Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Len posted:

Because the target audience (children) don't care

do you have, like, a problem with kids or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People who melt down and threaten to destroy their copies over features being removed or w/e deserve to be mocked but I have no idea why there's so much pushback to "I wish they didnt remove an optional feature that's been int he game since the series beginning" lol

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People who melt down and threaten to destroy their copies over features being removed or w/e deserve to be mocked but I have no idea why there's so much pushback to "I wish they didnt remove an optional feature that's been int he game since the series beginning" lol

You know exactly why

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i still don't understand why people can't just hit no when prompted

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Nintendo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

there are way more interesting things to discuss about scarlet and violet tbh, like the lack of level-scaling, which i'm torn on

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wouldn't call it pushback, I'd call it if you've been paying attention to the Pokemon series for the past decade then you shouldn't really expect anything other than a complete dumbing down and homogenization of the experience. Pokemon as a concept is cool and I understand a lot of people have nostalgia for it, but it's not exactly a game to play if you want to do interesting things, and it hasn't been for a while.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

American McGay posted:

I wouldn't call it pushback, I'd call it if you've been paying attention to the Pokemon series for the past decade then you shouldn't really expect anything other than a complete dumbing down and homogenization of the experience. Pokemon as a concept is cool and I understand a lot of people have nostalgia for it, but it's not exactly a game to play if you want to do interesting things, and it hasn't been for a while.

This is completely fair. I don't think it's a game ruining removal, it was just such a minor staple seeing it gone makes me sad.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
ultimately it sucks when a standard thing is removed for no reason and its OK to say that. people shutting down literally any complaint with "I just enjoy the game" is tiresome, and I say this as someone who does just enjoy the game, my standards are not high

however it's hard to take some complaints seriously or in good faith when they come from certain posters who only show up to complain about literally everything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

An Actual Princess posted:

and I don't understand why I can't just say "that's dumb" about a weird change in a series I like without people throwing a fit

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pokémon might be for children but there’s little reason to remove a long-standing feature for people who aren’t children, of which there are many who still enjoy these games.

I have no real dog in this race, I just hope the game is fun, but y’all weird.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I finished Inside last night. It's a puzzle platformer from the same team that made Limbo. You play as a little boy running through a hellish nightmare world, evading men with flashlights and solving puzzles. Creepy, creepy game with a lot of close calls/anxious moments. It's quite compelling and fun as long as you are making progress, but sometimes the momentum stops as you try to figure out a puzzle/die over and over while trying to figure out what to do. Too much swimming in the game as well, imo. Also for some reason you can't record video clips with the back button in this game.

Did you watch the movie ET as a kid? You know the scenes where it's in the forest at night and FBI agents with really bright flashlights are searching around? So you just see beams of light pushing through the foliage and hear men shouting? This game really captures that creepy feeling. And the ending was downright disturbing.

I really enjoyed it! It's currently on sale for $1.99 on the eshop, along with Limbo, which is also good.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Imagine if every time you wanted to post a popup said "Are you sure you want to post that?"- wait, no, nevermind, forget that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Idea: At beginning of Pokemon select your trainer age. Gym leaders will use more advanced strategies and moves on older trainers. They take it easy on kids.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda just want the rest of the game to be as challenging as battle tower AI can be.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i want team rocket to come to my house and beat my rear end

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

meowth, that's right

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

there are way more interesting things to discuss about scarlet and violet tbh, like the lack of level-scaling, which i'm torn on

Tbh anything that makes the game harder is nice, altho i imagine it never makes the game hard

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pikachu should say gently caress

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh anything that makes the game harder is nice, altho i imagine it never makes the game hard

it doesn’t really make the game that much harder but it makes battles a bit more exciting because you don’t get to peak at the opponent’s next Pokémon.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

i mean depending on where you go it can get difficult. it's real easy to wander into places way stronger than you

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lack of leveling scaling and exp share sounds more like it would end up letting you outscale a lot of areas

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I finished Inside last night. It's a puzzle platformer from the same team that made Limbo. You play as a little boy running through a hellish nightmare world, evading men with flashlights and solving puzzles. Creepy, creepy game with a lot of close calls/anxious moments. It's quite compelling and fun as long as you are making progress, but sometimes the momentum stops as you try to figure out a puzzle/die over and over while trying to figure out what to do. Too much swimming in the game as well, imo. Also for some reason you can't record video clips with the back button in this game.

Did you watch the movie ET as a kid? You know the scenes where it's in the forest at night and FBI agents with really bright flashlights are searching around? So you just see beams of light pushing through the foliage and hear men shouting? This game really captures that creepy feeling. And the ending was downright disturbing.

I really enjoyed it! It's currently on sale for $1.99 on the eshop, along with Limbo, which is also good.

Cool review! Glad you liked it. I think I tried one of them if not both on Steam ages ago, they are indeed good games.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

RME posted:

Lack of leveling scaling and exp share sounds more like it would end up letting you outscale a lot of areas

this is also true, and why i'm torn on it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RME posted:

That is how levelling works in most games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has pokemon ever had level scaling?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

Has pokemon ever had level scaling?

no, but it's also always been extremely linear before this, so it would be unnecessary. sc/vi let you go wherever you want, so what level content is actually matters

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

no, but it's also always been extremely linear before this, so it would be unnecessary. sc/vi let you go wherever you want, so what level content is actually matters

So you want them to implement level scaling? Something that gets bitched about in almost every game that has it because it makes the game feel like you don't ever actually get stronger?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

So you want them to implement level scaling? Something that gets bitched about in almost every game that has it because it makes the game feel like you don't ever actually get stronger?

did you miss the hundred posts i made where i said i'm torn about it? there's positives and negatives to both

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There are romhacks that include scaling. It's generally a miserable experience.

Really, if you treat the main games as if they were competitive (no usable items, set mode, do not level beyond the next gym leader) they can actually give a challenge. Specially ones like Ultra S/M which actually EV their trainers

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's felt not amazing to just steamroll two gyms because they happened to not be the direction i went first, so it's not like a lack of level scaling is perfect. still, i think i prefer it this way, because scaling does introduce the problem of not ever feeling like you're truly progressing

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Fight or kiss you cowards! I want that detective Pikachu game they promised for the Switch.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the thing about pokemon is that the newer games tend to be easier and less engaging than the older ones, and while most of the tweaks that've happened to cause that are invisible, stuff like removing settings isn't. It costs nothing to leave that in, gamefreak, why are you touching it. Stop that.

and before anyone replies to say "uh, actually the older games were harder because you were a child" - I occasionally go back to play Gen 3 and 4, and those games still manage to kick my rear end a bit during the important fights, which is fun. I like when bossfights have tension.

Weirdly, the only game that really managed to capture that feeling again was loving BDSP of all things, because they actually made the Elite 4 tough - I was grinning like an idiot during the entirety of the Cynthia fight. The rest of the game is a walk in the park, but hey, whaddaya know, giving the bosses decent movesets and held items makes the game fun and engaging! (it also helps that you can turn off the OP Friendship bonuses by simply giving your pokemon Herbal Medicine)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

level scaling would be hard to implement in a pokemon game because they would also need to scale up the pokemon's movesets and evolutions and the size of trainers' teams which would be a lot of work. doesn't matter if a trainer is scaled up to level 60 if his team is still just a pair of pidgeys that only know tackle and sand attack

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Augus posted:

level scaling would be hard to implement in a pokemon game because they would also need to scale up the pokemon's movesets and evolutions and the size of trainers' teams which would be a lot of work. doesn't matter if a trainer is scaled up to level 60 if his team is still just a pair of pidgeys that only know tackle and sand attack

also tru ... good point. def better they went without it overall, just leads to some easy spots here and there

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just let kids have Pokemon, cause they don't get to play acclaimed titles like Sex with Hitler and Sex with Hitler 3D.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pokémon games are for literal children.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Silver Falcon posted:

I just hit 100 hours and I don't feel like I'm remotely done. Pokemon is soon. Help I'm in trouble. :ohdear:

there's like a 100 hours between now and pokémon, you can do it!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

so are mario games and kirby games what's your point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

MarcusSA posted:

Always have been, actually. This whole framing is stupid, though. There's no reason to assume they took out Set Mode because it was too complicated for kids unless you're an adult who's self conscious about playing "kid games". They probably just took it out because their user data showed nobody was using or something.