Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

That's what she says in the interview. The higher pitch was coached, but the increased sassiness was in response to fan feedback.

I hate higher pitched voiced characters as a whole, but they're pretty much a staple in anime.

Yeah I'm not a fan of just directly imitating those kind of tropes from English to Japanese. I feel like how Cassandra Lee Morris voices Sothis from Fire Emblem or Morgana from Persona are better ways of doing that kind of sassy character in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
How would the old voice be harder on the vocal cords?

Reminds me of this classic Scrubs scene

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

That's interesting because I'd figure the new Paimon voice was the extremely high pitched and breathy one and her old was more natural. At least based off that clip the old is way better, but that's also why I play with jp voices.
As a bonus, the Japanese VO lets you fully appreciate the difference between the Liyue characters' Mandarin names and their Japanese cognates. Sometimes it's easy to see how they're related. "Xiao" == "Shou" and "Ganyu" == "Kan'u" are straightforward enough. And then there are the ones you need a PhD in 1,000 years of Sinitic etymology to understand, like "Keqing" == "Kokusei" and "Ningguang" == "Gyoukou".

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 14, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

As a bonus, the Japanese VO lets you fully appreciate the difference between the Liyue characters' Mandarin names and their Japanese cognates. Sometimes it's easy to see how they're related. "Xiao" == "Shou" and "Ganyu" == "Kan'u" are straightforward enough. And then there are the ones you need a PhD in 1,000 years of Sinitic etymology to understand, like "Keqing" == "Kokusei" and "Ningguang" == "Gyoukou".

It's always fun when there's the one that just isn't changed, like Yun Jin or Yelan. But then another newer character like Shenhe is Shinkaku

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Xiangling is just "Shanrin", too. I assume there must be some logic to which scheme they use for who, but I don't know what it could possibly be.

Like who the UI refers to by their full name instead of just their given name. Most of the Inazuma characters, but not all of them, and then randomly Hu Tao and Yun Jin.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FractalSandwich posted:

I assume there must be some logic to which scheme they use for who, but I don't know what it could possibly be.

Japan took its writing system from China originally, meaning its kanji characters are 1-for-1 copies of old Chinese written characters. In Japanese, most kanji have both a Japanese and a Chinese reading -- the same meaning either way but 2 (or more) pronunciations, with different ones being used for different words. For example "一" is the symbol for the number 1, and it can be pronunced either as "ichi" or as "hito-" depending on which word it is a part of.
But the 'Chinese reading' is based on the ancient Chinese when Japan yoinked their alphabet a few thousand years ago so it can still be different from modern Chinese, e.g. with Shenhe or Ningguang.

In the JP translation of the game, Inazuman and Liyuean chaacters use the same written names with the same characters as in the original Chinese.
Names from Liyue get the (Japanese-speaker) Chinese reading of the characters while names from Inazuma get the Japanese reading.

Names for monstadt characters are based on the phonetic pronunciation instead.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 14, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does the UI in Chinese display their full names? Or is it just a direct translation of the English version? Do they display the full names because they have more wordplay (i.e. Walnut)?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They don't have extra family names added in the CN version that aren't in EN, if that's what you're asking.

You can switch the UI language on honeyhunter to see all the different localizations for characters' names, for example Jean in Traditional Chinese is just . The fact that they don't list her as "Jean Gunnhildr" is a stylistic choice, and it's the same for all languages.

Also it's a Chinese game so if anything the English version is a translation of the Chinese version.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In the JP translation of the game, Inazuman and Liyuean chaacters use the same written names with the same characters as in the original Chinese.
Names from Liyue get the (Japanese-speaker) Chinese reading of the characters while names from Inazuma get the Japanese reading.
They don't always, though. That's what I'm saying. "Shanrin" is a Japanese adaptation of the Modern Mandarin "Xiangling", not the Japanese cognate pronunciation of 香菱, which would be "Kouryou".

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Give all the liyue characters courtesy names imo. Just make poo poo as confusing as possible

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, another Childe/Tartaglia situation please.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
all the archons we've met already have three names and that's not even counting the ones with doppelgangers with fuzzy "kinda sorta the same person but not really" circumstances like Raiden and Greater Lord Rukkhadevata

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Yes, another Childe/Tartaglia situation please.

Don't you mean Ajax? :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Scaramouche, Kunikuzushi, and just for good measure WANDERER.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So has anyone tried an Archon Team yet now that Nahida is out? In my head it should work pretty drat well. Nahida puts out bonkers Dendro application for Raiden to gets plenty of Aggravate procs off of and Raiden's skill probably lets Nahida get in some Spreads in the other direction. Zhongli shields/res shreds and Venti groups up enemies and provides further res shred with VV.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all the archons we've met already have three names and that's not even counting the ones with doppelgangers with fuzzy "kinda sorta the same person but not really" circumstances like Raiden and Greater Lord Rukkhadevata

Yeah, that reminds me...wasn't Nahida called Bule or something in one of the quests? Like...literally 2-3x and then never again? What

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, that reminds me...wasn't Nahida called Bule or something in one of the quests? Like...literally 2-3x and then never again? What

Buer, the name of a goetic demon sometimes portrayed as a disembodied lion's head with five rotating legs.

Every Archon has a goetic demon name, rarely used (although not unheard of) among their subjects, seemingly assigned when they became Archons. Notably the only non-Archon (as far as we know) character to follow this scheme is... Paimon. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 14, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Her Goetic name is Buer. Though I'm not sure what are the other archons with three names. Barbatos/Venti, Morax/Zhongli, Beelzebul/Ei/Raiden Shogun(though the Shogun is also her own character), and then Buer/Nahida/Lesser Lord Kusnali.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zhongli is also Rex Lapis. I might have just been mistaken about Venti / Barbatos, he doesn't seem to have a non-goetic popular name beyond "the Anemo Archon."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Eimi posted:

Her Goetic name is Buer. Though I'm not sure what are the other archons with three names. Barbatos/Venti, Morax/Zhongli, Beelzebul/Ei/Raiden Shogun(though the Shogun is also her own character), and then Buer/Nahida/Lesser Lord Kusnali.
Rex Lapis is zhongli's third name. For Venti it's Barsibato (Bartobas).

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
There's a few other goetia names floating around. The only ones I remember ATM are Orobas (Orobashi, the chopped snake) and Marchosias (Marchosius, god of the stove. Born from a spark when stone struck stone).

I remember when there were fake leaks that the the pyro archon was gonna be Marchosias and was gonna be an expy of some honkai character or another. And how it got debunked in the funniest way :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

We do have the Hydro archons Goetic name already, Focalors, which is interesting given Focalors was notable for wanting to return to heaven and was tricked for a thousand years until they found out about their betrayal. :thunk:

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

We do have the Hydro archons Goetic name already, Focalors, which is interesting given Focalors was notable for wanting to return to heaven and was tricked for a thousand years until they found out about their betrayal. :thunk:

Well, we know her thing is Justice, and Dain's summary of Fontaine chapter is"[she] desires to judge the other gods, but even she knows not to make an enemy of the divine/will of the heavens", so all signs point to Fontaine Archon quest getting into Celestia's dirty laundry at least a bit!

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Buer, the name of a goetic demon sometimes portrayed as a disembodied lion's head with five rotating legs.

Every Archon has a goetic demon name, rarely used (although not unheard of) among their subjects, seemingly assigned when they became Archons. Notably the only non-Archon (as far as we know) character to follow this scheme is... Paimon. :v:

The goetic names are likely their "original" ones. It seems to be all gods that have them, not just the archons, though some have been camouflaged. Havria is a feminized version of Havres (better known as Flauros), Orobashi is Orobas, Guizhong is probably Gusion, Osial might be Ose. But others are unaltered, like Marchosias and Decarabian.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's kind of weird to refer to her as Lesser Lord Kusanali now that Greater Lord Rukkhadevata has been written out of history

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

it's kind of weird to refer to her as Lesser Lord Kusanali now that Greater Lord Rukkhadevata has been written out of history

It's another translation error born of at-the-time intentional story ambiguity they can't really correct now. In Chinese her title is more like "Little Lucky Grass Lord Kusanali".

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I hit this scaramouche boss in the feet for 5 minutes and then he dies for no apparent reason. 3 weeks now I got only 2 boss mats which aren't the Nahida strings. :argh: Good thing I have 90 dream solvent.

Mihoyo your weekly bosses have sucked ever since Azdaha and I don't even care what dumb gimmick you want me to do. Make more weekly bosses like Childe please.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fungus pokemon event was cool imo. Pretty funny that Yae makes you think that she was a master hacker who countered the device then cyno reveals in his letter that a bunch of akademiya nerds actually did it lol

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Sanctum posted:

I hit this scaramouche boss in the feet for 5 minutes and then he dies for no apparent reason. 3 weeks now I got only 2 boss mats which aren't the Nahida strings. :argh: Good thing I have 90 dream solvent.

Mihoyo your weekly bosses have sucked ever since Azdaha and I don't even care what dumb gimmick you want me to do. Make more weekly bosses like Childe please.

I tried to do the mechanics in the first phase just to see what they did, but I messed it up and got Bennet killed and it threw off my rotations for the other 2 phases. Lesson learned, just DPS.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from the weakened story version, every time I fight it, I get most of his health depleted and have to shoot it a couple times with Ganyu to finish it off.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's one other character that has a Goetic name... Amy

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Yeah its dumb. You're not even supposed to really attack him in the 2nd phase until the end. You want to just run around and collect the crystals to power up your floating buddy and shoot your Kamehameha blasts at him to break the shield. Destroy the turrets during his one shot move, collect those crystals, and blast him out of it. Then zipline up to him when he staggers and hopefully finish him off with all your bursts.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The 'mouche fight feels like a transformers commercial trying to sell a digimon.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

This week I hit his feet zero (0) times. You just do the boss mechanics and when he drops down, when his super move fails, you get your energy completely refilled.

I got him pretty painlessly with Klee/Nahida/Zhongli/Bennett. Didn't bother to do mechanics in the first phase and got him within a Benny burst. Didn't bother to do anything EXCEPT mechanics in the second phase and got him within a Benny burst. Don't know if Nahida did any damage? She was just there to pop the cores. Maybe an aim shot Collei would be better, I dunno.

Kinda funny how efficient Klee is at beating up the robo-siblings back-to-back :kimchi:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do you guys think the Welkin moon or the battle pass unlock is a better value for the money? is it worth buying both?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Welkin is just really good primo value spread out over a month. If you don't mind throwing the $5 a month at the game it's absolutely worth it.

Battlepass more depends on how your resources look. If you are getting it to high levels it can be worth it because it's a great source of money and both weapon and character EXP. The smattering of talent books can be useful as well. The BP weapons are all varying levels of good to great but it highly depends on what characters you have and what you might need. Deathmatch is one of the few actually good 4* spears and Serpent Spine is competitive with some 5* claymores.

The short version is Welkin is always worth it and Battlepass can be if you are progressing it to high levels and are hard up for some resources or want one of the BP weapons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nyaawn posted:

Do you guys think the Welkin moon or the battle pass unlock is a better value for the money? is it worth buying both?

It's hard to say what it's worth to you, but it's 3,000 primogems as long as you log in every day at a good value. Gives you a lot more leeway in wishing. As for the battle pass I buy it because I think it's worth it for 10$, I see it as basically an mmo sub and I think playing the game is worth that. You get a lot of mats and the guaranteed weapon which is nice, all the BP weapons are at worst case "usable". You do have to get it to 50, but I've been consistently finishing it a week or two ahead of time since I play every day. Never feel like I'm grinding.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nyaawn posted:

If I think I'm gonna play enough to finish the pass -or at the end of the season if I finished it, I buy it.

The welkin is a better value if all you need is the gems for pulls. If the resin, 4 star weapon, and exp books are useful go for it.
I also like that the timesink to finish the Battlepass isn't at the "you need to sink a full time job into the game to complete it" level of commitment like some games.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Just found out that my beloved high uptime, low CD, no burst needed hydro applicator DOES already exist in the game :woop:

It's charged shot C4 Childe :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Welkin is the better value, in that it lets you get more characters, which pretty much is the game.

Battlepass gives you a huge jump in your ability to level/outfit those characters. Without it, you just spend alot more of your daily resin grinding for exp books and mora.