Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Zealot better have a subjob that just goes full Slayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm hoping it's the Ogryn that does tbh

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ChaseSP posted:

Arco-flagellant time

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

I was pretty much already doing that in the beta with a thunder hammer.

Never not bonk.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

psyker gets really fun when they give you a ranged weapon that isn't the revolver. I loved the revolver, but it overlapped a lot with being able to pop heads by thinking about them. maybe other psyker subtypes won't feel that way

Caidin posted:

I'd considered her becoming a different sort of wizard. it seems a a bit of a step to about face to a different wind of magic or whatever Ice Witchs do, but then again Kruber going grail knight was a bit of left field itself at the time.

I think it's gonna be her necromancer sister

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

uncalled for! posted:

psyker gets really fun when they give you a ranged weapon that isn't the revolver. I loved the revolver, but it overlapped a lot with being able to pop heads by thinking about them. maybe other psyker subtypes won't feel that way

I think it's gonna be her necromancer sister

They have collegiate trained, er, legitimate Death magic wizards in the Empire right? Priests of Morr or some such? They're not exactly necromancers but it's close.

Edit: On second thought Priests of Morr are diametrically opposed to necromancy so I guess that's not likely.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 12, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The Amethyst College uses the shyish wind to do death magic. It's distinct from the dark magic necromancers use, though. An Amethyst Wizard is kosher, a Necromancer is KOS in the Empire.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Psyker spotlight is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLB1C33suH0

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ah that assures my worry of the psyker powers

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
New Darktide psyker trailer dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLB1C33suH0

There's a few new weapons that weren't even in the beta weekend leak. Seen a flamethrower staff and a chain lightning staff at least. Looks like there might be some alternate special attacks for force swords too, thought I seen like a force sword super-push in there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For thematic purposes I like they have laspistols in the game but I have no idea why on earth you'd take one.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lassitude posted:

The Amethyst College uses the shyish wind to do death magic. It's distinct from the dark magic necromancers use, though. An Amethyst Wizard is kosher, a Necromancer is KOS in the Empire.

Yeah, Morr and Amythist wizards deal with the dead, but it's more making sure the dead stay that way rather than reanimating them.

I think we're more likely to see Ice Witch Sienna than any other school of magic. Human wizards generally don't mix training in the 8 prime winds of magic because of their limited lifespans and the bad things that happen when you rush training, but Ice Witchery doesn't play by a lot of the same rules IIRC. I think I got my WHFRP 2 books floating around somewhere and I can double check that.

Edit:

Orv posted:

For thematic purposes I like they have laspistols in the game but I have no idea why on earth you'd take one.

It's no better or worse than a stub revolver or autopistol really. IIRC the laspistol is going to also be the designated off-hand weapon if you get a sword and gun melee weapon like the VT Rapier.

Also depending on how the upgrade system works, we might have overcharged power packs or the like for las weapons to give them more punch at the cost of higher ammo usage.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 12, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Added the psyker trailer to the OP, looks cool, shame they didn’t feature the German guy more he’s the best one.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit:

It's no better or worse than a stub revolver or autopistol really. IIRC the laspistol is going to also be the designated off-hand weapon if you get a sword and gun melee weapon like the VT Rapier.

Also depending on how the upgrade system works, we might have overcharged power packs or the like for las weapons to give them more punch at the cost of higher ammo usage.

I mean from a lore standpoint yeah but the revolver exists and mmmm that revolver.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

Ah that assures my worry of the psyker powers

Same here. Psyker was the only one that clicked for me in the betas and seeing a better variety of abilities is a nice bonus.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Note sure if Darktide is going to go that way, but in the tabletop systems the laspistol had the big advantage that it had a magazine capacity of a whopping 30 shots combined with decent damage per shot. So while the revolver has that hefty stopping power and the autopistol can poo poo out its entire magazine in a second, the laspistol is better suited as a versatile mainstay that won't just have you reloading all the time.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Note sure if Darktide is going to go that way, but in the tabletop systems the laspistol had the big advantage that it had a magazine capacity of a whopping 30 shots combined with decent damage per shot. So while the revolver has that hefty stopping power and the autopistol can poo poo out its entire magazine in a second, the laspistol is better suited as a versatile mainstay that won't just have you reloading all the time.

the constant reloading is what put me off the revolver. fwiw i've seen other people post about the phenomenal reloading animations that take into account how many bullets you had left, but mine always took the same long-rear end time to reload--they'll have fixed it by release, inshallah
the shotgun is incredible. a lot of the guns feel great, but being able to shred anyone at close range and implode their domes from behind cover at long range really made me feel like a powerful space witch

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

uncalled for! posted:

the constant reloading is what put me off the revolver. fwiw i've seen other people post about the phenomenal reloading animations that take into account how many bullets you had left, but mine always took the same long-rear end time to reload--they'll have fixed it by release, inshallah
the shotgun is incredible. a lot of the guns feel great, but being able to shred anyone at close range and implode their domes from behind cover at long range really made me feel like a powerful space witch

I will only stop playing this game to watch the Jonathan Ferguson reaction video to it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

uncalled for! posted:

WAI, there's a speedloader version and a version that reloads one at a time

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

I will only stop playing this game to watch the Jonathan Ferguson reaction video to it.

The royal armory museum absolutely has a Bolter on display

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

So, psyker powers in that :

- brainpopper, we knew that one
- AoE ground blast (like Sienna's Conflagration)
- chain lightning
- flamethrower
- some type of weapon enchant
- a shield I think ?

So a lot of re-skinned Sienna but some new toys as well.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The royal armory museum absolutely has a Bolter on display

He was so giddy to do that Aliens video.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

- chain lightning
- flamethrower
- a shield I think ?

Frankly, I like that wizardry is just as effective regardless of tech level.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SPACE WIZARD

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gettin swizard

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

- chain lightning
- flamethrower
- a shield I think ?

As I recall, a few of those were already present in the beta. The AoE ground blast is the secondary fire of the force staff (primary is a somewhat slow single-target projectile), it does pretty much what you expect. You can charge it up for greater damage and area, though on the whole it seemed more intended for disruption rather than killing power. The weapon enchant is the special attack of the force sword, basically you charge it up (at a severe perils cost) and the next hit within a few seconds will cause huge additional damage. Lastly the shield is just the blocking animation for the force sword, as I recall it doesn't do very much mechanically different from regular blocking.

Also on rewatching the video, there's a section that confirms there's a rapier-style sword is in the game as well:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm sorry but that's some kind of a spadroon and furthermore

:goonsay:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Perestroika posted:

As I recall, a few of those were already present in the beta. The AoE ground blast is the secondary fire of the force staff (primary is a somewhat slow single-target projectile), it does pretty much what you expect. You can charge it up for greater damage and area, though on the whole it seemed more intended for disruption rather than killing power. The weapon enchant is the special attack of the force sword, basically you charge it up (at a severe perils cost) and the next hit within a few seconds will cause huge additional damage. Lastly the shield is just the blocking animation for the force sword, as I recall it doesn't do very much mechanically different from regular blocking.

Also on rewatching the video, there's a section that confirms there's a rapier-style sword is in the game as well:

Surely that's just the cutlass. The blade is way too big to be a rapier.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Glad that I'm not the only massive nerd who had a visceral reaction to that thing being called a rapier.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Siivola posted:

hell yeah brother

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Siivola posted:

Then again that is clearly a sabre grip, so therefore :spergin:

Anyway, rapier in the sense that it shares the moveset of the rapier from Vermintide.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Perestroika posted:

As I recall, a few of those were already present in the beta. The AoE ground blast is the secondary fire of the force staff (primary is a somewhat slow single-target projectile), it does pretty much what you expect. You can charge it up for greater damage and area, though on the whole it seemed more intended for disruption rather than killing power.

Yeah, that's 1:1 what Sienna's Conflagration staves do. Pissant fireball as the primary, quick disruption chargeable AoE on the secondary. Not my favourite weapon of hers as I like being able to reach out and touch specials.
Speaking of which, no beam staff equivalent makes me a sad boy.

Oh, but thankye kindly for the further details, for those of us not in the beta !
ETA : speaking of, are the magicks still tied to a staff type ? Or is it a subclass thing now ?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Surely that's just the cutlass. The blade is way too big to be a rapier.

Nonsense. It's an infantry sabre. :science: Thin and ever so slightly curved (as opposed to a cavalry sabre, which naturally is more curved for self-evident reasons).
A cutlass is broader 'n that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, that's 1:1 what Sienna's Conflagration staves do. Pissant fireball as the primary, quick disruption chargeable AoE on the secondary. Not my favourite weapon of hers as I like being able to reach out and touch specials.

Oh, but thankye kindly for the further details, for those of us not in the beta !
ETA : speaking of, are the magicks still tied to a staff type ? Or is it a subclass thing now ?

Yeah, it still goes by weapons equipped, so you could pretty much just play a pretty mundane psyker with just a regular sword and gun and no psychic powers. The main difference to Vermintide is that you get one extra ability that goes into the grenade slot, which in the beta was the head-popper. Plus of course you always have the ultimate available no matter your equipment setup.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kobal2 posted:

Seems like it would be pretty simple to reskin the beam staff into an electricity theme. Here's hoping!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they made an electric psyker power they drat well better record lines of someone screaming "Wiiiiiiiitness your doooooooooooooom!"

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Playing VT2 again and then watching Darktide footage let me notice that specials seem to be a bit finer tuned. The thing I hated most about VT2 was probably special enemies like Blightstormers who could ruin runs with bullshit. I just remembered less of that sort of thing in the Darktide beta. I think you could even deflect Pox Hounds' leap attacks if you were blocking.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Arc Hammer posted:

If they made an electric psyker power they drat well better record lines of someone screaming "Wiiiiiiiitness your doooooooooooooom!"

rubber shoes in motion

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lol the way Saltzpyre is completely humbled and forced to bite his tongue after Holy Knight Kruber calls him a peasant is just such sweet revenge for that guy lol

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pennsylvanian posted:

Playing VT2 again and then watching Darktide footage let me notice that specials seem to be a bit finer tuned. The thing I hated most about VT2 was probably special enemies like Blightstormers who could ruin runs with bullshit. I just remembered less of that sort of thing in the Darktide beta. I think you could even deflect Pox Hounds' leap attacks if you were blocking.
Those grenade guys can get real bad real fast if ignored, unless you like fire. Ive seen some of those assholes walk out of a spawn closet during the data interrogation, throw a grenade, and then waltz back in after you close distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pennsylvanian posted:

Playing VT2 again and then watching Darktide footage let me notice that specials seem to be a bit finer tuned. The thing I hated most about VT2 was probably special enemies like Blightstormers who could ruin runs with bullshit.

You mean like starting a storm from halfway across the map with no possible LOS from/to the squad ? Or just the sheer disruption power of a Blightstormer appearing and immediately loving the whole party over ?