Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Get everything. Everything. In writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yea if I gave a company the opportunity to counter offer I'd require some sort of golden parachute in writing. No matter how trustworthy they may be.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or do the thing everyone else does and keep looking while using your raise / new title to leverage an even better offer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Get everything. Everything. In writing

:yotj:

Oh yeah. Got it in writing just now. Also finagled an annual 6% bonus on top of the one year retention bonus!

I wouldve never guessed opportunities like this would be available to me as a dumb 20 year old help desk guy that just knew about computers so he could setup LAN parties.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know the general wisdom is to never accept the counter offer, but I've seen them work out more often than not. YMMV of course it really depends on the culture at your org

If the only issue you have is compensation, and forcing their hands with an external offer gets HR and upper management to get off their rear end and take care of you, and you're immediate management is happy to do it, it can work out pretty well. In my experience, direct management wants to take care of their employees. Their hands are often tied several levels above them for budgetary or other reasons. I've never seen anyone hold a grudge against someone for signing a counter offer or label them a flight risk and look to replace them. Everywhere I worked just wants the employee happy and work done.

If there are other issues with the job, money doesn't fix those. In my experience new money soothes the bullshit for about 6 months before it wears off.

Counter offers are a one shot deal though, you can't ever really go back to that well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

as an argument against taking the counter offer I present exhibit F

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If I were that guy, I would already be planning on going by my middle and growing a beard in the future. I would also delete all social media.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Do not patch your domain controllers, this month’s patch can break Kerberos.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-kerberos-authentication-breaks-after-november-updates/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, we're holding off on this months patches. They know about it and are supposedly working on it.

This guy owns Kerb at MSFT and is a good twitter follow to stay up to date on it if one is so inclined

https://twitter.com/SteveSyfuhs/status/1590417822030917632?s=20&t=eaZ2rmfy--ejuhE6dBapFA

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:yotj:

Oh yeah. Got it in writing just now. Also finagled an annual 6% bonus on top of the one year retention bonus!

I wouldve never guessed opportunities like this would be available to me as a dumb 20 year old help desk guy that just knew about computers so he could setup LAN parties.

Good for you, man. I tend to be cynical about this sort of thing which is why I advised against, but I totally understand. Here's hoping the company was dealing with you in good faith, because if so all that extra feels pretty good.

I think you'll find that most places are a shitshow in some form or another, it just depends on what genre you're most tolerant of, if you will. If the people you're working directly with are good, it's a lot easier to not care about stupid decisions the executives make.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Some days I legitimately enjoy bringing a toolkit to a customer service request then hearing them ooh and ahh as I swap hardware out on their laptop. I guess not everybody gets to see computer surgery in person.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Had a job interview and I guess it went fine but man I dunno if I want to work for an MSP after being internal IT for 20 years. They really gotta knock my socks off with pay and benefits.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

GreenNight posted:

Had a job interview and I guess it went fine but man I dunno if I want to work for an MSP after being internal IT for 20 years. They really gotta knock my socks off with pay and benefits.

You probably don't, but don't worry because they probably won't.

(statement void if you have a very specialized skillset working with a very specialized MSP)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Spoiler: they won't, unless you've been criminally underpaid

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Accept new job and also the counter. Come on people join the 2 job club!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/sta...ingawful.com%2F

I love him. Read the comments. The guy comparing graphql to rpc is awesome.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
loving lmao

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

There’s a reason large/complex systems are difficult to radically change. Elon about to gently caress around and find out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Obviously Elon intentionally spent $44 billion to have Twitter as his own personal IT fidget spinner, so he's really just a really rich genius and not at all a loving moron. :rolleye:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
This really feels like the last time he did anything was during PayPal and is looking at everything and snorting with derision “that’s now how we did it in my day!”

*rips out load bearing beam*

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Elon gonna rip out everything and move it to Docker for Windows

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
He turned off sms he just made the platform more secure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The most secure environment is one that nobody can log into.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ptier posted:

This really feels like the last time he did anything was during PayPal and is looking at everything and snorting with derision “that’s now how we did it in my day!”

*rips out load bearing beam*

I was reading an interview from one of the founders of Lucid Motors (formerly from Tesla, made the Model S) saying that one of the reasons he started Lucid was because Elon would look over designs, ask "is this something other manufacturers do?" and then demand they change it. He didn't care if other manufacturers were doing it for good reasons, he only cared that Tesla did it differently and because of that elements of the Model S were compromised.

Seeing what's happening with Twitter, I get the impression he is doing the same thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does that explain the door handles

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I watched a video from an edison guy talking about electric semi trucks

It was him going down a list of parts, calling out how every piece has been standard across many manufacturers for decades and how tesla is loving up because they're doing custom parts for everything

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Does that explain the door handles

It explains why the turn signal makes fart noises.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
ya'll are overthinking it, Elon is a massive moron who thinks he's a genius, presumably because being rich fucks your brain up since nobody IRL is going to call you a loving idiot. Add to that decades of a cult of personality and legions of redditors telling him the haters are all bots and I'm sure he genuinely thinks everything he does is 5th dimensional galaxy brain judo.

The rich should all be in one institution or another imo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Fool posted:

I watched a video from an edison guy talking about electric semi trucks

It was him going down a list of parts, calling out how every piece has been standard across many manufacturers for decades and how tesla is loving up because they're doing custom parts for everything

It’s like the nazis and their insane uniforms/helmets.

Which if you haven’t seen is a great couple of posts

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910305&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=152#post505365729

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel really weird about comparing parts standardization in semi trucks to nazi uniforms.

Not sure the point you're making

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

The Fool posted:

I feel really weird about comparing parts standardization in semi trucks to nazi uniforms.

Not sure the point you're making

I think the point that he is making is basically: don't re-invent the wheel when the wheel is literally already on the truck and the truck is driving down the road.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone have that list of LinkedIn tips handy? Friend of mine is changing careers and I'm trying to help him get up to speed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Anyone have that list of LinkedIn tips handy? Friend of mine is changing careers and I'm trying to help him get up to speed.

Not what youre exactly looking for, but in my experience:
  • Completely filled out profile.
  • Jobs listed have description and buzzwords that are easily searchable, mention big flashy projects or impressive work.
  • Good profile picture and background.
  • Get a couple of endorsements (dumb but helps I think).
  • Spam those connections.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bonzo posted:

Don't have the list handy but for the love of Christ never ever put your own phone number on LinkedIn. There's a scraping service that keep track of that kind of information. Despite only having my number online for about a week over a decade ago, to this day I still get a shitload of recruiters calling me without ever having given them my number. Don't be like me, use a burner.

Also, how do you freelancing goons keep your resume from being 10 pages long and still provide info on when/where you gained specific expertise? I try to list 1-2 bullets per gig with responsibilities, achievements and tech stack but I'm getting old and the list is becoming way too long.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
  1. Have a good picture
  2. Have your Headline be a couple bullet points that make you seem cool. Put your desired job title here and not what you currently are, along with some relevant stuff. I did the title I wanted, some bullshit things people like and are related to that position, a leadership trait and a hobby I'm proud of (thru hiker) Example: "Senior DevOps Engineer, Solutions Architect, People Empowerment, Fart Huffer"
  3. Your About section essentially is the summary of qualifications paragraph you probably have in your resume of why you're cool. In addition have a bulleted list of bullshit terms and key competencies that will be captured in a recruiter's search.
  4. Have ~3 of your best points from your resume under each work experience. I went with 3 and the generic "This company is blah blah blah" that every company page has. You want to give some of your resume away but not all of it. Let them be intrigued by what you've shown.
  5. Education and certs. Add them
  6. Recommendations. Give them out to everyone you know and try and get some back.
  7. Bad at words? Look up people in the positions you want and steal from their profiles. Zero shame in this.
  8. LinkedIn skill tests. Do them, they're easy.
  9. Connect with any and every recruiter you can find. Join groups.
  10. Be active on the platform. You don't necessarily have to post your own content but at least respond and like stuff.

I think this is the list. I don't know who I copied it from originally, it was just in my notes app.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There used to be a list of questions to ask companies you're interviewing with. Anyone have that handy?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

There used to be a list of questions to ask companies you're interviewing with. Anyone have that handy?

quote:

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role

translation : are you working with a well-defined team that puts out consistent work or is this place a clusterfuck with people coming and going on a weekly basis because management is incompetent

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

translation: are the people making decisions that impact your work accountable to you / your team and do you have the ability to influence them or are they dictated from on high or even worse forced upon you by a hostile entity

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

translation: if they say 'uhhhhhhhhhh' here it's a red flag. if they throw gibberish at you it's not a red flag but it's not a good look either. this should get a human bean answer

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

translation: same as the last one.

- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here

translation: they should also be able to answer this without thinking. if they hesitate or bullshit you it's a red flag

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

translation: what qualities are people here impressed with. what caliber of candidates are you also considering.

- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?

translation: every job has some bullshit aspect to it. this is their chance to lay it on softly and your chance to decide if it's a particular brand of bullshit you can put up with

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

translation: are you going to work me like a slave when we don't hit the deadline we never agreed to

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's great. I have a 2nd interview with this MSP which I'm extremely hesitant about joining, due to them being a god drat MSP. We'll see.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Got an absolutely cursed request that I am trying to implement in the least damaging way.

Lab System A is running windows 7. Client application requires UAC to be set to “never notify”. System must be connected to the internal network in order to operate, so air-gapping is not possible.

My gut reaction was a horrified “pls no” but we gotta move forward, any suggestions? Already planning to close every non-essential port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

App13 posted:

Got an absolutely cursed request that I am trying to implement in the least damaging way.

Lab System A is running windows 7. Client application requires UAC to be set to “never notify”. System must be connected to the internal network in order to operate, so air-gapping is not possible.

My gut reaction was a horrified “pls no” but we gotta move forward, any suggestions? Already planning to close every non-essential port

What does it need to talk to on the LAN specifically?