Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The only way to avoid AA single shot marksman is to sprint jump everywhere that may be pre aimed soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love this game so much. For anyone here who's a Minecraft fan, do you remember your first hours in Survival with that? That's what Valheim feels like, except way better.

Actual skills to level, danger to avoid (and eventually conquer), better physics. My wife and I usually play in a friend's world where it's us 4, with our friends being way more knowledgeable about everything. One of our friends is a tank charscter, kinda helping us all out when we go looking for trolls or burial crypts.

Well, they weren't available last night, so my wife and I took our leveled characters into our own world and started over. We were doing just great until we realized we needed copper, which meant a trip to first find and then explore the Black Forest. We were nervous, because we usually have ol' Tankie as a kind of insurance. We found copper, and carefully took as much as possible (along with tin), all the while one of us would stay on the lookout for trolls and skeletons. Success! We bring it all back, only to realize that to build a smelter, we also need those cores you find in crypts.

gently caress.

My wife was not at all confident in her skills and really didn't want to go into a crypt. I believed in myself and said I'd go it alone, if she'd rather stay at our compound (we already have walls surrounding everything) and build onto our homestead.

So, we wake up one morning, I eat, and then I head off to the BF, which I had previously marked on my map. I get there, and am EXTREMELY vigilant; I realize that, generally, the mobs scale to you but still. And finally, I find the crypt! I don't WANT to go in alone (the music and sound design is A+ and creeps me out), but I have to. So, I make sure I'm fed at max, and step on in.

Immediately, with the first door I open, I'm attacked by two skeletons, one of them being a one-star, but I live! I keep searching, taking out 2 spawners and a giant rancid skeleton (I think his head got stuck in a doorway), and I get the cores, activate my stamina boost (Eikthyr?) and run the gently caress back to our home.

We were both pretty tired at that point, so the smelter and eventual forge will have to be made today but goddamn, is this game fulfilling, overflowing with that sense of adventure.

Goddamn.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
People have said their first troll encounter was the highlight of the game, but for me it was the crypts. Just the perfect DUNGEON atmosphere that combines feelings of utter fear and the urge to explore. Sound design is top-notch. Hearing echoes of bone rattles and not knowing whether they are coming from behind this door or that door...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't remember my first experience with those touchstones in Valheim, but only because the memory of encountering them again for the first time in VR is even more visceral. The black forest is just top quality design, especially since it borders much more hostile biomes that you won't be safely exploring for a long time yet (preserving the sense of a vastly wider - and threatening - world). To the first troll and first dungeon I'd add the first encounters with the mountain and plains creatures on the edge of the forest, including the first furtive and fearful glimpses of their home biomes. The mix of wonder and terror in that early-mid game is unrivaled.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 13, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Trolls went from "big enemy that hurts" to "big enemy that hurts TREES!!" in less than an hour with my group, then we used one to clear out the area for our first major base.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Trolls went from "big enemy that hurts" to "big enemy that hurts TREES!!" in less than an hour with my group, then we used one to clear out the area for our first major base.

One of my favourite things is being the designated woodsman (and quite literally being better at it than others as a result), and trying to specifically fell trees into other trees and cause some sort of timber armageddon.

Also, it's pretty cool when chopping with others, the actual need to say/yell timber for their benefit.

:black101: <- the most apt smiley.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, it's pretty cool when chopping with others, the actual need to say/yell timber for their benefit.

Why would you need to do that

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Because falling trees deal damage and will absolutely murder someone early on.

Or maybe you find that amusing and enjoy a game of "dodge the falling tree" with your friends lol.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

Or maybe you find that amusing and enjoy a game of "dodge the falling tree" with your friends lol.

Now you're getting it. There's no friendly fire in the game otherwise so how else are you supposed to grief your buddies.

I'm jealous of anyone playing through the game for the first time, Valheim is the #1 game I wish I could wipe my memory of and play for the first time again. I still fire it up from time to time but after a few hundred hours I know all the mechanics and how to optimize everything already, so I don't get the same rush of figuring out how to do something challenging anymore.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Someday I will install all the diablo-esque crazy loot mods for a replay. More reason to go exploring.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

Someday I will install all the diablo-esque crazy loot mods for a replay. More reason to go exploring.

Oh, jfc, that's all this game needs.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shibawanko posted:

the best weapons for the swamp are the hoe and pickaxe

100%, i hated swamps the first time around. second playthrough i took a couple of stone hoes and leveled my way to every crypt. gives you nice pathways to drag a cart on, too, so you can just mash through a couple of crypts and then drag all the iron back in one go. Leveling alone gets you 90% of the way there.

oh, and leveled the hell out of the bonemass altar area, too

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a surtling core harvest pit is also hilarious

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Valheim has ruined me for other survival games. It’s hard to get past how annoying the survival mechanics are in stuff like Raft and Grounded are compared to Valheim. Astroneer was a lot of fun with friends, though. Still I need Mistlands to come out soon, I need another hit…

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

another thing i really like in the game is fixing up abandoned shacks. my friends and i bought a draugr village in sweden and you won't believe the results

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Firebert posted:

Valheim has ruined me for other survival games. It’s hard to get past how annoying the survival mechanics are in stuff like Raft and Grounded are compared to Valheim. Astroneer was a lot of fun with friends, though. Still I need Mistlands to come out soon, I need another hit…

Funny I found Grounded had so many QoL features I'm having difficulty returning to Valheim. I know a lot of it can be modded away but still, feels pretty bare-bones in comparison. That being said the general atmosphere and ambiance of Valheim is unsurpassed in survival games.

also epic loot owns, really want more of that.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

acumen posted:

Funny I found Grounded had so many QoL features I'm having difficulty returning to Valheim. I know a lot of it can be modded away but still, feels pretty bare-bones in comparison. That being said the general atmosphere and ambiance of Valheim is unsurpassed in survival games.

Was not really a huge fan of raw meat and cooked food expiring in Grounded, not sure what the point of that was. It also had the same issue for me as Raft did where you need to use resources to repair your gear (though to be fair, the mats were nowhere near as frustrating to get as in Raft lol). Difficulty curve was really off for us as well. I guess I just really prefer the simple and casual atmosphere of Valheim more.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Valheim certainly has features of a survival game but I’m not sure I would call it one since survival is not really something you need to work to keep. You’ll always be alive (since you’re already dead) but you can lose your stuff and make yourself better. I guess it’s more of a hard game where you build stuff? That’s a genre name right.

To make a comparison so specific it’s basically useless if someone loved barely scraping by in Don’t Starve I wouldn’t recommend Valheim as a replacement but if someone played 7 Days to Die on the harder difficulties but turned off the blood moons I would.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, jfc, that's all this game needs.

Don’t know exactly how you meant this but honestly it does officially need that or something like it. The one big issue I have with unmodded Valheim is that exploration just isn’t a thing unless the seed you have makes finding a specific crafting material way too hard. The worlds are gigantic and gorgeous but unless you’re building literal cities and fleets of ships you won’t need more than one decent meadow, one decent black forest, probably two decent swamps, a decent mountain, and a plains (for now). The only thing to explore for is neat looking terrain or a place to build something which to be fair does have its appeal but something material to find always helps.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 13, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I meant it kinda halfway between "holy poo poo, that'd be an insane amount of gear :stare:", and "holy poo poo, that'd be an insane amount of gear :swoon:"

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

a surtling core harvest pit is also hilarious

Wait, how? Isn't the ground level basically at the waterline already? Or are you surrounding the flame geyser thing with earthworks?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All you really have to do is dig down under the spawner until you hit water and then enlarge the waterhole to like 10m radius around the spawner, the Surtlings spawn in the water and immediately die.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrianRx posted:

Wait, how? Isn't the ground level basically at the waterline already? Or are you surrounding the flame geyser thing with earthworks?

Nope, you can dig out around the vent and surtlings die instantly upon spawn.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrianRx posted:

If you’re on the same general level as the ocean you can always dig down to water, though eventually you can’t because now you’re swimming and can’t use tools without mods. Other than that I believe bedrock, where you can’t break blocks any more, depends entirely on the height of the original starting block. So you can’t dig down from the top of a mountain to ocean level but you can do the surtling thing. Or carve out the side of a meadows hill next to the shore to build a protected dock.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

idiotsavant posted:

100%, i hated swamps the first time around. second playthrough i took a couple of stone hoes and leveled my way to every crypt. gives you nice pathways to drag a cart on, too, so you can just mash through a couple of crypts and then drag all the iron back in one go. Leveling alone gets you 90% of the way there.

oh, and leveled the hell out of the bonemass altar area, too

It's worth noting that basically any problem in valheim can be solved by investing some building time. Bosses especially. We trapped the elk in a giant pit, dug a trench to pepper the tree with fire arrows, built an arena with walls and platforms to trivialize the bone mass, flattened a mountaintop for the dragon.

It's super worthwhile to do things like building roads and way stations and staging areas and that is absolutely an awesome thing about valheim.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like the feeling of civilizing the wild areas in the game. swamps try to be scary but i like to make them all hygge by building tree forts with torches and bonfires

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

All you really have to do is dig down under the spawner until you hit water and then enlarge the waterhole to like 10m radius around the spawner, the Surtlings spawn in the water and immediately die.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope, you can dig out around the vent and surtlings die instantly upon spawn.

Kibayasu posted:

If you’re on the same general level as the ocean you can always dig down to water, though eventually you can’t because now you’re swimming and can’t use tools without mods. Other than that I believe bedrock, where you can’t break blocks any more, depends entirely on the height of the original starting block. So you can’t dig down from the top of a mountain to ocean level but you can do the surtling thing.

Interesting. I didn't notice that surtlings die in water, but it makes the random coal and cores I sometimes stumble across make sense. Thanks!

quote:

Or carve out the side of a meadows hill next to the shore to build a protected dock.

This is very cool. I wish the draw distance was better so you could see your cool dock structures from the water before you're on top of them.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

There's no friendly fire in the game otherwise so how else are you supposed to grief your buddies.

Isn't there a friendly fire toggle? Am I thinking of the wrong game? Or does that just mean you're susceptible to friendly fire, not able to inflict it on others unless they also hit that toggle?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I always end up a little sad when I play with my friends because I enjoy the aesthetics of the game, and prefer building with rather than against the terrain, but inevitably I'll come back to base and someone will have paved the entire area and built some gigantic tree farm that obliterates the framerate when domino-cut due to physics lag. And it's never for the greater goal of building something nice, it's to build some brutalist megastructure that permanently lags the base into uselessness due to too many objects.

What I'm saying is that art imitates life and humans suck.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

? Or does that just mean you're susceptible to friendly fire, not able to inflict it on others unless they also hit that toggle?

It's this one

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

I always end up a little sad when I play with my friends because I enjoy the aesthetics of the game, and prefer building with rather than against the terrain, but inevitably I'll come back to base and someone will have paved the entire area and built some gigantic tree farm that obliterates the framerate when domino-cut due to physics lag. And it's never for the greater goal of building something nice, it's to build some brutalist megastructure that permanently lags the base into uselessness due to too many objects.

While this is only my first experience with the game, I'm glad to be playing with people who don't play like this. We have a bit of flattened land, but we're not min-maxing anything.

We're just living and fighting.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah it’s always a pleasure to play with people who are strongly invested in the aesthetics of a settlement. Especially when they’re working on the village while you’re off doing another thing and you sail home to discover this gorgeous castle or whatever.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Style and aesthetic is the true end game.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

I absolutely min-max the tedious stuff like tree farming but make sure it's far away from the base, usually through a dedicated portal. Anything within viewing distance of the base is sacred in terms of terrain modification and needs to be carefully considered. I've even gone to the trouble of planting an entire forest to hide ugly poo poo that's nearby and digging/raising terrain selectively so the walls aren't visible.

Doing it this way requires either everyone on board with that plan or a base dictator.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Building little houses (or very big houses) frontline material gathering was a fun and useful thing to do, forge/craft on site and transport the rest back to the main base and give yourself a little area to rest up at or make a safe portal.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Yeah it’s always a pleasure to play with people who are strongly invested in the aesthetics of a settlement. Especially when they’re working on the village while you’re off doing another thing and you sail home to discover this gorgeous castle or whatever.

me and my friends built an asterix style walled village that organically formed into streets and a town square

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Building little houses for frontline material gathering was a fun and useful thing to do

And hilarious watching a group of 6-8 people all trying to jam a bed into the tiny house so we could sleep through the night

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

PittTheElder posted:

And hilarious watching a group of 6-8 people all trying to jam a bed into the tiny house so we could sleep through the night

Trying to thread the needle on being close enough to the fire to be in its radius, but not dangerously close.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BrianRx posted:

Interesting. I didn't notice that surtlings die in water, but it makes the random coal and cores I sometimes stumble across make sense. Thanks!

This is very cool. I wish the draw distance was better so you could see your cool dock structures from the water before you're on top of them.

I think fires have a greater draw distance for some reason? Put a fire by the seaward side, when coming up on my camps I'll often see the fires first, even if they are behind walls that would have blocked my view of it.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

me and my friends built an asterix style walled village that organically formed into streets and a town square

I think it's the organic and creative 'expansion' of your own structures/bases that really highlights why Valheim is a great game for me. If you aren't min/maxing, and just taking it as it comes - you get some nice stories about the locations you build along the way.

My main base, for example - started off as a small camp underneath a stone deposit in the Black Forest. Over time, I added more and more structures, a small house to hold wood here, a little tunnel to the next stone deposit there...

Eventually, its now become a massive hill-fort, with a central keep now built on top of the original stone deposit (which is mostly intact, just chiselled out inside). Its' not functional at all, everywhere is a mess, and its just the way I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My favourite build in Valheim to date is still the time we found a silver deposite buried inside the intersection of three or 4 of the really big stones, chiselled it out, and I wound up with a house hidden in the mountainside that you really struggle to find other than the smoke. Quite a big one too.

The sad thing being it only got built when we were almost done in the mountains and I never really used it because it was two portals from anything useful.