Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

qnqnx posted:

B/W had it right with only new mons until the postgame

Well it did it half-right. It managed to somehow have a distribution almost as bad as Johto with literally one third of the new Dex locked until around the Eighth badge or post-game, the dumbass high level evo curve and the drip-feed of new Pokemon availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
In comparison, B/W2 had probably the best distribution of Pokémon in a mainline game.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

AlternateNu posted:

In comparison, B/W2 had probably the best distribution of Pokémon in a mainline game.

I kind of get the feeling that future games sort of took that set of games as the blueprint for future regional dexes. Mixes of older Pokemon that are either mainstays of the series, ones that hadn't appeared in a game in a while, alongside new Pokemon.

This does also mean that Pokemon that resemble newer species are going to be as prominent.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Gen 2 because the distribution on most of the new mons was terrible

Okay re-reading the original post he hasn't been in the game for close to twenty years. In that context I guess it makes sense. But there's also a hint of Gen-wunnerism in that apparently the hundreds of other pokemon aren't viable for uh--reasons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My objection has nothing to do with viability, and everything to do with how silly they look. And while I'm sure there are cool ones from later generations, I don't know which ones they are lol

Procrastine posted:

Gen 2 because the distribution on most of the new mons was terrible

This probably did not help. It's bizarre that half the new pokemon seemed to be in Kanto for some reason.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

My objection has nothing to do with viability, and everything to do with how silly they look. And while I'm sure there are cool ones from later generations, I don't know which ones they are lol

This probably did not help. It's bizarre that half the new pokemon seemed to be in Kanto for some reason.

Plenty of Gen 1 Pokémon look silly too.

There are literally almost a thousand other Pokémon to choose from. Just browse through Bulbapedia and I’m sure you’ll find plenty of awesome looking Pokémon from all the different gens. :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Well, discovering which ones are cool has the simple solution of....playing the games, and going "Oh sweet I like this one, Imma try it in my party."

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Well it did it half-right. It managed to somehow have a distribution almost as bad as Johto with literally one third of the new Dex locked until around the Eighth badge or post-game, the dumbass high level evo curve and the drip-feed of new Pokemon availability.

The high level requirement for evolutions made sense what with B/W also going far up high in levels plus the dynamic exp gains for level differences, but it feels real lovely without either and that has been the norm since gen 6.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Well, discovering which ones are cool has the simple solution of....playing the games, and going "Oh sweet I like this one, Imma try it in my party."

Such madness that you speak of! Actually playing the games? Poppycock! I'll be using the same 151 from my childhood over and over again because they're far more mature and sophisticated. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to train my female Mr. Mime.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

One thing to keep in mind if you haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since gen 2 is that it is much, much easier to level your team now compared to gen1/2. You can swap in anyone you find who looks cool and if you end up not using them for very long because you don't like their evolution or whatever it's not an issue.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

qnqnx posted:

The high level requirement for evolutions made sense what with B/W also going far up high in levels plus the dynamic exp gains for level differences, but it feels real lovely without either and that has been the norm since gen 6.

I don't why they just don't lower it when they've been changing other evolutions recently, like Leafeon and the leaf stone.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't why they just don't lower it when they've been changing other evolutions recently, like Leafeon and the leaf stone.

They will down the line in addition to carving out another chunk of moves to balance competitive.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Eh, the target audience of kids has nothing but time and patience for that kind of thing and the people who will notice/care that certain old pokemon from old gens have weird level boundaries for evolving are also the kinds of people who will generally suck it up so going back fixing or changing things like that is more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth compared to all the other stuff they probably have to do to release games at the pace they seem to.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Flopsy posted:

They will down the line in addition to carving out another chunk of moves to balance competitive.

Balance¹ competitive²

¹ Random poo poo thrown at the wall

² The few still playing VGC and their extremely samey teams

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

qnqnx posted:

Balance¹ competitive²

Yes exactly.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Balance¹ competitive²

VGC teams are only samey in formats where restricted Pokémon and incineroar are allowed

The first season of play for a new region is always pretty diverse and fun.

SwSh also introduced seasons where the top used Pokémon were not allowed

I play both VGC and smogon singles, and I'm not really sure what format you're playing where the meta doesn't revolve around the best Pokémon in that meta, minus a few spice picks

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

qnqnx posted:

It barely made sense in BW either, considering the effective final boss caps out at Level 54 with Ghetsis' Hydreigon, and there's a very large chunk of Pokémon that are stuck in a lovely first form until like Level 52 (Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, Mienfoo, etc) or are literally Deino or Larvesta.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BW's evolution levels are designed around the postgame. Once you beat the main story you still have like half the map left to explore, they expect you to do that and continue leveling your story 'mons and have them evolve during your post-game adventures.

EDIT: Okay maybe not half the map but there's still a very large chunk of it left after you beat the main story. They want you to explore all that and do the Seven Sages post-game and have you 'mons evolve during that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Genovera posted:

One thing to keep in mind if you haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since gen 2 is that it is much, much easier to level your team now compared to gen1/2. You can swap in anyone you find who looks cool and if you end up not using them for very long because you don't like their evolution or whatever it's not an issue.

Well that is good to know, why is it so much easier?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Experience share is never turned off and you get boatloads of rare candies from doing raids. There's so many pokemon if there weren't shortcuts it would be impossible to evolve everything without enormous amounts of grinding.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

1)EXP share is permanently on, so you don't even have to bother switching the new party member in and out.
2)Many of the recent games have used a mechanic where you get more xp the lower level a mon is relative to the opponent. I'm not sure if SV do but I would assume so.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

If it’s anything like last gen, the exp share is on at all times, so all Pokémon get exp for every battle and catching Pokémon awards exp as well.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

spoilers for scarlet/violet ahead!!! thought i would talk about the rewards from each of the three storylines for people who might be interested; they're designed level-wise to have you pingpong from one activity to the next but maybe you want one kind of reward over another and want to beeline for it. who knows, i'm not you.

gyms: gym badges, like always, let you catch + control pokemon of an increasing higher level. doesn't matter which badge you get in which order, each badge gives you +5 level to catch/control.

titans/herba mystica: there's five of them and each one gives your rideable pokemon a new ability. 99% sure you get the abilities in a set order and doesn't matter which titan you kill. first is swimming, second is dashing, third is high jump, fourth is gliding, fifth is climbing vertical walls.

star bases: you're given LP (as good as cash in most (all?) stores, also used to craft TMs) and a bunch of pokemon materials, used for crafting TMs.

hope that helps someone out there!!! enjoy!!!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

An Actual Princess posted:

spoilers for scarlet/violet ahead!!! thought i would talk about the rewards from each of the three storylines for people who might be interested; they're designed level-wise to have you pingpong from one activity to the next but maybe you want one kind of reward over another and want to beeline for it. who knows, i'm not you.

gyms: gym badges, like always, let you catch + control pokemon of an increasing higher level. doesn't matter which badge you get in which order, each badge gives you +5 level to catch/control.

titans/herba mystica: there's five of them and each one gives your rideable pokemon a new ability. 99% sure you get the abilities in a set order and doesn't matter which titan you kill. first is swimming, second is dashing, third is high jump, fourth is gliding, fifth is climbing vertical walls.

star bases: you're given LP (as good as cash in most (all?) stores, also used to craft TMs) and a bunch of pokemon materials, used for crafting TMs.

when do you get the running shoes

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scholtz posted:

when do you get the running shoes

you don't. why would you need them? unless this is a joke, i don't play a ton of pokemon or read this thread very often

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I like that they're trying to spread things out to make them more engaging. It's certainly a more compelling narrative structure than the previous one. Btw which starter did you go with?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh yeah it was a joke based on the Running Shoes key item, introduced in Gen 3, which allows you to run when holding the B button. You used to get them after anywhere from 10-20 minutes of agonizing slow walking everywhere until in Gen 6 where you started getting them immediately

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I like that they're trying to spread things out to make them more engaging. It's certainly a more compelling narrative structure than the previous one. Btw which starter did you go with?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Does it seem stupidly easy to overlevel and trivialise the game? I got annoyed in the last few, especially the D/P remakes and Sword because I'd use a pokemon for a bit and then it'd end up going way over trainers/gyms by what felt like a lot and the games are already pretty easy.

Maybe brain problems on my part but it ended up feeling like I had to like, keep switching pokemon out more than I would usually want to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Does it seem stupidly easy to overlevel and trivialise the game? I got annoyed in the last few, especially the D/P remakes and Sword because I'd use a pokemon for a bit and then it'd end up going way over trainers/gyms by what felt like a lot and the games are already pretty easy.

Maybe brain problems on my part but it ended up feeling like I had to like, keep switching pokemon out more than I would usually want to.

SwSh also gave you the ability to farm Dynamax raids in the Wild Areas for candies (meaning you could theoretically get a Level 100 team fairly early on and just steamroll the game if you so chose). Is there anything quite that broken in SV?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the only time i felt like i was stupid overleveled and trivializing is when i went at level ~30 or so to the other direction you can go from the start, and ended up crushing a couple activities. otherwise it's been pretty dead on. i think a lot of people are going to have differing experiences just due to the nonlinearity of this one, i'm curious to see how it shakes out

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

SwSh also gave you the ability to farm Dynamax raids in the Wild Areas for candies (meaning you could theoretically get a Level 100 team fairly early on and just steamroll the game if you so chose). Is there anything quite that broken in SV?

yeah you can farm tera raids right from the start and they give you exp food and rare candies so if you wanna grind, you can do that

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also can i just say that the rideable pokemon designs are stupid. I like a ton of the new mons but I don't like these guys. Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

yeah you can farm tera raids right from the start and they give you exp food and rare candies so if you wanna grind, you can do that

Where can Tera Raids be found?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

also can i just say that the rideable pokemon designs are stupid. I like a ton of the new mons but I don't like these guys. Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there more besides the little lizard guys and the box legendaries?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

the only time i felt like i was stupid overleveled and trivializing is when i went at level ~30 or so to the other direction you can go from the start, and ended up crushing a couple activities. otherwise it's been pretty dead on. i think a lot of people are going to have differing experiences just due to the nonlinearity of this one, i'm curious to see how it shakes out

Yeah I guess it being properly open world you can like self regulate the difficulty moreso than in any of the other ones. Sounds like an improvement on that front.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
It sounds like more than ever this game is pushing for a less traditional "core team of 6" playthrough

Which isn't terrible, but I am going to miss having my "main" team and also not blowing past everything because of level advantage

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

Where can Tera Raids be found?

literally everywhere

Is there more besides the little lizard guys and the box legendaries?

i didn't know there were others beyond the box legendaries lol

Xander B Coolridge posted:

It sounds like more than ever this game is pushing for a less traditional "core team of 6" playthrough

Which isn't terrible, but I am going to miss having my "main" team and also not blowing past everything because of level advantage

i've largely had a pretty set core (though lategame this is biting me in the rear end because i'm awful at type coverage and just pick the ones i think are cute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

literally everywhere

i didn't know there were others beyond the box legendaries lol

i've largely had a pretty set core (though lategame this is biting me in the rear end because i'm awful at type coverage and just pick the ones i think are cute)

Oh I assumed Cyclizar here was like the starter rider pokemon before you got the legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6zFq5nd0tU