Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1592110501202481152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ah, another ussr 2.0 post

speng31b
May 8, 2010

do they have that stupid ok sign as a nazi symbol thing that happened in the us

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say it would only be a victory for Russia if there is a long-term deal over NATO membership and arms shipments. That said, I really don’t think they have the leverage for such an agreement.

It is also why a continued conflict would probably be preferable especially if they can force a higher degree of attrition on the Ukrainians. At the same time the Ukrainians know this and that is why they are pushing forward.

(Also beyond infrastructure damage, the Ukrainian state despite some aid is going broke. It is unclear if the US would step it or just allow hyperinflation to occur and let average Ukrainians take it on the chin.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Nov 14, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

do they have that stupid ok sign as a nazi symbol thing that happened in the us

let's dispense with this fiction that Reznikov does not know what he's doing
he knows exactly what he's doing

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

speng31b posted:

not even close, the neo nazi guy ended up getting scrubbed from the event website and run off Twitter

he deleted his account so that people couldn’t screenshot his post history, he wasn’t run off Twitter. even in the replies to the post I linked you see the same old NAFO weirdos saying actually? He’s good. And your Russian rear end smells like drat Putler. and clearly SVA and the doc festival felt it was more important to have a Nazi speak and be hailed as brave and heroic than to just kick him to the curb

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

he deleted his account so that people couldn’t screenshot his post history, he wasn’t run off Twitter. even in the replies to the post I linked you see the same old NAFO weirdos saying actually? He’s good. And your Russian rear end smells like drat Putler. and clearly SVA and the doc festival felt it was more important to have a Nazi speak and be hailed as brave and heroic than to just kick him to the curb

im not arguing with any of that, but comparing it to the deference institutions have for Israel in the US is still not close.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I thought Ukraine already returned Crimea to Russia without a fight.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1591944930867482625

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

It is also why I am skeptical about more extreme claims of Russian causalities, I think there would be more internal discord if the army “disappeared”.

Mobilization has been a much larger breach but for the time being things have cooled off a bit as far more cool ups and only a small portion of the reservists have been engaged.

It kind of reminds me of how Canada promised no Reservists would be sent to Afghanistan, which was fine for doing Bosnia stuff in Kabul, was (“allegedly”) bullied into taking over Kandahar, tried a couple Regular Force tours and realized we were in over our heads, told the public limited qualified Reservists could volunteer, created a program to Strongly Encourage employers to let Reservists deploy, said no Reserve units would deploy as a whole (no whole Regular force units deploy either - Canada uses the Regimental System, the public doesn’t know), and then by 2008-10 at least half, probably more of the manpower, things like all of the helicopter door gunners, everybody doing detainee transport, all of the PRT security details, somehow those are all Reservists.

It wasn’t quite slowly boiling a frog, but it was definitely gaming public reaction. The official line that no Reserve units deployed did a lot to make this fuzzy to people not paying attention, because they didn’t parade to the airport and at homecoming like we did. It was far less visible.

But, lol and this goes back to the Regimental System thing, after the war Reserve units got Afghan Battle Honours. Without going into all of the details, Princess Anne does not fly to your city to present new Colours with “Afghanistan” inscribed on them if you sent one or two guys on an entirely individual voluntary basis.

Canadian Army Units Receiving the Battle Honour "Afghanistan"

Royal Canadian Armoured Corps

The Governor General's Horse Guards
The Ontario Regiment (RCAC)
The Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment) (RCAC)
8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's)
1st Hussars
The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)
The Royal Canadian Hussars (Montreal)
The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own)
The South Alberta Light Horse
The Saskatchewan Dragoons
The King's Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC)
The British Columbia Dragoons
The Fort Garry Horse
Le Régiment de Hull (RCAC)
The Windsor Regiment (RCAC)

Royal Canadian Infantry Corps

Governor General's Foot Guards
The Canadian Grenadier Guards
The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada
The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada
Les Voltigeurs de Québec
The Royal Regiment of Canada
The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment)
The Princess of Wales' Own Regiment
The Lincoln and Welland Regiment
The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada
The Grey and Simcoe Foresters
The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment)
The Brockville Rifles
Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders
Les Fusiliers du St-Laurent
Le Régiment de la Chaudière
Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal
The Princess Louise Fusiliers
The Royal New Brunswick Regiment
The West Nova Scotia Regiment
The Nova Scotia Highlanders
The CapeBreton Highlanders
Le Régiment de Maisonneuve
The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Duke of Edinburgh's Own)
The Royal Winnipeg Rifles
The Essex and Kent Scottish
48th Highlanders of Canada
Le Régiment du Saguenay
The Algonquin Regiment
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)
The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment
The North Saskatchewan Regiment
The Royal Regina Rifles
The Rocky Mountain Rangers
The Loyal Edmonton Regiment (4th Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry)
The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada
The Royal Westminster Regiment
The Calgary Highlanders
Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke
The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's)
The Royal Montreal Regiment
The Irish Regiment of Canada
The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Own)

:thunk:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

speng31b posted:

im not arguing with any of that, but comparing it to the deference institutions have for Israel in the US is still not close.

ah. I misread, sorry!!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

If the Russian government goal was regime change and Ukraine becoming a client state of Russia, and the Ukrainian government goal was survive and maximize control of its own territory, it has clearly resulted in being closer to Ukrainian victory than otherwise so far.

If Russia’s war goals were to leave the Kyiv regime intact and end up with Ukraine even closer to the west and NATO in exchange for conquering some limited pieces of land, Russia would be winning, but that wasn’t the goal at the outset. I guess Russia could announce a change in scope and declare victory.

russian army employing "face to your fist style" tactics

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

The longer this war goes on, I don’t think it is better for the Ukrainians. The Russians are taking hits to the face but the question if they are going to tap out or not.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Russia taking it first to butt, but enjoying it actually.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

well yeah, the win condition was killing Hitler

greatest kill steal of all time, no wonder he's considered history's greatest monster

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Russia lost. game over. wrap it up close the thread by page 110

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

just ordinary men doing ordinary things

https://www.harpercollins.com/products/ordinary-men-christopher-r-browning?variant=32207518924834

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nazis are back and cool. Eat it leftys

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Honestly what’s fascinating to me is how much the history of WW2 will be rewritten in the West to further accommodate the Ukrainians and Balts.

I was furious that they put Ukrainians in Kherson next to Canadians liberating the Netherlands, but how on earth do you explain that to regular people? The narrative of WW2 has already been stripped down and simplified to the extent that you can change pretty much anything about it except Germany Bad and most people won’t know much different.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Nov 14, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1592175344542711809

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin must be removed from power, his assets sent to Ukraine and his family imprisoned by NATO on Wake Island.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1592075036055461888

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the grandson of Stepan Bandera is Canadian

just let that roll around in your brainpan for a while

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why are you surprised at all?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

nato frantically googling a nazi tier list before starting the operation paperclip gacha

Buffer posted:

disappointed that not everyone's SS

Nice

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

all of the banderite orgs that underpin weird nafo stuff people donate to such as st javelin are canadian

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Or both countries keep up low grade conflict for months/years.

it's going to be this, with neither side able to achieve its strategic objectives, neither side having any particular incentive to stop, and everyone loses

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mister Bates posted:

it's going to be this, with neither side able to achieve its strategic objectives, neither side having any particular incentive to stop, and everyone loses

In 75 years its going to be like Korea is now, a militarized line that neither want to cross but for geopolitical, ideological, and internal reasons neither side will ever be able to agree on an actual border, just where each army was when the ceasefire finally held

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine has all the reasons to stop, but the Ukrainian government doesn't.

Every Ukrainian government since the 2014 coup has existed to resolve this conflict one way or another.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

In 75 years its going to be like Korea is now, a militarized line that neither want to cross but for geopolitical, ideological, and internal reasons neither side will ever be able to agree on an actual border, just where each army was when the ceasefire finally held

probably the most hosed up prediction anyone's made itt yet

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Azathoth posted:

In 75 years the United States will have internalized Xi Jinping thought so who is bolstering Ukraine in this prediction?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

In 75 years the United States will have internalized Xi Jinping thought so who is bolstering Ukraine in this prediction?

coast guard?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

a fat neck beard ukranian Nazi is not what I’d call ‘sorry for your loss’ material

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

Almost everyone gets something out of it as well

The US gets to sell a bunch of arms/energy to Europe
Russia stops a NATO buildup from escalating too fast on its border/ties up a bunch of Western resources
Turkey gets to play every side
China gets cheap energy/resources from Russia
The Ukrainian elite gets an elite source of graft
The Ukrainian public gets a new life in the EU
The European elite gets a massive source of cheap labor
The European public gets absolutely nothing, but they seem to be into pain, so count that as a win as well

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Nov 14, 2022

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i will never respect the mods or putin who are one and the same

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Almost everyone gets something out of it as well

The US gets to sell a bunch of arms/energy to Europe
Russia stops a NATO buildup from escalating too fast on its border/ties up a bunch of Western resources
Turkey gets to play every side
China gets cheap energy/resources from Russia
The Ukrainian elite gets an elite source of graft
The Ukrainian public gets a new life in the EU
The European elite gets a massive source of cheap labor
The European public gets absolutely nothing, but they seem to be into pain, so count that as a win as well

Everyone except for the average Ukrainian who's standard of living dropped horrendously and will only keep going down.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

all of the banderite orgs that underpin weird nafo stuff people donate to such as st javelin are canadian

I mean probably the only posting here that would actually really get me in some sort of trouble at work is identifying the levels of integration that have been allowed with a corrupt state with no particular national relationship to Canada, like the CUPP program that puts a Ukrainian intern in every office of Parliament, which you can see as either influence peddling or awfully close to intelligence work.

The Ukrainian national anthem being sung before Canadian sports games this year, the media running cover for Bandera and the OUN, CBC announcing that reporting in Chrystia Freeland’s grandfather is Russian Disinformation even though it’s true, the involvement of CSOR, CSIS and RCMP far outstripping our national interest.

It’s a dark irony that there is sort of a Ukraino-Liberalism at work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"it's gonna be the Korean DMZ but in Eastern Europe" is a long loving border

like, I'm not even saying it's necessarily a wrong prediction, but that kind of fortification is mind-boggling to think about

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I would name it Whiterock, after my favourite Kyiv music festival

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgardsrei_festival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Everyone except for the average Ukrainian who's standard of living dropped horrendously and will only keep going down.

Honestly, I think the end result will probably be much of the population will be force to live in the EU as refugees if the Russians just keep on hammering Ukrainian infrastructure like they are.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"it's gonna be the Korean DMZ but in Eastern Europe" is a long loving border

like, I'm not even saying it's necessarily a wrong prediction, but that kind of fortification is mind-boggling to think about

I doubt it though in the sense the Korean war had at least a ceasefire that allowed the fighting to stop. I don't think either side actually wants that. The Russians don't want to stop hitting Ukrainian infrastructure and other targets, and that means the Ukrainians have to keep pressing their frontline.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Nov 14, 2022