Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

*looks at grime over literally every inch of literally every surface*

Interesting, and you say you want to work in the food service industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Convinced OP’s actual side hustle is flipping restaurant equipment and that the rest of this is just trolling that Goons are glad to jump on.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Bushido Brown posted:

Convinced OP’s actual side hustle is flipping restaurant equipment and that the rest of this is just trolling that Goons are glad to jump on.

I’ve got a bunch of extra poo poo I’m gonna post it for sale and see how close to free I get my kitchen outfitted for

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My dude, learn to embed images. Wrap the direct url to the imgur links in [timg][/timg]. If you're using the app it'll do it for you.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Is everything you own dirty and disgusting???

I wouldn’t say I -own- your mom

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

I wouldn’t say I -own- your mom

Get his rear end

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

My dude, learn to embed images. Wrap the direct url to the imgur links in [timg][/timg]. If you're using the app it'll do it for you.

Lol

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Rationale posted:

Putting all the coffee stuff in my basement so it doesn’t freeze and burst

E: https://imgur.com/a/S3LHsyO

E: https://imgur.com/a/5C0Ivaz

E: https://imgur.com/a/O815yvE

E: https://imgur.com/a/TRPE4Xl

Now I know this is a troll.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Made 26 donuts out of $6 of ingredients.

Love my little tailgate rig.

Used lard this time it was great

The one scrap I fried came out looking like a pig.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
OP that does not look appetizing at all.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
My advice is to do whatever you want with the donuts as long as you set up a wall of video slot machines in the building and hook some regulars in to play them.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My advice is to do whatever you want with the donuts as long as you set up a wall of video slot machines in the building and hook some regulars in to play them.

Thank you, another voice of reason.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
26 donuts for $6 isn't really great. How does lard compare to shortening regarding shelf stability and cost? We used shortening, is lard as cost-effective?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cool non vegetarian plain donuts

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It does look like a piggy :3:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bloody posted:

Lard piled high

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there a small business association you can turn to, for advice and help before you start up your business? A lot of small business can fail within the first year because of poor planning in terms of determining costs for inventory, equipment, etc. At the very least, any small business should have enough money for three months of rent in case of unexpected losses. Do you have food licenses, etc? Like even the hotdog vendors in New York need vendor licenses, permit to be in certain spaces, etc.

I hope you plan well and do well.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 14, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
If ohio were donuts they'd be these donuts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cursedshitbox posted:

If ohio were donuts they'd be these donuts

Even the shittiest donut is better than living in Ohio.

Source: lives in Ohio

OP when you start selling be sure to post an address, I will drive up to 30 minutes to get internet donuts.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bloody posted:

Maybe OP can market them to boomers.

"Remember when donuts used to have real lard and women knew their place? Relive the past at OP's donuts!"

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sounds like a bunch of pussy rear end coasters, lard is a legit ingredient. If you sell
Them, so do it, now, get customer feedback and execute.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Made 26 donuts out of $6 of ingredients.

Love my little tailgate rig.

Used lard this time it was great

The one scrap I fried came out looking like a pig.

These don’t look good enough to sell. I like a rustic product in general but that’s unacceptable. Color, shape are both unappetizing. Also have you weighed the product for oil retention? You need to know how much grease you’re selling people.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think another major issue is that if you give out a bunch of donuts now, people will expect the donuts at your shop to be the same. It sounds like they'll be totally different since you'll switch from backyard "idk I guess this works" to commercial mixes and machines, but a lot of people will already have made up their minds

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got the tude now posted:

These don’t look good enough to sell.

This was my thought as well. No-one is going to buy these, no matter how small your margin is.

You really, really need to go and work for someone who actually makes commercial quality doughnuts to understand the process and how to make them look nice.

You need to be consistently turning out great looking doughnuts, it doesn’t matter how good you think they taste, people will only buy them if they look visually appealing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Scientastic posted:

This was my thought as well. No-one is going to buy these, no matter how small your margin is.

You really, really need to go and work for someone who actually makes commercial quality doughnuts to understand the process and how to make them look nice.

You need to be consistently turning out great looking doughnuts, it doesn’t matter how good you think they taste, people will only buy gamble their health and safety on them if they look visually appealing.
It's important to remember you're an unknown factor to everyone at this point, you should be trying to get feedback immediately and having presentable product is a key part of that

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Things I plan on doing differently next time:

Level the skillet to mitigate the cold spots

Roll out the dough thinner so the doughnuts aren’t so dense

Waller out the hole some so it’s big enough to hold some finish

Finish the donuts so you guys quit screaming about how ugly they are

Lard: it was worth a try but I probably won’t buy it again. It worked better than corn oil but not by much and I could smell pig as the fryer was heating up. No reason to make everything nonvegan nonkosher nonhalal and no living past fifty.

I’ve got maybe three more test runs before thanksgiving

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's not an issue of finish, everybody knows they are unfinished donuts. They have serious appearance deficiencies.

You also didn't mention anything about weighing them. Donuts famously soak up oil like crazy; tude now was saying earlier in the thread that he, an experienced professional baker, has trouble with this. Start caring about it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

that can be the OP's gimmick, completely inconsistent product quality

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tempora Mutantur posted:

that can be the OP's gimmick, completely inconsistent product quality

artisan donuts

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

artisan donuts

Artesian donuts. They take no effort and they're coming whether you want them or not.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

artisan donuts

This is offensive to artisans

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Fartisan donuts then?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I legitimately can't tell if those are yeast or cake donuts. Yeast/honey rings should be a nice gold color. Either way, you're overcooking them. What are you using for temp control for the oil? Are you literally just using a fire in your backyard?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I love donuts and this thread is making me sad

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I legitimately can't tell if those are yeast or cake donuts. Yeast/honey rings should be a nice gold color. Either way, you're overcooking them. What are you using for temp control for the oil? Are you literally just using a fire in your backyard?

Self-rising flour so kind of both?

I’d been using a candy thermometer but I suspected a cold spot so I got a laser thermometer and lol yep.

Some of the color might be from the pumpkin pie spice that I added.

And it’s a propane burner, one that won’t burn low enough to keep the oil at 350.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
A shallow skillet like that is going to brutally cold spot. There's a reason an actual deep fryer is pretty deep even if you're only using the surface.

Get a $20 dutch oven from Target or something if you insist on experimenting in a mud pit instead of cleaning the equipment you own.

Don't start with gimmick donuts idiot you still need to make your normal ones not suck. Start a yeast batch.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Self-rising flour so kind of both?

Self-rising flour isn't a yeast donut, you dipshit. It means that the chemical leaveners (baking soda or baking powder) have already been added. Are you putting extra leaveners in your cake donuts?

You don't know the first loving thing about the absolute most basic part of your donut business: how to make donuts

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Keep negging me there’s nothing I want more than goon approval

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rationale posted:

Keep negging me there’s nothing I want more than goon approval

ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU