Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly the Working Designs localizations were decent for 90s translation jobs even with the dated jokes and pop culture references because they were largely solid and rarely if ever descended into incomprehensibility. Which was pretty rare back then, especially for JRPG localizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would rather have a translation for rayearth saturn that descends into incomprehensibility than one that adds jokes about condoms and child abuse

there's also tls like shining wisdom that are just, actually incomprehensible, because they literally did just edit the script to modify entire things for no reason. like the working designs script is just blatantly different from the japanese in baffling ways there. you can make arguments for some of their earlier pre-ps1 releases and their less offensive late 90s releases but a lot of their work was genuinely horrible, the silhouette mirage tl edits out a bunch of the weirder jokes of that game's script for no reason and the elemental gearbolt tl is horribly dubbed and cuts out a big chunk of unlockable story stuff to replace it with dub bloopers

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 13, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ha ha wouldn't it be funny if we rewrote this character and also game mechanic to be powered by flatulence ha ha do you think she would be embarassed ha ha just wondering

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Colonel posted:

, the silhouette mirage tl edits out a bunch of the weirder jokes of that game's script for no reason

and fucks up the game balance

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that one's a given it's very hard to find a working designs tl that does not do that

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A couple hours into Albert Odyssey on the Saturn you rescue a fairy from a dungeon and she drops the 90s ad slogan for Secret deodorant. Eventually there's a village with ebonics jokes

Weirdly, WD also put out Dragon Force around the same time but played the script more or less straight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

ha ha wouldn't it be funny if we rewrote this character and also game mechanic to be powered by flatulence ha ha do you think she would be embarassed ha ha just wondering
Didn't that one also require you to use up an inventory slot on a newly introduced item to not get a game over?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thats i think the original sega cd release of lunar. in the original the flute was just a key item you had at the start and could give away to someone. this was actually still the case in the demo for the english release, which working designs allowed you to import your save data from. this meant that if you gave that guy your flute in the demo and then imported that save the game was now impossible to beat on that save because the end sequence in the english release requires you to play a song on the flute to avoid dying. oops

Delsaber posted:

A couple hours into Albert Odyssey on the Saturn you rescue a fairy from a dungeon and she drops the 90s ad slogan for Secret deodorant. Eventually there's a village with ebonics jokes

Weirdly, WD also put out Dragon Force around the same time but played the script more or less straight.

the games they chose to gently caress around with are weirdly random

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

thats i think the original sega cd release of lunar. in the original the flute was just a key item you had at the start and could give away to someone. this was actually still the case in the demo for the english release, which working designs allowed you to import your save data from. this meant that if you gave that guy your flute in the demo and then imported that save the game was now impossible to beat on that save because the end sequence in the english release requires you to play a song on the flute to avoid dying. oops

the games they chose to gently caress around with are weirdly random
No I meant a gas mask to survive the fart-based fast travel system.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah that was a thing in their tl of vay.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
WD also took embarrassingly long to produce their localizations.

Like, they would have a release date, then push it back 6 months. Then one additional year from the 6 month projected date. I think it took them literally several years to release Arc the Lad stuff. When stuff finally came out, they would give the manuals some glitter and usually include OST CDs and extras.

Then they couldn't figure out how to compress audio to make it fit for the PS1 version of Eternal Blue - a multi disc game to begin with, which is pretty impressive. So they 'remastered' all the audio tracks by adding in midi instruments and adding echo effects and poo poo, and downsampled them all to forced mono. So you had a game on multiple CDs that forced mono audio, that was released in essentially 2001 (dec 2000). Their 'remastered' soundtrack admittedly doesn't sound bad, but it is clearly very different from the original work.

Not exactly a competent company, looking back. But at least it got exposure for some of the most classic jRPGs of the time. And a few not-so-classics, as well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The psp version's combat is soul crushingly slow, so I would avoid personally

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

nrook posted:

Is confusion any good in SaGa: Scarlet Grace? Every time I’ve landed it, it hasn’t been effective in stopping the enemy from attacking me. Indeed, it seems much worse than Sleep or Paralyze. Am I just getting unlucky?

IIRC (and it's been a while!), against enemies Confusion mostly turns off their AI, so they just kind of do things arbitrarily. So it has its uses against enemies focusing on support or enemies that focus fire, but it's not going to outright shut anyone down like other statuses can.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nyaawn posted:

The psp version's combat is soul crushingly slow, so I would avoid personally

That's just lunar in general

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BabyRyoga posted:

WD also took embarrassingly long to produce their localizations.

Like, they would have a release date, then push it back 6 months. Then one additional year from the 6 month projected date. I think it took them literally several years to release Arc the Lad stuff. When stuff finally came out, they would give the manuals some glitter and usually include OST CDs and extras.

Then they couldn't figure out how to compress audio to make it fit for the PS1 version of Eternal Blue - a multi disc game to begin with, which is pretty impressive. So they 'remastered' all the audio tracks by adding in midi instruments and adding echo effects and poo poo, and downsampled them all to forced mono. So you had a game on multiple CDs that forced mono audio, that was released in essentially 2001 (dec 2000). Their 'remastered' soundtrack admittedly doesn't sound bad, but it is clearly very different from the original work.

Not exactly a competent company, looking back. But at least it got exposure for some of the most classic jRPGs of the time. And a few not-so-classics, as well.

I think this was just Victor Ireland's MO. That company he started in the last decade or whatever is even worse. Class of Heroes 3 is still "coming soon for PSP!" - https://www.gaijinworks.com/about/psp-on-psn/class-of-heroes-3/

Summon Night 6 was... ok - the translation was actually kind of boring tbh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope everything's going alright with Granblue Fantasy Relink and Fate/EXTRA Record. I managed to successfully forget about them but now that I decided to put a list down of games I want to play and I've reminded myself that they exist, I hope those do well in getting developed smoothly.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

At least with Fate/EXTRA Record we got a new trailer a couple months back, can't say anything else beside that though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still not too far in Tactics Ogre: Reborn, but it seems like any unit with meditate is basically top tier. Meditate is pretty insane and I can't even imagine how ridiculous it will be at rank 3 when you are getting like 40-50 mp a turn and can spam your weapon finishers non stop.

Also turning Canopus into a rune fencer is :discourse: Somehow that bird became even more powerful.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah, Valkyries/Rune Fencers got a massive glow up, it’s great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Levantine posted:

I think this was just Victor Ireland's MO. That company he started in the last decade or whatever is even worse. Class of Heroes 3 is still "coming soon for PSP!" - https://www.gaijinworks.com/about/psp-on-psn/class-of-heroes-3/

Summon Night 6 was... ok - the translation was actually kind of boring tbh.

tbf summon night 6 is just. kind of a boring game. victor ireland legitimately hosed himself by choosing to begin with 5, summon night 5 sooorta set itself up as a semi-reboot... but then it didnt sell so well so the original devs got booted off and summon night 6 got handed off to media.vision to make one cheap finale game tying together all of the previous ones and basically everything 5 did to try and establish itself as a new entry point was moot

the only real places summon night translations could've started was either the ds ports of 1 and 2 or the psp ports of 3 and 4, and honestly i'm not sure why they didn't start with 3. it was always the most popular entry and while it would've been a bit old at that point, it would've been better than jumping into one that seemed to be viewed as just kinda middling

all this is, also probably why felistella made maglam lord instead of making summon night swordcraft story 4 or something

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 13, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Persona 5 Royal spoilers I guess Wait so if you want to use Kasumi she is only useable in the final month of the game, where you have 25(?) days total to get her persona upgradesrequiring 6 whole days spent exclusively on her. After making her mandatory to progress to the bonus content. Bin this character, and toss yourself in too Persona 5 Royal staff responsible for this design plan. I did not know I could grow to meta dislike this character more.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

P5R is top tier gaming, and Kasumi is great

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Persona 5 Royal spoilers I guess Wait so if you want to use Kasumi she is only useable in the final month of the game, where you have 25(?) days total to get her persona upgradesrequiring 6 whole days spent exclusively on her. After making her mandatory to progress to the bonus content. Bin this character, and toss yourself in too Persona 5 Royal staff responsible for this design plan. I did not know I could grow to meta dislike this character more.
shes cool imo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

shes cool imo

I do wish we had more Kasumi because she is cool.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
new star ocean looks good, is triace back? * fingers crossed *

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

new star ocean looks good, is triace back? * fingers crossed *

Back in the sense that they made a good game but here's hoping they can survive long enough to put out another good game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Kasumi's great and even on blind run of Royal I had enough time to max her out, finish The Tower AND get everyone's final upgrades with days to spare in the extra month and get 100% S. Links. Skill issue.

Like less jokingly, you had to spend exclusively multiple days with every other character to get their personas up as well, why is this one an issue?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kasumi owns, but I think the third semester had some serious structural issues, and even that selling it as a third semester was a bit dishonest since it's basically just another month.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game has serious structural issues

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Srice posted:

Back in the sense that they made a good game but here's hoping they can survive long enough to put out another good game

hopefully resonance of fate 2

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

the game has serious structural issues

100%, but in royal time isn't one of them. You have so much extra time even with the new content it's easy to see everything.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you shouldn't be able to see everything without optimizing your time or being on ng+

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

hopefully resonance of fate 2

:hai:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does a WD script even have any worth at this point?

Serves as a reminder of dark times. The fact that they, as translators, would also gently caress with game balance was doubly insane and showed that those people weren't game designers for good reason.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm still not too far in Tactics Ogre: Reborn, but it seems like any unit with meditate is basically top tier. Meditate is pretty insane and I can't even imagine how ridiculous it will be at rank 3 when you are getting like 40-50 mp a turn and can spam your weapon finishers non stop.

Also turning Canopus into a rune fencer is :discourse: Somehow that bird became even more powerful.

Rune Fencer having meditate can get silly in a hurry, especially if RNG decides to drop a physical card or two near them, and maybe a skill up card. You end up with mediate going off regularly and can fire off finishers left and right. Which is good because some enemies can get really drat tanky even if you're a higher level and using better gear.

OTOH... Ninja Denam. :black101:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Looper posted:

you shouldn't be able to see everything without optimizing your time or being on ng+

Nah you should be able to bumble around and still see everything. The most optimization I did was "Had a persona of the arcana when I knew I was going to be focusing that character" and "Could read so could pick the better choices"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's really not much flexibility to daytime events. For evening yeah there's plenty.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah you should be able to bumble around and still see everything. The most optimization I did was "Had a persona of the arcana when I knew I was going to be focusing that character" and "Could read so could pick the better choices"

The fortune telling really makes a world of difference too, I was able to max out all social links without a guide specifically because of that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Srice posted:

The fortune telling really makes a world of difference too, I was able to max out all social links without a guide specifically because of that.

I guess? I didn't use her too much, mostly cause I got to her as one of the mid-to-late game.

I did one-shot/minimum days every dungeon though because the new passives and the sin seeds generate so much effective MP you kind of have infinite gas to just kill them. And if you don't skip fights and then spend an afternoon in game getting all of Egg Baby's flowers you end up out over leveled pretty quickly because of the massive increase to XP gained and money gained means you can make a killer persona line up and actually buy equipment. I think by the time I got to the mid point of every dungeon most of the encounters were green aura/instant kills.

Anne never left my party because of her passive and between the other teams' passives and baton pass's damage buff being incredibly loving stupid you spend almost no resources per fight if you understand 'Hit the weakness, pass the ball'

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 13, 2022

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Yeah, in the two times I've played through Royal I pretty naturally ended up in the level 90 range without doing any grinding save for what happened while gathering all of Jose's flowers.

Yusuke almost never left my party, with how much easier it is to trigger Baton Passes and the ludicrous damage buff his Baton Pass-relevant abilities get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The extra content in Royal is an extra month, not a semester. I merely found it hilarious that after mandating you to be friends with Kasumi, they give you a paltry amount of time to use or upgrade her, especially if you want to finish upgrading the rest of the cast as those conflict with her appointments. Its not a big issue since I don't like her and wont use her, but it seems rude.

There is seriously no universe where without a guide I get the Royal new content.