Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

PhazonLink posted:

??

i've never heard of nukes as a method of terraforming, well at least making things warmer and stuff. like nuclear winter isnt warm?
Nuclear winter isn't expected to be caused by blast debris, it's from the massive amount of smoke from stuff in the blast area burning. Things like trees and flammable structures made of wood and other flammable mostly-organic compounds in an oxygen-rich atmosphere. Mars has none of that.

The bigger problem is that on a planetary scale, a nuke isn't very powerful and the blast doesn't last very long. They're great for creating a temporarily lethal environment in an area the size of a major human population center. They are not great for creating enough heat energy to melt a loving ice cap.

There are some theoretical writeups of it but basically for enough heat energy to melt one Martian ice cap, assuming 100% of the energy transferred into the ice and actually transferred in a way that melted it instead of vaporizing some of it and left some of it alone, you'd need about 4,000 nuclear bombs, and it wouldn't even stay melted.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maybe we should try it, but Elon should be on site. We drop one, and he lets us know if we need to drop another. Keep this up until he stops signalling.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591103912769392641

He doesn't even know what the hell he paid $44 billion for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have asked him about rival messaging platform Updog

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

The bigger problem is that on a planetary scale, a nuke isn't very powerful and the blast doesn't last very long. They're great for creating a temporarily lethal environment in an area the size of a major human population center. They are not great for creating enough heat energy to melt a loving ice cap.

oh thats what I thought. isnt earth still not a Kardashev level 1 civ? lol at musk not getting orders of magnitude between ALL OF EARTH NUKES vs a planet. also bet you could trick him with a dry ice bomb or a balloon pop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PhazonLink posted:

oh thats what I thought. isnt earth still not a Kardashev level 1 civ? lol at musk not getting orders of magnitude between ALL OF EARTH NUKES vs a planet. also bet you could trick him with a dry ice bomb or a balloon pop.

Nope. I generally see humanity rated as something around 0.6-0.7

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PhazonLink posted:

??

i've never heard of nukes as a method of terraforming, well at least making things warmer and stuff. like nuclear winter isnt warm?

Separating from the Musk poo poo for a bit, the US had Project Plowshare and the Soviets had a similar gig going on where they experimented with using nukes for massive earthmoving. Canal building was a big part of this. What everybody discovered is dirty bombs; the radioactive fallout from doing these detonations was so much worse than military use and everybody gave up on it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

That’s the picture of the small, sad ball pit at the very poorly run Tumblr convention

I think the twitchcon foam pit is a more apt metaphor at this point.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

This may not have even involved any humans. Hedge funds and investment banks long ago gave up on market fundamentals for making decisions - rumors and short-term price movements are the primary drivers. I would be shocked if at least some of them haven't implemented systems that read all public tweets and use machine-learning to figure out whether there is "good" or "bad" chatter about a particular company. And all of the training sets the algorithms used would have weighted official company names with blue check marks as the most trustworthy.

A few of these algorithms doing an initial sudden sell-off would trigger the other high-frequency trading algorithms that aren't tapped into twitter, but which respond quickly to unexpected and sudden price changes.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

haveblue posted:

My “you probably won’t go to jail for me” T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

Whenever company legal tries to assure you to won't be criminally liable for doing as the company asks you should probably send them an email inquiring in writing about little things like if they're acting in any capacity to represent you with that advice / is this legal advice lol

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

This may not have even involved any humans. Hedge funds and investment banks long ago gave up on market fundamentals for making decisions - rumors and short-term price movements are the primary drivers. I would be shocked if at least some of them haven't implemented systems that read all public tweets and use machine-learning to figure out whether there is "good" or "bad" chatter about a particular company. And all of the training sets the algorithms used would have weighted official company names with blue check marks as the most trustworthy.

A few of these algorithms doing an initial sudden sell-off would trigger the other high-frequency trading algorithms that aren't tapped into twitter, but which respond quickly to unexpected and sudden price changes.

It doesn't even have to be that involved (although it partially is): a day trader scrolling through Twitter is going to see that a "verified" account is announcing something and doesn't have the time to see if the bio is legit or not. They have seconds to react before running to an exchange floor to either start buying or selling. Now multiple that by hundreds of traders.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats dumb and maybe we should ban high frequency trading. humans dont experience life on micro or nano second time scales, why the gently caress should a company's value flux on that scale then too?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also "I better make this decision as fast as possible without even doing any cursory research, before the other guy who also can't have done any research makes a decision" sounds like a very poor basis for valuing anything, let alone things supposedly worth billions of dollars.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This seems pretty concerning...
https://twitter.com/this_lampert/status/1591424934815096832?s=20&t=71h_EfInBDezNDAAmJr_-A

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
"Test it in prod" indeed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Usually there's at least three environments that the server code exists in: dev, staging, and prod. Dev is getting updated near-constantly as developers push changes, staging periodically batches a bunch of recent changes for manual and/or automated tests, and if the tests pass then those changes go to prod (production), where actual customers see them. Sometimes there's also a 'test' environment in between dev and staging.

Anyway if customers are seeing the dev environment, or code that was intended to only be seen in the dev environment somehow, that's a very bad sign. Not super surprising though, if Musk is getting people to quickly push out random new changes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah, dev is supposed to be the "safe to experiment with" environment; there isn't an env before that unless the Devs are running a local development one on their own machine. Still I'm curious why they would even run stuff in Dev directly instead of pushing it to prod, if they want to use it in prod :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
To me it sounds more like rushed engineers left in code that logs to dev tools when they pushed to prod

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, dev is supposed to be the "safe to experiment with" environment; there isn't an env before that unless the Devs are running a local development one on their own machine. Still I'm curious why they would even run stuff in Dev directly instead of pushing it to prod, if they want to use it in prod :v:

That's how I took it. Or, pulling away from internet-focused to more commonly-understood software engineering, Musk is basically running a beta-in-a-box version of Twitter until they can get things working with the customers.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Remember: Musk ordered employees to cut infrastructure costs by I believe literally 1 billion dollars. There is a decent loving chance that this isn't so much "testing dev in prod" as it is "prod's all that's left, buckle up chucklefucks it's all happening live now"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Alternatively “all the release engineers got fired, is there anyone left who has even a vague idea of how to deploy”

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The article posted here the other day said that they have fired 80% of their infrastructure engineering teams - that means system admins, network eng, Dev ops, etc. While this doesn't mean many people for a company the size of Twitter as an absolute number, this still means that 4 out of 5 people that were deemed necessary to run the infra before have been let go...I wonder if certain teams even have someone else to run peer code reviews in the same continent/timezone - or at all.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Dude's lining up to find out the hard way that the staff he just let go for being too expensive to pay were actually keeping the company from having to pay even more expensive noncompliance fines

Assuming the infra lasts long enough for them to incur any...

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1591827463583453190?t=84Ou3hZw_9N5kvRA0NaeHA&s=19

:dogstare:
getting into slapfights with sitting senators is interesting uh strategy elon

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xand_Man posted:

https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1591827463583453190?t=84Ou3hZw_9N5kvRA0NaeHA&s=19

:dogstare:
getting into slapfights with sitting senators is interesting uh strategy elon

Sitting senators whose party retained majority, too, despite his efforts!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
He's picked fights with several Dem senators and federal organizations before and has never faced any consequences.

Why would this be different?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

koolkal posted:

He's picked fights with several Dem senators and federal organizations before and has never faced any consequences.

Why would this be different?

Because now he’s loving with some very important things:

-the money of rich people

-the media ecosystem politicians depend on

-a watchdog agency that does not gently caress around

-national security (through SpaceX DOD contracts)

He’s an emperor who just ripped off all his clothes in the public square and everyone with power who has ever resented him smells blood in the water

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He has caused a huge pharmaceutical company to lose a billion dollars since the last time?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

He has caused a huge pharmaceutical company to lose a billion dollars since the last time?

Also, a large defense contractor, at least at last count. There's probably a few others that haven't registered yet, but Eli Lilly and Lockheed Martin losing billions due to satirical posts from impersonating accounts is the most well-known of the big business losses due to Twitter posts.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Elon wearing his "we'll be fully complaint with the FTC" t-shirt

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
actually his current bird avatar is a multi thousand dollar halloween costume, some generic "demon/devil " leather /pleather armor.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

haveblue posted:

Because now he’s loving with some very important things:

-the money of rich people

-the media ecosystem politicians depend on

-a watchdog agency that does not gently caress around

-national security (through SpaceX DOD contracts)

He’s an emperor who just ripped off all his clothes in the public square and everyone with power who has ever resented him smells blood in the water

I AM GRANDO posted:

Young Freud posted:

Also, a large defense contractor, at least at last count. There's probably a few others that haven't registered yet, but Eli Lilly and Lockheed Martin losing billions due to satirical posts from impersonating accounts is the most well-known of the big business losses due to Twitter posts.

Stop trying to make me like him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BRJurgis posted:

Stop trying to make me like him.

If it helps, he never intended to do any of those things, they just happened because he's a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt.

He was defending the drug company before the fact-checking feature of his own site spanked him.

TooMuchCornstarch
Dec 11, 2012
Too much is never enough.
Elon firing over 80% of his team included the people that tracked and removed illegal activity.

This is already going exactly how you think it would.

More people than usual are being hacked and illegal material is piling up. The feds aren’t going to be happy.

I’ll probably delete my twitter account for security reasons soon. This is only going to get worse and I’m not waiting for Elon’s genius code skills to compromise my account for me, if he hasn’t already.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TooMuchCornstarch posted:

More people than usual are being hacked and illegal material is piling up. The feds aren’t going to be happy.

How would you get hacked through twitter?

TooMuchCornstarch
Dec 11, 2012
Too much is never enough.

Comstar posted:

How would you get hacked through twitter?

Mostly scam links and social engineering. The usual stuff, just bolder now because most of the administrators got sacked or quit. But I wouldn’t be surprised if some bizarre new vulnerability opened in the past week either.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

TooMuchCornstarch posted:

Mostly scam links and social engineering. The usual stuff, just bolder now because most of the administrators got sacked or quit. But I wouldn’t be surprised if some bizarre new vulnerability opened in the past week either.

If another log4j or spring framework type vulnerability came up, Twitter would be a known weak target with a lot of users and user info to go after. Remote code execution could turn the fundamental site infrastructure into a scam link, aside from bad links in tweets.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1592188128944705537
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrains/status/1592233920036315138

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is twitter busted? I can't get any tweets to load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
They're loading for me, and I'm not even logged in.