Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

I think that effective altruism and related pseudo-philosophical moral justification of the status quo are clandestine cultural psyops a la the iowa writers workshop and the rest of the cold war era western creative writing scene, don't @ me

e: prosperity gospel for people too smart for original flavor prosperity gospel

i think a lot of it is naturally occuring cope from rich morons that possibly is signal boosted by agencies that see it as useful once it starts to catch on cause its all so dumb and bankrupt that if you were trying to plan it you'd do way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Shear Modulus posted:

I think that effective altruism and related pseudo-philosophical moral justification of the status quo are clandestine cultural psyops a la the iowa writers workshop and the rest of the cold war era western creative writing scene, don't @ me

e: prosperity gospel for people too smart for original flavor prosperity gospel

i mean jeremy bentham preexisted the cia

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Petey posted:

i mean jeremy bentham preexisted the cia

oh jeez i wonder if there are any other social philosophers that have come after but for some reason are absent from the social discourse?????????????????

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

imo “the singularity” is so insanely stupid I can’t imagine someone coming up with it maliciously, cause who could possibly believe someone else would be dumb enough to believe in it. I think it organically came out of Computer Man brain because Conputer Man has a pathological need to come up with reasons, even insane ones, for why the computer is all that matters.

then thereafter the singularity provides a lot of useful justifications for why actually, you deserve to have a billion dollars, and actually, the worst thing you could do with your money is give it to the needy.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Petey posted:

exactly. and if you are someone who has invested all your runes in leveling up int alone, then you don’t have a stopping point

I remain unclear why we're pretending there's great intelligence in play here, you don't actually need very much compassion or worldly experience or whatever to look at their first principles and identify the entire framework as useless

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can't figure out how to access archives through the awful app (impossible?) But there was a thread here somewhere on the 'dark enlightenment'. Which I think was about Computer Man/EA/internet rationist/Rocco's basalisk/lesswrong types. They suck. My more recent brush was when I reactivated my twitter and found out a bunch of local liberal hippie burner tech bros had taken to calling everyone else NPCs and were writing the most smug tweets about their monopoly on creativity and interestingness. I can't. I do not like this world sometimes.

Also, conspiracy related q: would it not make sense for their to be spooks posting on this forum, or at least monitoring it? I mean, it is part of an online ecosystem of... Something. The chapo guys, brown Moses, 4chan, et al. Came from sa and they must have come across this lovely website at some point. :Tinfoilhat:

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
These are the same "rationalist" freaks who galaxy brained themselves into inventing Hell all over again with their "Roko's basilisk" thought experiment (a funny and totally unsurprising story I heard is that apparently Elon Musk and Grimes started dating after she made some joke to him about Roko's basilisk or something). And of course Epstein was a transhumanist and networked with a bunch of them at EDGE dinners etc. Just a bunch of absolute clowns and sickos

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lampsacus posted:

I can't figure out how to access archives through the awful app (impossible?) But there was a thread here somewhere on the 'dark enlightenment'. Which I think was about Computer Man/EA/internet rationist/Rocco's basalisk/lesswrong types. They suck. My more recent brush was when I reactivated my twitter and found out a bunch of local liberal hippie burner tech bros had taken to calling everyone else NPCs and were writing the most smug tweets about their monopoly on creativity and interestingness. I can't. I do not like this world sometimes.

Also, conspiracy related q: would it not make sense for their to be spooks posting on this forum, or at least monitoring it? I mean, it is part of an online ecosystem of... Something. The chapo guys, brown Moses, 4chan, et al. Came from sa and they must have come across this lovely website at some point. :Tinfoilhat:

im an op, op

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

I remain unclear why we're pretending there's great intelligence in play here, you don't actually need very much compassion or worldly experience or whatever to look at their first principles and identify the entire framework as useless

i think that moreso than "intelligence," which is too broad a term, it's speaking to the sort of highly educated person that people use "smart" as a shorthand for (ivy league educated, STEM degree, listens to NPR, etc). The argumentative process is to pull some quantitative values out of nowhere, do a bunch of careful-looking math, and then state conclusions that appeal to the formal-feeling mathlike or logic-like reasoning to try and misdirect from the specious assumptions. It seems not dissimilar to, for example, neoliberal economics, which has artifacts like NPR segments explaining how the experts say that to make inflation go down we need to make unemployment go up.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lampsacus posted:

has anyone actually confirmed that lowtax is dead?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

im an op, op
Secret Poster.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Lampsacus posted:

yeah this is a lesswrong or slatestarcodex crowd. Not dark enlightenment per se

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Perry Mason Jar posted:

So it's the tech bro equivalent of what people claim China is doing, except good when China does it. Interesting

maybe I'm missing what you're saying here but I've missed any crypto billionaires or altruism freaks lifting tens of millions out of destitute poverty or building critical infrastructure in developing nations

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Best Friends posted:

imo “the singularity” is so insanely stupid I can’t imagine someone coming up with it maliciously, cause who could possibly believe someone else would be dumb enough to believe in it. I think it organically came out of Computer Man brain because Conputer Man has a pathological need to come up with reasons, even insane ones, for why the computer is all that matters.

then thereafter the singularity provides a lot of useful justifications for why actually, you deserve to have a billion dollars, and actually, the worst thing you could do with your money is give it to the needy.

apocalypticism is nothing new

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

i think that moreso than "intelligence," which is too broad a term, it's speaking to the sort of highly educated person that people use "smart" as a shorthand for (ivy league educated, STEM degree, listens to NPR, etc). The argumentative process is to pull some quantitative values out of nowhere, do a bunch of careful-looking math, and then state conclusions that appeal to the formal-feeling mathlike or logic-like reasoning to try and misdirect from the specious assumptions. It seems not dissimilar to, for example, neoliberal economics, which has artifacts like NPR segments explaining how the experts say that to make inflation go down we need to make unemployment go up.

that certainly sounds right to me, i'm objecting to using "smart" as shorthand for these people (and their hangers-on). plenty of highly educated people who can do math are still perfectly capable of recognizing that, for example, when a line of argument leads to an obviously wrong conclusion it's a sign that you should take a closer look at the premises, etc. etc.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

okay I’m coming around on the “these people are just stupid” argument:

https://twitter.com/jimmyfalungong/status/1591912579911528448?s=46&t=zyBHetk2-NutZapWZO4KRg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

books are thought control i only play interactive fiction so i can express my unique agency

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Guy learned the high school five paragraph essay and figured he was done

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

https://twitter.com/jimmyfalungong/status/1591912579911528448?s=46&t=zyBHetk2-NutZapWZO4KRg

AAAAAAAAÄ

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

that certainly sounds right to me, i'm objecting to using "smart" as shorthand for these people (and their hangers-on). plenty of highly educated people who can do math are still perfectly capable of recognizing that, for example, when a line of argument leads to an obviously wrong conclusion it's a sign that you should take a closer look at the premises, etc. etc.

yeah I fully concede that words like smart or brilliant or whatever are underdetermined

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

maybe one day we’ll finally have a cure for STEM brain

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Endman posted:

This is from an interview with a man who falls on his head for a living as a useful comparison

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/945476040150810629?s=20&t=V1IPWM4FbeXOc5ERiSrG0w

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jkultra23/status/1592021074610638849

I'm not the OP but would happily take any questions

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

not seeing anything on here that is wrong?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
125 years of effort has gotten us a very useful client state in southeast asia

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lampsacus posted:

I mean Vilerat was literally CIA, there were tons of feds here during the Bush years (even if it was just for fun!). Why would they leave?

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I mean Vilerat was literally CIA, there were tons of feds here during the Bush years (even if it was just for fun!). Why would they leave?

Yeah. Always here, never left, mostly just poo poo posting on the clock (and systematically scraping all content and building graphs and sentiment analysis of posts/posters, but that'd largely be automated and likely poo poo quality).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wish i could have a posting job instead of a real one. but not in benghazi.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

how is red tagging a business tactic.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
late to the ship here but my favorite trueanon thing was when a bunch of listeners were complaining how boring this Peter Dale Scott dude was as a guest

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

if you tag your competitors as communist they might get secret arrested

Endman
May 18, 2010

https://twitter.com/jimmyfalungong/status/1592299366886543360?s=46&t=IB1x-9o6YjgbNsgbJDE4XQ

:thunk:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

hmmm

quote:

Controversies
1954 Guatemala coup d'état
Sullivan & Cromwell's involvement in the 1954 coup d'état in Guatemala is documented. At the time, the firm represented the United Fruit Company (UFC), which had major holdings in Guatemala. UFC used its lobbying power, through the firm and through other means, to convince President Eisenhower, as well as Secretary of State John Foster Dulles, and his brother, CIA director Allen Dulles, both alumni of the firm, to depose the democratically elected President of Guatemala, Jacobo Arbenz.[47][48]

Insider trading
In 2008, police uncovered an insider trading conspiracy involving a former Sullivan & Cromwell attorney; Toronto Dorsey & Whitney partner Gil Cornblum had discovered inside information at both Sullivan & Cromwell and Dorsey and, with his co-conspirator, a former lawyer and Cornblum's law school classmate, was found to have gained over $10 million in illegal profits over a 14-year span.[49] Cornblum committed suicide by jumping from a bridge as he was under investigation and shortly before he was to be arrested but before criminal charges were laid against him, one day before his alleged co-conspirator pleaded guilty.[49][50][51]

Tobacco companies
Sullivan & Cromwell has worked on behalf of tobacco companies. In 2008, the law firm advised on a merger on the tobacco companies Altria and UST.[52]

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

this reminds me that i need to read that copy of a law unto itself ive got around here somewhere

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

gradenko_2000 posted:

tell me more about the Philippines being the precursor to the American surveillance state

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh, that's easy, check out Julian Go on the subject, or theres an entire dang book about it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1592168811075366913?s=20&t=jDVhOvaFpdzOzXXD0dICvQ

bitcoin nsa/cia bait

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

but I want gradenko to spin me a yarn about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

"Red-tagging" is the practice of very publicly accusing a person or organization of being members of the Communist Party of the Philippines - New People's Army, leading to either their murder by vigilantes, their murder by state security forces under very thin pretenses of having fought back, or their arrest by state security forces under trumped-up charges.

The targets of red-tagging are mostly those on the electoral/activist left, who end up getting put in the crosshairs because of their ideological opposition to the [capitalist] government. Instead of arguing against these people, just call them stealth NPA members, and not only do you get the public to dismiss them out of hand, but you manufacture a reason to eliminate them entirely.

Where it becomes a "business tactic" is when red-tagging is also applied to, say, labor leaders, bus driver union leaders, agrarian reform advocates, and other such figures who might not necessarily be leftist in any kind of fashion, but stand in the way of corporate interests. Instead of arguing against these people, just shoot them and rationalize it later as them having been caught with a rusty M-16 underneath their bed.

It's also the case that the NTF-ELCAC, the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict, formed during the Duterte administration, has a budget of hundreds of millions of pesos, which are disbursed to various barrios and townships, with the intent of "developing" these areas, under the liberal pretense that a sufficiently-prosperous municipality cannot become a recruiting ground for militant leftists, since the people are already well off and thus have no need to take up arms against the government.

In practice, this is essentially a gigantic pork barrel and money laundering, where the government bribes certain localities with money coming from the NTF-ELCAC budget.

NTF-ELCAC releases P16 billion to 812 ‘NPA-free’ barangays

quote:

The Barangay Development Fund of the National Task Force to End Local Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) amounting to P16.24 billion (around $321 million) was already released to at least 812 barangays, according to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

The fund is part of the NTF-ELCAC and DILG’s Barangay Development Program (BDP), which seeks to give incentives to barangays supposedly cleared of communist terrorist groups. The BDP aims to target 822 barangays in the country.

Both the Davao Region and Davao City, home of President Rodrigo Duterte and a number of his cabinet members, got a lion’s share of the billions.

Davao Region was allotted P4.3 billion, while Davao City was allocated P1.64 billion. Davao City received the largest amount among the 197 local government units chosen for the funds.

Joining Davao in the regions receiving the biggest chunks of the budget are Western Visayas, Northern Mindanao, SOCCSKSARGEN, and Caraga.

These funds were earlier criticized by budget experts and some lawmakers as being akin to the pork barrel since it was the NTF-ELCAC that chose the barangay beneficiaries.

___

Marzzle posted:

tell me more about the Philippines being the precursor to the American surveillance state

The following is an excerpt from "In the Shadows of the American Century", by Alfred W. McCoy

quote:

The conquest of the Philippines unleashed the potential of these new technologies [the telegraph, the telephone, and the radio] to form the country’s first information regime as the army battled an extraordinary array of insurgents—national army, urban underground, militant unions, messianic peasants, and Muslim separatists. In the process, the colonial government formed three new services seminal for the creation of a counterintelligence capacity: a Division of Military Information, which developed internal-security methods later applied to the United States; the Philippine Constabulary that pacified the new colony’s insurgency through pervasive surveillance; and the highly efficient Manila Metropolitan Police.

In retrospect, the sum of their surveillance activities provided the nascent imperial regime with key elements of colonial control: basic intelligence on Filipino leaders and nationalist movements, and scurrilous information about local elites useful in assuring their compliance. Through the clandestine accumulation of knowledge—routine, intimate, or scandalous—about native collaborators, American officials gained a sense of omniscience and also an aura of authority for the exercise of colonial dominion. The importance of controlling these local leaders cannot be overstated. The British Empire expanded steadily for two hundred years through alliances with such subordinate elites and then unraveled suddenly in just twenty years when, as historian Ronald Robinson has written, “colonial rulers had run out of indigenous collaborators.”12

The first US civil governor, William Howard Taft, oversaw the elaboration of these military intelligence methods into a modern surveillance state, creating a colonial regime that ruled by controlling information through draconian libel laws and pervasive counterintelligence. Only weeks after taking office in July 1901, Taft established the Philippine Constabulary with 325 officers, many of them Americans, and 4,700 constables, all of them Filipino. Taft assigned this new force the dual mission of counterinsurgency and colonial intelligence.

The constabulary’s founder was Captain Henry Allen, a West Point graduate who, from an earlier assignment as military attaché at the czar’s court in St. Petersburg, had come to understand the importance of intelligence and a secret police.19 With its network of two hundred Filipino spies, the constabulary’s information division drew its data from intensive surveillance, covert penetration, and the monitoring of the press and public discourse. All this intelligence flowed into the constabulary’s headquarters where it was translated, typed, numbered, and filed in dossiers for ready retrieval.20

Within this police panopticon, the constabulary was systematic in its collection of incriminating information and selective in its release—that is, suppressing scandal to protect allies and releasing scurrilous information to destroy enemies. Among the tens of thousands of reports that crossed his desk, General Allen carried just one document with him through wartime service in France and into retirement near Washington, DC—a DMI report titled “The Family History of M.Q.” Among its many scandalous tales, this report alleged that an influential Filipino politician identified only as “M.Q.” had concealed a premarital liaison with his half-sister and future wife by arranging an abortion and had buried the fetus from a similar liaison with another half-sister in Manila’s Paco Cemetery.21

During the first decade of his political career, M. Q., or Manuel Quezon, then an attorney, served the constabulary as a secret agent and was, in turn, protected from the taint of such scandal. In 1903, future constabulary chief Rafael Crame, then a lieutenant in its Information Division, retained the young Quezon as what he called a “private spy … used in all sorts of cases in the early days of the Constabulary.”22

Since Quezon cooperated fully with the constabulary, the “The Family History of M.Q.” remained safely buried in General Allen’s private files until his death, thereby ensuring Quezon’s unchecked rise to become the country’s first president in 1935 and, after independence in 1946, the namesake for the new nation’s capital, Quezon City.

A straight reading of this is fairly self-explanatory, but you do get the sense that the practices established in the Philippines are the forerunner of what would later become things like the OSS and the FBI, and from there the CIA. Finding out scandalous information about high-profile personalities, and using it to either co-opt such persons or destroy their credibility in opposition, is SOP for intelligence ops.

More specifically, this fits into the broader point of the Philippines being a testbed for various parapolitical plots enacted by the US, where you can draw a through-line from the counter-insurgency during the American occupation, to Edward Lansdale in the Philippines fighting communists, to Edward Lansdale in Vietnam, to the Phoenix Program in Vietnam, to the post-Vietnam refocusing on Latin America, to the post-9/11 counterinsurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan, and so on.

Finally, Manuel L. Quezon isn't even the only Philippine President that was literally an intelligence asset: "Killing Hope" has an extensive chapter on Ramon Magsaysay being so in the pocket of the CIA that he was literally reading off of speeches by his handlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Shear Modulus posted:

Guy learned the high school five paragraph essay and figured he was done

insult to even high schoolers