Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For STeel Exemplar, if you use partly colourless and partly (e.g.) green mana but no other colours, does that count as mana of only one colour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Colorless isn't a color, so it's fewer than two colors

105.4. If a player is asked to choose a color, they must choose one of the five colors. “Multicolored” is not a color. Neither is “colorless.”
106.1a There are five colors of mana: white, blue, black, red, and green.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't paid any attention to that card before. How are the odds for the autotapper handling it well?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It looks like they are building in a pause for cards like Clay Champion so you can confirm the mana to tap, I know people were wondering how well it would prioritize powerstones. I didn't watch any of the streamer preview stuff to see how that went though

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
from this article https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-state-game-the-brothers-war

quote:

AUTO-TAP FLEXIBILITY
To provide more flexibility when using auto-tap with cards like Clay Champion and Bladecoil Serpent that care about the type of mana spent to cast them, auto-tap will always pause the casting to display the mana choices it plans to use.

so i imagine if you go to play it it'll go "are you sure" and you can check its not using multiple colours before you confirm the cast

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I'm having some good sucess with the Mono Blue Tempo deck in Standard. It's cheap to build - but be warned, not the easiest deck to pilot.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone done the math of the prerelease bundles' value?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

salt shakeup posted:

I'm having some good sucess with the Mono Blue Tempo deck in Standard. It's cheap to build - but be warned, not the easiest deck to pilot.

One of the key pieces of advice covertgoblue had for the deck that has helped me significantly was that if you are on the draw you must absolutely have a counter in hand for their turn 3 play. You have to mulligan away any hands that are too durdly with draw spells.

The deck is also good for getting fast wins in the unranked queue. People are quick to concede against the deck and unwilling to put up with the frustration.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

omg brawl

Really enjoy games where it feels like I'm behind the whole time and then whoops I just did 24 damage out of nowhere (Marionette Master is very good and very good in doubles)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I could really go for a cube that doesn't have the Alchemy bullshit in it.

Cube is, in fact, the perfect place for alchemy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
bring some of the playtest cards to arena and stick them in the next cube imo. i want gunk slug and i want it now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Excited for the new set. It looks cool, but without clearly defined and supported archetypes I have no idea what limited is going to look like! Kinda exciting but also a bit nerve wracking

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Excited for the new set. It looks cool, but without clearly defined and supported archetypes I have no idea what limited is going to look like! Kinda exciting but also a bit nerve wracking

I have a feeling limited is gonna suck because everyone is gonna have big prototypes, I hope I'm wrong

I also think they went overboard on power stones and said big chonky boys will be coming down mega early

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

saltylopez posted:

The deck is also good for getting fast wins in the unranked queue. People are quick to concede against the deck and unwilling to put up with the frustration.

Yeah, I've had concedes as soon as the first island hits the board. It's surprising.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I didn't see a lot of powerstones in my prerelease. I had 2 cards in my deck that could make them, and I played against 1 guy with the spider that makes a powerstone for both players. I went in assuming that people could expect to see roughly 2 powerstones per game and the big creatures were balanced around that, but it might only be 1.

The format seemed slow to me, I didn't see a lot of 1 or 2 drops and nobody was particularly aggressive. The Unearth cards seemed powerful though, allowing you to out-value your opponents by always having something to do. My opponent was in R/W/b and the red unearth was pretty good, the white one let you go wide especially if you have any soldier tribal payoffs. My opponent had the Anthem with the o-ring ability that came up huge for him.

The biggest thing about the prototype creatures is that everyone has a big guy that will end the game in a couple swings eventually, or force the opponent to trade multiple creatures, so I feel like board stalls will be less common. There also seems to be a lot of haste with unearth, so if you're at a low life total but try to stabilize with a board wipe, you can't just say "I'll be fine as long as they don't have something with haste" because there's a red prototype 7-power haste creature at common, as well as a bunch of unearth creatures that can get in for 2-3 damage with an upside.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I didn't manage to catch up this set, so I decided gently caress it why not and bought the limited mastery pass bundle. HOpefulyl I don't crash out instantly and regret it horribly, but it does look like a fun limited set so fingers crossed i guess.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Super excited for this set as an almost exclusively limited player. All the colors seem super viable and that feels great. I anticipate lots of folks are gonna go hard on black, so I expect W/U flyers will be crazy go just going over people's heads constantly.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Duderclese posted:

Super excited for this set as an almost exclusively limited player. All the colors seem super viable and that feels great. I anticipate lots of folks are gonna go hard on black, so I expect W/U flyers will be crazy go just going over people's heads constantly.

Yeah there is room for a fast deck that just curves out. There isn't that much removal so the ground gets gummed up and while the 7-10 mana constructs are strong they don't insta win games the same turn they are dropped so a held removal spell sets them back enough to get those last points of damage in.

There is also a 2 mana fairy that can't be blocked by artifacts that can get out of hand. It's what killed me in game 3 match 3 at my prerelease. That and my incredibly sloppy plays.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Well, players couldn't get WotC or Hasbro to course correct. Let's see if the banks can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23458064/magic-the-gathering-overprinting-hasbro-stock-downgrade

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MikeC posted:

Well, players couldn't get WotC or Hasbro to course correct. Let's see if the banks can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23458064/magic-the-gathering-overprinting-hasbro-stock-downgrade

I'm not too inclined to trust this, especially since it links to an article which fellates Flesh and Blood.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Magic has a dedicated and sticky fanbase

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gynovore posted:

I'm not too inclined to trust this, especially since it links to an article which fellates Flesh and Blood.

This is just polygon reporting on a BoA press release. Its all over the financial newswire. Most of them like the WSJ or Bloomberg are paywalled so I linked this one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the analyst wants magic to be more collector-focused and limit availability of general game pieces to increase demand, so gently caress that

too many people seeing that article and going 'oh boy, someone big says mtg bad, all my opinions are justified' where all the points are unhealthy to whoever wants to actually play the game in paper

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MikeC posted:

This is just polygon reporting on a BoA press release. Its all over the financial newswire. Most of them like the WSJ or Bloomberg are paywalled so I linked this one.

True, but still that article practically screams "Magic is dying, buy Flesh and Blood now! Be sure to use our affiliate link!!"

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
According to my interpretation of the article that was linked in the other thread, the finance guys are concerned that wizards doesn't focus enough on the real core audience: The collectors of unopened booster boxes with investment intend.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

the analyst wants magic to be more collector-focused and limit availability of general game pieces to increase demand, so gently caress that

too many people seeing that article and going 'oh boy, someone big says mtg bad, all my opinions are justified' where all the points are unhealthy to whoever wants to actually play the game in paper

Luckily this is not the paper mtg thread and this is already being discussed there.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

What's important for this thread: are the melded permanents going to be twice as big as other objects? Going to be underwhelming if they look like normal creatures or walkers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

snyprmag posted:

What's important for this thread: are the melded permanents going to be twice as big as other objects? Going to be underwhelming if they look like normal creatures or walkers.

quote:

Even though meld is a returning Magic mechanic, it is new to MTG Arena! The only major callout here is that a melded permanent is the same size as every other card (sorry, no double-sized monstrosities).

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
no huge cards? thats it im boycotting

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I could forgive regular size meld cards if they at least got cool animations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

which you'll see very rarely, right? I mean how good were meld cards during soi/emn standard

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

reignonyourparade posted:

bad news,

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so excited for Brothers War to come out tomorrow!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Extra BRO prerelease code:
8D665-A8D63-D9B6E-3C13C-57453

When you redeem this code, be reverent of the hardships I endured to bring it to you: In my first match, a man sat down across from me with half a Big Gulp container full of milk, and then poured in a can of Coke. He finished it by the end of the first game.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I almost claimed that but then decided that I was t worthy of your sacrifice.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I mean yes that's why I said "could"

kalel posted:

which you'll see very rarely, right? I mean how good were meld cards during soi/emn standard

From the wall access streams urza at least seems to be quite doable since he curves well and fits into a control shell, titania SEEMS like she should be doable but isn't quite there, or maybe that's just in comparison to Urza. Mishra is the only one I'd have real doubts about.

Anecdotally seems like they say how much of a non-entity the innistrad meld cards were and tuned them up just a bit.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Eikre posted:

When you redeem this code, be reverent of the hardships I endured to bring it to you: In my first match, a man sat down across from me with half a Big Gulp container full of milk, and then poured in a can of Coke. He finished it by the end of the first game.

I can’t in good conscience redeem that code, but know that your sacrifice is appreciated.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Eikre posted:

Extra BRO prerelease code:
8D665-A8D63-D9B6E-3C13C-57453

Tried to snag this, but it's already taken!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

show yourself. you drat coward lurker you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

kalel posted:

show yourself. you drat coward lurker you

Somewhere, someone is cackling between sips of cilk.