Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

blackstone sets up a local holding company, whitestone

you joke but that already exists https://seekingalpha.com/article/4553585-whitestone-reit-deserves-conditional-support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Danann posted:

Everything's going to sound like fanfiction to you even if it is pointed out that Ukraine spent a whole month sitting on their thumbs when the Russians were at their weakest in the north or that it took 5 months for them to finally reclaim land from an enemy bridgehead because you obviously don't factor time, geography, or other material effects like manpower and instead make conclusions off of internet vibes.

Yeah, while Russia has been doing very poorly, the flip side is that Ukraine has also been hemorrhaging lives for the better part of a year and Russia still holds large swathes of their territory.

There isn't really any side that is "owning" the other here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say it is genuinely strange how little noise is coming out of Russians about how badly they hosed up in all this, not even their Twitter or telegram psychos are calling for putins head, either putins got an Arab dictators level of control and oppression or he was really successful in tuning out the Russian people from all this.

usually when you lose a war this embarrassingly you get deposed or something but now that I think about it when has failure ever been justly punished

tzar nicholas hosed up way worse than putin before they came for him

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1591864975479304192

Meanwhile Russian nationalists are busy talking about the racoon.

Weird way for me to find out there's over 100 lions and tigers in Crimea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taigan_(safari_park)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

samogonka posted:

uh, Ukraine should crack down on all these nazi patches, i don't want to feel like I'm cheering for nazis

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1591246684520329216
getting a lot of questions about my nazi patch already answered by my nazi patch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it might have already been posted here, but there was one reaction to that thread that was like "I kind of doubt that someone would sincerely wear that patch because even among the SS, they didn't like the Dirlewanger Brigade. They were basically roving bandits. Why would any fascist want to associate themselves with that?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1592113130280456192

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nato is more united than ever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the USA should do terrorism against russia instead of germany and turkey

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maybe turkey terroristed itself? Ever thought about that?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, while Russia has been doing very poorly, the flip side is that Ukraine has also been hemorrhaging lives for the better part of a year and Russia still holds large swathes of their territory.

There isn't really any side that is "owning" the other here.

yeah but ukraine actually has the numbers to pummel away at and push back Russian forces while Russia just sits there. Russia will exit the war with less dead but that’s all they’re going to get out of this

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

putin is banning yaoi

https://twitter.com/vidtranslator/s...umber%3D47pti12

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Watch turkey act like they'll start a loving war!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
apparently death note is banned in Russia. oh big tough russia can't handle some anime lol pathetic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

to show that they could terrorize other countries, if they wanted to

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

to show that they could terrorize other countries, if they wanted to

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah but ukraine actually has the numbers to pummel away at and push back Russian forces while Russia just sits there. Russia will exit the war with less dead but that’s all they’re going to get out of this

I wouldn't say Ukrainian force reserves are infinite, there are comments from the AFU that they pretty much conscripted anyone who could fight without having a completely new cycle of training. It is just on the Russian side there is little appetite for conventional warfare.

Also, it is a good question if Erdogan wants to put a target on his back at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Nov 14, 2022

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1592134651690323972?s=20&t=JjWiOst3QCASCL3ve9Bzug

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
yeah it looks like the Ukranians winning in Kherson is hopefully going to be the natural stopping point of the war, the russians will get the DPR, LPR and half of Zaporozhia and the other bank of Kherson, while ukraine will keep 85% of their country.

hopefully this is the end of this.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1592094995024158724

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah it looks like the Ukranians winning in Kherson is hopefully going to be the natural stopping point of the war, the russians will get the DPR, LPR and half of Zaporozhia and the other bank of Kherson, while ukraine will keep 85% of their country.

hopefully this is the end of this.

Excuse me? You putin puppets are hilarious. Ukraine is going to push Russia out of Ukraine and reclaim all lost territory. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

spacetoaster posted:

Excuse me? You putin puppets are hilarious. Ukraine is going to push Russia out of Ukraine and reclaim all lost territory. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

Wait, I thought anything short of Balkanization of Russia after ousting Putin is unacceptable.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I am not a Putin Puppet.

I'm a Putin GunPla model.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

apparently death note is banned in Russia. oh big tough russia can't handle some anime lol pathetic

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Freezer posted:

Wait, I thought anything short of Balkanization of Russia after ousting Putin is unacceptable.

Russia is Ukraine.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Victoria 3 shows that Kursk and Kuban are Ukrainian homelands and so anything less than Big Ukraine is unacceptable (to go along with Big Israel)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

Victoria 3 shows that Kursk and Kuban are Ukrainian homelands and so anything less than Big Ukraine is unacceptable (to go along with Big Israel)

Also Beylorussian, Russian, and Ukrainian are all culturally in the same group so they just assimilate into the local population :ssh:

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Nov 14, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmfao at Budjak being Romanian

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hmmmm on the one hand... a bigger ukraine... but on the other... a smaller poland... quite the dilemma...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say it is genuinely strange how little noise is coming out of Russians about how badly they hosed up in all this, not even their Twitter or telegram psychos are calling for putins head, either putins got an Arab dictators level of control and oppression or he was really successful in tuning out the Russian people from all this.

usually when you lose a war this embarrassingly you get deposed or something but now that I think about it when has failure ever been justly punished

don’t fight wars politically folks! it’s bad! nasty! you’ll end up a loser! loooooser! I like armies who win! like my guy! mark milley! :chaostrump:

Ardennes did a better job explaining it but it seems you have the causes reversed:

Russia fucks up like this because they are doing things so as little noise as possible comes out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Crimea is Russian

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

This poo poo is so insane

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1591979160817537026?s=46&t=63G3VDkK5EeNCJDXQuzFhg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It’s really awesome how the liberals are now gonna treat neo Nazi ukranians with the same kid gloves as Israelis are treated

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If the Russian government goal was regime change and Ukraine becoming a client state of Russia, and the Ukrainian government goal was survive and maximize control of its own territory, it has clearly resulted in being closer to Ukrainian victory than otherwise so far.

If Russia’s war goals were to leave the Kyiv regime intact and end up with Ukraine even closer to the west and NATO in exchange for conquering some limited pieces of land, Russia would be winning, but that wasn’t the goal at the outset. I guess Russia could announce a change in scope and declare victory.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s really awesome how the liberals are now gonna treat neo Nazi ukranians with the same kid gloves as Israelis are treated

that was a Q&A for a pro-Ukraine documentary directed by an Israeli who admitted he downplayed the far-right in its prequel. You gotta laugh folks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

If ... the Ukrainian government goal was ... maximize control of its own territory,

I would argue that Ukraine is still short less territory than they started with, as of today. The inflection point is really more whether that's worth how diplomatic positions between the various parties has shifted as a result.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would argue that Ukraine is still short less territory than they started with, as of today

You maximize control by giving up territories that you can't :smug:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Ardennes did a better job explaining it but it seems you have the causes reversed:

Russia fucks up like this because they are doing things so as little noise as possible comes out.

Also, the war itself hasn’t caused enough internal damage to cause internal rifts in Russian society. Very few Russians feel that Kherson is rightful Russian clay or even cared about the Donbas for that matter, and Russian society hasn’t changed that much at all. (It is also why I am skeptical about more extreme claims of Russian causalities, I think there would be more internal discord if the army “disappeared”.)

Mobilization has been a much larger breach but for the time being things have cooled off a bit as far more call ups and only a small portion of the reservists have been engaged.

Putin has largely been successful in keeping this a “secret war” and keeping the balance of the casualties on the Ukrainian side, but there hasn’t been much of a broader strategy beyond that. At best you could say the Russians are trying to “bleed out” the Ukrainians but the Ukrainians at the same time are keeping their tempo on point.

Admittedly, the Russians have progressively retreated to more defensive positions over time. Kherson in particular was always vulnerable but at the same time you can’t win only on defense. One could assume for example that remaining Russian territory would force the Ukrainians to engage in hard fought assaults but at the same time one can not count out a political decision forcing a mass retreat on the Russian side.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Nov 14, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would argue that Ukraine is still short less territory than they started with, as of today.

Obviously. I didn’t say either side achieved 100% Total Victory. I said that given both nation’s goals, Russia was the one most obviously falling short of its strategic goals.

I also can imagine a future where Ukraine settles for Crimea and DNR/LPR remain aligned with Russia and call it a victory through survival.

I don’t know how Russia calls it a victory if Ukraine retains its government, aligns with the west for years militarily and economically. Unless Russia just throws up the Mission Accomplished banner and calls it over for internal political reasons.

Or both countries keep up low grade conflict for months/years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

not even close, the neo nazi guy ended up getting scrubbed from the event website and run off Twitter