Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fister Roboto posted:

Pure conjecture, though mainly I just don't find the idea of her being an idiot to be a very satisfying explanation. Her actions might not make sense in terms of maintaining a career in politics, but that might not be what she wants. There's plenty of grift to be had as a former senator, especially if she goes for the "the Democrats are just too woke for me now" angle.

Former senators who retire on their own terms after long and successful political careers have lots of different opportunities to grift. Former senators who only lasted one term then got thrown out by their own party before even getting the chance to be beaten by the opposing side? Not so much. I'm sure she'll try to pull a "Dems too woke!" face heel turn the same way Tulsi Gabbard is currently trying to do, but I doubt it'll do much for her (or Gabbard). That gimmick is running pretty thin so you gotta have something extra to make yourself stand out in an oversaturated market, and Sinema's got nothing.

Her being an idiot might not be a satisfying explanation, but based on her actions, words, and current situation it's the one that best fits the reality at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Thinking that everyone in power has some kind of grand plan and isn't just exactly as stupid as they look also strikes me as a kind of conspiratorial mindset.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Clarste posted:

Thinking that everyone in power has some kind of grand plan and isn't just exactly as stupid as they look also strikes me as a kind of conspiratorial mindset.

It kinda goes with the other end of 'trust the plan', '5-D chess' and the general illusion of competency people have with elected figures, liberal ones in particular, where their apparent inaction and failures are supposedly just all parts of the grand plan that you're too immature and impatient to trust in, whoops turns out the plan was to not campaign in Wisconsin.

Basically even if they DO have grand plans, they're likely to be just as stupid and delusional about them as anything else.

If we're lucky, Sinema might make would-be conservadems hesitant about trying to pull a heel turn for an electorate that has zero patience for that poo poo and will get rid of them ASAP.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 14, 2022

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, that’s my point. The scope of “good things” and “their agenda” gets readjusted to whatever can’t pass with the current Senate composition. In this way, any outcome is a suspicious coincidence.

Yeah, I get this feeling too. The figure of merit continually gets adjusted to permit a constant level of outrage over politics.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It kinda goes with the other end of 'trust the plan', '5-D chess' and the general illusion of competency people have with elected figures, liberal ones in particular, where their apparent inaction and failures are supposedly just all parts of the grand plan that you're too immature and impatient to trust in, whoops turns out the plan was to not campaign in Wisconsin.

Basically even if they DO have grand plans, they're likely to be just as stupid and delusional about them as anything else.

If we're lucky, Sinema might make would-be conservadems hesitant about trying to pull a heel turn for an electorate that has zero patience for that poo poo and will get rid of them ASAP.

Who are these people who think elected officials are competent that you are referring to?

That is the polar opposite of every popular conception of elected officials.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Who are these people who think elected officials are competent that you are referring to?

That is the polar opposite of every popular conception of elected officials.

Well for starters did you miss every single time the Democratic Party and their supporters leaned into the Dark Brandon meme?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think the American public at large has much trust in their elected officials beyond the absolute extremes of twitter-brained Dems and QAnon conspiracists. Confidence in leaders has been at like an all-time low for the past decade.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
People will bitch and moan about our systems and leaders for sure, but in my experience at the end of they day they usually still want to pin the blame on someone. Some other, some enemy, without whom things would be running as intended.

The problem is the dems, or the problem is the Republicans. Or our treacherous and cowardly leaders are advancing the cause of some group to displace or usurp people like us. Its the old people, or the young. It's the "elite" (big business or the jews depending on your brain worm level).

I think people like to identify and solve problems. I think they need them to fit within their sometimes limited scope of understanding... we don't exactly have stellar civic/political understanding and engagement, but everybody has a hot take. Finally, "nobody is really at the wheel and we are likely hosed without significantly changing our way of life" isn't an enticing epiphany.

That is how I believe we can be so faithless while still clinging to the supposed "rightness" of our world. From "good/smart people are working hard to fix this" empty hope, to "my God will save us/me and/or purge 'them'" bullshit.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Sharkie posted:

Well for starters did you miss every single time the Democratic Party and their supporters leaned into the Dark Brandon meme?

As someone who follows politics reasonably closely, using NPR and the Washington Post as reference sources, legitimately yes. No idea what this is referring to. But given that you’ve described it as a meme, I’m wondering if we are simply not looking the same places. I suspect that most voters aren’t browsing Twitter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Timmy Age 6 posted:

As someone who follows politics reasonably closely, using NPR and the Washington Post as reference sources, legitimately yes. No idea what this is referring to. But given that you’ve described it as a meme, I’m wondering if we are simply not looking the same places. I suspect that most voters aren’t browsing Twitter.

According to Pew Research, 23% of American adults actively use Twitter and 69% (nice) use Facebook (hmm maybe not nice). To imply that the median voter isn't interacting with memes in 2022 smacks a bit of "internet isn't real life", when for better or worse internet basically is culture in modern times

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Failed Imagineer posted:

According to Pew Research, 23% of American adults actively use Twitter and 69% (nice) use Facebook (hmm maybe not nice). To imply that the median voter isn't interacting with memes in 2022 smacks a bit of "internet isn't real life", when for better or worse internet basically is culture in modern times

Thanks for digging up numbers. I agree the internet is important, but I’m still not convinced that means most users are interacting with the memelords rather than high school classmates and distant relatives or whatever. That’s my bigger issue with Sharkie’s post - I think the broader view of politicians is still a lot more like Herstory’s view of “everyone thinks they’re incompetent” than “everyone is leaning into this meme.”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Thanks for digging up numbers. I agree the internet is important, but I’m still not convinced that means most users are interacting with the memelords rather than high school classmates and distant relatives or whatever. That’s my bigger issue with Sharkie’s post - I think the broader view of politicians is still a lot more like Herstory’s view of “everyone thinks they’re incompetent” than “everyone is leaning into this meme.”

Yeah basically agree, but also people don't have to be on top of the latest hot memes for this stuff to be impactful - boomer minion memes have probably already swung a few elections and I don't know where to begin thinking about that. Many of them are also clearly pushed by state- and non-state actors for their own shadowy purposes, not that Americans aren't terrible enough by themselves, but their innate terrible stupidity makes them easy pickings for low-budget, highly-targeted propaganda mills

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Musk says they had to end remote work at Twitter because the lack of employees using the office cafeteria was bankrupting the company.

quote:

Elon Musk says free employee lunches at Twitter HQ were costing more than $400 per meal because 'almost no one' was in the office

Elon Musk said Sunday that free staff lunches at Twitter's San Francisco headquarters were costing more than $400 per meal because 'almost no one' was in the office.

He said that according to badge-in records, average occupancy in the office over the last 12 months was below 10%, peaking at 25%.

Musk was tweeting Sunday after The New York Times reported that Twitter employees would have to start paying for office lunches themselves.

He said criticism of the move was "especially bizarre given that almost no one came into the office," adding: "There are more people preparing breakfast than eating breakfast. They don't even bother serving dinner, because there is no one in the building."

Twitter spends $13 million a year on food service at its San Francisco HQ, Musk said.

Musk was challenged on his $400 meal cost estimate by Tracy Hawkins, a former Twitter employee. Hawkins' LinkedIn profile says she was a VP for real estate and work transformation at Twitter, with a focus on hybrid working.

Hawkins said of Musk's estimate: "This is a lie. I ran this program up until a week ago when I resigned because I didn't want to work for @elonmusk.

"For breakfast & lunch we spent $20-$25 a day per person. This enabled employees to work thru lunchtime & mtgs. Attendance was anything from 20-50% in the offices."

Musk said Hawkins' figures were "false."

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-free-cafeteria-lunches-cost-400-dollars-each-2022-11

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591885013913849856

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If only innovator übermensch Elong could invent the paradigm-changing technology of "prepackaged sandwich"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Clarste posted:

I don't think that believing someone is not an idiot is a conspiracy theory. Frankly that's kind of a weird leap to make.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what he’s arguing there. The cafeteria is losing money because no one uses it? Are they making a meal for every employee in the company every day and then throwing it out? Why haven’t they tried buying less food or shuttering the whole thing a long time ago? How does forcing them to come in and eat it save money? If no one is in the office, how would charging for cafeteria food help? Is everyone going to be ordered to both come in and pay for a meal and turn Twitter into an old school company town? I feel like I’m missing something obvious here

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The joke-that-isn't-a-joke is that you know a company is a dead man walking when they get rid of the free coffee. Elon Musk is claiming that he's getting rid of free lunches because it's ridiculously inefficient, and not because Twitter is about to go belly up and be sold for parts in a fire sale.

It's not a very convincing argument considering the context.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

I feel like I’m missing something obvious here

He's making up transparent bullshit to excuse his actions. As long as he doesn't straight up say "I wanted people to quit so I dont have to pay severance", he's fine legally, and that's all that matters to him; what we "know" to be true can't be proved.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

I have no idea what he’s arguing there. The cafeteria is losing money because no one uses it? Are they making a meal for every employee in the company every day and then throwing it out? Why haven’t they tried buying less food or shuttering the whole thing a long time ago? How does forcing them to come in and eat it save money? If no one is in the office, how would charging for cafeteria food help? Is everyone going to be ordered to both come in and pay for a meal and turn Twitter into an old school company town? I feel like I’m missing something obvious here

He's saying "Because most of Twitter's staff is working from home, the free lunches are costing Twitter $400 a meal. Therefore, we're forcing everyone to come back to the office and no longer offering free lunches". That's it. And he probably pulled that $400-a-meal number out of his rear end to boot.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sharkie posted:

I think you're confusing irony posting and reminding the right that the left can indeed meme with actual sentiment.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Randalor posted:

He's saying "Because most of Twitter's staff is working from home, the free lunches are costing Twitter $400 a meal. Therefore, we're forcing everyone to come back to the office and no longer offering free lunches". That's it. And he probably pulled that $400-a-meal number out of his rear end to boot.

It reminds of when the Chicago Tribune parent company got bought by a real estate magnate who loaded it with debt, cut employment, vital infrastructure and services to the bone while putting morons who didn't understand the news business in charge, all while effecting changes to make things more like tabloids. It didn't go well.

It's possible to make money as a corporate raider but overpaying, then cutting maybe tens-of-millions in costs while there is tens-of-billions in debt, billions in potential regulatory violations, plus rolling out lovely ideas to make up the difference is not a good business plan.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a single lunch, Grimes, what could it cost - $400?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Randalor posted:

I suspect Elon regularly pays out far far more than $400 a meal, to him $400 is a low number.

As for me, I say let them eat costco pizza

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The only explanation I can find for Elon's decisions in the past week is that he has decided to tank Twitter on purpose as part of an insurance scam.

Musk just publicly fired one of Twitter's Android developers via Twitter for publicly stating that he was wrong about something.

lol at the snitch who tagged in Elon.

https://twitter.com/EricFrohnhoefer/status/1591902285403418624
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591937998551130117

https://twitter.com/EricFrohnhoefer/status/1591990727852298245
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592186302379982849

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

No. Don't. Stop.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure he would have a slam dunk case for wrongful dismissal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna laugh if it turns out the catering contract is indeed costing that much, but because it was some palm greasing situation by previous leadership to get a big donor or politician on board and he's about to get a call he won't pick up because he's too busy memeing and firing people via tweet.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Randalor posted:

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure he would have a slam dunk case for wrongful dismissal.

While the exchange is funny, I’m pretty sure if any of us “well, :actually:”’d our own bosses in a large public forum in the manner this guy did it, it’s pretty good grounds for dismissal not withstanding the fact he’s right about whatever he’s well :actually:’ing about

Guy just seemed fed up and wanted to get fired

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

He's just trying to claim that Twitter had a bunch of completely obvious wasteful spending (and, by implication, that the previous management were way more incompetent than he is), and so it's good that he's making massive cuts.

Cutting back on employee perks such as free meals is a sign of desperation and belt-tightening, so he's trying to frame it as a completely ridiculous expense that no one was even benefiting from. That way he looks like the smart CEO finding totally wasted money in the budget, instead of the flailing CEO desperately cutting everything he can to try to stave off a cash flow crisis.

Incidentally, current Twitter employees have suggested that he's including the rent that Twitter pays on the square footage of the kitchen as part of the cost of providing meals.
https://twitter.com/nickrw/status/1592083472805687297

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The only explanation I can find for Elon's decisions in the past week is that he has decided to tank Twitter on purpose as part of an insurance scam.

Musk just publicly fired one of Twitter's Android developers via Twitter for publicly stating that he was wrong about something.

lol at the snitch who tagged in Elon.

https://twitter.com/EricFrohnhoefer/status/1591902285403418624
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591937998551130117

https://twitter.com/EricFrohnhoefer/status/1591990727852298245
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592186302379982849

This has been an amazing saga
https://twitter.com/EricFrohnhoefer/status/1592198356579016704

Twitter is poison to all but the most elon poisoned brained devs at this point. This will probably happen on a weekly basis at this point.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Big Slammu posted:

Guy just seemed fed up and wanted to get fired

Yeah, if you poke around the guy's tweets, he was pretty clearly well into dgaf territory before the exchange with Musk. This was somebody who decided that giving the boss what he asked for (a public refutation of an uninformed opinion casting blame) wouldn't damage his employment prospects much/enough to offset the satisfaction, and was nigh-certainly already lining/lined something else up.

c.f.
https://twitter.com/softwarejameson/status/1592020681688244226

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lol, watch people/coworkers impersonate other Twitter employees to get them fired. No verification either so who knows who's who!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Main Paineframe posted:

He's just trying to claim that Twitter had a bunch of completely obvious wasteful spending (and, by implication, that the previous management were way more incompetent than he is), and so it's good that he's making massive cuts.

Cutting back on employee perks such as free meals is a sign of desperation and belt-tightening, so he's trying to frame it as a completely ridiculous expense that no one was even benefiting from. That way he looks like the smart CEO finding totally wasted money in the budget, instead of the flailing CEO desperately cutting everything he can to try to stave off a cash flow crisis.

Incidentally, current Twitter employees have suggested that he's including the rent that Twitter pays on the square footage of the kitchen as part of the cost of providing meals.
https://twitter.com/nickrw/status/1592083472805687297

Not that it's particularly needed but I run a private restaurant serving employees at a tech HQ and can confirm that the number is on its face hilarious. My cost out the door before any revenue/subsidy is about $9 per person - food, labor, direct costs like credit card fees etc - per meal.

A buddy of mine ran an extremely high-cost/high-end facility for a tech company in California, at least on par with whatever Twitter is doing, and costs per day were something like $20 per transaction fully subsidized by the employer - out the door for like, made to order omelets with special local ingredients at breakfast and fish/steak at lunch among a broads selection of other things. This also included a high salary cost for a kitchen at a private facility - dietician, execu and sous chef, GM, catering manage plus hourly employee team. Even tacking on kitchen/facility costs (water, natural gas, electric, preventative maintenance, regular maintenance and repairs, custodial service for the dining room, etc) that $400 number is so hilariously stupid.

edit I could actually see the cost per person served being over $400 without including real estate as well, if they were serving very few people and Twitter agreed to continue paying a bunch kitchen managerial salaries, anticipating more people coming back to HQ and needing a ready-to-go kitchen when that happened. My client did this for quite a while and we probably ballooned to $60-$70 per meal served for a few weeks as people were coming back to the office, because both my and my chef's salaries were being paid while we worked to get things back up and running, but were only serving a few dozen people a day. A lot of corporate dining facilities did this. But I really doubt he's being this nuanced.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 14, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why wouldn’t you include facility rent as part of the total cost for the food service though?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Who would actually believe a company cares about the average number pusher to spend $400 per head lol. This is America Elon.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why wouldn’t you include facility rent as part of the total cost for the food service though?

Because the kitchen is in your building, you're not gonna excise that facility just because you stop giving your employees food

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Papercut posted:

Because the kitchen is in your building, you're not gonna excise that facility just because you stop giving your employees food

Maybe you wouldn't, to Elong that probably sounds like a genius move

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Papercut posted:

The bigger problem is that with zero lunches served, with a fixed Kitchen Rent remaining, the Cost Per Lunch KPI is going to be a divide by zero error, bringing down their budget software for the remaining lifetime of the company

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you are offering food in your facility, you already rented or bought the kitchen. The cost is baked in. If you stop offering food, the cost of owning or renting the kitchen doesn't go away. If Elon is including the sq foot of Twitter HQ in that number, the cost doesn't go down because he stops offering free food. It's still there.

Typically, if a corporation wants private dining for their employees, they contract out the work to one of 3 major food service contractors in the world - Sodexo, Aramark or Compass Group (or local/regional companies less often). Larger entities like school districts or very large universities might choose to do it in-house but it usually makes sense to use a contractor as they will be turn-key and also you have someone you can hold accountable that isn't within your organization if they suck. None of these entities are going to pay for your real estate costs to come make and sell (or serve subsidized) food for you.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe you wouldn't, to Elong that probably sounds like a genius move

No joke I have heard of some business dining locations that shut down during COVID that rented out their kitchens to ghost kitchen services lol. No money was made. Also some government facilities were using their kitchen and serving areas for storage until very recently (it was the IRS).

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, if you poke around the guy's tweets, he was pretty clearly well into dgaf territory before the exchange with Musk. This was somebody who decided that giving the boss what he asked for (a public refutation of an uninformed opinion casting blame) wouldn't damage his employment prospects much/enough to offset the satisfaction, and was nigh-certainly already lining/lined something else up.

c.f.
https://twitter.com/softwarejameson/status/1592020681688244226

Maybe the "I like to start around 11" was a little too cheeky. Other than that, I can't see how that exchange was in any way "insubordination", unless the company policy is "Elon Musk is literally infallible". Which, given what I've seen, might very well be official company policy. Otherwise, all I saw was an employee giving a detailed answer about why Twitter had performance problems on Android, and possible solutions to that.