Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Without the first panel this is most of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I once got in an argument with a flat-earther. It got so heated that he swore he was going to go walk off the edge of the world just to prove me wrong. But I know he'll come around eventually.

:)

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 04, 1954)

:china: 1/3
:china: 2/3
:china: 3/3

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

:china:

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/13/02

Brenda Starr 10/31 - 11/2/49

Smokey Stover 3/25/51

Everyday Movies 10/14/35

"Confound it! Why can't those lovers neck in the vestibule instead of this self-service elevator?"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goatface posted:

Without the first panel this is most of my life.

Carry On Wayward Son used to be one of my favourite songs for a long time before I stopped to think about it and realized how well it described me as well and how it probably immediately spoke to me on some subconscious level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0

Maybe one day I too can lay my head down and rest.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The_Other posted:

From a few pages back but I just wanted to thank EasyEW for posting this. I always find it interesting looking at the earlier years of legacy strips. I also wanted to post a link the this article about the history of Blondie by the late comic historian R.C. Harvey. Might be of some interest to readers of this thread.

quote:

According to an article in The Saturday Evening Post (April 10, 1948), Young “steadfastly refused” to be “bullied” by “skittish readers” into getting the Bumsteads twin beds. “He holds, and the fan mail he gets from clergymen sustains him, that twin beds constitute a major threat to the solidity of marriage. He is very stubborn about this.”

Does anyone have a link or access to this article? I'd be interested in reading it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Carry On Wayward Son used to be one of my favourite songs for a long time before I stopped to think about it and realized how well it described me as well and how it probably immediately spoke to me on some subconscious level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0

Maybe one day I too can lay my head down and rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzecKumufM&t=86s

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ROCK KEEPS ROCK
BOTTOM GETTING BOTTOMER

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good Listener posted:

I don't see the harm in letting your employees use the "make static electrical energy by being petted" machine. lovely cat boss.

Digging how usually when we refer to the "cat boss" in the thread it's about a completely different character who would never admonish his furry employee for engaging in such behavior.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: The Urn

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Nero was indeed mentioned in Solver 7 – here, in fact – but no more was revealed. Perhaps we will find out more next time. Once Claire is done screaming.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (September 30-October 6, 1985)

Bullwinkle

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Red Gryphon

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I had to run my AC all weekend and this morning it was below freezing. Everything's fine.

The_Other posted:

Solver: The Urn

Delighted once again by the deployment of Claire's lisp to indicate her level of excitement

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

We just need more oblique references to climate change drawn by women cartoonists mansplaining old men.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 10, 1935)

Peanuts (November 17, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

So we brought Ruby back just long enough to get rid of her once and for all. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 15, 1939)

Out Our Way (April 29-May 1, 1940)

Spoilered for being a skinny-dipping comic with some vaguely uncomfortable energy behind it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ghostlight posted:

When Ball died I followed up with his estate to see if they were planning to rerelease any collections since even here in New Zealand they've been out of print so long the only place you can possibly find them is second-hand stores (tbh primarily because I wanted a good source to post here). They said they were focused on getting strips digitised and up on the website, but given the pace that's seemingly progressed at and that it's been half-a-decade with no news I unfortunately suspect the estate is largely running on fumes and far from courting a publisher.
For whatever it's worth, I've been saving each day's FF I post since that time a few months ago when the site was just dead for like 4 days, so at least I'll have something left if it dies and doesn't come back. I also have like 3 thin collections of it I got in a vintage comics bundle a while back.

Honestly a lot of the comics in this thread would just kind of vanish into thin air if they suddenly stopped being on Gocomics/CK/whatever. :smith:

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Gonna need Red & Rover out here, cuz I have no idea if this is supposed to be a joke or utterly mundane exposition.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pancho Jueves posted:

Gonna need Red & Rover out here, cuz I have no idea if this is supposed to be a joke or utterly mundane exposition.

Are we gearing up for a week of Supply Chain Comix?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Didn't seem Iris was in all that much danger. I suppose she might have been pulled off the cliff but she wasn't exactly leaning way over the edge.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

The noises that must be coming through that door...

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You know that's actually a good comic and a good twist in today's Trail and all but

Really? We're gonna get blueballed on the combination elephant/tiger rampage? Boooooo!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Haifisch posted:

Honestly a lot of the comics in this thread would just kind of vanish into thin air if they suddenly stopped being on Gocomics/CK/whatever. :smith:

I won't go into too much details, but I've been working on archiving the complete run of "Arnold" for something, and I even managed to get the syndicate to send me scans of the comic (after I paid them $$$), and oof, comic strip preservation is hugely complicated.

Making it worse, while the syndicate had majority of "Arnold", they didn't have everything, especially the Sundays, and I had to look through newspaper archives to fill in the blanks.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

9cl check-in

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Some Guy TT posted:

Does anyone have a link or access to this article? I'd be interested in reading it.

I was able to find the article, "The Dagwood and Blondie Man", on the Post's website. It was the feature article for that issue so you should be able to read it for free, although the Post's reader is a little cumbersome

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

So we brought Ruby back just long enough to get rid of her once and for all. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
Women be quittin'! Though to be frank if these chucklefucks were my contemporaries I'd be in her shoes.

Necromonger Rules But Dumber

And so it came to pass that Kell was the new CEO of Herd Thinners. I must graciously and humbly welcome you all to hell.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think these ended up in reverse order.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hostile V posted:

Women be quittin'! Though to be frank if these chucklefucks were my contemporaries I'd be in her shoes.

They made her draw, ink and color a cover for a book she isn't even working on. gently caress these assholes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Us and in-setting fans will always have memories of Ruby's amazing contributions to the Funky Cinematic Comicsverse, like... uhhh....

Come on, surely she helped them make up some of the League Of Absurdly Boring 4th Tier "Rejected By City Of Heroes Players On A Lazy Creative Day As Too Generic" Losers, right? No? Uhhh... I think I vaguely remember Wayback Wendy got a cover, which was mentioned and shown once like two years ago, mirroring Ruby's fate.

Man, imagine if Batiuk intentionally hated women! Then again it's not like most of the others in his strips get off much better. Thanks for dying, Saint Lisa! And that gal who gave Les the freaking Oscar... he has to unintentionally think these are all character moments, right? Jeez, and there's the nice lady everybody inexplicably hates in Crankshaft too.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 15, 2022

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Persona 5 (2016, Various)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm convinced the Out Our Way guy is "currently" suffering brain decay on the level of Charles Boyce. How are two kids talking about another kid watching them skinny dip "empire builders?" He just wrote random nonsense that meant nothing at this point because he no longer understood the meaning of words. It's literally the only thing that makes sense.

BigglesSWE posted:

Looking forward to Sunday with the inevitable “Strong Female Character standing up for the environment” fake cover, coupled with a tip of the feltcap to some guy who drew it, since no women artists would pick up the phone.

It's not like it was hard to call this I guess, but I'm still going to give you credit for it. Jesus Christ, he couldn't get a single actual woman to draw the cover for his "woman artist drawing a cover" storyline? Then again I guess there's no reason to ever have expected TomBat to actually respect women given the strip's entire history.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm convinced the Out Our Way guy is "currently" suffering brain decay on the level of Charles Boyce. How are two kids talking about another kid watching them skinny dip "empire builders?" He just wrote random nonsense that meant nothing at this point because he no longer understood the meaning of words. It's literally the only thing that makes sense.

Goldie is the "empire builder" and the other two are self-aware lugs, as per the character dynamics established and worn into at least a year of strips. The one boy jokes that Goldie is admiring his strength because Goldie himself is so preoccupied with being a smart businessman type that he neglects physical training. The other boy points out that Goldie is so god drat smart he's fated to become a businessman that uses his mind to bamboozle strong laborers into making him a fortune.

:shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

I'm glad the Sad Bear got to be not sad for a minute. :33:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Twelve by Pies posted:

Other way around. The swimmers are imagining that the kid reading the book is a (would be) empire builder, because why else would he be reading instead of having fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 13, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 14-15, 1992)

Big Nate

No we don't. We have exactly zero work to be done here. Leave him alone Nate.

Blind Alley