Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LividLiquid posted:

Deep Space 9 finally addressed this. Jadzia Captained The Defiant during the war and was referred to as Captain despite not being ranked so.

that's just because Ron Moore's a weird ROTC dropout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paradoxish posted:

I unironically love the Nova class and I love this size of ship. Another one of Voyager's huge misses on potential was the idea that the Intrepid class never felt as small as it was supposed to be, and it still ended up with TNG's ship of endless hallways and infinite expendable crew effect.
Voyager was bigger than Kirk's Enterprise with only about a third of the crew, which is how they ended up with that literal lower decker who just stayed out of the way in a part of the ship nobody ever visited for most of the journey. If they'd really wanted the "one small ship, alone in unknown space" they should have made it the size of the Nova-class, but I guess they wanted the "this area left blank for future use" option on the deck plan (and somewhere to fit all those shuttles).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bullbar posted:

I was thinking today, Starfleet really needs a protocol for "this person isn't acting like themselves" so they can immediately start scanning to see if they're possessed or a shapeshifter or whatever

They seemed to have things pretty in-hand right away in Lower Decks when past-Rutherford's personality took over, they jumped straight to 'yeah we've probably got a possession situation here' and took appropriate action.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Heavy Metal posted:

I just watched Vortex, that ep is a masterpiece! One of the best DS9's so far. Plus right before that was The Nagus, which even though it had some fun Quark, it was one of those ones I wasn't feeling enough to fully sit through. Vortex though, that is my jam, it's like an ep of Miami Vice meets Deadwood. Cool honor and intrigue among strangers, some almost Hateful Eight-esque ol' west characters and vendettas etc, and cool characterization for Odo. I thought the guest actor ruled, and looked it up, he stars in one of my fav underrated movies Shock Treatment (that follow-up to Rocky Horror). Cool stuff.

Honestly if you enjoyed any season 1 episode that much -- well, aside from "Duet", which everyone loves -- you are in for a treat. I've never thought much of "Vortex" either way myself. But either way, there's lots of great stuff ahead.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Has the whole kids on a ship that routinely gets put in danger ever come up in Trek?

Like the whole bring your family along on a ship that can flip from looking at plants to fighting off a borg invasion seems kinda daft.

None of the other species were shown to have kids/schools on their ships were they?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kin posted:

Has the whole kids on a ship that routinely gets put in danger ever come up in Trek?

Like the whole bring your family along on a ship that can flip from looking at plants to fighting off a borg invasion seems kinda daft.

None of the other species were shown to have kids/schools on their ships were they?

Picard specifically grumbles about it in The Bonding.

No, I don't think other nations were shown to have families on their combatant starships

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"I've figured out a way to make the men fight harder!"

"How sir?"

"Well they will have to you see."

"Why is that?"

"Or their families will be killed horribly!"

"Brilliant!"

"Also no one can leave the ship for 5 years!"

"Uh well..."

"Okay some can leave but they have to put on a red shirt and they may not be coming back... Ever..."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kin posted:

The entire point of having a saucer section that detaches was to be able to stick the children and families in it and hide it when you go into battle, but effects are expensive.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kin posted:

The Borg.

e: Yes, a maturation chamber counts as a school. :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Gem'hadar also have kids on their ships.

Kind of

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The Gem'hadar also have kids on their ships.

Kind of

i'm imagining they look like the kids from dinosaurs now, little baby hornheads

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Picard specifically grumbles about it in The Bonding.

No, I don't think other nations were shown to have families on their combatant starships

Didn't a group of Ferengi call out how dumb that is at one point?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Didn't a group of Ferengi call out how dumb that is at one point?

They also think that it is the height of perversion to clothe :females:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

wesleywillis posted:

They also think that it is the height of perversion to clothe :females:

Yeah, when a group like that is able to call you out, you know you hosed up bad.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Computer, activate self-destruct. Lock all escape pods and turbolift doors. Re-rout deadly plasma into the daycare ventilation system.

That'll show this god-alien how serious I am...

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Bullbar posted:

I was thinking today, Starfleet really needs a protocol for "this person isn't acting like themselves" so they can immediately start scanning to see if they're possessed or a shapeshifter or whatever

star trekkers are insane thrill junky decorum bug chasers who want the crew to get possesed so they can put the skills they honed over hours in debate club into practice

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Trying posted:

star trekkers are insane thrill junky decorum bug chasers who want the crew to get possesed so they can put the skills they honed over hours in debate club into practice

Also because it required possession/mind control to force a white man to kiss a black woman on TV in the 1960s.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Everyone posted:

Also because it required possession/mind control to force a white man to kiss a black woman on TV in the 1960s.

may I refer you to i_am_a_racist_but_i_would_totally_make_out_with_uhura.txt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trying posted:

may I refer you to i_am_a_racist_but_i_would_totally_make_out_with_uhura.txt

If that is an actual text, yes please. It sounds like something someone in the 70s would have written.

But also lots of slave owning racists did "make out" with black women that they did not consider to be people.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

If that is an actual text, yes please. It sounds like something someone in the 70s would have written.

But also lots of slave owning racists did "make out" with black women that they did not consider to be people.

And made sure to pass laws ensuring that any children that resulted from said "make outs" would inherit the mother's status and not the father's. AKA they stayed slaves.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

BonHair posted:

Some 70s Southern Dude its on the Wiki posted:

I am totally opposed to the mixing of the races. However, any time a red-blooded American boy like Captain Kirk gets a beautiful dame in his arms that looks like Uhura, he ain't gonna fight it.

Not saying they're not racist, just that mind control isn't necessarily necessary.

BonHair posted:

But I do not dispute this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kin posted:

For the most part it seems like one of those weird early TNG ideas that got backed away from. I can sort of see the reasoning in how this space future society with the ability to provide anything anywhere could provide adequate living conditions for servicemen to bring their families along in the ship itself, but it's also contingent on interior Earth/Federation society not being fleshed out or considered at all, which makes it easier to imagine people just leaving their homes behind because of a spouse in starfleet if there's nothing on Earth to actually keep them tied down. For Vulcans it might even be better for their health to have their long-term postings on the same ship with their mates.

Nominally, the Galaxy ships aren't meant to be frontline battleships, they're supposed to just be research ships (that regularly poke sticks into the dangerous unknown), but the show had very little interest in depicting much long-term research and academics onboard the ship. The show even had some kind of idea of leaving the civilians behind when something dangerous was going on, but never did anything with that either.

TNG was probably the most ambitious Trek show with the most weird ideas that very often didn't work.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
In fairness to the Galaxy's "Yeah, in hindsight, :wtc:?" mission profile planners, there had been a long period of relative stability for a few decades prior to TNG. They were probably thinking "Okay, there was that business with the Cardassians, but that's now over and this new ship can easily handle any border skirmishes. Totally safe to have families aboard." They couldn't foresee meeting Q, the return of the Romulans, first contact with the Borg, the Maquis deciding to pick a fight in the DMZ, the discovery of the Bajoran wormhole and eventual conflict with the Dominion...

Kinda weird how whenever we follow a particular ship or station, Interesting Times return. :haw:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
They also quietly back away from the entire idea of kids on board as soon as Roddenberry's out of the picture. I don't know that they explicitly ever said they'd moved families off the ship, but the references to them gradually shrink into nothing after Wolf 359 and the idea of other ships ever having families on board in the first place is never referenced outside of the first episode of DS9 with Sisko's dead wife.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Roadie posted:

They also quietly back away from the entire idea of kids on board as soon as Roddenberry's out of the picture. I don't know that they explicitly ever said they'd moved families off the ship, but the references to them gradually shrink into nothing after Wolf 359 and the idea of other ships ever having families on board in the first place is never referenced outside of the first episode of DS9 with Sisko's dead wife.

Nah, the kids are on board until the end. For instance. there are the kids in the turbolift with Picard during Disaster (S5). Rascals, also S5, has the kid versions of the adults blend in with other kids on board. Alexander is explicitly going to school on board throughout S5. The Captain Picard day 'art' show is during Pegasus (S7).

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Prolly best to keep kids away from Trek tbh

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

"The accumulated filth of all their treks and explorers will foam up around their waists and all the yeoman and ambassadors will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll look down and whisper "No."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The kid later grew up to invent the instrument that makes TMP’s score so iconic.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

bull3964 posted:

The kid later grew up to invent the instrument that makes TMP’s score so iconic.

I thought this was a joke I wasn't getting, but

"As an LA studio session musician and electronic music composer, working under the name "Craig Huxley", he created the "Blaster Beam ", a massive stringed instrument responsible for the weird tonalities of V'ger bass blasts in Jerry Goldsmith's score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, heard in the beginning of the film during the Klingon sequence. He also created the synthesizer programming for the Project Genesis sequence in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. "After I created this music, I expanded it and included it on an album, Genesis Project, along with my version of the TV series theme," explained Huxley."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MillennialVulcan posted:

I thought this was a joke I wasn't getting, but

"As an LA studio session musician and electronic music composer, working under the name "Craig Huxley", he created the "Blaster Beam ", a massive stringed instrument responsible for the weird tonalities of V'ger bass blasts in Jerry Goldsmith's score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, heard in the beginning of the film during the Klingon sequence. He also created the synthesizer programming for the Project Genesis sequence in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. "After I created this music, I expanded it and included it on an album, Genesis Project, along with my version of the TV series theme," explained Huxley."

Wow, that is cool as hell. I wonder if he knows that the entrance to the Denver Museum of Art sounded a lot like the Blaster Beam when you walk through it (which was also cool as hell)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Roadie posted:

The Federation are just too cowardly to move to an entirely ship based living setup.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"You're not afraid to die in battle? Good for you. Listen. See the little kid behind the helmsman? That's Cadet Ricky. There's four generations of his family on this ship, and every one of those generations is ready and willing to time travel and risk getting erased from history just to make sure Wesley gets a date to the Academy Prom. Are you hearing me? Entire clans on this floating city, in the middle of a hostile empire, surrounded by warships, and it's just your average day at Pre-K. Call me back when you're ready to show real dedication."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

External Organs posted:

There's probably a xenobiology paper postulating that spacefaring species with minimal sleep needs have a greater expansion potential - perhaps the iconians didn't need any sleep at all!

Iconians lived in the Sigma Grind Quadrant. :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On TV they're barely in space but in the movies they take great joy in exploding corridors and sucking people out into vacuum and for that reason I think that children should not be on starships that get into shenangians on a weekly basis. Because the only way to die in space is horrifically. (exceptions if they are actually officers who have been turned into children by a transporter thing or an omniscient entity.)

Also I don't get too bent out of shape about how Starfleet ranks work because if I did I'd have to notice that there are zero enlisted people in Star Trek except Chief O'Brien.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

That is basically Beta Canon re: the Enterprise-B, yes. "Boringly competent."

Except for that part where they do a false-flag op on the Romulans.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Beta Canon is just a cruel nickname for Barclay

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It makes sense from Starfleets view to have families on board starships because the Enterprise isn't a warship. Its all about exploration and first contact situations. They're coming from the mindframe that Starfleet is not a military organization.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also they forgot to take into account that Picard was too lazy to use the saucer sep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If the battle bridge had looked better (and wasn't the set they used for literally every single other bridge) they could have sped up the canned separation sequence (if they really needed to show it at all) and made it a regular thing.