Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Doctor Zaius posted:

A lot of it comes down to the fact that if there's a choice, like a fork in the road or whatever, but the choice being made is so vague that you can effectively substitute one outcome for the other, then it wasn't a real informed choice to begin with.
Yeah the GM I have for a couple of weekly games has thrown at least two just actual mazes at us in both games and we just go left, straight, or right in that order. It's still fun because he sets up fun encounters but it gets old reminding him that we're following an extremely basic logic and don't need to be asked what we're doing at every intersection.

Then he did throw a maze with teleporters at us that hosed with our default approach, that was fun. Now my dragonborn barbarian is wielding a greataxe that incurs a wild magic roll on hit that we won off the minotaur that was running the maze~

/e: said barbarian was raised by gnomes and is a mechanic of the "percussive maintenance" variety so it's got a whole bunch of stuff wired into it that was on my last axe, like a battery for lightning damage, and the claw of some homebrewed monster we fought so I get the "getting within my reach incurs an attack of opportunity" bit from some feat. The games are lots of fun, but mazes are dumb.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Player: Let's go to the City of Goldmoon
GM: OK, The road to Goldmoon goes through the Crypt Of Decay
Player: Can't we cross over the mountains?
GM: OK, the path atop the mountains is blocked by the entrance to the Crypt Of Decay
Player: Let's find an inn to spend the night
GM: OK, The nearest inn lies within the Crypt Of Decay
Player: Let's just camp out for the night and figure out where to go in the morning
GM: You wake up in the Crypt Of Decay

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Ferrinus posted:

GM: OK, the path atop the mountains is blocked by the entrance to the Crypt Of Decay
Player: Let's just camp out for the night and figure out where to go in the morning

The friends you made along the way? Actually just the crypt of decay with a fake mustache.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

Yeah the GM I have for a couple of weekly games has thrown at least two just actual mazes at us in both games and we just go left, straight, or right in that order. It's still fun because he sets up fun encounters but it gets old reminding him that we're following an extremely basic logic and don't need to be asked what we're doing at every intersection.

Then he did throw a maze with teleporters at us that hosed with our default approach, that was fun. Now my dragonborn barbarian is wielding a greataxe that incurs a wild magic roll on hit that we won off the minotaur that was running the maze~

/e: said barbarian was raised by gnomes and is a mechanic of the "percussive maintenance" variety so it's got a whole bunch of stuff wired into it that was on my last axe, like a battery for lightning damage, and the claw of some homebrewed monster we fought so I get the "getting within my reach incurs an attack of opportunity" bit from some feat. The games are lots of fun, but mazes are dumb.

I could never get my players to solve a maze, just lol. I have to give them the dungeon map at the start of the adventure or they would never make a decision

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

While this is hilarious, it actually is an interesting idea to have a clingy dungeon. Once you enter a certain room for the first time, you get magically transported back there at dawn every day until you finish the dungeon to lift the curse, or die.

“There is no escape from the world of Dungeon of Dragons!”

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Ferrinus posted:

Ugh loving Saruman playing DMPC and blocking the mountain pass to make us go through the Mines of Moria. Take a hint, GM!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Lol I'm finding out that towns are hideously more difficult to make than dungeons.

Is there a definitive way I'm supposed to make stair cases in Dungeoncraft so when I import them into Foundry its easy to set up as a transition point to a higher level map?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

St0rmD posted:

I mean....they quite literally padded it out with 2 extra book covers and a slipcase...if it had been one book like Curse of Strahd or Waterdeep Dragon Heist, it would have been the thinnest product they've released so far!

I think the three piece for spelljammer is fine. They kinda botched the release of spelljammer academy, SJA which is what I was referring to. I wish it had a little more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
First real session!

Things went off the rails pretty quickly as expected. The way the module originally goes was the party appears at a Windmill outside of town where a crazy scary magical thing happens because they were already at the town and that's where they happened to gather. What happens instead is the party were invited to travel to meet a famous adventurer to go on a quest (a different adventure in the book) and got ambushed by goblins on the road in a forest.

My plan as DM:
1. Goblin ambush.
2. The carriage the party is traveling in gets destroyed by a mysterious source of fire magic, which seems to come from a different direction from the goblins.
3. The goblins are repulsed, BUT some manage to get away, and then the party hears Wargs off in the distance.

This is meant to get the party, now without their ride and miles from civilization, to turn off the road to find the nearest shelter, which turns out to be a windmill next to that town where stuff is going down.

What happened:
1. Goblin ambush, so far so good, but the party is just effortlessly slicing through them. Killing them all.
2. I managed to destroy the wagon, but didn't think to figure out a way to do it without a "source" potentially revealing a future NPC of interest, because the tokens name entered the chat. I should've made like a "GM" npc token, just for environmental spells and stuff.
3. I panicked and halved the damage a goblin did to one of the players, who was a barbarian, and were raging, dealing only 1 damage; I think I should've just stuck with the 1d6+whatever of its damage roll but I was worried that maybe the encounter was actually more difficult than it ended up being which was trivial; the CR calculator lied to me. (I had like 8 CR 1/4 goblins with 4 hp each attacking in three waves of three/three/2); the goblins ended up not managing to hit anyone the entire rest of the encounter!
4. Because the players killed them so effortlessly, I didn't really have anything that was actually scary to scare them into finding shelter, since afterall why would they be scared, they easily defeated these goblins!

Luckily one of the players came in with the SAVE! And he suggested they should go south to chase after the goblin wizard that clearly cast fireball; and I was silently celebrating in my seat, as it meant I could have the windmill be wherever they ended up. Originally it was like in my head, the windmill and the other town was always off the main road, but I had sorta said "looks like you see a light off in the distance down the road" as I had winged it. Ideally what was supposed to happen was maybe the carriage driver would've pointed out to the party the nearest town is days away on foot and the nearest town he can think of is the town the party is (for the current adventure) supposed to go to.

Also I wasn't quite as prepared as I wanted to be, I wanted the first third of the adventure (there's three parts) done. But only managed to complete two maps kinda sorta. But luckily the two combat encounters, the goblin ambush and then the crazed villager ambush at the windmill took up a lot of time and things worked out; but I wasn't as prepared I was supposed to be and had to frantically complete some tokens during the session on top of fixing other technical issues from new foundry modules that got added between the weeks.

At the Windmill things were progressing pretty good; albeit I had the players moving in turn order even when out of combat, I liked the idea of making sure everyone got a chance to do things, but it was also really slow; and the players let me know after the session that it slowed things down a bit too much, so I'll not be doing that except for like downtime or where their turns need the extra attention and let them know when they can or cannot move their tokens; maybe that's a good time to pause in foundry?

The party at the windmill immediately splits up, two going around the outside, 1 flying up to the top to attack the windmill, a few go inside; then the magical darkness descends, the book calls for 20' max vision, I'm allowing 30 for now and oh boy do they need it because being separated + the lack the vision really works well to separate them from each other!

The party fighter though pretty effortlessly 3 v 1'd the villagers outside while inside two of the others easily take down the one that broke in. The fighter grapples the last surviving villager and drags him inside; as the session was close to ending time this was my opportunity to have the big shadowy monster creature that's like the Resident Evil monster that's always chasing you come out and take one of the villager corpses and retreat into the rapidly enclosing darkness.

Probably one of the funnier interactions was me not understanding how a windmill works on the inside because from the battlemap I had what little description I had didn't make any sense and I kinda left giving a overview to the provided battlemap until the end so instead of preparing like a basement and other floors for it we had to sorta theater of mind it which resulted in a lot of confusion. Some of this confusion wasn't helped by that I am not always in GM mode in the app and depending on whose token I have clicked I can't see the whole map; so one player was somewhere else than where I thought they were etc.

Next session the party seems pretty intent on doing what I'm expecting them to do that I am somewhat prepared for and I am very excited for them to see my first map that I've made myself. :shobon:

screenshot:

One problem I have is I wanted to name the tokens different names, like "Crazed Villager - Ryan" etc, but they all ended up being named the same as their "parent" actor in the initiative screen.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 13, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rubberduke posted:

The friends you made along the way? Actually just the crypt of decay with a fake mustache.

Turns out the crypt of decay was inside us all along

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Narsham posted:

While this is hilarious, it actually is an interesting idea to have a clingy dungeon. Once you enter a certain room for the first time, you get magically transported back there at dawn every day until you finish the dungeon to lift the curse, or die.

Eyes of the stone thief is very much this vein, you can wander into a forest and oh hey look you're in the Dark Grove again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Narsham posted:

I have been stowing a megadungeon level in my back pocket for awhile: a completely safe, untouched, clean room with fresh water and nice relaxing chaise longues for ten people. If the PCs are stupid enough to sleep in the dungeon safe room, they all awaken in a realm of Ravenloft, and need to kill the darklord to get out (or accomplish some other adventure-long quest limited to the area), upon which they return to the dungeon room completely safe and unharmed (but xp is still gained, items acquired or expended, etc). Time passes as normal outside, so the PCs may wake up a month later everyone assuming they died in the dungeon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I have been stowing a megadungeon level in my back pocket for awhile: a completely safe, untouched, clean room with fresh water and nice relaxing chaise longues for ten people. If the PCs are stupid enough to sleep in the dungeon safe room, they all awaken in a realm of Ravenloft, and need to kill the darklord to get out (or accomplish some other adventure-long quest limited to the area), upon which they return to the dungeon room completely safe and unharmed (but xp is still gained, items acquired or expended, etc). Time passes as normal outside, so the PCs may wake up a month later everyone assuming they died in the dungeon.

I did this once, sort of. The PCs were on a quest to meet the Myconid mushroom king but end up mysteriously waking up in Ravenloft. They have to defeat a mushroom themed Strahd with absolutely no indication as to why. When they finally escape Ravenloft they actually wake up in the mushroom kings throne room, and he asks them if they enjoyed playing "mushroom games" in the Myconid hallucinogenic mind network :v:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 13, 2022

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

screenshot:

One problem I have is I wanted to name the tokens different names, like "Crazed Villager - Ryan" etc, but they all ended up being named the same as their "parent" actor in the initiative screen.

The scale seems a bit out of whack on that screenshot. The bulls seem huge and the player tokens tiny.

I personally like top down tokens better but that is just a matter of taste.

Dungeondraft is not really a great tool for city maps in my opinion. Maybe look into other opions for that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rubberduke posted:

The scale seems a bit out of whack on that screenshot. The bulls seem huge and the player tokens tiny.

I personally like top down tokens better but that is just a matter of taste.

Dungeondraft is not really a great tool for city maps in my opinion. Maybe look into other opions for that.

Yeah the issue with scale there is I wanted the wagon large enough for all the players to in theory be in the same wagon. Scale improves from there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Seems reasonable to me

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ferrinus posted:

I'm just glad Goldmoon finally got the respect she deserved what with bringing back knowledge of the good gods and all that healing magic.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The reason that mountable animals look so oversized in VTTs is because player tokens throw off the scale. You see a player token and think it represents a person but the reality is that they are occupying an entire 5x5 grid space despite a person being, what, 2x2? Meanwhile an approx 3x5 horse SHOULD occupy that space more fully but would look tiny next to the token. So you end up with 10Wx15L cart oxen and the scale is now completely broken.

Counterpoint, the realistic sized tokens that Roll20 has available for free all look microscopic compared to your character tokens, so realistic token sizes are never gonna happen so long as you use a grid system.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

PeterWeller posted:

I'm just glad Goldmoon finally got the respect she deserved what with bringing back knowledge of the good gods and all that healing magic.

I'm sure it's to avoid confusion when it comes to sourcebooks referencing things, but I'm a bit surprised more fantasy worlds don't have more cities and countries named after in-universe historical figures. Oddly enough, Dragonlance is a good subversion of this: Ergoth being named after their founder Ackal Ergot, and Solamnia after Vinas Solamnus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

I'm sure it's to avoid confusion when it comes to sourcebooks referencing things, but I'm a bit surprised more fantasy worlds don't have more cities and countries named after in-universe historical figures. Oddly enough, Dragonlance is a good subversion of this: Ergoth being named after their founder Ackal Ergot, and Solamnia after Vinas Solamnus.

Baldur's Gate after Balduran, Menzoberranzan for Menzoberra, Calimshan off the top of my head.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Neverwinter

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That's named after how the river/port never freezes over.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Arivia posted:

Baldur's Gate after Balduran, Menzoberranzan for Menzoberra, Calimshan off the top of my head.

Surprised the first one isn't named after the Norse god of joy, knowledge, and all the good things in life.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm curious if there's a like, random villager token thing for foundry, one generic Actor in the actors pane but a different rng name, token, etc when you drag it out to the map.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I'm curious if there's a like, random villager token thing for foundry, one generic Actor in the actors pane but a different rng name, token, etc when you drag it out to the map.
You can use wildcards in the token path to pull random images from a directory, that's built in. For names I like Token Mold.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Arivia posted:

That's named after how the river/port never freezes over.

drat I was thinking it was Lord Neverwinter or something. That sounds really dumb now that I'm typing it.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

imagine dungeons posted:

drat I was thinking it was Lord Neverwinter or something. That sounds really dumb now that I'm typing it.

It's current ruler is Lord Dagult Neverember, but he's actually from Waterdeep though he claims he was related to Neverwinter's line of rulers the Alagondars.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

homeless snail posted:

You can use wildcards in the token path to pull random images from a directory, that's built in. For names I like Token Mold.

That would require setting it up though i guess I want one that does it for me :D

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Now I want to give my players a skeleton key that an NPC tells them can open any door, when in truth any door they open with it leads them to the Crypt of Decay.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Open Marriage Night posted:

Now I want to give my players a skeleton key that an NPC tells them can open any door, when in truth any door they open with it leads them to the Crypt of Decay.

I love this

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was a great Syfy miniseries.

Only instead of a dungeon, it was a 50s or 60s motel room on Route 66. And I'd you used the key on the motel room door, you could walk through and come out of any door you could imagine.

Also there was a bus ticket that would transport people to outside the motel, and a pencil that would spit out pennies when you tapped it on a table.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Only instead of a dungeon, it was a 50s or 60s motel room on Route 66. And I'd you used the key on the motel room door, you could walk through and come out of any door you could imagine.

Also there was a bus ticket that would transport people to outside the motel, and a pencil that would spit out pennies when you tapped it on a table.

I think that syfy miniseries was the matrix part 2

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I found at least one fan site for that miniseries a few years ago that was freakishly obsessive about it. Which fits with the theme.

And the basic concept would work well in an RPG campaign. Some event occurs in a motel room, and every object in the room acquires special powers. Theories abound about the event, but one theory is that God died in the room and anyone who can assemble all the objects and go to the room can claim God’s power. The objects would change from the series, obviously, but it’s a good opportunity to have fun with things like blankets and buckets that never come up in regular play.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah the issue with scale there is I wanted the wagon large enough for all the players to in theory be in the same wagon. Scale improves from there.

It's fine anyway. Just something I have noticed.

Btw I can throw some tokens your way if you need them. I have got a whole bunch from Patreon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa 2022 is up!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rubberduke posted:

It's fine anyway. Just something I have noticed.

Btw I can throw some tokens your way if you need them. I have got a whole bunch from Patreon.

Sure thing! :buddy:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Narsham posted:

I found at least one fan site for that miniseries a few years ago that was freakishly obsessive about it. Which fits with the theme.

And the basic concept would work well in an RPG campaign. Some event occurs in a motel room, and every object in the room acquires special powers. Theories abound about the event, but one theory is that God died in the room and anyone who can assemble all the objects and go to the room can claim God’s power. The objects would change from the series, obviously, but it’s a good opportunity to have fun with things like blankets and buckets that never come up in regular play.

This is a sub plot in the video game Control.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Surprised the first one isn't named after the Norse god of joy, knowledge, and all the good things in life.

Yeah, same - I figured they must've been making a nod at Baldur with that name, too.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Narsham posted:

Oh interesting! I remember that the game Control has something like that too, actually. Could you let me know what the name of the series is, by any chance? I might have to borrow that for minor scenario in a Delta Green campaign I'm about to start running, featuring similarish stuff.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, same - I figured they must've been making a nod at Baldur with that name, too.

Oh interesting! I remember that the game Control has something like that too, actually. Could you let me know what the name of the series is, by any chance? I might have to borrow that for minor scenario in a Delta Green campaign I'm about to start running, featuring similarish stuff.

The Lost Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfWrECLnFYU

EDIT: I feel like it was basically a predecessor to Warehouse 13, which might also be it's own good idea for a setting and adventure.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Lost Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfWrECLnFYU

EDIT: I feel like it was basically a predecessor to Warehouse 13, which might also be it's own good idea for a setting and adventure.

Thanks for that! I'll check it out - Warehouse 13 too, for that matter