Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

nate fisher posted:

I just checked and I’ve see every Kubrick movie but Barry Lyndon. No idea why I haven’t since I’m a Kubrick fan and many of his movies I’ve seen multiple times (Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Dr. Strangelove at least 10+ times). I will correct that this week after reading this last page.
Then now's a nice time to check out Blank Check: they just concluded their latest miniseries which is all about Kubrick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I just saw that Clone High is coming back next year on HBO Max. I never expected that show to get a second season 20 years later but now I’m excited

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Taking off Malick, A Hidden Life is on Hulu and I haven't watched it yet. He'll yeah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sexy Irishman is stupid

Great watch

I just started watching season 4 and I hate this cop bastard so much.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Haven't really been on the "Weird Al" bus since Dare to be Stupid (very loosely followed his work up through nowish). Last week I noticed on HDtracks, the soundtrack had 2022 versions of his earliest hits and bought it on those alone (which are great!), but still wasn't interested enough to see the film until my wife recommended it last night.

Holy hell, that was amazing! I'm not sure how well it worked if you didn't know his actual backstory, but I can see "Behind the Music, but really hosed up" appealing to others.

Loved the end-credits where it lulled me into thinking, "No, but seriously here's the real Al story" and then devolves into the movie events with Al photoshopped.

I gave it a rare FB recommendation saying "I thought the Weird Al Yankovic biography was in extraordinarily bad taste and the real Al would be turning in his grave." and got a friend responding with a very concerned, "Oh no! He's not dead yet is he?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

Taking off Malick, A Hidden Life is on Hulu and I haven't watched it yet. He'll yeah

It's good!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I thought Al yankovic blew his head off in the late 80s when people stopped buying his records

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, that was just an urban legend covering up the truth that he was publicly assassinated by his ex-girlfriend, the cartel kingpin Madonna, in retaliation for dumping her.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

mcmagic posted:

I started watching Poldark and it's so bad but I can't stop. Everyone but his wife is a complete moron.

This is one of the funnest except for all the stuff with Morwenna, jesus christ show let up on the poor girl trash shows me and my wife watched.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone else confused by why they replaced Andor with an idiot clone on the beach planet then replaced him back when he left that planet?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
George is the evil hero of Poldark!

Francis (Syril from Andor) is also cool as a cousin of Ross.

Everyone in the show is basically a dumbass except those two.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 14, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Keyser_Soze posted:

Francis' hat is not convincing me otherwise.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Don't Worry Darling is weird, it's like a solid psychological thriller for the first hour and then the reveal retroactively makes it all kind of dumb

I feel like it shares a problem with Booksmart in that the message of you shouldn't try so hard because everyone you know is getting into Harvard anyway is such a bizarre and totally alien character arc to anyone who didn't grow up extremely wealthy, and similarly in DWD what seems like a very straightforward 'misogynist men controlling women' premise really gets lost in actually the husband isn't a woman-hating incel, they had a happy marriage until he lost his job and couldn't find a new one so he became resentful and joined a group of VR incels but paid for it by luckily finding a job right after and also some of the other women are in it is such a convoluted mess that you start to wonder if Olivia Wilde has ever had a normal human experience to draw from

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Francis' hat is not convincing me otherwise.

He needs the hat to cover up his large brain

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

Don't Worry Darling is weird, it's like a solid psychological thriller for the first hour and then the reveal retroactively makes it all kind of dumb

I feel like it shares a problem with Booksmart in that the message of you shouldn't try so hard because everyone you know is getting into Harvard anyway is such a bizarre and totally alien character arc to anyone who didn't grow up extremely wealthy, and similarly in DWD what seems like a very straightforward 'misogynist men controlling women' premise really gets lost in actually the husband isn't a woman-hating incel, they had a happy marriage until he lost his job and couldn't find a new one so he became resentful and joined a group of VR incels but paid for it by luckily finding a job right after and also some of the other women are in it is such a convoluted mess that you start to wonder if Olivia Wilde has ever had a normal human experience to draw from

I wanted to like Don't Worry Darling because I love me some Florence Pugh but holy poo poo it was one of the worst movies I've seen this year. I figured it was essentially a Stepford Wives situation going in, but the whole trapped in the Matrix/VR just didn't work, and while I'm okay with movies not telling you everything, the ending really didn't answer questions I had like "Are her legs completely useless now? Is she wasting away to nothing? Don't her family members wonder where she is?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

Don't Worry Darling . . .is such a convoluted mess that you start to wonder if Olivia Wilde has ever had a normal human experience to draw from

I actually didn't quite get all the hype around Booksmart, I felt that it wasn't particularly funny, and contained so many well covered tropes that we've seen in pretty much every teen coming of age comedy in the last few decades. I thought that Blocked and The Edge of Seventeen were better, similar recent teen coming of age tales.

That said, Olivia Wilde's incredibly messy handling of all the drama surrounding the film suggests that no, she doesn't really have a normal human experience to draw from. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from everything I've read, this public feud (which even involved Zach Braff even though he has zero connection with the movie) was far more entertaining than the film itself.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Very good!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Keyser_Soze posted:

George is the evil hero of Poldark!

Francis is a GIANT dumbass.

I'm up to the point where Francis's son grows like 2 feet in what the show implies is around a year. Also,Rev. Whitworth is a complete and utter monster and also somehow my favorite character

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 15, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

Francis is a GIANT dumbass.

I'm up to the point where Francis's son grows like 2 feet in what the show implies is around a year. Also,Rev. Whitworth is a complete and utter monster and also somehow my favorite character

So creepy. And doesn't know when to stop.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
How did they save the latest episode of The Vow for season 2?

It focuses on the underage girl who Keith had a sexual relationship with, and then locked her in a room for more than 2 years when he felt that she betrayed him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So creepy. And doesn't know when to stop.

And now Ross's stupid loving plan gets Elizabeth to kill herself? What a dope.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I liked The Automat on HBO Max. I never got to go to one, I just knew they existed, but now I wish they were still around, whatever the price of coffee would be today. The documentary skips pretty quickly over the restaurant defeating employee unionization, not to mention the stupid rich kid driving it into the ground after the company was handed to him. It seems like adopting a fast food model for interstate locations might have kept it alive, maybe put the food out one of those windows to maintain the gimmick, but, c'est la vie. Beautiful old photographs and film strips of early 20th century New York, Mel Brooks, mysterious warehouses, Elliott Gould, Mel Brooks singing, Elliott Gould making fun of how Mel Brooks is dressed, and at and hour and a half it won't take up your whole evening. Gotta find me one of those dolphin heads for my kitchen...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mcmagic posted:

And now Ross's stupid loving plan gets Elizabeth to kill herself? What a dope.

What show are you guys talking about

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

That is obviously a Friends plotline.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ymgve posted:

Anyone else confused by why they replaced Andor with an idiot clone on the beach planet then replaced him back when he left that planet?

It's great about how it showed there wasn't anything he could have done to not get jailed to infinite years if he just didn't want to be sitting in a crime scene

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Poldark. It's REALLY bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ymgve posted:

Huh? I thought the entire thing spiraled out in a very realistic fashion.

There's nothing he could have done once that Trooper started talking to him. It's a police state, that's the point.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Huh? I thought the entire thing spiraled out in a very realistic fashion.

There's nothing he could have done once that Trooper started talking to him. It's a police state, that's the point.

It should have never gotten that far, is what I mean. Here is one of the people that did the most notorious heist in recent history and he is just bumbling along the beach with no situational awareness

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ymgve posted:

It should have never gotten that far, is what I mean. Here is one of the people that did the most notorious heist in recent history and he is just bumbling along the beach with no situational awareness

Andor

A heist that they spent months planning, and they had inside help. Here he just happened to get caught up in a random event and was wrongly imprisoned for it. He then used the same skills he used on the heist to orchestrate a mass breakout.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ymgve posted:

Imagine going to Havana or Monte Carlo or something and seeing a couple of guys run by on the beach and a few cops milling around and saying to yourself "ah! this means that if I don't return to my room immediately I'm going to be sentenced to forever prison based on nothing"

As the show takes pains to show, this was a new phase of the Empire. They were bad prior but they weren't literally sentencing random passerbys to eternal servitude to their war machine. In fact, it's that behavior from the Empire that Luthien is specifically trying to evoke with the heist.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

ymgve posted:

I was pretty confused by that as well thought it was a flashback it was so out of place. Would have been funny though if it actually was his origin story how he became a career criminal after getting jailed in a Brazil like fashion.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mcmagic posted:

Poldark. It's REALLY bad.

Demelza is good tho

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Imagine going to Havana or Monte Carlo or something and seeing a couple of guys run by on the beach and a few cops milling around and saying to yourself "ah! this means that if I don't return to my room immediately I'm going to be sentenced to forever prison based on nothing"

As the show takes pains to show, this was a new phase of the Empire. They were bad prior but they weren't literally sentencing random passerbys to eternal servitude to their war machine. In fact, it's that behavior from the Empire that Luthien is specifically trying to evoke with the heist.

Yeah it wasn't out of place at all. If he was doing something stupid to move the plot along I'd agree .. but he just happened to glance at the people running and it escalated from there. Was pretty clearly trying to illustrate how ruthless the empire was getting as you pointed out. It wasn't Andor character development.

Also it's almost like it's trying to say something about our current environment of fascist brown shirts with badges.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Just to make sure, there isn't a way to get the Disney+ Bundle (Hulu & ESPN+) and Hulu Live TV on the same account?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not sure what I expected out of Westworld Season 4 but it sure wasn’t identical plot points to The Lords of Salem, including the similarity in the music

Just going to pretend that’s not actually a coincidence

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m not sure what I expected out of Westworld Season 4 but it sure wasn’t identical plot points to The Lords of Salem, including the similarity in the music

Just going to pretend that’s not actually a coincidence

Okay, you're going to have to spell that one out, because I've never heard of The Lords of Salem, but I just read the very detailed plot summary on wikipedia, and controlling people with sound seems to be the only similarity at all.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wendell & Wild is visually great, has tons of talented voice actors and actresses, an awesome soundtrack and is the most boring thing I have seen in a really long time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Wendell & Wild is visually great, has tons of talented voice actors and actresses, an awesome soundtrack and is the most boring thing I have seen in a really long time.

Yeah this is a really good review, almost exactly my experience with it.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd be interested to know if Netflix gives any of its filmmakers notes about runtimes, because every movie they put out seems to run 15-20 minutes too long. I watched W&W back to back with Nightmare Before Christmas, and NBC is such a tightly constructed piece in comparison and it got me thinking about how insistent Disney used to be on 90 minutes or fewer runtimes for most of their movies and how this limitation more often than not resulted in very well structured pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I watched Spike Lee's debut She's Gotta Have It. Amateurish in some respects, but worth at least one watch. I think I'll like his later works. She's Gotta Have It is on Netflix.