Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hi gang, just gonna crosspost this tidbit from the RLM thread in GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hi gang, just gonna crosspost this tidbit from the RLM thread in GBS

The Ncuti photo freaks me out because, minimised, he's looking at the viewer but, zoomed in, he's suddenly looking... over my shoulder. suspicious

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully none of the Disney stuff has any fallout on Big Finish. If there was ever a time to be glad Russell is back it's when DW does a deal with Disney since he's the one who saved BF before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the round things are gonna be rounder than ever

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Big finish and the bbc signed a contract for them to produce doctor who to at least 2030 and nick briggs said on the 2nd to latest big finish podcast the Disney deal will have no impact on that. Thankfully.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Much like our Welsh Giant savior once held the Big Finish license up over his head and bellowed with laughter at the BBC frantically jumping up and down trying to wrest it away from him, he will do the same to Disney, and God bless him for it :hmmyes:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF's Scott Hancock is leaving BF to be the Script Editor on Doctor Who

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Good for him! He's worked on some absolutely brilliant audios at big finish. Crazy I've been following his Instagram for a while and I thought something might have been up just based on how much rtd all of a sudden started commenting on his posts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well drat, good for him! That must be a dream come true.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Power of the Doctor script

Changes:
- Scenes were placed differently or removed.

- The Spy Dalek is given more background: A Biological Combat engineer assigned to ameliorate defeats in combat with the solution of turning their casing into nukes and destroying the Kaled puppet. The dialog in its first scene is different as well.

- The Qurunx reveal scene in the script has the Doctor be a bit more incompetent, requiring probing from Yaz to figure it out.

- Cut lines state the Master was a) the real Rasputin (which means that Boney M's Rasputin was in reality, about him) and b) the cause of the Tunguska Event. Fittingly, his second-to-last scene has him get shot several times.

- Vinder's lines during his intro scene are different, and said scene is also longer.

- There's a scene in the TARDIS shortly after the Master's capture where he plays mind games with Yaz.

- The scene before the Doctor arrives in the volcano has Yaz say "Pay me that respect" after "Make time." instead of a brief summary of the events so far.

- Ashad has this one badass line: "My army has awoken. And now we shall convert yours." that was replaced with generic Master mocking.

- The Master's lines revealing that he has the resources to force a regeneration is different. Same with the actual line before he does so.

- The Master-Doctor (as the script calls the bodyjacked Doctor) pages Yaz, and she materializes the TARDIS to meet him.

- Deegeneration (the reversal of regeneration) is explained.

- The Fugitive Doctor (identified as Doctor F) has a bigger role, first appearing via the HoloDoctor glitching and getting more lines when in Russia.

- The joke about the lease on the UNIT base was added later.

- There are more lines at the companion meet up.

- Thirteen's final speech is different, and is a bit sadder.

- The script ends without Fourteen's reveal.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Vinylshadow posted:

- The script ends without Fourteen's reveal.

IIRC RTD left Smith's first lines to Moffat to write - was this tradition carried on for Moffat to Chibnall and then again back to RTD?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If someone’s got the new DWM, they could check there, as it has a feature on the last scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clouseau posted:

IIRC RTD left Smith's first lines to Moffat to write - was this tradition carried on for Moffat to Chibnall and then again back to RTD?

I'm pretty sure that is the tradition, yeah. Moffat and his team were in charge of filming Smith's first scene, Chibnall and his team did Whittaker's, and RTD and his team did.... DAVID TENNANT!?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish is offering gift cards once again

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Amazed that there was so much more stuff that didn't get put in, I wouldn't have bet the cutting room floor had much celluloid on it.

Vinylshadow posted:

- The Master's lines revealing that he has the resources to force a regeneration is different. Same with the actual line before he does so.

- Deegeneration (the reversal of regeneration) is explained.

Yet again, I wonder why we needed a scene of Thirteen being shot by a big space laser when you could just say, "Oh yeah, degeneration hosed me up real bad and I need to turn into David Tennant now." You could've gotten this episode in under an hour if you'd just cut out all the repeated elements.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Is this based on that twitter thread by Jamie?

(I'm in a discord with the guy and I suspect he's, like, a clinical narcissist.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RTD explains why David's clothes regenerated

quote:

“I was very certain that I didn’t want David to appear in Jodie’s costume. I think the notion of men dressing in ‘women’s clothes’, the notion of drag, is very delicate. I’m a huge fan of that culture and the dignity of that, it’s truly a valuable thing. But it has to be done with immense thought and respect.”

He continued: “With respect to Jodie and her Doctor, I think it can look like mockery when a straight man wears her clothes. To put a great big six-foot Scotsman into them looks like we’re taking the mickey.

“Also, I guarantee you it’s the only photograph some of the papers would print for the rest of time. If they can play with gender in a sarcastic or critical way, they will.

He added: “We could have the Doctor dressed as a knight, or dressed as God, or dressed as William Hartnell, and the only photo they’d print would be of David in what they considered to be women’s clothes. Then it becomes weaponised — as a mockery of feminine traits, a mockery of drag, of that culture. So that was never going to happen."

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that's ... definitely an explanation

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that's ... definitely an explanation

I think it's actually a pretty well-reasoned argument. There's the possibility of it looking like sneering at certain groups, and even though RTD doesn't bring it up I'm sure he's keenly aware that the transphobic media would find a way to play ball with it. Besides, regenerating clothes pretty clearly signals that something has gone wrong this time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Didn't that same episode have the Master in the Doctor's clothes, essentially to that effect?

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Eiba posted:

Didn't that same episode have the Master in the Doctor's clothes, essentially to that effect?

yes, but that isn't going to be his One outfit that the fandom will have to go on for 6+ months at the end of an episode

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

Russell also didn't have creative control over that part of the ep

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ive finished up reading Doctor Who and the Cybermen, aka The Moonbase, and I have to say of the four books I’ve read so far this is by far the best one.

Relatively it’s the longest adaption of the four, clocking in at a similar length to The Daleks but having been adapted from a four part story instead of a seven parter. The author has taken advantage of the medium to add a good amount of extra fluff to the story, along with expanding the “visuals” and setting beyond the capabilities of the TV show.

The most significant changes:

• The book has the same introduction as The Tenth Planet with some additions, but the same inaccuracies. The book however contradicts these and is faithful to the origins and nature of the Cybermen in the show.
  • The Cybermen presence on the moon is made clear at the start of the book along with the fact they’ve been there for some time, and there is a vast fleet just out of sight from where the TARDIS lands.
  • The moon base is much larger than portrayed in the tv serial, complete with an observation tower used later in the story.
  • The crew is also larger with a wider variety of nationalities.
  • This story also imports elements introduced in Revenge of the Cybermen; they report to a Cyberleader complete with black handles.
  • The moon base crew are familiar with the events of The Tenth Planet and Mondas.
  • It is made clear these Cybermen herald from Telos, and Telos was colonised by an offshoot group from Mondas.
  • The Cybermen also all have names, although only the Cyberleader’s is made known.
  • The Cybermen themselves have had their dialogue altered to be even less emotional than they are in the show (no “Clever. Clever. Clever.”).
  • The deaths of the Cybermen attacked by the corrosive solution are much more violent and drawn out - despite the lack of emotion the Cybermen still feel pain and die screaming.
  • The force that attacks the moon base is much larger than the tv show. They’re also packing energy weapons and begin to cut the base to ribbons after their main weapon is deflected by the Gravitron.

The Cybermen also think like early 2000s SomethingAwful users.

Overall it’s a great TV serial and the book is equally great and I would have to recommend it.

Up next is The Invasion and finding out whether the book manages to convey Kevin Stoney’s marvellous portrayal of Tobias Vaughn.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I had the novelisation of 'The Moonbase' decades before I actually saw the story, so in my head everything was far grander than what was on the screen, which came as a faintly disappointing surprise.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Payndz posted:

I had the novelisation of 'The Moonbase' decades before I actually saw the story, so in my head everything was far grander than what was on the screen, which came as a faintly disappointing surprise.

I read the novelisation of The Happyness Patrol decades before i saw it (or any stills from it) and my mental image of the Kandyman was... We'll just go with "Very Different" from what had actually aired.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Payndz posted:

Same, absolutely loved the book but it built up something in my mind that the story itself - first with the reconstructed episodes, then the animated - could never quite match up to.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Russell T Davies returns to Dark Season as an audio...with Kate Winslet???

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/kate-winslet-stars-in-russell-t-davies-new-audio-drama

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yannick_B posted:

Russell T Davies returns to Dark Season as an audio...with Kate Winslet???

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/kate-winslet-stars-in-russell-t-davies-new-audio-drama

Christ, that's a major get for Big Finish.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Winslet is probably rich enough that she can do projects like this without breaking a sweat.

I'd joke about bringing Terrence Hardiman back in a Demon Headmaster reboot just to satisfy my 90s childhood nostalgia but apparently they already did that a couple years ago.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RTD's also writing his first audio with that Dark Seasons set; everything else (his Lost Story, his Novel Adaptation) was done with him overseeing it, with someone else doing the writing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He did some uncredited writing for one of the Torchwood boxsets as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s a Doctor’s birthday! But probably not the one you were expecting…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

It’s a Doctor’s birthday! But probably not the one you were expecting…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Always puts a smile on my face. He's such a good doctor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I loving knew that was the real reason, even if they'll create a story reason for it.

Part of me says they should have just said, "gently caress it, if they can't handle it, that's their problem, not mine." But I understand where he's coming from as a showrunner who A) wants his moment to land, and B) didn't want it to seem like he was making a joke out of drag.

Plus, it's not like regeneration hasn't changed over time. I've seen the old clips, I saw The Doctor turn into a mummy or something once while regenerating. Changing clothes really isn't that big of a deal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's going to be a plot reason for it anyway. 13 and 14 looked at their clothes changing with surprise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One to Two had their clothes change then as well, so there’s precedence.

Also the vaunted DWM comic that takes place immediately after the regeneration starts with the Doctor going to the 1966 World Cup Final at Wembley, which feels a bit ho hum, rather than investigating why he looks like he used to.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Am I missing something here, because Thirteen's outfit was pretty gender-neutral on the whole.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's fine if it's an actual plot point, but half the fun of a new episode is watching them run around in the previous incarnations clothes for most of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agreed, but given what the British press is doing to trans people right now I'm honestly really thankful Rusty sidestepped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed, but given what the British press is doing to trans people right now I'm honestly really thankful Rusty sidestepped it.

Have to agree here. I did wonder myself if it wasn't an attempt to drive more 10 nostalgia, but reading RTD's explanation - yep, absolutely pro move.