Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Apparently the fans have arrived in Qatar.
All of them wearing brand new identical shirts, all of them men, most of them resembling different ethnicities than those otherwise dominant in their respective nations...
https://mobile.twitter.com/RonnieHansen/status/1591437612392513537
Apologies for the moon language, click on the thread to see the videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Long thread on all the "football fans arriving in Qatar" and doing a parade through the streets.
https://twitter.com/RonnieHansen/status/1591438100328509440?s=20&t=dTSKTeCb3Zh6qJBq5k6yrQ

All of the fans look very Indian/Nepali and Sri Lankan and they're mostly wearing brand new jerseys, no old classics or team jerseys.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

gdi

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What a fun and spontaneous outpouring of support for nations they are not from

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Undskyld :sympathy:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I really enjoyed the way the Argentinean fans adapted the way they pronounce the name of their country so that it was easier to understand for English speakers.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 12, 2022

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
garbage country

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So have they just threatened with deportation paid a bunch of the migrant workers there to stage fake marches in different country colours?

Grim lol that Ghana is actually well represented by their own people given the amount of poor fuckers working over there

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
The AliExpress fan zone

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm curious how many people have actually gone there, I'm suspecting very little given there's plenty of tickets for games available at little over face value.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The England lions are my favourite squadron

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
World Cup Supporters brought to you by Wish

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mrenda posted:

I know Ireland at USA 94 is something of a joke (although some good performances, get in Houghton!) But Jack Charlton and the Irish team of the time basically called for and pioneered some of the player care stuff we see in modern games. They wanted water breaks, they wanted water to be laid in bottles around the pitch so players could take a drink during any brief stoppage, and they wanted water to be allowed on when someone was down for an injury. All that stuff is standard now, but Charlton and Ireland were made out as cranky fools of a team with no hope trying to upset a tournament they couldn't win.

Never mind the Aldrige incident where some loving moron of an American FIFA official in a ridiculous blue and yellow uniform with no clue about the sport other than he was gifted a job because of connections refused to let them make a sub.

There was a lot of anti-Irish talk during that, while Charlton was making extremely sensible recommendations for playing football in a place with billion degree weather. Things that are now standard almost 30 years later.

As for Qatar, I'm predicting a lot of it will go off without incident. There might be one or two "big events" but most fan stuff will get sorted out diplomatically if you're from a major western nation and if you're not it'll be swept under the carpet by the media looking down on poorer nations. The media will also go whole hog on, "The football is wonderful, despite the problems. Isn't the World Cup wonderful! A time of peace and nations with differences coming together." And it'll all be a giant wet fart and FIFA will continue to take bribes and accept gold watches. And poor people will continue to die.

What I remember of Ireland in that tournament is that all 4 teams in their group went 1-1-1, and at least Ireland played some attacking foot, although it was bombs away. The afternoon game times were a travesty and an abuse, due to insistence by UEFA on having them played at Euro prime time.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm curious how many people have actually gone there, I'm suspecting very little given there's plenty of tickets for games available at little over face value.

this is the one thing im curious about and might get me to watch a game or two, otherwise im firmly in the boycott and ignore bucket

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Grimson posted:

this is the one thing im curious about and might get me to watch a game or two, otherwise im firmly in the boycott and ignore bucket

Based on the parade I fully expect them to fill seats with "workers."

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
It’s not quite on the level of the North Korean supporters in whatever World Cup that was but it’s close.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gigi Galli posted:

It’s not quite on the level of the North Korean supporters in whatever World Cup that was but it’s close.

Yeah, they owned.

Also reminder Qatar is paying for blocks of fans from each nation that will wing approved songs and have contracts against speaking out which makes me increasingly convinced they'll be the only ones turning up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Yeah, they owned.

Also reminder Qatar is paying for blocks of fans from each nation that will wing approved songs and have contracts against speaking out which makes me increasingly convinced they'll be the only ones turning up.

There's definitely a lot of fans that have paid their way there

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If they’re gonna pay for fans to be there they should get their money’s worth by requiring them to rehearse chants, songs and dances. 90 minutes of choreographed fan programming every game, no less.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vegetable posted:

If they’re gonna pay for fans to be there they should get their money’s worth by requiring them to rehearse chants, songs and dances. 90 minutes of choreographed fan programming every game, no less.

MLS execs rubbing their thighs and licking their lips

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Finally, it's Austin FC's time to shine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yeah, they owned.

they have to defend qatar on social media too don't forget

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

The afternoon game times were a travesty and an abuse, due to insistence by UEFA on having them played at Euro prime time.
I'm not 100% confident on the ID, but I think it was former Rangers/Chelsea player John Spencer who talked about getting poo poo from friends back home in Scotland over how slow the pace of play in MLS was, and defending it by talking about how the on-pitch temperatures were so hot for summer afternoon games that one time in Dallas part of a player's shoe started to melt.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Grimson posted:

Long thread on all the "football fans arriving in Qatar" and doing a parade through the streets.
https://twitter.com/RonnieHansen/status/1591438100328509440?s=20&t=dTSKTeCb3Zh6qJBq5k6yrQ

All of the fans look very Indian/Nepali and Sri Lankan and they're mostly wearing brand new jerseys, no old classics or team jerseys.

Tweets were deleted but there’s more lols here

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1591169394348265472?s=46&t=Pn8ttNnnBZDLxPAkvze6Fg

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Apparently we got it all wrong lads

https://twitter.com/cvnihad/status/1591178865409499144?t=n1QUGO8G-MwCaBGX0JZsew&s=19

Just genuine fans living in the moment

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
- You couldn't pay me to be an England fan
- The alternative is jail
- IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING...

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Mrenda posted:

Handing you a trumpet and holding a gun too your head until you start playing rule Britannia

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Tbf there's probably a whole bunch of plastics for all the big national teams in South Asia and plenty of flights to Qatar from there so if it was easy for them to get tickets because the FAs wouldn't use them all I can see this happening

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mrenda posted:

Best slap the cuffs on then

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

elbkaida posted:

Tbf there's probably a whole bunch of plastics for all the big national teams in South Asia and plenty of flights to Qatar from there so if it was easy for them to get tickets because the FAs wouldn't use them all I can see this happening

If actual fans from richer countries like Germany and England can't afford to go why in the hell do you think a bunch of random South Asians could afford it

Also is plastic national supporting actually a thing? Buying shirts is one thing but actually buying tickets and actively supporting the team?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

If actual fans from richer countries like Germany and England can't afford to go why in the hell do you think a bunch of random South Asians could afford it

Also is plastic national supporting actually a thing? Buying shirts is one thing but actually buying tickets and actively supporting the team?

How soon we forget the district of culembia

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is the Plastic World Cup, OP.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

This is the Plastic World Cup, OP.

I thought that was Miss Universe

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Just saw a qammercial for the hashtag road to 2022 and I am reassured that quatar is a really cool and fun country that deserves the world qup

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Just saw a qammercial for the hashtag road to 2022 and I am reassured that quatar is a really cool and fun country that deserves the world qup

More and more social media accounts registered a week ago are saying this

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Butterfly Valley posted:

The argument from Qatari citizens is that those are migrant workers who are there totally voluntarily because they love football and support their favorite teams, since India did not qualify and organized a big parade on social media.

I guess that is not completely impossible? I dont think anyone claimed those were legit tourists instead of migrant workers, whether they are paid to be there or not.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Eezee posted:

The argument from Qatari citizens is that those are migrant workers who are there totally voluntarily because they love football and support their favorite teams, since India did not qualify and organized a big parade on social media.

I guess that is not completely impossible? I dont think anyone claimed those were legit tourists instead of migrant workers, whether they are paid to be there or not.

It is completely impossible. Thousands of South Asian migrant workers with color coordinated "Brazil Fans - Qatar" shirts aren't doing that organically.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Eezee posted:

Come on. It's as organic as a Harlem Shake video.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
noted Good Lads Bruno Fernandes and Christian Eriksen

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/13/it-should-be-done-in-a-better-way-fernandes-criticises-qatar-world-cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Mrenda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6nPu-1auE