Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

where can i learn more about this

Mobile Suit Breakdown.

They did a deep dive on F91, as is their custom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Tomino when writing Victory: So anyways I started blastin'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbuhT6ogIvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ELDfyuG2CM

Ah, overseas English dubs...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Technically every NA Dub is overseas 🤔

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Technically. But these are more for Singapore or the Philippines. I laughed when I tried watching thr English dub for Build Fighters and Reiji became Rage-y

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One day we're gonna get the Filipino dub of ZZ in complete and the Gundam community can finally rest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A few episodes of it surfaced a few months ago and man. I think the main reason Bandai doesn't want to re-release it is the same reason the movie dubs got buried: They just pronounce stuff weird and incorrect. The dub pronounces Haman the same way you would say a ham and cheese sandwich.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would be surprised if Bandaid even had a copy. If it ever gets fully released I'd assume it would be someone discovering it hidden in an unmarked box in an old broadcast studio in Manila

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they might have an archive of it because I think Rightstuf inquired about it when they were putting together ZZ and they said that Bandai specifically did not allow them to release the dub, not that it was unavailable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

A few episodes of it surfaced a few months ago and man. I think the main reason Bandai doesn't want to re-release it is the same reason the movie dubs got buried: They just pronounce stuff weird and incorrect. The dub pronounces Haman the same way you would say a ham and cheese sandwich.

And yet the 90s dubs with the wonky Kycillia pronunciation remain. And it's good that they do.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I would be surprised if Bandaid even had a copy.

Seems like they've made a boo boo then :cheeky:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they might have an archive of it because I think Rightstuf inquired about it when they were putting together ZZ and they said that Bandai specifically did not allow them to release the dub, not that it was unavailable.

Anybody who has run a property as long as Sunrise is 100% going to have a copy of anything they license out.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Arc Hammer posted:

Technically. But these are more for Singapore or the Philippines. I laughed when I tried watching thr English dub for Build Fighters and Reiji became Rage-y

How else would you pronounce it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Caphi posted:

How else would you pronounce it?

With a softer J for starters. A Regime as opposed to a Raging bull. Yeah that's a G but the principle is the same.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Original at 7:40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVbWfGqxLsM&t=459s

SEA Dub at 13:56:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmAbJZBPpHw&t=836s

The original sounds more like 'reh-jee' than 'ray-jee'. Just localise his name as Reggie and call it quits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What was the name of the Gundam game that was kinda like Mechwarrior? It wasn't the PS3 launch title one, was it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

What was the name of the Gundam game that was kinda like Mechwarrior? It wasn't the PS3 launch title one, was it?

Rise from the Ashes, for Dreamcast. First person, GMs and Guncannons only for the playable suits. Short, but good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Rise from the Ashes, for Dreamcast. First person, GMs and Guncannons only for the playable suits. Short, but good.

Thanks. I was trying to remember it. Looks like it has a good sense of weight that I feel is missing from most Gundam games. Mobile suits are fast but they're still heavy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

robot depression.jpg

e: like the slightly hunched-over look just makes me think it's going "aw man"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 15, 2022

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/tosashin1028/status/1592440854417141760?s=20&t=GCGlC2qyQLamE9zoodGP_Q

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone care to translate? I'm seeing the "cool, mechanical bits" but I'd like to know the artist name.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Looks like that twitter feed is the artist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

robot depression.jpg

e: like the slightly hunched-over look just makes me think it's going "aw man"

The Charlie Brown music is playing as we speak.

(Someone probably told the poor schlub what happens to grunts in Wing.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Another one on the board

https://twitter.com/chardnasty/status/1592505982017769473?s=46&t=S8jLH3HrpBDRE5Zz235iCg

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Gamigin is apparently the Chinese translation, and it'd be Samigina to English speakers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Gamigin is apparently the Chinese translation, and it'd be Samigina to English speakers.

Interesting that it's so low in number when Kimaris is so high. Guess the first Falk was pretty good at keeping himself (or herself) alive back in the day.

I wonder if that Gundam Eight manga they announced last year has been delayed because it ties to the mobile game. Wanting to keep some prequel reveals as a selling point for the phone game would be one explanation for not having it released yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's only been what, 3 years now? 4?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting that it's so low in number when Kimaris is so high. Guess the first Falk was pretty good at keeping himself (or herself) alive back in the day.

All it really indicates is that the unit was made early, not that the pilot survived. He might have killed one or more mobile armors then died, and just had more kills than others by the time the war ended even if he himself was long dead. Or someone else may have started using the unit after the first pilot. Which may not even have been a Falk originally, at least as I understand the history of the Gundam line in the Calamity War. The people that formed the Seven Stars were the ones who killed the most mobile armors and the Gundam they used was kept to their family after the war; that's not to say that no-one else ever used any of the Gundams before them.

Also, apparently Gamigin is an alternate name for Samigina from other translations from the original Greek and not the Chinese name, so maybe that is the intended name after all? KInd of confused at this point after seeing multiple posts on the topic going each way. I suppose we won't know for definite until the unit's name is printed in English somewhere.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 16, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

All it really indicates is that the unit was made early, not that the pilot survived. He might have killed one or more mobile suits then died, and just had more kills than others by the time the war ended even if he himself was long dead. Or someone else may have started using the unit after the first pilot. Which may not even have been a Falk originally, at least as I understand the history of the Gundam line in the Calamity War. The ones that formed the Seven Stars were the ones who killed the most mobile armors and the Gundam they used was kept to their family after the war; that's not to say that no-one else ever used any of the Gundams before them.

Also, apparently Gamigin is an alternate name for Samigina from other translations from the original Greek and not the Chinese name, so maybe that is the intended name after all? KInd of confused at this point after seeing multiple posts on the topic going each way. I suppose we won't know for definite until the unit's name is printed in English somewhere.

It has the Falk family crest on it, and we know that Agnika was able to make it through the war to die at the start of the peace. Someone else making it through the whole run makes as much sense as anything. Meanwhile, the "Someone else got the Gundam!" theory requires very specific circumstances to kill the pilot without leaving the MS unrecoverable.

Plus, surviving from the start would put someone in a better position to get those kills.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

It has the Falk family crest on it, and we know that Agnika was able to make it through the war to die at the start of the peace. Someone else making it through the whole run makes as much sense as anything. Meanwhile, the "Someone else got the Gundam!" theory requires very specific circumstances to kill the pilot without leaving the MS unrecoverable.

Plus, surviving from the start would put someone in a better position to get those kills.

It has the Falk crest on it now, but that isn't to say it always had it. The most likely explanation is that it was the one pilot, but there's no reason it had to be either and if someone ever expanded on things in some official capacity, there could be any number of pilots before the end of the war theoretically. Also, if Agnika and whatever Falk pilot had some of the first units but the Baudain family had one of the last ones (number 66 of 72) then the question becomes how good was the Bauduin pilot to say he managed to make it into the ranks while starting so much later than the rest? And how bad were the pilots of the other early ones to say they didn't? Or were the entire run of 72 completed in fairly short order? Which wouldn't be unusual for Gundam, when the Federation possibly produced dozens of Gundams in a couple of months during the One Year War (depending on what you count).

Plus, you say it would require very specific circumstances to kill the pilot yet leave the unit recoverable, but we know the PD Gundams are tough as old boots to pretty much any damage and pilots are killed while the unit itself is recoverable multiple times in the show. The Gusion pilot is killed, but the Gusion itself recovered, Mika is killed but the Barbatos recovered and mothballed as a museum piece to act as a warning to others and it's believable enough it could happen that McGillis thinks he's killed Gaelio without the Kimaris itself being particularly damaged. All in quite different circumstances. I find it very easy to imagine circumstances in which the pilot is killed, but the unit recoverable given that context.

That said, I'm kind of surprised thinking about it now that none of the other Seven Stars besides the Bauduins showed off their units during the show or had them shown off in post show MSV. It's understandable why Carta Issue didn't have hers, since she wasn't around long enough to recognize she'd need something of that caliber, and you can kind of see how maybe McGillis didn't want to tie himself to the Fareed family one but it seems kind of weird Iok didn't get his at some point. Or that Rustal didn't give his to Julia to act as his champion or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 16, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think a big factor there is that without an AV system a Gundam isn't really going to be any better than the high-end machines they can get anyway. Yeah they have the special drives but the Gundam's basic purpose was to be built with AV in mind, which is why even McGillis gets himself an AV before stealing the Baal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

tsob posted:

That said, I'm kind of surprised thinking about it now that none of the other Seven Stars besides the Bauduins showed off their units during the show or had them shown off in post show MSV. It's understandable why Carta Issue didn't have hers, since she wasn't around long enough to recognize she'd need something of that caliber, and you can kind of see how maybe McGillis didn't want to tie himself to the Fareed family one but it seems kind of weird Iok didn't get his at some point. Or that Rustal didn't give his to Julia to act as his champion or something.

IBO MSV has been remarkably unimpressive. Maybe if the phone game actually comes out they'll start doing more suits for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I think a big factor there is that without an AV system a Gundam isn't really going to be any better than the high-end machines they can get anyway. Yeah they have the special drives but the Gundam's basic purpose was to be built with AV in mind, which is why even McGillis gets himself an AV before stealing the Baal.

Iok doesn't come across as someone wise enough to rationalize that, and the symbolism of it would seem enough for him. Plus, Gaelio already did it. Yeah, he failed (so far as most knew), but still, you'd think at least one more would do it.

Gripweed posted:

IBO MSV has been remarkably unimpressive. Maybe if the phone game actually comes out they'll start doing more suits for it.

Wasn't that what they released yesterday? Or was that something else?

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 16, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, I'd say it's the other way around. Damned near every Mobile Suit is at least theoretically Alaya-Vijnana compatible (which is why Human Debris slave -soldiers became so enormously popular in S2), but twin drives are a unique and unparalleled advantage. Gundams are just straight-up faster, stronger, and tougher than any other machine even before you take control systems into account.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I'd say it's the other way around. Damned near every Mobile Suit is at least theoretically Alaya-Vijnana compatible (which is why Human Debris slave -soldiers became so enormously popular in S2), but twin drives are a unique and unparalleled advantage. Gundams are just straight-up faster, stronger, and tougher than any other machine even before you take control systems into account.

I never got the impression the gap was *that* huge. We're shown plenty of non-twin units being shown as strong/durable/etc as Gundams. The major gap always comes from AV, not the Gundam itself.

It isn't like 00 where the twin drives are basically loving magic. IBO's units have power gaps but it isn't divided into Gundam/NotGundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I never got the impression the gap was *that* huge. We're shown plenty of non-twin units being shown as strong/durable/etc as Gundams. The major gap always comes from AV, not the Gundam itself.

It isn't like 00 where the twin drives are basically loving magic. IBO's units have power gaps but it isn't divided into Gundam/NotGundam.

It's not a hard and fast divide (the Ein and the Julia both managed to stand up to a Gundam as near-equals) but they're still a notable step above most grunts even without AV. That's why Gaelio got his Gundam out of the family vault in season 1.

Edit: Also, the IBO phone game is official released in Japan. Just saw someone's pulls.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/NIN_NIN_G/status/1578917620451274752?s=20&t=95Ov9r_5w9T4hWMx8ClZUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't look that huge a gap because the safeties are on. Mikazuki vs the Hashmal with the gloves off moving faster than thought reflexively to dodge the tail and limbs is what sets a Gundam apart from a conventional MS's performance.