Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It might've been more palatable if circle was green and cross was red, but otherwise SCEA did a lot of stupid poo poo. Also see Breath of Fire III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh and to bring this back to ABXY orientation, there’s an option in controller settings to swap to the Nintendo orientation. Obviously it won’t change what’s physically printed on your face buttons but if your muscle memory is used to a particular game it could be nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

Nintendo loving sucks for making their stupid ABXY orientation. A is to the left of B in the alphabet gently caress you

Ah, but Japanese reads right-to-left!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I was really surprised this didn’t release as verified. No issues so far, though.

Valve is pretty aggressive about downgrading anything that requires text entry to Playable.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What idiot American Sony executive thought "Well obvioialy cross should mean yes and circle should mean no, mandate all developers reverse it for the American releases"

Probably the same guy who said the american SNES had to look XTREME and HARDCORE

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Neito posted:

Valve is pretty aggressive about downgrading anything that requires text entry to Playable.

Text entry is fine, having to manually invoke the Steam OS keyboard is the problem.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A black list seems so weird for a single player game though...

It’s been heavily suggested that there is going to be some sort of multi player for the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sapozhnik posted:

Probably the same guy who said the american SNES had to look XTREME and HARDCORE

???
The American SNES looks like a Fisher Price toy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

???
The American SNES looks like a Fisher Price toy

Yeah but the real SNES has COLOURS! And we all know colours aren't hardcore or gamer. The problem is they chose grey and purple when we all know the gamer colours are black and red.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, but Japanese reads right-to-left!

Then they’re stupid because Latin-script is read left to right. At best they’re defiant, at worst they didn’t do their research and refuse to fix their mistake

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

is there anything non-obvious that a dev should know about deck support? this guy is asking me for help

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

here are your first SD card deals of the black friday season.

remind me what the speed limit is if you had an SD card that readwrites infinitely fast? the "don't bother past" number

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mescal posted:

is there anything non-obvious that a dev should know about deck support? this guy is asking me for help

Anything WMF is haram, and so is reaching deep into .NET. Especially the former can be a real annoyance, because of codec licensing issues.

It's a porting issue to other platforms as well. Most devs who aren't using unity just use .ogg for audio and something else for video.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

jokes posted:

Then they’re stupid because Latin-script is read left to right. At best they’re defiant, at worst they didn’t do their research and refuse to fix their mistake

Japanese is also read left to right when horizontal so they don't even have that excuse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

njsykora posted:

we all know the gamer colours are black and red.

If the Jaguar and Virtual Boy have taught us anything...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I feel like it was more common with titles near the Switch's launch, and ones where you could reasonably be expected to be playing with a single joy-con.

BOTW does this I think.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A black list seems so weird for a single player game though...

It’s solely to stop people from taking legitimate screenshots that could be mistaken for pre-made game content, instead of just the work of some dickhead gleefully filling out every user-fillable field with a different slur.

Especially if the game does that thing where it stamps a copyright on every screenshot like some titles do now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What idiot American Sony executive thought "Well obvioialy cross should mean yes and circle should mean no, mandate all developers reverse it for the American releases"

"X marks the spot" that you confirm
"sign on the X" that you confirmed

I tried to explain it to someone like "X means no, make the sign with your arms" and "O is like 👌" and they just stared at me and said "that's stupid"

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm thinking about getting a Steam Deck so is the $529 mid-tier model worth it or can I just get the $400 model and get a cheap micro SD card for it? I would probably use the Steam Deck for some games that aren't available (or look/run badly) on Switch (like Deep Rock Galactic) and maybe some emulators if it isn't too difficult to run emulators on the Steam Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spasticColon posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Steam Deck so is the $529 mid-tier model worth it or can I just get the $400 model and get a cheap micro SD card for it? I would probably use the Steam Deck for some games that aren't available (or look/run badly) on Switch (like Deep Rock Galactic) and maybe some emulators if it isn't too difficult to run emulators on the Steam Deck.

Get the cheapest one and use a larger sd card and if you are feeling froggy you can spend $50 to get the 512 SSD replacement and diy it.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I got the mid tier and then a 256 sd card to get myself up to 512, I don't regret my purchase, if I thought I could reasonably afford it I would've gone whole hog and gotten the big one and then split the drive with windows. I probably didn't need all the space I gave myself but it's nice to be able to store a decent chunk of games and put emulated stuff on there and not have to worry about having a few games in progress at a time without swapping.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Fwiw I completely regret getting the 512 model over the 64. I wouldn't bother with the mid tier though. When preorders opened the size of SSD the Deck takes wasn't super easy to come by and weren't much cheaper than just buying the big one, that's not true anymore. SD cards work just fine also until you feel the urge to upgrade the internal storage.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You can get 1tb SSDs on ebay for around $100 now. Zero reason to buy the 256/512gb deck if you're okay cracking it open and reimaging it afterward.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m happy with my 512 because I play outside with it and travel with it quite a bit and the screen really helps with that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but then you could just get a matte screen protector

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but then you could just get a matte screen protector

Is it the same quality as the glass itself being matte? You are adding an extra foggy layer on top of the screen.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I got a 64 off ebay while I waited for my 256 to arrive. Happy with the 256 and sold the 64. The nvme is marginally faster and the 64gb internal disk fills up very quickly. I didn't want to change the internal disk.

I did get a matte screen protector which is great.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are definitely games out there that omit button labels and use graphics that indicate the location of the button you should press.

yeah, xenoblade series as an example has the UI display actions mapped to where the buttons should be on a switch controller-- you can remap with steam input but there will still be hurdles for certain games making stuff less intuitive

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stuker posted:

yeah, xenoblade series as an example has the UI display actions mapped to where the buttons should be on a switch controller-- you can remap with steam input but there will still be hurdles for certain games making stuff less intuitive
Are you saying you're insane enough to map the Switch A button to the Deck A button, instead of just letting it be on the right? :yikes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Animal posted:

Is it the same quality as the glass itself being matte? You are adding an extra foggy layer on top of the screen.

No, they’re really bad in comparison and add more blur.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Are you saying you're insane enough to map the Switch A button to the Deck A button, instead of just letting it be on the right? :yikes:

oh god no, i was just trying to give another example on how remapping won't fix everything. i generally try to go with muscle memory when i'm emulating, but do that too long and then i'll be screwing up stuff for a couple minutes when i boot up a normal steam game

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i put a matte protector on my matte screen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

baram. posted:

i put a matte protector on my matte screen.

Is your name also Matt

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just bought the middle version and have no regrets so far. I like not having to worry too much about storage space, I am wary about the reliability of SD cards, and I am absolutely not prying this thing open if I can avoid it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got the 256gb so Steam games can go on the SSD and shoved a 512gb SD card in for emulation stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Animal posted:

I put a matte screen protector on top of my matte 512 and honestly it looks fantastic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

docbeard posted:

I just bought the middle version and have no regrets so far. I like not having to worry too much about storage space, I am wary about the reliability of SD cards, and I am absolutely not prying this thing open if I can avoid it.

This is me, exactly. I actually just ordered a 256 card, and I'm pretty sure that that will suit me, at least for a while. I barely go through the games I currently have installed, but at least with the card, I'll have no excuse not to have Doom 2016 installed all the time.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I got a 64GB and popped a 512GB MicroSD in there.

No regrets. My approach to installs is that I like to have a few of my GOAT's installed at all times, but I'm quite happy to stream the 2-3 other games I'm actively playing and just delete them afterwards (unless they're good enough to make it to the GOAT list). My needs are well catered for by the smallest capacity Deck + SD card.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it's almost like one's personal preferences decide what model best suits them and there is no "best" one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not really