Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JackBandit posted:

I feel reasonably plugged into politics and I really don’t understand how jurisdiction works. Why is it up to any judge to just say how they feel about things? And is there some sort of time limit on how long they have to wait? Can they drag this out indefinitely by having one chudge take the baton with a bullshit ruling every 6 weeks?

It makes me think about trumps tax returns, which have had approximately 57 different judge rulings ping ponging back and forth for 6 years. gently caress the American justice system.

There was one particular judge in north Texas (can't remember if it's east or west) that was the go-to for chudly things like trying to kill the ACA. It is utter bullshit, and the cronyism of the judiciary was starkly laid out late in the Obama Presidency and on through Trump's. Appointment for life should end since it now means multiple decades in a time when societal change and evolution is vastly more rapid than the Enlightenment era this rules were initially drawn up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I don't think this case has standing this is probably the chud judge who always gets smacked in appeals. The fact it looks like it was typed on a typewriter just reinforces that belief.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Scipiotik posted:

I don't think this case has standing this is probably the chud judge who always gets smacked in appeals. The fact it looks like it was typed on a typewriter just reinforces that belief.

its by two people angry that they didnt A) have pell grants or loans B) had FFEL loans that they didnt get consolidated and cant qualify. It also invalidates the entire Executive order which already is a legal can of worms because uh what about the money refunded???? literally its from the insane fucker and the order itself is a one page fuckup that will get held because he pushed it through with no standing defined or damages besides the two people angry because they didnt do anything

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

UCS Hellmaker posted:

its by two people angry that they didnt A) have pell grants or loans B) had FFEL loans that they didnt get consolidated and cant qualify. It also invalidates the entire Executive order which already is a legal can of worms because uh what about the money refunded???? literally its from the insane fucker and the order itself is a one page fuckup that will get held because he pushed it through with no standing defined or damages besides the two people angry because they didnt do anything

I mean tbf I get being angry about the FFEL thing because I think maybe my Navient poo poo could have been rolled into forgiveness (maybe? idk) but I didn't even hear about that being a thing until after the deadline passed. In fact, I'd heard prior to that about being careful about consolidation because it'd be possible for that to gently caress stuff up.

No real point in trying to blow the whole thing up I guess though. But it is utter bullshit that there was some arbitrary deadline for rolling poo poo over into a forgivable format.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scipiotik posted:

No, this appears to be a different dishonorable gentleman.

The one I was thinking of, and I'm pretty sure you're thinking of, is Reed O'Connor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_O%27Connor

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, this appears to be a different dishonorable gentleman.

The one I was thinking of, and I'm pretty sure you're thinking of, is Reed O'Connor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_O%27Connor

Cool, either way if he's typing it on a typewriter he's definitely insane. Federal courts aren't that backwards.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The problem is this is in the Fifth Circuit. The appeals court will uphold it and instead of a typewriter the opinion will be written on a poo poo-stained piece of toilet paper.

It's going to end up in the Supreme Court.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just my opinion up b but there shouldn’t be a threshold to getting it forgiven. It should be open to everyone. Doctorates or under. Isn’t that why it was rejected? Because the people who brought the lawsuit didn’t qualify for it?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Piggy Smalls posted:

Just my opinion up b but there shouldn’t be a threshold to getting it forgiven. It should be open to everyone. Doctorates or under. Isn’t that why it was rejected? Because the people who brought the lawsuit didn’t qualify for it?

Dentists make more than BA communications majors op

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

JackBandit posted:

Why is it up to any judge to just say how they feel about things?
But it would make you feel a lot better to hear what he has to say, right?

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/10/1135940851/student-debt-relief-biden-blocked-texas-district-court

quote:

District Court Judge Mark Pittman, an appointee of former President Donald Trump based in Fort Worth, said the program usurped Congress' power to make laws.

"In this country, we are not ruled by an all-powerful executive with a pen and a phone. Instead, we are ruled by a Constitution that provides for three distinct and independent branches of government," Pittman wrote.

He added: "The Court is not blind to the current political division in our country. But it is fundamental to the survival of our Republic that the separation of powers as outlined in our Constitution be preserved."
The loving irony of everything this chudge is saying is just mind boggling.

Edit:

gently caress this piece of poo poo, too.

quote:

Rep. Virginia Foxx of North Carolina, the ranking Republican on the House education committee, celebrated it.

"Yet another nail has been added to the coffin of President Biden's illegal student loan bailout, and hardworking taxpayers across the country are rightfully rejoicing," she said. "This administration continues to operate as if its own self-appointed authority in transferring billions of dollars in student loans is legitimate, but the rule of law says otherwise."

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1590904710449332224

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1590904713561530368

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1590904718507016192

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Smugworth posted:

Dentists make more than BA communications majors op

You likely owe less than a dentist does for his/her education. It would be a drop in the bucket for a doctorate degree but it would keep people from claiming it’s discriminatory.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Let's not have this thread devolve into arguing about the program. It's intended to be a help/information thread, so until something more develops just let it sit. I'm putting it on slow mode for the moment to help encourage that.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Has there been any talk of extending the moratorium on payments?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

rifles posted:

Has there been any talk of extending the moratorium on payments?

No, but they have closed the application:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1591084998513365000

I think it would be crazy for them to not extend the moratorium, but this is the Democrat Party we're talking about.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

so is this dead then? also the title should probablty be changed imo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why did this specific federal judge cause them to pause it when the Nebraska case has already effectively stalled it for the same reason? Does the Texan judge somehow pose more of a threat?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
No, he doesn't at all judge just wanted to completely stop every part of the program.

naem
May 29, 2011

I hope that people who were able to reconsolidate in time for forgiveness aren’t affected by higher interest rates as this delay is dealt with

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

naem posted:

I hope that people who were able to reconsolidate in time for forgiveness aren’t affected by higher interest rates as this delay is dealt with

I hope that the people who are blocking forgiveness get testicular cancer, then run over by a bus that's inexplicably coated in lemon juice.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How long is it going to be before we have a definitive answer that this is or isn’t happening?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

B B posted:

No, but they have closed the application:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1591084998513365000

I think it would be crazy for them to not extend the moratorium, but this is the Democrat Party we're talking about.

Agreed. They should extend the moratorium for a 100 years to give the finger to the shitlords who are against debt relief.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they should have just cancelled the entirety of the outstanding loans. why go with some half hearted poo poo when you know repubs are going to fight tooth and nail to stop it no matter what the dollar figure is. might as well go big for maximum support of the plebeians

e: it also may be worth changing the thread title so american goons aren't falsely led into believing that student loan debt forgiveness began in october 2022 (or perhaps will begin at all?)

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 11, 2022

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Regardless of whether the chuds back up the process about loan forgiveness, their derail isn't also attacking the new IDR plan coming, right?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

e: it also may be worth changing the thread title so american goons aren't falsely led into believing that student loan debt forgiveness began in october 2022 (or perhaps will begin at all?)

nom epique posted:

*Looks at calendar*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

heartbreaking

e: not implying you deserve a probe for pointing out the obvious, just referencing the onion "heartbreaking: worst person you know made a great point" headline because it turns out the hater called it right this time. don't want to poo poo up the thread with too many jokes so i'll leave it alone after this.

v

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 11, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

heartbreaking

shoot, didn't realize Noticing was against the law itt. apoliogies to any mods

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not only am I really pissed about this but I’m also Covid positive as of this morning so that double sucks.

I need a win :eng99:

e: does Nebraska have an “expiration date” of how long it can stay hanging in 8th circuit? Can it be expedited or referred to SCOTUS?

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
You know, if we just handed Texas over to Mexico we could probably make Puerto Rico a state and not have to change the flag.

I don't know what kind of other stuff we'd have to throw in for Mexico to want it though.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
At this point let Texas secede and let the cartels figure out the rest

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So for now just expect to be paying our student loans back come January 2023? That is what I am working off of currently, and am trying to base my monthly spending around that assumption.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
whats this talk about consolidation? I have a handful of loans out there; i'm paying 2 different companies. was i supposed to have consolidated them into one lump sum? my payments are based on total amt owed, so it never crossed my mind that id need to something extra. also the application didnt mention anything at the time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You may need to consolidate to enter income driven repayment plans and for payments to qualify for pslf. It doesn’t have anything to do with the 10/20k loan forgiveness asfaik

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Couldn't ineligible loans have been consolidated under a qualifying loan type prior to a certain date?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

titties posted:

Couldn't ineligible loans have been consolidated under a qualifying loan type prior to a certain date?

Not unless Bank of America. (Not actually the bank of America) Wants to get paid

naem
May 29, 2011

Effective-Disorder posted:

You know, if we just handed Texas over to Mexico we could probably make Puerto Rico a state and not have to change the flag.

I don't know what kind of other stuff we'd have to throw in for Mexico to want it though.

mexico and puerto rico reading this, looking at each other, then looking at the camera and shaking their head no while grimacing

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The Eighth Circuit has ruled that the six states in the Nebraska case have standing and the case will move forward. The Fifth Circuit will likely rule the same in their case. The appeals process will last well past January, at which point the new term of Congress will start and the Republicans will be able to file a lawsuit from the House.

It's pretty much over.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

:lol:

Does this affect the other aspects of the plan (caps on repayment, interest rates, etc.)?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

The Eighth Circuit has ruled that the six states in the Nebraska case have standing and the case will move forward. The Fifth Circuit will likely rule the same in their case. The appeals process will last well past January, at which point the new term of Congress will start and the Republicans will be able to file a lawsuit from the House.

It's pretty much over.

lol seriosuly. is a house suit really a death sentence? i dunno how this poo poo works in america. crazy if it is. i thought over the past 100 years or w/e executive powers have been expandedf to such a degree that the pres could just ram this poo poo through. why not done

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol seriosuly. is a house suit really a death sentence? i dunno how this poo poo works in america. crazy if it is. i thought over the past 100 years or w/e executive powers have been expandedf to such a degree that the pres could just ram this poo poo through. why not done

The executive powers were only expanded for when the president wants to give stuff to rich people or kill brown people with drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's pretty much over.
The 8th Circuit is just doing doughnuts over the law in the parking lot now

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1592234303173591040?s=20&t=NkkJgUX8zMWh62SIY_R6hQ