Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

didn't someone say playing online with someone with the opposite version will spawn version exclusives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yes.

It was also mentioned that people can steal your shinies in coop. I dont know how accurate either statement is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how are some people here already playing the game? Did physical copies ship early to those that preordered them or something?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
the game leaked and it's easy to hack your Switch

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, how are some people here already playing the game? Did physical copies ship early to those that preordered them or something?

They're in the future and will be sent to a chinese re-education camp soon of breaking the time travel rules

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Are the raids like they are in Sw/Sh? Do they just make up a reason why 'mons are dynamaxing in PokeSpain?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here are the best monsters by the way barring some gen 9 ones that aren't on the sorter yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

the game leaked and it's easy to hack your Switch

Ah ok. Anyway, is this game as easy to break over your knee fairly early on if you so choose like SwSh was or did they make things a little more challenging?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AlternateNu posted:

Are the raids like they are in Sw/Sh? Do they just make up a reason why 'mons are dynamaxing in PokeSpain?

They're Tera raids. Dynamax is not in the game

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RatHat posted:

They're Tera raids. Dynamax is not in the game

So, instead of growing large, they just get rock hats and suddenly resist 90% of damage?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

So, instead of growing large, they just get rock hats and suddenly resist 90% of damage?
barring a radical redesign of the type matchups, rock hat gives more weaknesses than resistances

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nihilarian posted:

barring a radical redesign of the type matchups, rock hat gives more weaknesses than resistances

Do we know the tera type before the raid, or do we only find out once the battle starts like gym opponent levels

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Does the game do that thing they sometimes do where the third starter is given to you at some point late on? I want to play with the grass and the water starter, so I need to get someone to trade to me whichever of those I don't choose. If you get the third starter, then I guess in order for the third to be the fire starter I need to choose grass and have someone trade me the duck?

Same here, we're going to have to make a trading club or something. As it stands the people who got it early might be making bank just because they can hand out starters.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huge QoL breeding change: Know how you could transfer egg moves between 2 mons at the daycare if they were the same species? Well now it works with any species, if they're holding a Mirror herb. Much, much less annoying to get egg moves now.

This also means male-only and genderless Pokemon now have egg moves.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

indigi posted:

Do we know the tera type before the raid, or do we only find out once the battle starts like gym opponent levels

the tera type shows up on the map

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the ai partners in tera raids are really dumb too

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

An Actual Princess posted:

are they sabotagingly dumb like in sw/sh?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

not that I’ve seen, they’re just not very smart. I’ve only done up to three star battles though and from what I understand they go higher

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

good ol gamefreak

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

not that I’ve seen, they’re just not very smart. I’ve only done up to three star battles though and from what I understand they go higher
Is it like SwSh where lower level raids effectively disappear after a certain point? Because that demolished any interest I had in doing them (since getting humans to raid with you is a crapshoot and the ai is terrible).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Is it like SwSh where lower level raids effectively disappear after a certain point? Because that demolished any interest I had in doing them (since getting humans to raid with you is a crapshoot and the ai is terrible).

they still show up in low level areas but I haven’t gone back to do any in those areas now that I’ve outleveled them, so I can’t be sure. I’ll check and get back to you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

if you bring level 100 strong jaw choice thing dracovish with you any raid was pretty manageable, gotta cycle through it a few times every now and then though

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Haifisch posted:

update: went back and did a raid in a starter area. my pokemon are like 45 and I one-shot it, so yeah lower levels absolutely keep appearing

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

of note that I haven’t beaten the campaign yet (probably like 80% through or so) so if something big happens after it’s done I can’t speak to that

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
For those who have the game, how early can you get the following dudes:

Nymble/Lokix the cricket
Smoliv the olive
Frigibax the ice dragon baby
Wattrel the seagull
Tinkatink the fairy hammer baby

Thank u and god bless

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I am missing 6 of the (non-new) exclusives on the version I pre-ordered, and none on the other.

Sweet.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
omg

You can just BUY bottle caps at the FIRST STORE for 20,000 dollars or 20,000 league points.

Basically Game Freak just said "gently caress you forever, IVs."

I couldn't be happier unless they literally just got rid of them entirely. :)

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Are there any first-hand summaries of how the Tera system works?

For example, I want to use the lovely Frosmoth but without it's horrible defensive ice/bug typing. How much freedom do I have in choosing it's new type? How frequently is it available to assume that Tera form?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

DarkLich posted:

Are there any first-hand summaries of how the Tera system works?

For example, I want to use the lovely Frosmoth but without it's horrible defensive ice/bug typing. How much freedom do I have in choosing it's new type? How frequently is it available to assume that Tera form?

every pokemon comes with a tera type by default (as far as i can tell, its primary type). you can get weird ones from doing tera raids or at a certain point in the story, you unlock the ability to customize a tera type by spending a currency you get from doing raids

you can use terastillize on one pokemon in one battle (and it will last until the pokemon dies or the battle ends), and then you have to go to a poke center and rest to be able to use it again

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So that exclusives list just has old pokemon as exclusives, are the only new exclusives the megaman twins and paradox mons?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eimi posted:

So that exclusives list just has old pokemon as exclusives, are the only new exclusives the megaman twins and paradox mons?

Yep

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nice, I was worried Kamen Rider bug might be exclusive since there's the psychic beetle that could've been a set.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

every pokemon comes with a tera type by default (as far as i can tell, its primary type). you can get weird ones from doing tera raids or at a certain point in the story, you unlock the ability to customize a tera type by spending a currency you get from doing raids

you can use terastillize on one pokemon in one battle (and it will last until the pokemon dies or the battle ends), and then you have to go to a poke center and rest to be able to use it again

Beautiful.

So between this, bottle cap availability, and ability patches you can basically make any Pokémon tailored for competitive play within half an hour, or even within minutes if you've previously spent time grinding

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, what's the most thematically appropriate Pokemon to terastillize against the grass-tera Sudowoodo from the grass gym leader?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

doesn't reset on switch?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Scholtz posted:

So, what's the most thematically appropriate Pokemon to terastillize against the grass-tera Sudowoodo from the grass gym leader?

Seismitoad -> poison

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

indigi posted:

doesn't reset on switch?

assuming i understand you correctly, no. if you tera, swap away, and then swap back, the pokemon is still terastillized

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gotta say the violet paradoxes aren’t just lame, but a whole new level of lazy. The scarlet ones at least attempt to basically be regional variants by another name. While Violet is literally just a chrome texture. Quite literally “Shiny Pokémon”.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're super sick imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

galagazombie posted:

Gotta say the violet paradoxes aren’t just lame, but a whole new level of lazy. The scarlet ones at least attempt to basically be regional variants by another name. While Violet is literally just a chrome texture. Quite literally “Shiny Pokémon”.

Wrong. The future iron valiant is both gallade and Gardevoir because in the future we've killed gender. They're cool and good.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 14, 2022