Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

euphronius posted:

blocks are not meaningless it’s literally a -2 point (more like -1.2 points I guess ) play

this is 100% fantasy simulacrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

indigi posted:

this is 100% fantasy simulacrum

u are getting confused

stats can be narratively important (this happened ) and have meaning in telling a story of a game (“and then he score two points and blocked a shot on defense “) like in that sense the words have meaning and point to something that happened .

what is the simulacrum is taking stats out of their narrative home and putting them in spreadsheets to determine things that are made up .

like “embiid blocked 5 shots in the 4th quarter “ makes sense

“block shots per game is an important stat which shows value on defense” does not make sense

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

blocks are not meaningless it’s literally a -2 point (more like -1.2 points I guess ) play

depends on the block, block + possession negates a good shot and gives your team a fast break opportunity(~2 point play), block without possession turns a good shot into probably a worse shot but not necessarily (~0.2 point play)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fair enough I was assuming block plus possession yeah

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jesus H I've been playing Xenoblade but 59 goddamn points

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

euphronius posted:

like “embiid blocked 5 shots in the 4th quarter “ makes sense

he certainly blocked five shots but that doesn't translate to +1.2x5 saved points because it completely lacks context. you can't just say "Embiid had blocks which prevent points" like that number in the box score is equivalent to describing those five individual particular plays.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can and I will Becuase it is correct

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
your immediately previous post already admitted it wasn't

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in general but in this game specifically no I was correct

espn and fantasy has so ruined stats that when people try to used them correctly (say what happened) people get all confused and import the whole simulacrum on top of basic narrative statements

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is what I said

euphronius posted:

[embiid had] 5 blocks in the 4th

a simple narrative statement they described what happened

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
and I said that number provides no information about utility

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
all blocks are rad as all get out

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

like I’d trade Embiid for Haliburton, Heild, and Turner, but something tells me the Pacers wouldn’t do that.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

trade embiid for a center right now

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

hm

euphronius posted:

he will have a lot of blocks and writers will think “that’s good defense !!” it’s in the box score you know

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm glad to see that by this time next year Embiid will finally complete his transition to PG.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Giannis, Curry, Durant, Luka, and Tatum are probably the best players in the NBA. In that order. No questions, please.

As amazingly as Tatum has played this year, Jokic should still be ahead of him and Durant imo. The top three players (Jokic/Giannis/Doncic) are all foreign

Embiid made the case that he should also be ahead of Tatum and Durant today, and if Donovan Mitchell keeps balling out like this with improved shooting efficiency/passing/defense he has a chance to be in the discussion as well. Also Shai Gilgeous-Alexander deserves more attention but is on one of the worst teams. The fact that OKC is playing even okay is a miracle

Right now I'd say first tier is Giannis/Doncic/Jokic/Curry, second tier is Tatum/Embiid/Durant/Mitchell/SGA, third tier is Morant/Lillard/PG3/Butler, and honorable mentions are Siakam/Booker/Bane/DJ Murray/Jrue/VanVleet/Halliburton. Harden is second or third tier based on his low sample size so far but we'll see if he can continue his success

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 14, 2022

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
"best player" is a lot more vague than who's having the best season. the players having the best season are pretty clearly luka/giannis and i'd put tatum third.

it's tough to evaluate jokic because he's playing so differently than last year, both in terms of where he puts his effort and the playcalls in terms of running PNR or DHO sets (where his role is primarily playmaking) instead of a lot of dedicated post-up sets (where his role is primarily scoring unless/until a team sends a double). last year he averaged 28/14/8, and in the game that just ended, he posted 8/6/14, +29 in 27 minutes.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

"best player" is a lot more vague than who's having the best season. the players having the best season are pretty clearly luka/giannis and i'd put tatum third.

it's tough to evaluate jokic because he's playing so differently than last year, both in terms of where he puts his effort and the playcalls in terms of running PNR or DHO sets (where his role is primarily playmaking) instead of a lot of dedicated post-up sets (where his role is primarily scoring unless/until a team sends a double). last year he averaged 28/14/8, and in the game that just ended, he posted 8/6/14, +29 in 27 minutes.

He's CP3 at the center position, and every year the analytics show his defense improving such that now he's arguably an elite defender at center. Vucevic was 4/10 today and got no offensive rebounds. He's doing an incredible job setting up Porter/Murray even as they come back from injuries and KCP as well who is shooting at career high efficiency

He's hitting a career low 3 point percentage, as he's only shooting 28%, so although he's sharing the ball more I imagine his ppg will improve

Tatum is having a ridiculous scoring/efficiency year but so is everyone. Scoring is up across the entire NBA. Right now the only player who has separated themselves from the pack on offense has been Steph but I imagine he'll come back down to earth

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 14, 2022

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I should mention that playoff Butler is the best player in the NBA and my tier list should probably be completely reshuffled come playoff time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if hes really the best in the playoffs why couldnt he drag his cast of undrafted scrubs to the finals?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
But anyway, tonight is embiid’s night, I hope this will give my sixers poster friends hope once again. Absurdly dominant game

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Right now I'm happy about my Kings looking like they could end the biggest playoff drought in sports. Their offense is crazy

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

blocks don't necessarily lead to preventing points until the rebound, not in the way that a dunk is necessarily scoring.

but blocks are awesome. dropping 50 with 5 swats is stunning.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

20 points off 24 free throws is a silly regular season quirk though so i'm personally rounding his points down to the nearest round number.

Congratulations two-way titan Joel Embiid!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that was a good example of how important a two way center is

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Joel-Hans Embiid is very good.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I can’t believe the cavs lost to the worst team in the league

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

But anyway, tonight is embiid’s night, I hope this will give my sixers poster friends hope once again. Absurdly dominant game

I'm mad i woke up too late to watch it before work.

lmao embiid wants Doc gone so bad, look at the snub at the start of this video
https://twitter.com/sixers/status/1592005757209280517
my preseason theory that Embiid and Harden were going to be coaching the team on the court is looking truer and truer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
if Embiid really wanted him gone he'd be gone

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

indigi posted:

if Embiid really wanted him gone he'd be gone

the owners hired him, not Morey

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Stevie Lee posted:

the owners hired him, not Morey

this is the nba. if Embiid said "him or me" rivers is gone

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

I can’t believe the cavs lost to the worst team in the league

You mean against the future top two seed in the West? The Cavs didn't have Donovan Mitchell in that game :|

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

if Mitchell plays Garland has like 18 points, sadly.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I was told the Cavs were unstoppable and the wolves were doodoo rear end

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

although I’ll acknowledge that playing Mitchell 40 mins a game is good cover for faking an injury to duck Gobert. not sure why they would feel it’s necessary to do that though. maybe they don’t trust him?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you can watch the 4th quarter of the jazz sixers game

I’ve never seen anything like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I was told Embiid should be traded for Halliburton, Hield, and Turner. And DLo doesn't go 30/12 with Mitchell on defense lol

Cavs being a top four team and the Wolves being garbage is still true