Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I hope the third Black Panther movie is set in Ukraine

ukranda forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

also if you’re a Stalinist or Maoist, just do the needful and go the gently caress away

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://twitter.com/nukedwest/status/1591618381148729345

Maoists stay winning

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

Don’t the Scandinavians also hate the Sami? I think they had residential schools and everything. Obviously that’s really informed a lot of the experience with oppression Amber brought to Chapo.

e: This was one of the least horrifying comments on an askreddit thread “are gypsies that bad”

well sort of

i can only speak for norway, but here the eugenicist project was mostly directed at travellers (the aforementioned "tater" populations). you have to remember that most of sápmi is to this day very inhospitable to sedentiary lifestyles, and that state control was correspondingly weak until about the 19th century - settlement of ethnic norwegians was limited mostly to the coastal areas, and public institutions under danish rule were basically limited to military and church (sápmi was the extreme periphery of the periphery of the danish crown holdings). there was a clear anti-sami religious policy, and heavy efforts were made to convert them to lutheran christianity. unfortunately for the norwegian state, this extended to the very strong and vital norwegian lay tradition, which understandably made serious forays into the marginalised sami population and which occasionally turned really violent, especially related to accusations of witchcraft etc. i do not know of any real policy of residential schools along the canadian model - the residential sami schools were initially the ones where you could get a mostly sami-language education, for one thing. from the introduction of universal public schooling in norway, public schools in sápmi were formally integrated (though of course here education was mostly/only in norwegian). as far as i can tell there was a question around the start of the 19th century about whether to send teachers along with the sami travelling populations or to do something along a residential model, and they settled on the residential model. nobody's dug up any corpses yet, though conditions weren't great. as education got modernised and the state grew stronger, norwegianisation became more of a priority, and sami-language education was phased out until fairly recently. i don't know the status of education in sápmi right now, but official policy is that you have the right to education in the few surviving sami languages. there's been lots of pretty ugly politics about this - the largely orthodox skolte-sami populations have been more marginalised than the lay protestant groups, for instance, but this is venturing into a complicated and difficult history which i don't know that much about.

the cornerstones of traditional sami economy - reindeer herding and fishing/coastal farming - are still relevant to this day, to large extent because there really isn't that much else you can *do* with this land. since the seventies - when norway, incidentally, had possibly the strongest maoist movement in europe - the position of the sami has improved by quite a lot, including the introduction of special economic and language rights as well as various subsidies. this has in itself given rise to a fair amount of tension and anti-sami racism remains a widespread phenomenon, especially among the "germanics" of the north, but it's not as violent as a lot of the racism against immigrant groups, and the state really does have an official and pretty serious anti-racist policy on the issue.

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Nov 13, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Yuri Gazmanov had a concert scheduled in Izyum for September 11. Ukrainian forces entered the city on September 10, so the concert got cancelled.

He had a concert scheduled in Kherson for November 13. Ukrainian forces entered the city on November 11, so that concert got cancelled as well.

He has yet another concert scheduled in Moscow for December 13. Just saying.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds great, looking forward to it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1591763215721324544?t=zn28mu7yrXmzy648IoUMIQ&s=19

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
A Wagner group telegram channel posted a video of a former member who had previously surrendered to Ukraine (and made a video denouncing them) being murdered by being hit in the head with a sledgehammer. There have been leaked videos of them committing similar warcrimes in Syria before but this is clearly a planned media release.

Moscow calling posted:

The founder of the PMC "Wagner" Prigozhin commented on the execution of the PMC fighter Evgeny Nuzhin, accused of treason and killed by a hammer.

"I prefer to watch history in the theater. As for the perpetrator, this show shows that he did not find happiness in Ukraine, but met with unkind, but fair people. I think this movie is called "To a Dog, Death by a Dog." It's a great director's work, it's easy to watch in the same breath. I hope no animals were harmed during the filming".

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)
(from t.me/m0sc0wcalling/14396, via tgsa)

Анатолий Несмиян posted:

A recording of the alleged execution of allegedly former Wagner fighter Nuzhin appeared on the network. Allegedly he defected, but was found and brought to the place of execution. He was beaten with a sledgehammer. We can recall a video from Syria, where a Syrian deserter from the Syrian mercenary group (according to other reports - from the Syrian army) was killed in the same way, then his body was beheaded, crucified and burned. All the people involved in that story have long been identified and have not been punished.

If this video is real, and this is indeed the so-called "Retribution Hammer," then the appropriation of the exclusive state function of trial and execution of the sentence is a direct example of the Putin regime's loss of sovereignty.

State functions have been appropriated by a group of private individuals, and the state institutions - all kinds of investigative committees, prosecutors' offices, the FSB, and the Interior Ministry - remain completely silent and unconcerned about the case. It is not a question of personal cowardice, of course, but of the complete disintegration of the entire system of legal protection.

Why do we need 5 million people in the "power structures" if they are unable to solve the problem of the seizure of power by a small criminal group?

It should be understood, by the way, that this process, once begun, will only gain momentum and spread.

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)
:nws: If you click this link you will see a still image from before he is killed. (from t.me/anatoly_nesmiyan/5923, via tgsa)

GlassElephant has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Nov 14, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If the Russians are not willing to fight for it, a large Ukrainian force will get shelled approaching the terrain, shelled probing it, shelled finding a flank held by mailmen or something, and then eventually be allowed in to save lives.

Not in one bound, there are lots of pieces of terrain along the way where Ukraine will be bogged down, shelled and then slowly close up, so it could be months or years, but as long as Ukraine is willing to stomach appalling casualties and Europe and the US provide unlimited free equipment and bankroll the state, there’s no way to really change that within the confines Russia has created for herself.

I don’t think the Russian public is demoralized because as Ardennes did a great job pointing out the whole war (or rather, “not-war”) is constructed around them being tuned out.

e: great posts about Norway and Ireland, thank you. I had no idea about these events.

ee: and as much as Ukraine is doing who knows what, Russia has a moral obligations to its citizens that it reneged apparently because it’s too much trouble. Stalin wept.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Nov 13, 2022

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I don't know how much support Ukraine can expect from Europe at this point.

A hypothetical I've been thinking about: What if the Russians fall back to antebellum positions then reinvade again in the spring? Is the response from the Europeans as dramatic? Do they get the same amount of support from the Americans and British even? Is the Ukrainian military being built up fast enough to make up for this years losses?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Looks like Ukraine is gonna turn Kherson into a military fortress/outpost, no civilians:-

https://twitter.com/rwapodcast/status/1591839587043004417?s=61&t=xlHnFtXvLgabnnBI4kn1uw

https://twitter.com/rwapodcast/status/1591843918530121728?s=61&t=xlHnFtXvLgabnnBI4kn1uw

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zelensky's said that Russia destroyed a lot of critical civilian infrastructure on their way out, so evacuating may not be a choice if that's true.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they haven’t reached Cardinal Directions on the tech tree yet. patience

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Less innocent people getting caught up in this mess seems good to me :shrug:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Less innocent people getting caught up in this mess seems good to me :shrug:

yeah the only thing that's silly about it is when Russia was telling all the civilians to evacuate, Ukraine was telling them not to and accusing Russia of mass deportations because of the evac notices. Strongly implying any civilian who evacuated under Russian control was a collaborator and would be treated accordingly.

so when Russia does it it's a warcrime and no "true Ukrainian" would obey, but when Ukraine does it, they're surely just concerned for civilian well-being

speng31b has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Nov 13, 2022

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Russia is genociding Kherson by performing population transfers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

so just rounding up the russian civilians to prevent them causing trouble on the border. totally not war crimes though, just strategy. i wonder if they will be fairly compensated and resettled somewhere nice

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1591244936032423936

Liberalism.tweet

speng31b
May 8, 2010

can I, um, speak to the manager of this brigade?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

They are SO getting a sub-5-star rating on Yelp.:argh:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

obviously these patches keep ending up on uniforms and on camera by a series of strange accidents, that’s a given, but I’ll tell you what - not a good look when it does accidentally happen.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

proud to announce the $47 billion dollar HEROESSS Act (Helping European Racial Orthodoxy Enthusiasts Stop Showing Swastikas), where qualified, experienced sensitivity trainers from American police departments will teach Ukrainian military members the terrible history of these symbols, and most importantly, learn to not film them so often.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

so just rounding up the russian civilians to prevent them causing trouble on the border. totally not war crimes though, just strategy. i wonder if they will be fairly compensated and resettled somewhere nice

From the point of not making the civilians suffer through a potential a military meat grinder military action it was sensible when russia evacuated civilians and it continues to be sensible when Ukraine does it. No side benefits from a Mariupol 2, electric boogaloo.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
HEROES(SS) act

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

speng31b posted:

Sorry. He shot himself a long time ago.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Organ Fiend posted:

Sorry. He shot himself a long time ago.

I believe he was beaten to death by his guards actually

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
ss patches don't hit the same when attached to big rear end safety helmets

speng31b
May 8, 2010

might put a spoiler about a link that contains a picture of a guy about to be brutally executed. no thanks

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

hopefully most of the russian-speaking civilians already left back when the russian army were evacuating people to the east.

pretty sure there’s still going to be war crimes purges completely legal and justified detainings, but i guess it could be worse

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

So that ss division was the... pedophile rapist division? Jesus

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

NeatHeteroDude posted:

you know they wanted the das reich division but their commander picked the short straw.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if your mad your army is openly wearing nazi symbols maybe take a step back and think about it idk

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

There remains no place in Irish society for Travelling people and without some kind of meaningful effort on behalf of the government there never will be.

this seems like it would be a widespread problem, is there any example of a modern society which has a place for nomads?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

when you want to be the edgelord but all your friends are already wearing SS patches

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Doktor Avalanche posted:

this seems like it would be a widespread problem, is there any example of a modern society which has a place for nomads?

Not really, and that's a problem with modern societies. Nomadic people can't be easily taxed or conscripted, which why every Western country engaged in genocide against their local nomads. I think there might be some North African countries that have special protections for the desert nomads.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

van/camper/rv life is a thing in the USA

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

So Ireland didn't really industrialise in the typical european fashion, it industrialised as a colony, unlike our neighbours which were all nation states. So Industrialisation took place in Dublin, Belfast and Cork. All coastal port towns, Belfast had harland and Wolfe and the linen industry, Dublin mostly did food processing on an industrial scale, biscuits, glass bottles that sort of thing. There were steel works but it was on a more artisan scale. You'll still see the odd steel plate on the streets that was cast in a Dublin foundry before my parents were born. Theres no coal or steel in Ireland, so heavy industry was never really an option outside of Dublin and Belfast. You can bring materials into the port for production and manufacturing but otherwise they have to take a train somewhere so all those industries were centred in the port cities because the manufactured goods were for export.

When the Free State was formed the trade terms that allowed heavy industry in the free state locations went away. TW for Train enthusiasts: we took up a phenomenal amount of track as what industry we did have contracted into a more sustainable form or went away entirely. Ireland essentially de-industialized from what it had upon creation of the free state which led to all kinds of boring history on De Valeras "dreary Eden" as Ireland became inward looking and "self sufficient". Outside of heavy industry Dublin city centre was basically a large red light district and sex work was the largest employer of working class irish women. This is changed by the Legion of Mary, a group of people as scary as that name might suggest.

Meanwhile agriculture and agrarian concerns are where all of the money and power were then, and are in the modern era. Ireland continued to ship large amounts of food out of the country

Imo, the famines of the 1840s destroyed the character of the irish countryside. The land movements of the late 19th century have an entirely different character to the one they might have had, but the poor and the dispossessed were already dead or displaced by the time they came along. Its worth noting that civil unrest had always been on a simmer coming out of the 18th century, this led to, in order; Wolfe Tones 1798 Rebellion, the Act of union 1800, the dissolution of Irish parliament 1801, the gradual repeal of the penal laws, growing agrarian violence, the emancipation of catholics and then the Famines of the 1840s. It is after this time period that the nation state and an irish republic starts to get talked about and its these people that we recognise from late 19th century politics, into the 20th century and the present day. De Valeras grandson is still in the Dáil for example.

Suffice it to say the Irish eventually got the land, and then immediately set about replicating the british social order absent new lords and ladies.

Returning to the point though, industrial relations at the time would have gone something like this. the Foundry is owned by an aristocrat, a lord dunsany lets say. Lord Dunsany employs a middle class agent to setup the foundry. Skill labour in the foundry and management are all middle class. Working class people do the backbreaking everyday labour in the foundry, travellers would work with the working class guys to bring materials and so on to the foundry. So its the bourgeois, the petty bourgeois, the proletariat and the lumpenproletariat in order. Thats essentially as that would be in the present day, except the travellers, the lumpenproles are no where to be seen in the modern equivalent of this equation. They have been pushed out by both changing society and changing technology. With no one to champion their class interests they are left out in the cold.

My point being the revolution provided no change in the system, just who benefited from the system. Ireland in the present day is a post industrial, agrarian export economy with small amounts of high end manufacturing and lots of computer touching. Rip twitter. That manufacturing is pharma and food. A lot of the whey products you see on the shelf are Glanbia, as is Kerry Gold butter, we make a lot of generic pharma, the infamous horse paste ivermectin was developed in Ireland.

The people who benefit from the current and future irish economy are the same people that always had and always will. There remains no place in Irish society for Travelling people and without some kind of meaningful effort on behalf of the government there never will be.

Zodium posted:

very interesting, thanks for writing this up.

Seconded, thanks

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Best Friends posted:

proud to announce the $47 billion dollar HEROESSS Act (Helping European Racial Orthodoxy Enthusiasts Stop Showing Swastikas), where qualified, experienced sensitivity trainers from American police departments will teach Ukrainian military members the terrible history of these symbols, and most importantly, learn to not film them so often.

lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

van/camper/rv life is a thing in the USA

and typically pretty ostracized and pushed to the fringes, unless you mean the boogie computer toucher van life stuff

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think also agricultural workers frequently move a lot for work but that is different from traditional nomadism.

e: This claims 1/4 of people in Mongolia live a nomadic lifestyle.

https://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/counting-uncounted-how-mongolian-nomadic-survey-leaving-no-one-behind

Weka has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Nov 13, 2022