Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My favorite part was Sarah finding out about the smell, having to hide her knowledge from Munya, and then miming how it happened to Alex.

Actually they should make more no talking team challenges. The whole task was made way more fun because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

thehustler posted:

I absolutely lost my poo poo at the feather task. Dara just waving his hands when John picks up the cushion and he thinks he's going to leave the lab with it. Fantastic.

And then when Dara went looking for plates, he tried doing it again anyways, but failed before Dara could find out. I think the dynamic of something happening with part of the team while one team member isn't there is naturally funny enough that they could try building a task out of it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I think Fern brady might be an all time top contestant,alongside ed gamble,david baddiel,bob mortimer and sally phillips.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Heavy_D posted:

I do feel for Munya, but at the same time it's so funny watching him be the bad boy...

https://i.imgur.com/eTdYXmI.mp4

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

top contestant david baddiel

:raise:

To each their own I guess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

itry posted:

:raise:

To each their own I guess.

Yeah that's a head scratcher. To me he was the least entertaining person across the whole show.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Telling me this isn’t a classic?

https://youtu.be/lVfktXzuHgo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's all Ed Gamble turning trash into gold. Perhaps the top contestant is one Ed Baddiel?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

David Baddiel holds the honor of making the only segment I have never been able to watch the whole way through: that chickpea divinity whatever thing he did. It's so long and so cringy I just can't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would you have preferred either of his other ideas?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Ok worst contestants

Everyone in season 6

Daisy may cooper (horrible,and ruined never mind the buzzcocks for me)

Jamali maddix(boring,not funny just smirks at his own poo poo jokes,also sucks on nmtb)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jamali was great, and pioneered a new type of contestant: bad at tasks but managing to maintain respect nonetheless.

I'd like to think Daisy would be more fun if not paired with Richard Herring. That was perhaps the most visibly antagonistic relationship yet.

Worst contestants in my book are the ones who are just ok, but don't really stand out. Joe Lycett, Joe Thomas, Iain Stirling...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Joe Lycett, Joe Thomas, Iain Stirling...

I thought all three of them were great, particularly Joe Lycett. "gently caress charity!" has never left my brain.

Now that I'm John Kearns-pilled, the only contestant I don't care for is Dave Gorman, who would be totally anonymous were it not for the cheating.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Al Murray... was in Taskmaster? I do not remember that man at all.

Paul Sinha I do remember, but in the sense that I remember he exists.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rochallor posted:

I thought all three of them were great, particularly Joe Lycett. "gently caress charity!" has never left my brain.

Relevant:
https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1591767179707432960?t=dWFKs0p42BeFGY2YTN8Jxg&s=19

(I hope he doesn't do the thing he says, that would be dumb).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Daisy May Cooper, Liza Tarbuck, and Baddiel all sucked the fun out of the room. Ed Gamble raging was the only way any segment with Baddiel was entertaining.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't really hate anyone. At worst I can call some of them very forgettable, but none made the show not enjoyable. That goes even for the contestants whom I normally find grating outside of Taskmaster.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Lycett grabbing that post-task bite of chocolate only for it to cost him the victory is an all-time plot twist.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The only season I'd mostly write off would be 8. The only redeeming part of it is that it's Taskmaster. Paul Sinha is terrible in an unfunny way (though he was injured and had Parkinsons, which just makes him sad to watch sometimes). Then you had the 2 brats. Then round it out with 2 background people who would be fine filler in a normal season where they just allow more time for the more interesting contestants, which is the beauty of Taskmaster and why I don't tend to mind the less interesting people, but in 8 there's nothing to distract from them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Season 8 is the nadir. A weak line-up, covid badly affecting the filming and a whole bunch of badly conceived tasks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Season 8 is the nadir. A weak line-up, covid badly affecting the filming and a whole bunch of badly conceived tasks.

Season 10 is the first covid one.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Season 8 came out in July 2019 so they probably weren't badly affected by Covid. Season 10 was the first one filmed under covid restrictions, both are probably in contention for the weakest seasons in my opinion.

Season 8 I just didn't find massively funny or memorable although the trainyard task remains the one I'd really love to give a go in real life.

Season 10 I thought the lineup was good on paper, just the tasks and sheer happenstance combined made it a relatively weak series which is just the nature of the show. Mawaan Rizwan and Johnny Vegas were both entertaining though.

Weirdly I find season 9 quite weak as well, I know that's a relatively well liked one but for me only Rose Matafeo stands out in that one, Ed Gamble is fine and does a decent job as the host of the podcast but in the show I found him grating and obviously you had Jo Brand and Baddiel being pretty crap in the classic "I can't be arsed" way and only sometimes was it funny.

All the seasons since then have been straight bangers though of course. I think Season 11 is my favourite of the ones since the move to channel 4, I hadn't been exposed to Mike Wozniak at all prior to that and it was a revelation.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I still think about mike and his piles.

“It’s an absolute casserole down there”.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

I still think about mike and his piles.

“It’s an absolute casserole down there”.

That sentence will haunt me till I die.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Covid was first a thing at the end of December 2019…

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Trig Discipline posted:

That sentence will haunt me till I die.

Honestly how the gently caress does anyone have that much trouble farting?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The_Doctor posted:

That was meant to say 10, I was disputing Phigs' suggestion that 8 was the worst. And for some reason wrote 8.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I like 10 but I'll agree it has some pretty low points and some really dragged out tasks. And I agree 9 is pretty weak, doubling up on the don't give a gently caress old person archtype wasn't great. On reflection I think some of the worst seasons, just above 8 for me and roughly around 6, are 1-3 because you really miss those additional episodes we get now.

My top seasons are 5, 11, and 14 (already).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
10's biggest problem is with the tasks, I don't think the contestants or the covid restrictions were the problem with it, especially because they resulted in Johnny Vegas, when told to make a noise, immediately going "I am not a crook!" The specific issue I think is that they happened to pair a very difficult series of tasks with maybe the most incompetent lineup (although, series 5 maybe beats them).

9 is pretty good, I think Jo Brand is remembered as being a little lazier than she ends up being, which makes it even better when she decided to take a piss in the middle of a task. And David Baddiel does a great job of undermining his own politics by revealing himself to be a complete idiot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phigs posted:

I like 10 but I'll agree it has some pretty low points and some really dragged out tasks. And I agree 9 is pretty weak, doubling up on the don't give a gently caress old person archtype wasn't great. On reflection I think some of the worst seasons, just above 8 for me and roughly around 6, are 1-3 because you really miss those additional episodes we get now.

My top seasons are 5, 11, and 14 (already).

My top seasons are 5 (mainly because of Nish), 7 (Rhod Gilbert is a force of evil), and 13 (Bridgit Christie's weirdness narrowly edges out Wozniak)...and of course, TMNZ 2...

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ok worst contestants

Everyone in season 6

Daisy may cooper (horrible,and ruined never mind the buzzcocks for me)

Jamali maddix(boring,not funny just smirks at his own poo poo jokes,also sucks on nmtb)

I think I'm one of the few people who liked Daisy. Richard Herring sucked and was the most disappointing winner. He's such a try hard and is so loving needy. I gave up on listening his leicester square podcast because of it.

Other than Herring I think my least favorite was Jo Brand. I just didnt enjoy her 0 effort game and would have even taken Herring over her.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
russell howard and munya are the only ones i can't stand because they're unfunny tryhards. paul sinha just made me feel bad, and watching baddiel fail was good.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My top seasons are 4,5,9,and 12. And NZ 2. 7 was funny but too openly antagonistic to be in the top 5.

E: I really enjoyed Jo Brand though.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 14, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

7 and NZ 2 for me. In both cases the show just becomes summer camp by the end of it. The cast is just gelling in a really beautiful way. Knappet and Wang are delightful forces of chaos, Acastar is competitive and aggressive in a school kid way that just conflicts with Greg perfectly, Mel is taking it seriously but is still fun, and Rhod is loving hysterical with his open negging of Greg. The task where he records Greg overnight from his closet is perhaps the boldest prize ever shown. Or when he steals his pants. Just incredible stuff.

13 was the only one I feel like I've seen that got to about that point, where the cast was clearly having a hoot by the end of it. The only raincloud on that series is that Judi Love is clearly being affected towards the end that she never gets a sustained victory. They lay it surprisingly thick on her despite the fact that it's bothering her in a way that's just kind of a bummer to watch. Pointing out and laughing that she could have won an episode if she had done the final task properly just felt kind of cruel. Particularly cause she is fun as hell to watch regardless.

NZ 2, woof. Can't be enough praise on the season.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

7 would have gotten into my top list on a 1st watch. But I rewatch these all the time and it doesn't hold up as well for me as my favorites. Just a little too aggro and the shock value naturally fades on the rewatch. Phil's haggling gag makes me want to die now. Still high up there tho.

And yeah TMNZ 2 is amazing. I'll have to watch it a bit more to see if it hangs with my favorites though.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

DurosKlav posted:

I think I'm one of the few people who liked Daisy. Richard Herring sucked and was the most disappointing winner. He's such a try hard and is so loving needy. I gave up on listening his leicester square podcast because of it.

Other than Herring I think my least favorite was Jo Brand. I just didnt enjoy her 0 effort game and would have even taken Herring over her.

Oh hey, fellow Daisy enjoyer! I liked her too and I was surprised to discover a lot of people didn't. Also for some reason I really liked Liza Tarbuck, even though in this case I'm not surprised to be in the minority. On the other hand, while I enjoy Jo Brand in other media, I was very disappointed by her in Taskmaster - I think her aggressive "I don't give a gently caress about this poo poo" attitude got tired very quickly and isn't a great shtick for this show.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Bemused Observer posted:

Oh hey, fellow Daisy enjoyer! I liked her too and I was surprised to discover a lot of people didn't. Also for some reason I really liked Liza Tarbuck, even though in this case I'm not surprised to be in the minority. On the other hand, while I enjoy Jo Brand in other media, I was very disappointed by her in Taskmaster - I think her aggressive "I don't give a gently caress about this poo poo" attitude got tired very quickly and isn't a great shtick for this show.

Ya her, Herring and Badeil are really the only 3 contestants out of all the seasons I've truly disliked. I even enjoyed Katherine Ryan although normally I cannot stand her.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
For someone who loved Taskmaster so much and had been dying to be on it for years, Richard Herring was surprisingly dull to watch.

I actually don’t mind Daisy so much on the current series of NMTB, but it might just be because it’s been the most fun series since the peak Simon Amstell years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Creature posted:

For someone who loved Taskmaster so much and had been dying to be on it for years, Richard Herring was surprisingly dull to watch.

The problem is that he genuinely wanted to win and didn't particularly care about being entertaining. Usually the more competitive contestants make a bit of a joke out of it, but he dreamed of winning Taskmaster since he was a little boy and wanted to take the silly comedy show seriously.

He's also just not great in a group setting. He's made for one-on-one stand up/streaming or bouncing off an individual.