Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

lmao. ukkkraine sucks so loving much dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

its the republikkk of ukkkraine dumbass -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
uKKKrane vs ruSSia

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This is what assimilation means in Victoria 3, this the most inclusive law short of multiculturalism which just removes all restrictions.

It's Mexico and only white people and hispanic speakers will assimilate, all americans that were originaly living in america before whitey came are still oppressed and discriminated against.

Edit: Also have to convert to catholicism I guess.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Nov 14, 2022

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

A question for Frosted Flake, would you recommend any one volume history of land artillery during the 19th century, developments from Waterloo to Ypres. Hopefully something not just covering just one country?

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Paradox nerds lol

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

all these Putin lovers may have a problem, but Ukraine is Kool, Kool, Kool with me

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Sure sounds like V3 has some issues. Honestly if I just want to play fun, well designed games qua games I really don't see what Paradox has to offer; the whole point of their oeuvre is the historical grounding

lobster shirt posted:

that was a deliberate design choice on the part of the devs as they wanted to make a war simulator not a game where you can do the holocaust. whether thats appropriate for a world war 2 game is up for debate but knowing the political beliefs of a big chunk of paradox's player base i think that disallowing the player from meaningfully interacting with civilian populations (except as an abstract number for manpower) is certainly defensible lol

I mean, HoI4 is not a war simulator, it's a meme politics simulator

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Nov 14, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobster shirt posted:

that was a deliberate design choice on the part of the devs as they wanted to make a war simulator not a game where you can do the holocaust. whether thats appropriate for a world war 2 game is up for debate but knowing the political beliefs of a big chunk of paradox's player base i think that disallowing the player from meaningfully interacting with civilian populations (except as an abstract number for manpower) is certainly defensible lol

Yeah, any game mechanic that showed the real or imagined “advantages” to those policies would be pretty horrifying, and a mechanic with penalties like “-20 manpower for being evil”, may not be worth including?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

A question for Frosted Flake, would you recommend any one volume history of land artillery during the 19th century, developments from Waterloo to Ypres. Hopefully something not just covering just one country?

One volume?!?

JK, Field Artillery and Firepower by Bailey, it’s the best general work. We give it out as a retirement present, mine’s signed by the whole Battery. I use it at least once a week to look up something or other.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's more of a hang out with your buddy Mussolini simulator with the newest expansion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

“Unlike other books that either describe the technical aspects of present-day firepower or outline its history during specific wars, this work provides both a detailed explanation of the modern artillery system and a history of its development over the past six hundred fifty years, identifying its enduring principles and changing practices against an ever-changing background of technology, tactics, and strategy. When an earlier version of this book was published in 1989, it became known as the best single source on field artillery in the English language. “

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

yeah, it owns

i pretty much only played hoi4 in co-op with real life friends, playing meme games like "can we conquer the world as communist <insert 3-4 tiny countries>"

stalin's a real friend so it's pretty much always possible lol

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Paradox nerds lol

the best paradox game? cities skylines

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Ukrainian leadership is very online. Kicking CNN out of Kherson for not sufficiently vetting footage seems like a weird own goal. CNN didn't even criticize the Nazi salute.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, any game mechanic that showed the real or imagined “advantages” to those policies would be pretty horrifying, and a mechanic with penalties like “-20 manpower for being evil”, may not be worth including?

implementing dynamite in mines gives an increased death rate to the workforce

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Akaiku posted:

Is.. is Canada in danger of collapse if Ukraine goes first?

inshallah

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The fact that the Ukrainians apparently cannot help themselves despite the entire western media running cover for them is really something else.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Ukrainian leadership is very online. Kicking CNN out of Kherson for not sufficiently vetting footage seems like a weird own goal. CNN didn't even criticize the Nazi salute.

it would have been an own goal if anyone cared lol. western media not even pretending to be anything other than a propaganda machine following around the Ukrainian military and releasing its approved talking points when cleared

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

In older Europa Universalis game genociding native populations was often the most efficient way to colonise some provinces that would otherwise just kill your defenseless settlers faster than you could send them. Of course with the absent logistical models of those games marching a genocidal army of 30000 to completely depopulate central Africa or America presented no issue.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The fact that the Ukrainians apparently cannot help themselves despite the entire western media running cover for them is really something else.

story of this whole thing. Ukrainian state would 100% succeed at projecting the saintly image everyone wants to see if they could stop themselves from bragging about their purge lust, but such things are not possible. but also doesn't matter because people look at that stuff and their brains do the "doesnt look like anything to me" meme

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

implementing dynamite in mines gives an increased death rate to the workforce

Nitroglycerin, I think dynamite is supposed to be safer lol.

If you really want to "kill" people you need to use the violent suppression decree which bumps up mortality rate in the state with turmoil it's used on. Which usually comes from cultures that are being discriminated against. That's about as close as you can get to a genocide.

In older Europa Universalis game genociding native populations was often the most efficient way to colonise some provinces that would otherwise just kill your defenseless settlers faster than you could send them. Of course with the absent logistical models of those games marching a genocidal army of 30000 to completely depopulate central Africa or America presented no issue.
I think they try to account for some of that in this one. Although most of it again is from hardcoded stuff like "malaria" is here in this place.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this latest round of reprisals has actually been reported upon in mainstream western news sources, though in quite sanitised terms. i was honestly taken a little aback at that, and it may have spooked the ukrainian leadership

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thank you for posting the ayn rand account mentioning the wapo article

e: :amerikkka:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

It would be worse overall to give players the option to forego the holocaust, giving the impression that its possible to do fascism without doing fascism.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1592252447422320640

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can see a situation where Russia picks a line close to the current one and western europe dial back their arms to a trickle and russia only does retaliatory strikes

With a peace treaty and no arms being delivered, enthusiasm for a ukrainian war would fizzle out pretty quickly

Edit: pull out of kherson sure seems like a concession Russia was willing to make to get NATO to agree to ceasefire or at least drastically reduce weapons inflow

Hadlock has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Nov 14, 2022

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

It kind of reminds me of how Canada promised no Reservists would be sent to Afghanistan, which was fine for doing Bosnia stuff in Kabul, was (“allegedly”) bullied into taking over Kandahar, tried a couple Regular Force tours and realized we were in over our heads, told the public limited qualified Reservists could volunteer, created a program to Strongly Encourage employers to let Reservists deploy, said no Reserve units would deploy as a whole (no whole Regular force units deploy either - Canada uses the Regimental System, the public doesn’t know), and then by 2008-10 at least half, probably more of the manpower, things like all of the helicopter door gunners, everybody doing detainee transport, all of the PRT security details, somehow those are all Reservists.

It wasn’t quite slowly boiling a frog, but it was definitely gaming public reaction. The official line that no Reserve units deployed did a lot to make this fuzzy to people not paying attention, because they didn’t parade to the airport and at homecoming like we did. It was far less visible.

But, lol and this goes back to the Regimental System thing, after the war Reserve units got Afghan Battle Honours. Without going into all of the details, Princess Anne does not fly to your city to present new Colours with “Afghanistan” inscribed on them if you sent one or two guys on an entirely individual voluntary basis.

Huh, Canada decided to formally recognise their volunteers?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I can see a situation where Russia picks a line close to the current one and western europe dial back their arms to a trickle and russia only does retaliatory strikes

With a peace treaty and no arms being delivered, enthusiasm for a ukrainian war would fizzle out pretty quickly

and Ukraine's continued decline at the hands of western exploitation and owing their soul to the IMF, all the arms that have mysteriously gone missing wind up being used to commit terrorist attacks across the continent. etc.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

One volume?!?

JK, Field Artillery and Firepower by Bailey, it’s the best general work. We give it out as a retirement present, mine’s signed by the whole Battery. I use it at least once a week to look up something or other.

Thank you very much, though my question was on the 19th century I am honestly in the dark about 16th and 17th century specifics...

My layman understanding always ran something like:
15th century - if you have any sizable amount of artillery you can roll over old medieval castles, the golden age of the Huge Bombard
16th century - trace italienne puts the the advantage back with the defenders as metallurgy and ballistics are still primitive
17th century - leather cannons and stuff for field battles; while for sieges...?? Vauban is around and I guess metallurgy develops...?
18th century - Newton's calculus and gravity give the first scientific understanding of ballistics, and centralised fiscal-military states can properly standardise artillery parks
19th century - start out with 18th century artillery, end with 20th century artillery, obviously a whole lot going on in between!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Truga posted:

yeah, it owns

i pretty much only played hoi4 in co-op with real life friends, playing meme games like "can we conquer the world as communist <insert 3-4 tiny countries>"

stalin's a real friend so it's pretty much always possible lol

It's kid of telling how every major HoI4 mod treats the actual combat system as a chore to get through until you can trigger the next set of political RP events

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

It's kid of telling how every major HoI4 mod treats the actual combat system as a chore to get through until you can trigger the next set of political RP events

Much like putin treats the war in the ukraine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah. Kaiserreich is all about fighting WW2 with a different flavour of revanchism. Old World Blues is almost pure combat with a lot less narrative than other mods I've seen.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Nah. Kaiserreich is all about fighting WW2 with a different flavour of revanchism. Old World Blues is almost pure combat with a lot less narrative than other mods I've seen.

KR is about what if the KMT was actually good.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

If anyone cared about playing Hearts of Iron for the wargame gameplay why is the primary focus of these mods on their alternate reality narrative state?

With Old World Blues people aren't clamouring for HoI gameplay, they want to play around in the narrative world they know from RPGs.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

KR is about what if the KMT was actually good.

The left KMT is real and it's still good :colbert:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Atrocious Joe posted:

the EU already needs to build walls to keep out the jungle. a Ukrainian DMZ is able to both resist Russia and prevent migrants from getting into the garden.

Am I missing something? It's not known to be a significant pathway and Belarus only became one last year, allegedly due to Lukashenko's policies.
https://frontex.europa.eu/we-know/migratory-map/

Hadlock posted:

Are they mostly concerned about the HIMARS and Javelins or what. Looks like they've built 45k javelins so surely the manufacturing capacity is there?

It was there. Remember these things were originally built in the 90s. They are trying to up production from 2k to 4k annually.
https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2022/05/09/lockheed-aiming-to-double-javelin-production-seeks-supply-chain-crank-up/

Lostconfused posted:

Nitroglycerin, I think dynamite is supposed to be safer lol.

It's a major ingredient in many smokeless powders, so close.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Paradox nerds lol

As someone who has played tons of paradox games, this is probably the only post of yours that I think is both good and correct.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

If anyone cared about playing Hearts of Iron for the wargame gameplay why is the primary focus of these mods on their alternate reality narrative state?

Because paradox made the map moddable?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Look if you want to talk about genocide then I think you should talk about it and not diminish the issue by contextualizing it through a bad game that refuses to address that point because it's a politically sensitive topic that gets in the way of their cultural/national/ideological power fantasy.

Looking at the world through the lens of a paradox game is no way to live.

That's why Stellaris is the best Paradox game.

You can't feel bad about purging slugmen.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/StefanTompson/status/1590944415115509760

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Truga posted:

the only good paradox game is stellaris because it doesn't shy away from the stupider topics of empires

in hoi4, the whole "actually, germany is doing a triple genocide to everyone south or east of them" never comes up at all lmfao, at least in stellaris i can purge the heretic space elves

Thank you.