz for Ryan would've been Ballard's move either way, especially after the collapse in the final two games.

As for the switch to Sam, that definitely came from Irsay, but I think it was framed more as a way for Reich to potentially save his job. Sort of a "if you can't get your OL to actually block, put the mobile QB in and see if you can make something happen." Turns out, he couldn't.

At any rate, with Irsay you basically get 5 years as a GM to build your vision, and during that time he won't put any restrictions on you and will happily cut any check you ask for. But at the end of that time you've got to have something to show him. If not, that trust is gone and he gets more hands-on, usually as a prelude to firing everybody.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
It would have been so much better for the Colts if they could have convinced Rivers to come back instead of just coaching his kid's hs football team. Although...haha maybe Rivers just wants to get a future HC job with the Colts.

The catastrophe of that Oline though.

In 2018 the Colts were able to stabilize that line with additions like Quentin Nelson and Braden Smith. In 2019 and 2020 they were really good. In 2021 they struggling to pass protect but could run block and this year they can't block whatsoever.

Obviously Matt Ryan being old and lovely can't help but the regression is insane and there no way just having Matt Ryan makes the line that bad.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

End of last season referring to what, the decision to get rid of Wentz? Irsay was definitely very excited to do that but I also think Ballard would've gotten rid of him on his own anyway, he was always very wishy-washy toward the acquisition (painting it as Reich's baby, essentially) and visibly frustrated with Wentz' play whenever he spoke to the media. Swapping Wentz for Ryan would've been Ballard's move either way, especially after the collapse in the final two games.

As for the switch to Sam, that definitely came from Irsay, but I think it was framed more as a way for Reich to potentially save his job. Sort of a "if you can't get your OL to actually block, put the mobile QB in and see if you can make something happen." Turns out, he couldn't.

At any rate, with Irsay you basically get 5 years as a GM to build your vision, and during that time he won't put any restrictions on you and will happily cut any check you ask for. But at the end of that time you've got to have something to show him. If not, that trust is gone and he gets more hands-on, usually as a prelude to firing everybody.

Yeah I was referring to shipping off Wentz. They gave him up before Ryan was even available. It was a really brash decision (even though no one likes Wentz and he sucks) to so aggressively ship your starting QB out of town without any real plan to replace him. That's not the act of a professional GM; that's the act of a guy who would hire an ESPN commentator as a head coach.

And I'm just going off of what Keefer has said/written, but the move to bench Ryan for Ehlinger was really unpopular in the Colts locker room. I don't know how you can spin all of these erratic moves as "Irsay has been really hands off!"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

fsif posted:

Yeah I was referring to shipping off Wentz. They gave him up before Ryan was even available. It was a really brash decision (even though no one likes Wentz and he sucks) to so aggressively ship your starting QB out of town without any real plan to replace him. That's not the act of a professional GM; that's the act of a guy who would hire an ESPN commentator as a head coach.

And I'm just going off of what Keefer has said/written, but the move to bench Ryan for Ehlinger was really unpopular in the Colts locker room. I don't know how you can spin all of these erratic moves as "Irsay has been really hands off!"

I'm not arguing that Irsay is currently being very hands-off, I'm talking about the previous 5 years of Ballard's tenure, and the first several years of Grigson's tenure before it. The point is that his current behavior is atypical of his usual style, but typical of when he's about to make a change. I think the most likely scenario at this point is that Ballard gets fired at the end of the year, a new GM is hired and picks his own HC, and Irsay goes back to running Twitter giveaways and being a cheerleader for the team while letting his new GM do his thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pasaluki posted:

It would have been so much better for the Colts if they could have convinced Rivers to come back instead of just coaching his kid's hs football team. Although...haha maybe Rivers just wants to get a future HC job with the Colts.

Or brought in Kap when Luck retired.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
watching a bit of the Falcons last night had me feeling anxiety of the Mariota before times with the amount of overthrows he had

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
No Big Jeff, Bud Fight, or Hooker

Yikes

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think we’ll be fine. I can’t watch today though so somebody let me know how Burks and molden look

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the houston texans will be owned today by the new york football giants

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Genuinely torn between wanting the Colts to win today to dunk on McDaniels/piss off the pearl-clutching media folks, and wanting to fully embrace the tank and lose out.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

ShakeZula posted:

Genuinely torn between wanting the Colts to win today to dunk on McDaniels/piss off the pearl-clutching media folks, and wanting to fully embrace the tank and lose out.

I'm in "embrace the tank" mode for sure

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I think we’ll be fine. I can’t watch today though so somebody let me know how Burks and molden look

burks just deflected a pass to Hilliard on 3rd & 7

he's not gonna save the offense

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
big Jeff's energy is present

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Beating McDaniels is the way funnier option so I'm with that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
this team is exhausting

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If they don’t tire Downing after today I don’t know what the gently caress this team wants to do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If they don’t tire Downing after today I don’t know what the gently caress this team wants to do

Unfortunately we have TNF, but after that would be the perfect opportunity.

Wasting Henry and this defense on whatever the gently caress is going on in offense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol this list of texans drives

-13 yards
6 yards
4 yards
61 yards! (mostly because of a 44 yard run)
19 yards
9 yards

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

this titans offense is painful to watch

I refuse to believe they would fire Downing midseason tho

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

first titans WR TD of the year in week 10 baby

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Soul Glo posted:

first titans WR TD of the year in week 10 baby

Woods had a td against the colts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the texans just had a completion where mills threw it directly at a defensive back but the ball bounced off his hands and a receiver caught it lol

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I will never understand taking out Henry on 3rd and short to let your loving backup RB go up the middle and come up short.

Stop loving galaxy braining your team to death, Todd, you loving jerk.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Please stop trying to do gadget plays with malik and just run a basic run play with henry on 3rd and short

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The onside kick with 2:20 and two time outs was, in retrospect, a bad idea.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Good thing we played the Denver Broncos.

Now fire Downing after Thursday, especially if we lose to the garbage-rear end Packers.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mega64 posted:

fire Downing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A reminder that the Colts literally hired McDaniels only for him to back out at the last minute.

Now a guy who never coached above high school before is currently kicking his rear end.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

fire Downing

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Parks Frazier is the next Sean McVay

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What did I miss in Indy where Ryan is back in as starting QB? Is it a Jeff Saturday mutiny and some kind of gently caress you to Irsay because I thought the owner wanted Ellinger playing?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

What did I miss in Indy where Ryan is back in as starting QB? Is it a Jeff Saturday mutiny and some kind of gently caress you to Irsay because I thought the owner wanted Ellinger playing?

In his introductory press conference Saturday said Ehlinger would start, but that softened over the course of the week into "it's an open competition," and then Ryan was getting first-team reps in practice and is starting. The Colts beat writers are choosing to believe that Irsay forced Reich to play Ehlinger and is letting Saturday do whatever he wants, but I think the more likely scenario is that Ryan was hurt and Reich was trying to spark the offense by going to Ehlinger. Now that Ryan is healthy, he's starting again, which I think probably would've eventually happened under Reich as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh

I was under the impression that the Ellinger move was mandated by Irsay.

And lol Colts up 10 right now with Ryan lighting poo poo up.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It might have been, and the Indy media is certainly convinced that it was (though all their reporting about it has been innuendo and suggestion), but if that's true then you have to assume that Irsay was deliberately sabotaging Reich for some reason given that Ryan is starting again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

JEFF

SATURDAY

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Jeff Saturday cannot be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU