Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This person should buy an account and make a house thread.

Did the goon from Alaska move to CO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

Excited to know my old spray-foam plan is no longer the weirdest itt

You wanted to fill in a hollow door, right?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That's a pro click. Garage made of railroad ties with 1/3 of the floor still dirt with an oil change pit. Interior appears to be clad in pallet wood(?). His very specific contact instructions are pretty awesome too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You wanted to fill in a hollow door, right?
Yes, it was hollow metal and I wanted some noise mitigation (it opened onto the hallway of my apartment building). I did not do it

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I had to break down an interior door because my friend's toddler managed to lock himself inside the room, and it was weird as hell.

8 foot tall door made of solid oak, but the bolt turned out to be in the trim, which was made out of MDF. I was fully expecting to have to throw myself into the door a bunch to get it open, because we had no idea that it was so janky.

Who the hell installs a big rear end door like that, puts in a lock, and then half-asses the actual locking mechanism? Interior locks are weird in general to me, but especially one like that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

binge crotching posted:

I had to break down an interior door because my friend's toddler managed to lock himself inside the room, and it was weird as hell.

8 foot tall door made of solid oak, but the bolt turned out to be in the trim, which was made out of MDF. I was fully expecting to have to throw myself into the door a bunch to get it open, because we had no idea that it was so janky.

Who the hell installs a big rear end door like that, puts in a lock, and then half-asses the actual locking mechanism? Interior locks are weird in general to me, but especially one like that.

It was a keyed lock, not a privacy lock with a way to unlock from the outside? That's creepy.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

so is this a Poopopticon or a Panpoopticon?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

Even more crapper construction! The Chia toilet! https://v.redd.it/vbg48qadg1f91

Ali Spagnola has made quite a few questionable decisions in her time.

Here are a few that fall into the "crappy construction" theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAz91k63Q9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGWElTor3w4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHVPfhJOr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqtK2RliCfo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

LvK posted:

Panopticrapper

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

StormDrain posted:

It was a keyed lock, not a privacy lock with a way to unlock from the outside? That's creepy.

Yep, she's had the house for many years, and just left the key in the lock because she didn't want to lose it. I guess her 3 year old finally decided to play with it, or at least play with it after closing the door, and couldn't figure out how to open it again. I'm surprised he was able to even turn it in the first place, since it hasn't been oiled in who knows how long.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Yooper posted:

That's a pro click. Garage made of railroad ties with 1/3 of the floor still dirt with an oil change pit. Interior appears to be clad in pallet wood(?). His very specific contact instructions are pretty awesome too.

Yeah, the scrap pallet and plywood theme is at least consistent. I also enjoyed the 14/2 or whatever just slung around the house like it's an italian kitchen.

I'm sure he's an interesting guy, but that house was a knockdown when it was built. I admire his persistence, but I would never set foot inside.

Also that sheet metal wrapped around the tree is probably hiding a nice split.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That makes me angry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

binge crotching posted:

8 foot tall door made of solid oak

I’m glad that you didn’t have to destroy that door.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LvK posted:

Surveiller et chier

[translated into English as Discipline and Flush]

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I see SOMEONE has decided to make fun of me in the title (it was H110Hawk).

This, thank god, is not in my house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I'm the particle board risers.

Also, something something Ghost Ship fire.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 15, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

kid sinister posted:

papa, what is "limb entrapment?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

CHEP wants to know your location.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also that sheet metal wrapped around the tree is probably hiding a nice split.

My dad used sheet metal on his almond trees to try to keep the squirrels from climbing up and taking his nuts. Maybe its to keep animals out (for whatever reason)?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Were the squirrels always at his nuts? That sounds aggravating.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
never trust a squirrel, they'll bite your nuts

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Please tell me that's a door in the upper right.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
pvc window by the looks of it, but probably one you could use as a door if you tried

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

`Nemesis posted:

Somewhere in Utah
Salt Lake Valley definitely, though I can't really see enough of the mountain on the right to judge how far south it is. Could be Holladay, Midvale, or Sandy - suburban hell basically. House is facing west.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Screams Sandy to me.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

If it's stupid and it works, get it the gently caress outta here

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

When some shifty person comes to replace the copper pipes with plastic in order to resell the copper later they'd end up improving this mess significantly.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I've hired a structural engineer who is going to come take a look on Thursday. Over the phone he told me it sounded like most of the issues were due to how dry it's been and the fact that there are several extremely large oak trees in the neighbor's yard. He charges $450 but I think it will be money well spent if it helps my husband stop freaking out.

So it turns out that most of my issues are due to it having been extremely dry for months and there being several extremely large oak trees in the neighbor's yard. My house is not in imminent danger of splitting in two. There's one place on the outside of the house where water might be getting in that I'll need to patch up, but overall most of the issues are cosmetic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
You'd best get to watering the grass then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

You'd best get to watering the grass then.

Or at least the foundation. That’s a thing here in my piece of Texas. So much clay in the soil (like, immediately below the surface. I only have about an inch or two of “dirt”, then something that is either goo or rock hard :quagmire: depending on the rainfall) that everything shrinks and swells substantially. A barely-buried soaker hose on a timer attempts to keep the soil immediately under the house from moving around too much.
Pretty much every house in the neighborhood over a decade old has had piers installed (and most of the houses are form the ‘60s.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You're making me real happy I happen to reside on a huge hunk of solid rock.
thank you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

and the rains came a-tumblin' down :sax:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So building a proper foundation is not the solution?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If I'm going to pay someone to dig a foundation, I might as well get this entire room demolished and rebuilt properly and get a patio poured at the same time. In the meantime I will use spray foam to keep out the cold air and snakes.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

In the meantime I will use spray foam to keep out the cold air and snakes.

Thread title change request

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I am using the foam properly! It's not strucutra!l Why is everyone so mean to meeeeee

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You've had a home disaster and made the title, it's the thread version of getting jumped in :cheers:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://i.imgur.com/RGIrSx4.mp4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I'm reminded of an old Canadian-based reality show from... I don't know, mid to late aughts, I think, called "Canada's Worst Handyman."

Boy howdy, were there a LOT of people on that show who, when given circular saws, table saws, jig saws, hand saws, etc... still were trying to reach for a reciprocating saw for precision cuts every. drat. time. Even after being told time time again they're for demo work.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
CWH was an amazing show. Watching some meathead try to fix down bathroom vinyl using a nailgun shooting headless brads never gets old :allears: