Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Remember this Devils fans?

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1591810540078526465?t=rCBjlJtdOrJmOjC2AKCkOA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Remember this Devils fans?

That lineup is every single one the Canucks have rolled out for a decade and we will definitely never escape

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tage scored a shortie last night and the Sabres played really well, but they still lost to the Bruins last night :negative: it wouldn’t hurt as bad if they had beaten Arizona on Tuesday. Now they’ve lost five in a row.

People on Twitter are saying it’s like a weird inversion of the 10-game win streak from 2018, where they are playing well for the most part but losing anyway. As opposed to mostly playing like poo poo but winning anyway, ten times in a row lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

How far away is he from making it to the NHL? Can't be long, surely?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy getting up and leaving at 12 seconds is perfect.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tarbrush posted:

How far away is he from making it to the NHL? Can't be long, surely?

They wanted to give him a year to work on his transition to the north American game. He's doing okay last I checked, but he still doesn't have a regulation win and has a 3.47gaa and .878% sv% (before that game). So if someone gets hurt in Minnesota I'd still expect Zane McIntyre to get called up first. No one seems worried about how he's progressing though, so it's a good sign for the future.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
https://twitter.com/PerryEnyedi/status/1591823960030822402

The habs are rolling out a reverse retro mascot for some reason... Which is fine I guess, but they went with a Expos themed jersey and the already have Youppi as their mascot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The habs are rolling out a reverse retro mascot for some reason... Which is fine I guess, but they went with a Expos themed jersey and the already have Youppi as their mascot.

That looks like an AI generated muppet furry hybrid.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just post it!! :cmon:

It was time to sleep. Anyways I just wrote a bunch of :words: but deleted them again..and again....and now a 3rd time. In very un-Rex fashion it's going to be real short and sweet.

- The goaltending, and by that I mean mostly Jarry specifically, has not been nearly good enough.
- The PK has been really bad.
- Despite what Eric says the Pens are still a very good to excellent defensive team in chance suppression and specifically high danger chance suppression. Geno has outperformed Sid in every real or imagined category involving chance creation or suppression so far this year.
- Rutta is paid 2.75 million dollars a year to play less than 15 minutes a night and be worse than Chad Ruhwedel in every way possible.
- Jeff Petry is a downgrade on John Marino and does not solve any of the 2nd pairing issues the Penguins had previously. He also costs significantly more.
- Letang and Dumo might have both hit the wall.
- Carter really really sucks and can not play in the role that Sullivan is asking him to. The 4th line isn't much better at it either.
- No one on the back end is capable of carrying the puck with speed through the neutral zone. Additionally, the breakout requires 4 perfect tape to tape to tape to tape passes to execute. Any fumbles, hops, or disruptions lead to the Pens being hemmed into their own zone for the next 5 minutes.
- Kasperi Kapanen was rewarded with his 2nd worst season in the NHL with 2 more years and 6.4 million dollars to play less than than 12:30 a night with scratches in 2 of the last 3 games and less than 8 minutes of total ice time last night.

In general the team is very very dysfunctional and goes long stretches of playing very very poor hockey. I think it unlikely Hextall does anything substantial to address the issues. I'm not sure I trust he and Burke to correctly identify and address them anyways.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

- Kasperi Kapanen was rewarded with his 2nd worst season in the NHL with 2 more years and 6.4 million dollars to play less than than 12:30 a night with scratches in 2 of the last 3 games and less than 8 minutes of total ice time last night.

dang, i had no idea it's already at the point of healthy scratching him

There is almost definitely going to be a trade or buyout by the end of the season.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

It was time to sleep. Anyways I just wrote a bunch of :words: but deleted them again..and again....and now a 3rd time. In very un-Rex fashion it's going to be real short and sweet.

Mods, institute a rule requiring Rex to post a minimum of 8 paragraphs for every analysis post.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Carver posted:

dang, i had no idea it's already at the point of healthy scratching him

There is almost definitely going to be a trade or buyout by the end of the season.

It was at the point of healthy scratching him two years ago, people are just really really loath to admit they're wrong about a guy.

IMO the strategy of "our team is old as hell, let's get even older!" particularly with unloading Marino in favor of Petry just reeks of Burke making the decisions and/or Sullivan being obsessed with veterans and getting more pull in terms of who's on the roster.

Sullivan has been a great coach for the Pens and I've been his #1 booster on here. But he seems to really hate young players even by NHL coach standards and not understand that a stable of good young players is why he won the two Cups, and as the team careens through the guardrail and into Too Old Gorge I'm reluctantly willing to consider the possibility that the league has finally caught up to him tactically and if he doesn't come up with new tactical ideas then his infatuation with old vets may mark the end of his being a Good Coach.

Team still works hard almost every shift though and that has value. The Pens have had stretches of really awful results and bounced back and ripped off hot streaks before under Sullivan so it's not quite time to write the eulogy yet.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 13, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

In general the team is very very dysfunctional and goes long stretches of playing very very poor hockey. I think it unlikely Hextall does anything substantial to address the issues. I'm not sure I trust he and Burke to correctly identify and address them anyways.

I think the saving grace for the Pens is their 5v5 analytics continue to be pretty strong overall. Bad special teams and bad goaltending is really hurting them so far this year.

If they can maintain the 5v5 play I'd like to think the special teams and goaltending will come around somewhat. I don't think this is a team that's going to do anything in the playoffs but I still think they're capable of getting there. So...pretty much the Pens of the past five years.

e: I will say Sullivan should gently caress with the lines more, even if it means trying unconventional combinations. He's way too married to GCR for example. And as much as Kapanen sucks at the moment, maybe he would do more if given different linemates.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 13, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Kapanen has played with nearly every player on the roster. He's been given chances with Zucker and Malkin. He's been given chances with Carter and Heinen. He was hard carried last year by Heinen and Rodrigues. He's played with Sid for a very very very short time where it was clearly evident in 3 shifts that he can not process the NHL level game. Last year Kapanen had nearly 1000 minutes of 5v5 time. Did you know he spent almost 10% of it with Crosby? No? I actually didn't either. It's higher than I thought. You'll be shocked to know he wasn't very good. In fact the only linemates Kasper played with last year that 'worked' were E Rod and Heinen. You go back to 2020/2021 and shock horror despite that hot streak and 'really looking like a top 6 player' it turns out it was variance and insane on ice finishing at a completely unsustainable level. He also played with 11 players for more than 20 minutes of ice time. Last year Kapanen played with 14 linemates for more than 20 minutes of ice time.

It does not matter who you stick him with. He is incapable of playing a high level NHL game. Sullivan is scratching him because even when he plays Kapanen as a 3rd or 4th liner he's awful at getting zone exits. For a player with so much alleged speed (he doesn't) he so very very rarely is able to make use of it. This is because, as I've said many times before, Kapanen is only capable of doing 1 thing at a time and that's topped off with him taking about 7 to 8 strides to hit that top speed. His acceleration/burst is so so so so so so sooooooo soooooooooooooooo bad. So bad.

The 5v5 analytics look better than they actually are. It's massively buoyed by play from behind/score effects efforts or the Tampa/Arizona game. Look at them on a period by period basis. It's crazy. Also I'm pretty sure the Pens have blown almost as many leads as Vancouver at this point. Not multi-goal obv although they're probably not too far behind in that category either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

And as much as Kapanen sucks at the moment, maybe he would do more if given different linemates.

Even I have difficulty believing this one. I paid attention to Kapanen when the Pens were in Seattle and he came on for a line change once and stood there 15’ from his bench in the neutral zone and did nothing while the puck was in his D zone. And then the whistle went 10s later. He then skated back to the bench. Just stood there and wasn’t even looking for a pass or to get moving in a breakout.

Blew my mind that a player would just stand still like a Mite who’s staring at the puck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Oh I agree that Kapanen sucks. But if they're going to insist on playing him, they might as well try him different places and see if something works. I feel the same way about Dumoulin. I know both of these players will consistently be in the lineup, so I'd like them to be maximized...if possible. It might not be possible.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/_TyAnderson/status/1591921607966355457
White sweaters vs. white sweaters. Great for keeping track of who is who in a fast-paced game. They're not THAT similar, but still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just need the two guys that forgot their jersey, so one hits the ice wearing yellow and the other red. And they're on different teams.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

White sweaters vs. white sweaters. Great for keeping track of who is who in a fast-paced game. They're not THAT similar, but still.

Only solution: shirts versus skins.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1591928409281761280?s=20&t=BMHirsh-gf69XVlLT8Y9FA
man it would be very funny if the devils are a mirage and suck again by the end of the season and people start tossing these onto the ice

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^ I think its less if and more when. I doubt they regress as hard as Buffalo but I wouldnt be shocked to see them entering the playoffs as a wild card team.

fermun posted:

Canucks will be the white sweater team spending the whole game in their own end. Easy peasy.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 14, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone botched the schedule and the Bruins changed to their normal home jerseys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Someone botched the schedule and the Bruins changed to their normal home jerseys.

This disappointed me to see, I was hoping they'd roll with the original plan.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I am glad that they now have a Sami Zayn mascot to be friends with Youppi, who is Kevin Owens.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh I agree that Kapanen sucks. But if they're going to insist on playing him, they might as well try him different places and see if something works. I feel the same way about Dumoulin. I know both of these players will consistently be in the lineup, so I'd like them to be maximized...if possible. It might not be possible.

Sullivan's tried him with drat near every forward on the roster at this point, as rex detailed. Nothing makes him better. The only thing that happens is the performance of whichever two guys are stuck with him craters.

I don't know that Kap's ever been put on a line with Crosby intentionally. I suspect most of those 10% of Kap's minutes that are with Crosby are just because of Crosby taking extra long shifts or Kap not being able to get off the ice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sullivan's tried him with drat near every forward on the roster at this point, as rex detailed. Nothing makes him better. The only thing that happens is the performance of whichever two guys are stuck with him craters.

I don't know that Kap's ever been put on a line with Crosby intentionally. I suspect most of those 10% of Kap's minutes that are with Crosby are just because of Crosby taking extra long shifts or Kap not being able to get off the ice.

I don't think he has either. Not that I can remember. Maybe at times during games for a shift or two where Sullivan doubleshifted Crosby.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

e: ^^ I think its less if and more when. I doubt they regress as hard as Buffalo but I wouldnt be shocked to see them entering the playoffs as a wild card team.

New Jersey has a league best expected goal split of 64%/36%. With 41 xGF and 23.5 xGA. Actual results have evened out to 40 for and 24 against. If the goaltending holds up they are insanely legit.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Nick perbix is the next lightning sixth rounder to make trading first rounders irrelevant.

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1591928409281761280?s=20&t=BMHirsh-gf69XVlLT8Y9FA
man it would be very funny if the devils are a mirage and suck again by the end of the season and people start tossing these onto the ice

I should buy this shirt

It's been a long decade.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

Nick perbix is the next lightning sixth rounder to make trading first rounders irrelevant.

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

Perbix sounds like a high fiber cereal brand

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
NOBODY CARES ABOUT KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh how fervently I wish that were true

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mennoknight posted:

NOBODY CARES ABOUT KASPERI KAPANEN

The Penguins coach clearly does.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

:fork:

The Capitals look done this season. No offensive punch at all. Kuznetsov just isn’t a 1C on a good team and Ovechkin god bless him just doesn’t drive offense the way he used to.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

ThinkTank posted:

That lineup is every single one the Canucks have rolled out for a decade and we will definitely never escape

Canucks used to be at least a mildly entertaining hobby, because there was usually something to cheer for - some dumb meme or hilarity, reading Botch's Armies, do ur dekes, flow,lottery angle, covid bubble playoffs, even last year the Boudreau boost gave hope but this is the worst season in the club's history in every conceivable respect so far since the disappointment of 2014. Spend to the absolute penny to the cap and this is the product, year after miserable year? It used to run the gamut of a form of entertainment and now I just feel derision - not for the players, but for the entirety of the new management team and absolutely the sleazy ownership. I honestly can't imagine a team that is harder to cheer for - like I would so legit be so loving happy for a proper rebuild. There is so much evidence for how to properly rebuild a hockey team or properly pipelining and sustaining a great one like Boston's. Why we continue to prove that a "rebuild on the fly" is nonsense after ten years of grief is the definition of insanity. I have been a fan since 1980 and I will no longer cheer for an organization owned by a greedy, meddlesome idiot who has now been exposed as abusive to his own children.

The hosed up thing about it is that people have been saying this for years and years and consistently the media and fanbase have snottily counseled patience or pedantically dismissed the "armchair GMs" - Gillis, AV and the Sedins were the last good thing to happen to this team. How the Sedins are still involved in any sort of consultation to this colossal tire fire is completely beyond my comprehension

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

How the Sedins are still involved in any sort of consultation to this colossal tire fire is completely beyond my comprehension

Not to be all arrogant but I happen to comprehend perfectly. I can explain it to you if you like!

money

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Heliogabalos posted:

Canucks used to be at least a mildly entertaining hobby, because there was usually something to cheer for - some dumb meme or hilarity, reading Botch's Armies, do ur dekes, flow,lottery angle, covid bubble playoffs, even last year the Boudreau boost gave hope but this is the worst season in the club's history in every conceivable respect so far since the disappointment of 2014. Spend to the absolute penny to the cap and this is the product, year after miserable year? It used to run the gamut of a form of entertainment and now I just feel derision - not for the players, but for the entirety of the new management team and absolutely the sleazy ownership. I honestly can't imagine a team that is harder to cheer for - like I would so legit be so loving happy for a proper rebuild. There is so much evidence for how to properly rebuild a hockey team or properly pipelining and sustaining a great one like Boston's. Why we continue to prove that a "rebuild on the fly" is nonsense after ten years of grief is the definition of insanity. I have been a fan since 1980 and I will no longer cheer for an organization owned by a greedy, meddlesome idiot who has now been exposed as abusive to his own children.

The hosed up thing about it is that people have been saying this for years and years and consistently the media and fanbase have snottily counseled patience or pedantically dismissed the "armchair GMs" - Gillis, AV and the Sedins were the last good thing to happen to this team. How the Sedins are still involved in any sort of consultation to this colossal tire fire is completely beyond my comprehension

The worst part is they could rebuild on the fly! They always could have. Just look at the last six seasons, delete every FA overpay and desperation deadline trade that was obviously terrible at the time, and replace the beneficiary of any number of cap dump trades in that same span with "Vancouver". Boom, instant contender.

The only Benning moves that "worked out" -- and I say that because both moves were terrible ideas at the time and the advantage gained from both was punted away -- were the Miller and Toffoli trades. And Vancouver would still be better off today if they never happened.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think the Canucks kick rear end exactly as they are.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think the Canucks kick rear end exactly as they are.

for this season specifically i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not to be all arrogant but I happen to comprehend perfectly. I can explain it to you if you like!

money

Lmao, yah

I think in retrospect I actually stopped being a fan when Tanev was allowed to walk with no offer. I knew then but I thought I was too cynical. Should have listened to this thread