Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, the thing is that doing this intentionally means he's doing it by making himself a figure of ridicule in the public eye more and more every single day for weeks/months on end. I can't see him willingly do that, he's far too fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This smells strongly of panic and desperation. He's not calming down until he's had a few weeks outside the madness, so this is going to blow up first.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I'm not a businessman by any means, but it's bizarre how he went in swinging dick and went to SLASH EVERY EXPENSE and not just trim some fat, looking for ways to cut expenses and increase revenue. I suppose it's a testament to how lovely the deal he made is, how unprofitable Twitter is and the fact that, like many say in this thread, he's a narcissistic dipshit who happened to make the right investments at the right time until now.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I think Musk has correctly identified that ad-centrism is the root cause of most of what makes social medias awful. Mind you, like all of his "insights", it's something that a lot of actual serious and believable people have been saying for years. The ultimate goal of weaning off twitter from ad revenue, or at least the current dynamics of it, somehow is something that is 100% needed.

He seems to be doing the equivalent of "If we act as if we were in a post-racism society, then racism would go away". Transition plans are clearly not something he does, and he doesn't seem to realize that twitter absolutely needs one in order to survive.

So he takes his idealized "vision" of how twitter would be eventually operating in "steady state" in 5 years (efficient, thin, popular, profitable, independent, etc), and goes: Let's just pretend we are there already. Any effort spent building anything else is a waste since it won't be part of the final product. This is obviously stupid, as a social media platform can never be a self-contained system.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 14, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think there is a realistic way to move past adds without replacing it with something that’s just as annoying or maybe worse

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he thought this one was one he could solve himself. Not hiring business professionals to run it day to day, but stepping in, taking the reins and showing everyone how much internet techboom know-how he gained at Paypal. Really show that he's more than just a big-promising investor.

Prove he has the big boy business skills that will make his ex understand just how great a person he is.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

:same: Lance.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Well the alternative is charging users to use the platform which tends to self limit as you run out of people who wants to register. Look at SA for instance. It was huge when the internet was small and now is slowly contracting.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well the alternative is charging users to use the platform which tends to self limit as you run out of people who wants to register. Look at SA for instance. It was huge when the internet was small and now is slowly contracting.

This site is a reverse Goatse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aramis posted:

I think Musk has correctly identified that ad-centrism is the root cause of most of what makes social medias awful. Mind you, like all of his "insights", it's something that a lot of actual serious and believable people have been saying for years. The ultimate goal of weaning off twitter from ad revenue, or at least the current dynamics of it, somehow is something that is 100% needed.

He seems to be doing the equivalent of "If we act as if we were in a post-racism society, then racism would go away". Transition plans are clearly not something he does, and he doesn't seem to realize that twitter absolutely needs one in order to survive.

But he wants ad revenue. He's been telling advertises that everything is business as usual and they should totally keep giving him money

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

But he wants ad revenue. He's been telling advertises that everything is business as usual and they should totally keep giving him money

I mean, at the very least half of this sentence is a bald-faced lie, so I wouldn't give much credence to the rest.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Side note/random question:

Has the SA forums been seeing any uptick in new users with people leaving Twitter?

Some little part of my dumb brain would love to see a huge influx of twitter refugees to this site.

Someone needs to get to recruiting!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Here you go, the worst yet.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Aramis posted:

So he takes his idealized "vision" of how twitter would be eventually operating in "steady state" in 5 years (efficient, thin, popular, profitable, independent, etc), and just says: Let's just pretend we are there already. Anything effort spent building anything else is a waste since it won't be part of the final product. This is obviously stupid, as a social media platform can never be a self-contained system.
That's a fair critique. What is strange, though, is that his opening gambit is to try and monetise the whole verification system. Like, I can get how that could be a revenue stream, but the consequences from a half-assed implementation were so obvious that I can't believe no one - including Musk - thought of them. That people would immediately imitate brands and notable figures is something everyone would have reasonably forseen, yet it happened anyway. I find that completely surreal, especially given how extremely online Musk is. Of course it's entirely possible - and probable I'd argue - that he just shouted down any criticism and ordered people to implement it.

The fact Twitter has only turned a profit in 2 quarters in 16 years of being incorporated suggests quite clearly to me that the problem of monetising the service to a sufficient level is enormous.

Frankly, if Musk had only paid the going rate for Twitter - estimated to be ~$8b - he'd still be facing trying to reinvent a loss-making company in a way no one prior to him in 16 years had conceived of. As it is, with debt servicing at ~$1b a year, it seems like an entirely impossible task. Your average Twitter user is not going to pay anything at all to consume the content, much like how they don't when using YouTube, etc. Ads are pretty much the only way to coax any money out of the hundred million odd actual users who post nothing at all.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Roblo posted:

lol, and, lmao

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Roblo posted:

You know, at first, I thought that the FBI did not have an official panty raid department. However, they are verified, so I guess they are credible and their opinions are valid. Good on Elon for following directions from a government agency for once.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 14, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Roblo posted:

Advertisers are gonna love verifying accounts as bots by determining if said account talked poo poo to the fat kid Nazi murderer

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Roblo posted:

jeeeeesus loving christ lmao

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jesus Christ the stans and chuds in that thread just cheering Elon on as he burns it all down.

Revins posted:

I really really dislike this elon muska fella, he seems like an rear end in a top hat

He doesn't just seem like an rear end in a top hat...
He's the real deal.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Or to put it more succinctly:

Hanlon's Razor is always in effect.

Jesus, it's alive!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Roblo posted:

So is Rittenhouse saying he's going to kill journalists 'in minecraft' basically?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Literally got fired for saying "You're wrong".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Roblo posted:

Never mind the "verified" bullshit, Kyle, my dude, any seething hatred directed at you is very well informed and VERY rational.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I wonder if Elon thinks he's being subtle about his shift toward right-wing mouthpiece.

On one hand it's massively obviously because he's only boosting moronic conservative talking points, but at the same time he seems to be hedging all of his statements like "it really makes you think about things..." rather than just coming out and saying the Dems suck, as if he's fooling everyone by not being too blatantly partisan.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/HydrationChimp/status/1592010058376040449?t=2zsU3y6L06RvR4r8cH28_Q&s=19

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

crime weed posted:

the screenshot version:

Elon senpai, I opened my kimono. Please respond.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ror posted:

I wonder if Elon thinks he's being subtle about his shift toward right-wing mouthpiece.

On one hand it's massively obviously because he's only boosting moronic conservative talking points, but at the same time he seems to be hedging all of his statements like "it really makes you think about things..." rather than just coming out and saying the Dems suck, as if he's fooling everyone by not being too blatantly partisan.

That ship sailed a long time ago. He's been explicit about the left in general, and Dems in particular, sucking for a while now.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526997132858822658
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519735033950470144

If he's fooling anyone at this point, it's mostly himself.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592157179037249536?s=20

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/sandofsky/status/1592223884107218944?s=46&t=qdp5HbWWfO4jeLlOSNpH1g

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

elon this is your lawyer. me and your other investors are begging you: keep posting this poo poo

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Elon sure post in response to a lot of questionable people on the right.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

doesn't this guy have a few businesses to run or dozens of kids to spend time with instead of posting to twitter all day?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why would he pay attention to people who disagree with him?

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

elon this is your lawyer:eightbux:. me and your other investors are begging you: keep posting this poo poo

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Aramis posted:

It's also a huge problem with journalism too. The ad-based revenue model is a cancer winding its way through society.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, I know nothing about the kind of systems something like twitter uses, but I spent a good while working in games QA, and one thing I learned along the way is that if things are working, don't start stripping out code that apparently does nothing, it never ends well.
Once place I worked, they found something that literally appeared not to interact with anything else, and seemingly had no function at all.
They took it out and every loving thing broke. It was like some kind of talisman.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1592216447329382400

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

*stoking beard* Ah, and right on cue we see a preemptive puppetmaster defence. How droll.

e:

loving lol. My staff turn up when they feel like it and poo poo gets done. They're not working a production line who cares (control freaks. Control freaks give a poo poo).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 14, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...How is this clown real?

It's like a 4chan algorithm gave birth to a person :wtc:

Does Twitter have amy advertisers left?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TulliusCicero posted:

...How is this clown real?

It's like a 4chan algorithm gave birth to a person :wtc:

Does Twitter have amy advertisers left?

Tesla and Star Link just purchased their first ever twitter ads! Twitter is gaining new advertisers it is growing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think there is a realistic way to move past adds without replacing it with something that’s just as annoying or maybe worse

Oh, there is, but it results in an expensive product that doesn't work well in an economy which is chasing growth potential more than profits or just plain old growth. If you have a lot of users and your platform is based on ads (or selling user data), you have the potential of reaching every single user in the world and monetizing that. You don't need to be profitable, just make the markets believe you can turn a lot of users into money at some point in the future.

A platform based on a monthly subscription is quite obviously not something you can sell to everyone in the world. Even if the company is profitable and/or has decent growth - that kind of business model isn't really interesting to investors, unless they believe the growth can somehow be leveraged into monetizing the size of the user base.

So moving past ads requires a more sane economy that doesn't have such an absurd fixation on potential. In a world where investors look for companies that are profitable right now, non-ad services can thrive more easily. In other words, when we hit a recession or at the least get an economy with a better balance of capital and assets, we can move past ad and hype-driven companies.

As for Twitter - I think it's a good idea to make it profitable right now - I assume that is what Elon Musk is trying to do. It's going to cost him a fortune to do so - and I'm not sure it's helpful to be so openly antagonistic in public, but hey it's his billions to waste. I think ads will be part of creating profitable social media - sadly so - because most people won't pay the subscription fees or micropayments necessary to avoid ads. But I do think there is a future for ad-free social media, at the very least as an opt-in. I do not think there is a future for "you are the product" - except as a very low profitability sector with massive competition and eventually a host of distributed technologies will appear that make the currently dominant "type" of social media companies obsolete.