Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of them, yes. Sinema is less important at least. We still have to deal with Manchin.

Mandela Barnes, Cheri Beasley or Tim Ryan would have been the knockout blow to Manchin, but alas none of them panned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Yes, everyone should breathe a deep sigh of relief that the only person we now need to placate is this guy:

MANCHIN REACTS TO BIDEN'S OUTRAGEOUS COAL COMMENTS posted:

Charleston, WV – Today, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) released the following statement on comments President Biden made about shutting down coal plants.

“President Biden’s comments are not only outrageous and divorced from reality, they ignore the severe economic pain the American people are feeling because of rising energy costs. Comments like these are the reason the American people are losing trust in President Biden and instead believes he does not understand the need to have an all in energy policy that would keep our nation totally energy independent and secure. It seems his positions change depending on the audience and the politics of the day. Politicizing our nation’s energy policies would only bring higher prices and more pain for the American people.

“Let me be clear, this is something the President has never said to me. Being cavalier about the loss of coal jobs for men and women in West Virginia and across the country who literally put their lives on the line to help build and power this country is offensive and disgusting. The President owes these incredible workers an immediate and public apology and it is time he learn a lesson that his words matter and have consequences.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

If Warnock can win, does that invalidate the need to placate Sienema and Manchin?

They don't really gently caress with judges and it's still unlikely Dems keep the house so they may not much matter. But yeah, every bit helps. Perhaps the carried interest loophole can be closed just as a finger in Sinema's eye.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of them, yes. Sinema is less important at least. We still have to deal with Manchin.

Disagree. Sinema needs to be courted, Manchin is likely to retire in 2024. He's old and from a state that would likely vote against him next election, as not many dems are too enthusiastic for voting for him. She needs to be brought to heel or she will likely get primaried out of her job in 2024.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cimber posted:

Disagree. Sinema needs to be courted, Manchin is likely to retire in 2024. He's old and from a state that would likely vote against him next election, as not many dems are too enthusiastic for voting for him. She needs to be brought to heel or she will likely get primaried out of her job in 2024.

She IS getting primaried. It's far too late to change that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

evilweasel posted:

She IS getting primaried. It's far too late to change that.

The AZ Dems need to run Scott Kelly against her. Give the United States the first twin senators.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The AZ Dems need to run Scott Kelly against her. Give the United States the first twin senators.

Twin Astronaut Senators from Arizona is one hell of a pitch to be honest.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1591634888343851009

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's going to continue the way it has been going for the past few months...the GOP will continue to further restrict or ban abortion entirely in places where they can get away with it

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

Manchin will die in office, he’s going nowhere, and his popularity is quite high in WV because they love the fact he sticks it to the Dems and they suck up to him because they need him. Sinema is already getting primaried like plans are actively in the works and a candidate has already all but declared (Ruben Gallego).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Oracle posted:

Manchin will die in office, he’s going nowhere, and his popularity is quite high in WV because they love the fact he sticks it to the Dems and they suck up to him because they need him. Sinema is already getting primaried like plans are actively in the works and a candidate has already all but declared (Ruben Gallego).
I thought he was thinking of retiring. Is he going to run again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nobody retires anymore.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Charlz Guybon posted:

No Manchin will be running till he dies. I don't like him, you might not like him, but it turns out that a majority of people in West Virginia love him and his approval ratings indicate they're going to vote for him again.

Meanwhile, the citizens of Arizona have made it aggressively clear that they loving hate Sinema and have already picked out the guy they want to replace her with the second they're legally allowed to do so. Turns out her "I'm going to immediately abandon all the things that made people want to vote for me in the first place and sell out to team evil thus intentionally and actively screwing over all the campaigners who worked hard to get me this job in the first place" strategy made her pretty unpopular for some mysterious reason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Assuming Warnock wins, we'll get to see if claims that other Dem senators are hiding behind Sinema are true very soon.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Boggles the mind how stupid they are

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1591725751530704896
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1591725756052291584
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1591725759252795393

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

I think the infighting and fascism of the GOP did help, but I think the student loans and weed movement made it go over the top.

People vote for you when you do stuff for them. It's simple as that. I was on the fence for voting in the summer; I was likely to do it, but not be excited about it. Then Biden came through on student loans and I thought, "well, he did the thing I wanted, it would be very rude to not vote for him now!"

I just hope the dems don't take away "be more moderate" or some poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

As always, it is fear and hate that carries the day. The GOP is basically mainlining the Democrats' propaganda to the brains of people for them, imagine what they could wring out with actual propaganda of their own. It's ridiculous that Joe loving Biden has basically went furthest in calling Republicans what they are as far as notable Democrats are concerned.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Oracle posted:

It looks like Gallego is pretty popular and has overall decent positions, so I assume he'd do well in a statewide election.

Meanwhile Sinema apparently has delusions that she's what the country wants as a president, and I can't imagine that the normal fallback plan of a sinecure lobbyist job is very likely for a (probable) one-term senator that is hated by both sides of the aisle.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Can you imagine the prank possibilities? Heh heh...

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is one of the dumber headlines I've seen lately:

From Elon Musk to Sam Bankman-Fried, a bad week for market geniuses, but was it their fault?

Yes, CNBC. It was their fault for being stupid.
But have you considered that geniuses cannot fail, they can only be failed?

That's our narrative moving forward.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Can you imagine the prank possibilities? Heh heh...

Like you think you're getting hosed by one Senator but they swap out halfway?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Like both senators vote but hey wait, isn’t senator Kelly in Hawaii? *cue rimshot*

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't forget the flourish at the end when people ask what the name of the act is:

"The Aristo...Democrats!"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

How's the article match up to the headline? I don't have a sub and to be entirely honest don't want to waste valuable weekend time on the NYT getting around their paywall, but now's probably the most perfect time for some shithead editor to ham it up. I'm definitely expecting some interestingly unhinged takes since it was basically only their own local Dem party moderates that they invented a crime wave to support that had their backs broken.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Could you provide a little more commentary please? Who is this guy, why is his opinion notable, and do you think he's right or wrong? Who do you think is being mind bogglingly stupid here?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

How's the article match up to the headline? I don't have a sub and to be entirely honest don't want to waste valuable weekend time on the NYT getting around their paywall, but now's probably the most perfect time for some shithead editor to ham it up. I'm definitely expecting some interestingly unhinged takes since it was basically only their own local Dem party moderates that they invented a crime wave to support that had their backs broken.

The article is largely about the GOP, blaming them for completely squandering a set of conditions that everyone expected to lead to a red wave. It's generally written as a "How the GOP blew it" piece.

I can't make a ton of sense of Marshall's objection, since he's doing the thing where someone conveys their position exclusively through smug, snippy sarcasm instead of just loving saying what they mean. I think he's saying that the Dems won because they had the Correct positions on the Correct issues, and that all the little details like gas prices and picking candidates and campaigning are just "PressBrain" nonsense that don't matter.

I don't have much to say about it, except that it's real loving rich for Josh Marshall - the founder of Talking Points Memo, who graduated from political blogging to political journalism a decade and a half ago - to accuse anyone else of having "PressBrain". He's got it just as bad as his opponents do, if not worse, if he thinks you can look at an incredibly close election like this and point to one overriding factor that decided everything. There's no doubt that the GOP going full fash and overturning Roe had some impact, but Trump's feuding with McConnell and Rick Scott stealing all the money certainly had some impact as well, as did the lineup of absolute vampires they were running like Blake Masters.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fister Roboto posted:

Could you provide a little more commentary please? Who is this guy, why is his opinion notable, and do you think he's right or wrong? Who do you think is being mind bogglingly stupid here?

He runs a very large and reasonably successful news and opinion website that is decades old. He’s definitely more in the third way kind of space but his correspondents are increasingly left leaning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

The article is largely about the GOP, blaming them for completely squandering a set of conditions that everyone expected to lead to a red wave. It's generally written as a "How the GOP blew it" piece.

I can't make a ton of sense of Marshall's objection, since he's doing the thing where someone conveys their position exclusively through smug, snippy sarcasm instead of just loving saying what they mean. I think he's saying that the Dems won because they had the Correct positions on the Correct issues, and that all the little details like gas prices and picking candidates and campaigning are just "PressBrain" nonsense that don't matter.

I don't have much to say about it, except that it's real loving rich for Josh Marshall - the founder of Talking Points Memo, who graduated from political blogging to political journalism a decade and a half ago - to accuse anyone else of having "PressBrain". He's got it just as bad as his opponents do, if not worse, if he thinks you can look at an incredibly close election like this and point to one overriding factor that decided everything. There's no doubt that the GOP going full fash and overturning Roe had some impact, but Trump's feuding with McConnell and Rick Scott stealing all the money certainly had some impact as well, as did the lineup of absolute vampires they were running like Blake Masters.

his objection is this part of the tweet:

quote:

Democrats turned in the best midterm showing in two decades for a party holding the White House. Interviews with more than 70 people reveal the miscalculations, misreadings and infighting in both parties that led the GOP to blow its chance at a blowout.

basically that the NYT couldn't manage to avoid both-siding an article about how the GOP blew it in this tweet

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Main Paineframe posted:

Here's an archive link as well.

Speaking of which, if anyone's come across any other good post-midterms "deep dive" analysis articles, please post them.

I imagine we'll be seeing a lot more of them come out next week.

EDIT: Here's the Brookings panel.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 13, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Sinema has said other senators hide behind her, so I suspect (but am willing to be surprised) that the type of obstructionist role she played will have one or two senators jumping in to help.

You aren’t down to negotiating with Sinema or Manchin. Now you’ll have other centrist/conservative Dems have to step up too, which might make them uncomfortable but the sinecure is guaranteed, so I suspect they’ll do it.

There isn’t one easy trick to defeat the billions of dollars of will to defeat a fifteen dollar minimum wage. If all opponents have to do is buy one more Senator, that’s a small price to pay.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

selec posted:

Sinema has said other senators hide behind her, so I suspect (but am willing to be surprised) that the type of obstructionist role she played will have one or two senators jumping in to help.

You aren’t down to negotiating with Sinema or Manchin. Now you’ll have other centrist/conservative Dems have to step up too, which might make them uncomfortable but the sinecure is guaranteed, so I suspect they’ll do it.

There isn’t one easy trick to defeat the billions of dollars of will to defeat a fifteen dollar minimum wage. If all opponents have to do is buy one more Senator, that’s a small price to pay.

Sinema is an idiot and a liar, even by politician standards, so I'm pretty willing to discount this as total bullshit unless literally any other senator has made statements indicating it's true.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

selec posted:

This line gets trotted out a bunch from a person who lies constantly, why is this politician the one you believe?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

This line gets trotted out a bunch from a person who lies constantly, why is this politician the one you believe?

I’m perfectly willing to believe Chris coons is way more conservative than he, well, openly let’s on, and more than willing to let sinema and manchin take the heat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

Her quote about other people "hiding behind her skirt" was that there were a bunch of people who supported her, but would never vote against it publicly. She was saying that if it wasn't for her, then all the reckless taxes and spending would have sailed through because the other 3-4 Democratic Senators were political cowards.

Even if you take her 100% at her word (you shouldn't, but let's say you do), it doesn't really matter if someone thinks it is bad policy, but votes for it because they are scared politically.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
There's some Mandela Effect on that Sinema quote:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's from the book the "hiding behind my skirt" quote came from. Re-reading it, I just noticed she didn't actually claim anyone else told her they were opposed to parts of BBB, just that it was her "feeling" they were.

https://books.google.com/books?id=d...20skirt&f=false

Regardless, given the full spectrum of personalities and backgrounds in the party there are probably several members who aren't 100% behind every aspect of every piece of legislation, but that's very different than being a member who's willing to stand up and go against their ingroup when the entire rest of the caucus wants to move forward on something.

Manchin and Sinema both did it for different reasons, but they also both had the kind of "rogue/outsider" personality type that would stand against their ingroup and smile while taking all that heat. Manchin is enough of a smug little prick, I think he actually gets off on being a fly in the ointment.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 13, 2022

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

selec posted:

Leaving aside what others said, why is "Person criticized for unpopular stance claims to be only one brave enough to say it out loud" ever evidence of anything but that person wanting to avoid blame?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Manchin does it because he knows it plays well with West Virginia voters and he can stay in office as long as he wants while pissing off the other 99% of democrats. Sinema’s shtick is absolutely not playing with Arizona voters so she most likely won’t get a chance to keep doing it in two years

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 13, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, it's the same as the silent majority bullshit that conservatives love to pretend exists.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there a thread for the FTX debacle and other crypto/NFT silliness? I was going to post here but then thought it might not be the adequate thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sephyr posted:

Is there a thread for the FTX debacle and other crypto/NFT silliness? I was going to post here but then thought it might not be the adequate thread.

It's an ongoing disaster, so you can post about here.

There's also the tech nightmare thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763277