Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You can be dismissive about people openly proclaiming their Nazi sentiments, but as someone whose ethnicity would be wiped out by that ideology, I'm going to comfortably keep calling it out when I see it. If that gets me ridiculed by you, so be it.

I’m Jewish, at least through heritage if not actually religious. My wife’s family literally fled the pogroms. I also remember being a young dumb enlisted male in a combat zone.

Until there is an action that is actually indicative of intent to follow up on that piece of cloth I’m not going to lose sleep over it. From my point of view the Ukrainian forces are fighting the good fight against totalitarian extremism and racism and so ACTIONS >>> words.

At this point it’s like getting pissed off at Pvt Jokers piece symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t know why this poo poo turns into a 40 post derail every time. gently caress whatever rando wears some dumb Nazi patch on purpose. I’ve known plenty of American morons who would do the same. If he didn’t know it was a Nazi thing I hope he throws it away when he finds out. What else really needs to be said?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's an internet thing, people need to demonstrate that they are the Most Correct, and explain in excruciating detail why a thing is bad (and by implication, that you are bad for not sharing their viewpoint 100%)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Who keeps track of all of these obscure as gently caress Nazi patches? Why should some Ukrainian kid in a warzone know what unit wore crossed grenades 75 years ago?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The X-man cometh posted:

Who keeps track of all of these obscure as gently caress Nazi patches? Why should some Ukrainian kid in a warzone know what unit wore crossed grenades 75 years ago?

Antifa

Also nazis and war historians

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 12, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

Nazis are bad
Wearing Nazi stuff is dumb
Let’s move on to another topic now

Nothing about this was hard to parse.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

The X-man cometh posted:

A lot of nazis know a lot about nazi symbology. When the stage of cpac 2021 was set up as an othala/odal rune, you better believe a lot of nazis picked up on it, and it's meaning.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Let's talk about the actually war

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1591488510804262912

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why are we talking about this in the milhist thread?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gently caress, I had the milhist thread tab next to this one and misclicked

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c
I feel this has a lot to do with Ukraine's history during WW2. We all agree that the Nazis were objectively baddies, but Ukrainians seeing them during the initial stages of Barbarossa/during the invasion, they saw them as liberators having initially preferred them over the Soviet Union.

You got to remember, that Ukraine just experienced the Holodomor during the early 30's so that was still fresh in the millions of Ukrainians that saw the panzers rolling past their villages in 1941. Of course Ukraine suffered just the same under Nazi rule as did the Soviets lorded over them and post-war they were right back in the USSR.

Now FFWD to Ukraine today where they're seeing Russians returning to their country in force after enjoying a few decades of being by themselves as an independent country, I don't feel too surprised to see few Ukrainian Soldiers wearing Nazi paraphernalia/patches while fighting against the Russians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

What's the name of that thread. Would like to check it out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CabooseRvB posted:

I feel this has a lot to do with Ukraine's history during WW2. We all agree that the Nazis were objectively baddies, but Ukrainians seeing them during the initial stages of Barbarossa/during the invasion, they saw them as liberators having initially preferred them over the Soviet Union.

You got to remember, that Ukraine just experienced the Holodomor during the early 30's so that was still fresh in the millions of Ukrainians that saw the panzers rolling past their villages in 1941. Of course Ukraine suffered just the same under Nazi rule as did the Soviets lorded over them and post-war they were right back in the USSR.

Now FFWD to Ukraine today where they're seeing Russians returning to their country in force after enjoying a few decades of being by themselves as an independent country, I don't feel too surprised to see few Ukrainian Soldiers wearing Nazi paraphernalia/patches while fighting against the Russians.

Are you loving kidding me?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the name of that thread. Would like to check it out.

It's just called the milhist thread. It's usually near the top of ask tell

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Flesnolk posted:

lol

Why are you talking about Ukraine in the Sonic inflation thread?

oh poo poo

I mean the same could be said of the colonel himself so

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Alan Smithee posted:

lol

Why are you talking about Ukraine in the Sonic inflation thread?

oh poo poo

I mean the same could be said of the colonel himself so

False, at current prices a Russian colonel (est. 80kg) is only worth a single $170,000 GMLRS. At $56/gram for gold, that means that a Russian colonel is only worth 3035 grams of gold. in short a russian colonel is only worth about 1/26th of his weight in gold.

And that's only if you can find someone to pay it: the going rate for information leading to cashing in a Russian colonel for his value in GMLRS is much, much lower.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

False, at current prices a Russian colonel (est. 80kg) is only worth a single $170,000 GMLRS. At $56/gram for gold, that means that a Russian colonel is only worth 3035 grams of gold. in short a russian colonel is only worth about 1/26th of his weight in gold.

And that's only if you can find someone to pay it: the going rate for information leading to cashing in a Russian colonel for his value in GMLRS is much, much lower.

to be fair have you seen the size of russian colonels? At pennies on the dollar you're still getting a fuckload of pennies

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
is Banksy Ukrainian? Why is he tagging rubble?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Banksy goes everywhere

he did some "we should improve society somewhat" thing in Palestine

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alan Smithee posted:

Banksy goes everywhere

he did some "we should improve society somewhat" thing in Palestine

This was hilarious because the usual suspects in the west cheered him on for being brave for doing his spraypaint bullshit on the border wall, while the Palestinians weren't impressed at all, because they want the drat wall blown up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

to be fair have you seen the size of russian colonels? At pennies on the dollar you're still getting a fuckload of pennies

lmao i knew 80kg was lowballing it, too

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

gently caress, I love y'all.

Got a Russian Polkovnik right here. Best $10 I ever spent.

She sleeps 20 hrs a day, eats and drinks for free, and runs away from any possible conflict at the first opportunity.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
That one looks like it very well is worth its weight in gold :3:

In other news: hug harvest appears to have been fruitful in Ukraine this year, they're giving them away like they grow on trees. even journalists are getting swamped

Also footage of wrecked russian equipment from Kherson region is starting to make it out and we should have a decent picture of that probably in 2-3 days.

E:
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1591473124188782593

also lol @ that patch

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 13, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

McNally posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

but hey, this seems like a good opportunity to mention that the excellent yale open ukrainian history course has gotten through the 1930s-1960s in the last few weeks, so if you want the more complicated messy version of the historical era everyone loves to fixate on, it's right there!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

also lol @ that patch

Oh now you've done it.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

also lol @ that patch

What does the first half say?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Loezi posted:

What does the first half say?

зсу (zsu) which is the acronym of armed forces of ukraine

just a hilarious thing to literally make history in, gonna be great when he has to show his kids his war-time pictures some day lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

VSOKUL girl posted:

but hey, this seems like a good opportunity to mention that the excellent yale open ukrainian history course has gotten through the 1930s-1960s in the last few weeks, so if you want the more complicated messy version of the historical era everyone loves to fixate on, it's right there!

I've just found my podcast for my upcoming drive down to Florida for the Artemis 1 launch. Thanks!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Z’d up and copiumed out early model, un-upgraded T-62:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefense/comments/ytnmzv/russia_is_now_using_base_model_t62_from_1961/

You could probably crack the side armor on this with modern .50 cal AP rounds.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Z’d up and copiumed out early model, un-upgraded T-62:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefense/comments/ytnmzv/russia_is_now_using_base_model_t62_from_1961/

You could probably crack the side armor on this with modern .50 cal AP rounds.

There are a squadron of A-10 pilots somewhere who need to see their doctors due to a 4 hour erection.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

poo poo's been going down hill for russia so fast I now even question the idea that the GAU-8 couldn't mission kill even the most modern tank russia is still operating.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ukraine has Su-25 aircraft - I'm surprised we haven't seen video of gun runs against Russian armor. Maybe artillery and guided munitions have made using the 30mm an unnecessary risk?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

CainFortea posted:

poo poo's been going down hill for russia so fast I now even question the idea that the GAU-8 couldn't mission kill even the most modern tank russia is still operating.

GAU-8 absolutely can kill almost every tank that anyone is using. It just has to risk the platform a lot more for less chance of a kill than if you are shooting hellfires or SDBs or something.

MBTs do not have a lot of side or rear armor. GAU-8 can shoot right through the rear hull sides or the back of a M1, let alone anything less modern. And GAU-8 was never able to shoot through the front armor of any tank it was expected to face, it'll bounce right off that T-62 if you try to shoot at it from the front. So in that way, there is little difference whether you are shooting at a M1 or a T-62. This is an almost-universal design tradeoff of the MBT: you sacrifice protection from other directions in order to provide maximum protection from frontal arcs. I'm not sure but I think some Merkavas are the only exception, in that they are heavily armored from at least sides and maybe rear too, but they are made for different kind of fighting than most other MBTs.

BRRRRT is not obsolete because BRRRRRT can't kill tanks. If the plane is not being shot at, it is still pretty near as good at killing tanks than it's ever been. The problem it faces is that proliferated radar-guided light AAA and missile AA means that even if something going low and relatively slow gets a single attack run, they for sure aren't getting a second.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wombot posted:

Ukraine has Su-25 aircraft - I'm surprised we haven't seen video of gun runs against Russian armor. Maybe artillery and guided munitions have made using the 30mm an unnecessary risk?

both sides are packing loads of anti aircraft missiles, gun runs would be suicide. thats also why they're both using helicopters as lovely mlrs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tuna-Fish posted:

GAU-8 absolutely can kill almost every tank that anyone is using. It just has to risk the platform a lot more for less chance of a kill than if you are shooting hellfires or SDBs or something.

MBTs do not have a lot of side or rear armor. GAU-8 can shoot right through the rear hull sides or the back of a M1, let alone anything less modern. And GAU-8 was never able to shoot through the front armor of any tank it was expected to face, it'll bounce right off that T-62 if you try to shoot at it from the front. So in that way, there is little difference whether you are shooting at a M1 or a T-62. This is an almost-universal design tradeoff of the MBT: you sacrifice protection from other directions in order to provide maximum protection from frontal arcs. I'm not sure but I think some Merkavas are the only exception, in that they are heavily armored from at least sides and maybe rear too, but they are made for different kind of fighting than most other MBTs.

BRRRRT is not obsolete because BRRRRRT can't kill tanks. If the plane is not being shot at, it is still pretty near as good at killing tanks than it's ever been. The problem it faces is that proliferated radar-guided light AAA and missile AA means that even if something going low and relatively slow gets a single attack run, they for sure aren't getting a second.

Rule of cool should apply :(

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Tuna-Fish posted:

I am sure the experience of going through the sounds and violent shaking of being in a Russian tank taking GAU-8 rounds off the front armor would compel me to surrendering anyways

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

both sides are packing loads of anti aircraft missiles, gun runs would be suicide. thats also why they're both using helicopters as lovely mlrs

And they've both been losing SU-25s left and right:

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2022/11/01/has-the-ukraine-war-killed-off-the-ground-attack-aircraft

quote:

Old-fashioned airpower has kept a low profile in the conflict in Ukraine, eclipsed by the kamikaze drones and cruise missiles used by both sides. When the Russian air force appeared to step up its activity inside Ukrainian airspace in September, its losses increased sharply. Close-air support (cas) aircraft have fared particularly badly, raising questions about the future of these planes and the prospect of sending similar American jets to Ukraine.

cas aircraft support ground troops and fire upon battlefield targets as they appear, rather than carrying out pre-planned bombing raids. Russia’s Su-25 Frogfoot, for example, is designed to fly low and slow, striking ground targets with cannons, rockets and missiles. It is a direct successor to the Soviet Union’s armoured Ilyushin II-2 Shturmovik, which devastated German Panzer units in the second world war.

Flying so close to the enemy puts cas aircraft in harm’s way, requiring special protection. The Su-25 is armoured along its belly and sides and carries flares to act as decoys for heat-seeking missiles. In recent months Su-25 pilots, and Ukrainian helicopter pilots, have taken to “lofting” rockets, lobbing them blindly at targets from long range, to avoid exposure to enemy fire. Even so, casualties have been heavy. The biggest danger for the Russian cas aircraft seems to be small, shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles such as the American-supplied Stinger, which are now increasingly common.

Before the war began Russia reportedly had a fleet of 192 Su-25s. According to Oryx, a Dutch team of independent analysts tracking verified Russian losses, the air force has lost at least 23 Su-25s so far—over one-third of all Russia’s combat aircraft casualties. Unverified reports suggest there are more. Ukrainian sources claim that at least 15 additional Su-25s were shot down in September and October.

The rate of losses suggests cas aircraft might have had their day. This is bad news for fans of America’s A-10 Thunderbolt II, better known as the Warthog, an iconic jet which has a curiously vocal following. A more extreme cas machine than the Su-25, the armoured Warthog has been called a giant Gatling gun with wings. An internet meme (“brrrt”) is based on the sound of its tank-busting cannon spitting out 65 rounds per second.

The war in Ukraine had looked like the ideal showcase for the Warthog, with many calls to transfer some of America’s fleet to support the Ukrainian forces. Alexander Gorgan, a Ukrainian businessman, infantry officer and Warthog enthusiast, even set up a training facility on the outskirts of Kyiv for Ukrainian pilots to learn to fly the aircraft.

But many analysts, and the US Air Force, remain deeply sceptical that Warthogs could survive against advanced anti-aircraft defences. For years the US Air Force has attempted to retire the Warthog fleet. America has so far declined to send jets of any type to Ukraine, in part for fear of escalation. An adviser to Ukraine’s minister of defence made it clear that they would prefer F-16s, a multi-role combat jet, to Warthogs. These can be used for air-to-air combat and intercepting drones and cruise missiles, as well as strike missions.

The heavy casualties among Russian ground-attack aircraft may end the argument. Increasingly, air strikes can only be safely carried out from long range, and the days of aircraft flying overhead to shoot targets on the ground from close range seem to be over—at least on battlefields where both sides have copious air defence systems. Modern guided weapons may not yet have eliminated ground tanks, but the flying tank is on its way out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Don't think a whole lot of tanks have enough top armor to stop armor piercing 30mm either, even from A-10 shallow attack dive angles.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What does the coloring book have to say about all of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

A.o.D. posted:

What does the coloring book have to say about all of this?

We dont know. We can't connect the dots. Shockingly, the army ate all the crayons this time.