Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Yeah Twitter is almost certainly a very complex beast with a lot of legacy code that doesn’t do anything, at a glance.

Like our very own load bearing slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Random Stranger posted:

It's going to turn out that some of that stuff was load bearing in ways that only two people at the company might have understood, but they've been fired.

It will take days for some cache to timeout that's at like ISP gateways or something strategically. That is when the problems will start coming up but since so much has been turned off between they'll never think it was the widget they'll be looking at MacGuffin.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591842546216763399?s=20&t=xMGQS0Wsg6-8ZJ_EUwfiYQ

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2019-08/5/8/asset/c547be18f72b/sub-buzz-159-1564992285-1.png

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Laughcrying Doucheman, All You Can Tweet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Random Stranger posted:

I had to double check if this was a fake account. Well, how popular was Twitter in those countries, anyway? Who needs those people who won't pay $8?

you are somehow completely misreading that tweet
he's complaining that the app takes too long to load in india (due to all the microservices ad bloat)
that's why he's now suddenly ripping all that poo poo out with no warning and no foreward planning. it's an attempt to reduce bloat and improve loading times

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

huh is he gonna publish the algorithms remember he said they should be open sourced

"the algorithm" is probably an inscrutable AI model that does whatever it can to make engagement number go up

chuds expecting to find the "if conservative then shadowban" gotcha are in for disappointment

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Could it be that the ad servers in India are just too slow?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Sylens getting the chance to laugh at and mock Ted Faro in real time

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
https://twitter.com/dogeofficialceo/status/1592187054892503040

No idea if this is real. No surprised either way

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/ericfrohnhoefer/status/1592198356579016704?s=46&t=3WTqKftRQPZGf3T34liTbw

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Yeah Twitter is almost certainly a very complex beast with a lot of legacy code that doesn’t do anything, at a glance. But of course if you fire over half of the staff and most of your contractors, the pool of people in the company who can say “oh man don’t turn that off, it’s important” is dwindling to zero. (Then again, Musk would fire anyone who would say that to him anyway.)

I have no doubt twitter’s code is not well optimized in some ways. The answer to that is a slow, carefully planned infrastructure revamp over the course of years, not just turning random microservices off.

That all comes to a head during big events such as the World Cup where every mitigation and loan balancing strategy are leaned on to the absolute limits.

It is super weird to see this middle-aged billionaire tech mogul approach optimizing a globe spanning communication platform in the exact same way 16-year-old me "optimized" Windows on the family Dell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ad servicing in India must be painful. Just working out what language to deliver ads in would be an arse.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chrpno posted:

Well I've got a good idea, just put a nice little SPST switch that overrides, disconnects and disables the whole steering system. Just put it next to the volume controls or on the indicator stalk, nice and convenient. PORBLEM SOLVED

gently caress. are you a Tesla engineer because that is too good for that company. You need to explain to Melon Husk why changing the current assembly process to do that would be good even though it will not instantly give him 1 billion dollars.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

mysterious frankie posted:

It is super weird to see this middle-aged billionaire tech mogul approach optimizing a globe spanning communication platform in the exact same way 16-year-old me "optimized" Windows on the family Dell.
This virus scanner is slowing the system down and this firewall keeps blocking limewire so I’m turning them off.

They don’t even do anything.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chrpno posted:

Well I've got a good idea, just put a nice little SPST switch that overrides, disconnects and disables the whole steering system. Just put it next to the volume controls or on the indicator stalk, nice and convenient. PORBLEM SOLVED

maybe instead of putting an insanely stupid "stop the steering wheel from working" button in a car that will inevitably kill someone without 5 different safety systems to keep it in check you could just uninstall the lovely phone games from the tablet display

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

yook posted:

This virus scanner is slowing the system down and this firewall keeps blocking limewire so I’m turning them off.

They don’t even do anything.

Imaging that time I ended explorer.exe to free up resources, except Bill Clinton saw and wrote my mom a letter strongly condemning my actions.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1591482835822866433

We were, but I think most of us were assuming 2023, not like "Maybe tomorrow"

I really need more Shaxx and Zavala dramatic readings; between Lance Reddick and Lenny James *anything* can happen.

*narrator voice* Your appointment to FEMA has been finalized

Hey goons, I'm reading this Elon guy handling things. You remember how I posted that actually-functional business plan for Tesla a few pages ago?

(1) Would you drive an electric Miata?

(2) Would you be more impressed with Tesla as a company if it weren't run by a dude whose life's work suffered compromise from dying on Mars to dying on Twitter?

(3) Did you know that a trick to delicious fluffy belgian style waffles is to separate the yolks and beat the egg whites to merengue or stiff peaks before you incorporate it into the rest of the batter?

Vote Waffle House.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 14, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Twitter is surely feeling more alive, much like a corpse that has laid by the side of the road for a few weeks will.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

maybe instead of putting an insanely stupid "stop the steering wheel from working" button in a car that will inevitably kill someone without 5 different safety systems to keep it in check you could just uninstall the lovely phone games from the tablet display

No

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Poil posted:

Twitter is surely feeling more alive, much like a corpse that has laid by the side of the road for a few weeks will.

I'm reminded of that futurama episode where Bender was turned into a human and partied until he died "whooo

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Every MMO feels hyper alive as the remaining player base does a /dance in the lobby while the servers are being shut down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it possible to read replies to a tweet sorted by latest or is that only possible on searches? Twitter was already poo poo before Musk bought it so I'm not expecting much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Poil posted:

Sometimes....dead is bettah

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Whats the chance half the poo poo he's turning off for novcious reason is the advert delivery systems resulting in adverts not being shown resulting in remaining advertiser's either not paying him or demanding a refund

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
High.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Whats the chance half the poo poo he's turning off for novcious reason is the advert delivery systems resulting in adverts not being shown resulting in remaining advertiser's either not paying him or demanding a refund

no idea but we can only hope

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Data Graham posted:

But I was told their panic-drop in stock price had nothing to do with the tweet

It created panic within Eli Lilly.

quote:

Inside the real Eli Lilly, the fake sparked a panic, according to two people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. Company officials scrambled to contact Twitter representatives and demanded they kill the viral spoof, worried it could undermine their brand’s reputation or push false claims about people’s medicine. Twitter, its staffing cut in half, didn’t react for hours.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Getting in a public twitter fight with your boss has always been a career-limiting move

OTOH getting fired by Elon Musk rn because you publicly disagreed with his idiocy is probably a great career move.

It's like being a lawyer and getting fired by Trump, and then Trump starts bad-mouthing you and saying you wouldn't do a bunch of crazy illegal poo poo he wanted his underling to do. And everyone else is like "oh I guess this guy must be a good lawyer".

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Lmao you could sniff out who still works for Twitter and spoof some DMs critical of Musk, post at him, and get randos fired. Incredible

Ooh somebody do that woman who bragged about sleeping on the office floor

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Like when you flip on the light and there's a roach in it's death throes, but as you go to step on it, adrenaline kicks in and uses the last glycogen it's body will ever make to sprint away, and die under your cabinet.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I really really dislike this elon muska fella, he seems like an rear end in a top hat

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hell, he was probably already looking to get out and saw this as a great way to get fired and collect unemployment.

goatface posted:

Ad servicing in India must be painful. Just working out what language to deliver ads in would be an arse.

Probably what the microservices were supposed to do.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:thejoke:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 14, 2022

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I could buy that Twitter was overstaffed in terms of the ratio of soulless career bootlickers that please Musk to people who just want a healthy work/life balance, but I can't conceive of what Musk's goal is here, unless it really is to destroy Twitter from within, investment be damned.

That frankly is the only explanation that makes any sense, but it doesn't square with other entities getting involved in the financing, unless they simply had no foresight that this was going to happen.

Every decision he has made has alienated advertisers, and it's clear - or at least his tweets suggest - that these are the most important people to him. He's not even appealing to the right, as many feared, he's just indiscriminately flushing pieces of it down the toilet with every passing moment.

We're through the looking glass on this one.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

This is a good way to ensure no one ever wants to work for you again I guess

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

or we just turn it off and turn it back on

just yank that thing out and blow in it

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

crime weed posted:

the screenshot version:

What a pair of bootlicking fucks

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Durzel posted:

I could buy that Twitter was overstaffed in terms of the ratio of soulless career bootlickers that please Musk to people who just want a healthy work/life balance, but I can't conceive of what Musk's goal is here, unless it really is to destroy Twitter from within, investment be damned.

That frankly is the only explanation that makes any sense, but it doesn't square with other entities getting involved in the financing, unless they simply had no foresight that this was going to happen.

Every decision he has made has alienated advertisers, and it's clear - or at least his tweets suggest - that these are the most important people to him. He's not even appealing to the right, as many feared, he's just indiscriminately flushing pieces of it down the toilet with every passing moment.

We're through the looking glass on this one.
Musk's goal is to improve Twitter and make it super profitable. The problem is he's such a gigantic idiot and colossal narcissist that his ideas are terrible and he won't listen to contrary advice, or surrounds himself with yesmen who won't give him contrary advice. I absolutely believe he's trying his best. It just happens that "his best" is indistinguishable from an arson lighting things on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Musk's goal is to improve Twitter and make it super profitable. The problem is he's such a gigantic idiot and colossal narcissist that his ideas are terrible and he won't listen to contrary advice, or surrounds himself with yesmen who won't give him contrary advice. I absolutely believe he's trying his best. It just happens that "his best" is indistinguishable from an arson lighting things on fire.

Or to put it more succinctly:

Hanlon's Razor posted:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.