Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe the "I like to start around 11" was a little too cheeky. Other than that, I can't see how that exchange was in any way "insubordination", unless the company policy is "Elon Musk is literally infallible". Which, given what I've seen, might very well be official company policy. Otherwise, all I saw was an employee giving a detailed answer about why Twitter had performance problems on Android, and possible solutions to that.

I have found open disagreements with superiors in public forums to be career limiting moves in corporate America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Slammu posted:

I have found open disagreements with superiors in public forums to be career limiting moves in corporate America.

Yes this is so obviously and generally such a stupid thing to do that it only makes sense that it happened if the employee engaging in it was already in "IDGAF" mode, which it turns out they were.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol that guy got fired for answering Elon truthfully and respectfully but also proving him wrong.

https://twitter.com/dankim/status/1592121646697037827

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Elon is gonna try to do his recommendations and Columbus them for himself.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1592183893117259776

Hopefully, Schumer can get 10 Rs on board.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

let's say this passes, is there anything stopping our lovely fascist SCOTUS from just striking it down anyways?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

pencilhands posted:

let's say this passes, is there anything stopping our lovely fascist SCOTUS from just striking it down anyways?

No, but SCOTUS also legalized gay marriage. So, this bill doesn't really change the status quo and just makes it slightly more difficult for SCOTUS to overturn itself.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

pencilhands posted:

It makes it harder. SCOTUS wouldn't be able to strike it down the way they did Roe, by reversing themselves.

Maybe think about it this way: they'd have to argue that same sex marriage itself is unconstitutional.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pencilhands posted:

It would be difficult to thread the needle of preserving the government's power to define marriage at all but not allowing them to have that definition include same-sex marriage. The constitution has no text about this whatsoever. I'm sure they'll try, though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

haveblue posted:

The constitution has no text about this whatsoever.

For maximum comedy they would strike down any same sex marriage law in a way that also makes the Air Force unconstitutional.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ethiser posted:

For maximum comedy they would strike down any same sex marriage law in a way that also makes the Air Force unconstitutional.

Honestly that could be a tempting trade for some people.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly that could be a tempting trade for some people.

Is there some big Army Air Corps revanchist movement I've been unaware of?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Big Slammu posted:

I mean, yes, but the boss saying, in a public forum, "actually my employees are stupid incompetent loving morons" is admittedly rare, even for spectacularly bad bosses.

The developer didn't say "Elon is a big stupid doo-doo-head", but rather Micropenusk decided to go off about some stupid poo poo he doesn't understand in a public forum, essentially making GBS threads directly on this developer and his team, and the developer responded professionally in the same forum. Is there another good choice?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

I mean, yes, but the boss saying, in a public forum, "actually my employees are stupid incompetent loving morons" is admittedly rare, even for spectacularly bad bosses.

The developer didn't say "Elon is a big stupid doo-doo-head", but rather Micropenusk decided to go off about some stupid poo poo he doesn't understand in a public forum, essentially making GBS threads directly on this developer and his team, and the developer responded professionally in the same forum. Is there another good choice?

You're forgetting the part where executives are petty dictators that wield their power in a very insecure manner.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Musk is just fishing for people to blame when his "investment" goes belly up. We don't need to pretend this is a normal work environment where people are respected for doing the same jobs people do elsewhere in America. We don't need to pretend that Twitter is some special company where normal workers deserve hostility over shitholes like Sodexo or Palantir because they are a social media company. Musk is wrong, the workers are right to say whatever they want, because the company is on it's way to bankruptcy and workers are not respected. Period.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Under the circumstances the developer in question is actually making a brilliant career move.

No other tech company wants to be Twitter right now, and Elon Musk is becoming a public enemy. By getting fired for literally doing your job in public, other techs are going to probably want to look like the bigger man by reaching out to the guy. Under any other circumstances it would probably result in the opposite but in this precise moment it may actually pay off to call out Elon in public.

It's so funny because Elon's strategy is clearly to do the most empty brained business stuff imaginable while also blaming his forbearers and his current employees for the state of things at Twitter. He's trying to defer blame for a company he literally just took over. Like Jesus Elon give it a year before you start blaming the company for your failure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mendrian posted:

Under the circumstances the developer in question is actually making a brilliant career move.

No other tech company wants to be Twitter right now, and Elon Musk is becoming a public enemy. By getting fired for literally doing your job in public, other techs are going to probably want to look like the bigger man by reaching out to the guy. Under any other circumstances it would probably result in the opposite but in this precise moment it may actually pay off to call out Elon in public.

It's so funny because Elon's strategy is clearly to do the most empty brained business stuff imaginable while also blaming his forbearers and his current employees for the state of things at Twitter. He's trying to defer blame for a company he literally just took over. Like Jesus Elon give it a year before you start blaming the company for your failure.

Agreed 100%.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
The guy he fired won the San Diegan of the year award hahaha.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
the reply tweets to anything musk tweets are just gross and dumb as hell
e: not really USCE newsworthy I guess but still it's infuriating to see the people who just non critically take anything musk says as the smartest thing ever and think he's a genius at all things tech

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Levitate posted:

the reply tweets to anything musk tweets are just gross and dumb as hell
e: not really USCE newsworthy I guess but still it's infuriating to see the people who just non critically take anything musk says as the smartest thing ever and think he's a genius at all things tech

They want permission from the universe to be just as unapologetically callous, belligerent, un-self-critical, and self-important. And if he's seen as a faultless God, this legitimizes their own numerous shortcomings, as opposed to necessitating a moment of self-reflection.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pencilhands posted:

It's extremely unlikely. Overturning Obergefell would be easy, since the Court can just say "hey, that ruling was wrong, there's no constitutional right to same-sex marriage". Overturning a law specifically passed by Congress is far more difficult, because then it's not relying on constitutional rights anymore - it's an explicit act of Congress creating a new law. To overturn that, the Supreme Court would have to rule that same-sex marriage is straight-up unconstitutional, and that would require some pretty tortured logic.

Sure, they can say whatever the heck they want. But if same-sex marriage has strong enough support that the Dems are able to pass it even in the current hyper-partisan landscape (requiring either 9+ GOP flips or an overturning of the filibuster), it's unlikely the Supreme Court would go against that, for fear off giving ammo to the "expand/reform the court" arguments.

When it comes to clashes between the Supreme Court and Congress, it's very much about soft power rather than hard rules. The Supreme Court interprets laws, while Congress writes laws, and neither of them is clearly supreme. That ultimately leads to quite a bit of room for the two branches to push back against each other. The Supreme Court can say "actually we think this law says X", and then Congress can pass a new law saying "actually, this law definitely means Y", and so on. If the Supreme Court gets too bullshit with its interpretations or relies too heavily on nonsense Constitutional arguments to shut Congress out, Congress can use their control over the structure of the Court to fight back.

Ultimately, the Supreme Court usually wins not because it's more powerful but because it's more stable. Not being subject to elections means that it's able to resist the political winds and popular opinion to some extent and stubbornly stick to the same position for long periods of time, while Congress inevitably changes its positions and focus every few years as regular elections shift its membership around and political feuding weakens its resolve.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ethiser posted:

No they'll just kick it down to the states and say the Feds have no basis to legislate.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

If the Supreme Court gets too bullshit with its interpretations or relies too heavily on nonsense Constitutional arguments to shut Congress out, Congress can use their control over the structure of the Court to fight back.

Remains to be seen given they handed W the presidency, struck down a law passed by congress that was 100% within congress’ right (voting rights act), gutted the 4th amendment to the point of being meaningless, and killed Roe v Wade on the basis of “nuh uh”.

The Supreme Court today is illegitimate (I’d argue it always has been given how the constitution offers no expressed powers).

If anyone was going to do something they already would have.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DynamicSloth posted:

No they'll just kick it down to the states and say the Feds have no basis to legislate.

If, and this is a big, big if, they wanted to block such a thing, this is indeed the justification that they would attempt to use. However, I am not sure it passes muster. Individual state marriage laws have always struck me as pretty odd. It's a bit of a disaster if one state recognizes your marriage but another doesn't.

We can try to claim marriage as this personal or spiritual or sacred thing all we want, but at the end of the day, as far as the government and all entities outside the marriage are concerned, it's just a financial contract, and probably the most common kind of contract outside of general employment. Leaving that up to the states is more trouble than it's worth.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Vire posted:

The guy he fired won the San Diegan of the year award hahaha.

On further inspection this was a joke about the San Diegan of the year award going to "You, the vaccinated" in a lame copout.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, but SCOTUS also legalized gay marriage. So, this bill doesn't really change the status quo and just makes it slightly more difficult for SCOTUS to overturn itself.

I completely disagree with this. It's only more difficult if you believe the court is constrained by internally consistent logic. It is not. They can do whatever the hell they want to do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I completely disagree with this. It's only more difficult if you believe the court is constrained by internally consistent logic. It is not. They can do whatever the hell they want to do.

That's why I said slightly. They have to come up with a slightly more complicated reason than "the constitution doesn't explicitly say this is a thing."

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

That's why I said slightly. They have to come up with a slightly more complicated reason than "the constitution doesn't explicitly say this is a thing."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Marriage is one of those rare issues that is pretty fundamental to life and society, but is completely unaddressed in any way in the constitution and there are no federal laws regulating who can perform a marriage or how they have to be organized, so you can just do whatever you want with it.

The rules around the internet can be extrapolated from the first amendment or property laws.

The air force can be extrapolated out of the rules governing the military.

But, marriage is just a complete blank slate in the constitution. You don't really have to work that hard to find a way to justify what you want or worry about messing any other rights up to just do whatever you want with marriage in the constitution.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Loving v Virginia is something I'd be 0% surprised if the Court struck down though. "X has always been this way" doesn't mean poo poo when actual fascists possess de facto control of the Supreme Court. Sure they have chosen to practice at least some care in what they do, but that isn't a guarantee of safety for any particular issue. The only constraint they have is to not undo civil rights too precipitously. They seem content to dole out these absurd decisions slowly, in a effort to maintain an obviously fake facade of legitimacy. But they could change their minds on that at any time as well.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 14, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Remains to be seen given they handed W the presidency, struck down a law passed by congress that was 100% within congress’ right (voting rights act), gutted the 4th amendment to the point of being meaningless, and killed Roe v Wade on the basis of “nuh uh”.

The Supreme Court today is illegitimate (I’d argue it always has been given how the constitution offers no expressed powers).

If anyone was going to do something they already would have.

The Voting Rights Act preclearance stuff is a perfect example, because the Shelby County ruling didn't say preclearance is unconstitutional in general or something. They just ruled that the preclearance coverage formula was based on data that was too far in the past, and that they needed to base the preclearance coverage on current conditions, not on the conditions in 1975.

There was nothing in the decision that stopped Congress from passing a new preclearance requirement with a new coverage formula based on up-to-date data. The reason the preclearance requirement hasn't been restore isn't because the Supreme Court is too powerful, it's because Congress is too dysfunctional to come up with a new preclearance formula (which is the entire reason why they were using a preclearance formula from half a century ago in the first place).

But for Congress to pass a bill enshrining same-sex marriage in law, then either 9-10 Republicans have to flip and vote with the Dems, or 50 Dems have to vote to overturn the filibuster. Either one would suggest an unusually strong degree of Congressional will to pass that law - and thus a higher chance of stirring up political trouble and an actual Congressional backlash by overturning it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason the preclearance requirement hasn't been restore isn't because the Supreme Court is too powerful, it's because Congress is too dysfunctional to come up with a new preclearance formula (which is the entire reason why they were using a preclearance formula from half a century ago in the first place).

It was well understood that this would be the outcome.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Loving v Virginia is something I'd be 0% surprised if the Court struck down though. "X has always been this way" doesn't mean poo poo when actual fascists possess de facto control of the Supreme Court. Sure they have chosen to practice at least some care in what they do, but that isn't a guarantee of safety for any particular issue. The only constraint they have is to not undo civil rights too precipitously. They seem content to dole out these absurd decisions slowly, in a effort to maintain an obviously fake facade of legitimacy. But they could change their minds on that at any time as well.

I think Thomas and company are going to dance around Loving due to Thomas' self-interest in keeping it around.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Reversing Loving would only hurt people in Chud states that can't afford to move somewhere else (so not him). Also, if there's a man alive so far up his own rear end that he'd write a Court opinion nullifying his own marriage, it would be Clarence Thomas.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

More details

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1592254542443266048

IANAL, but I believe the full faith and credit part means that even if a state were to ban SSM, it would still have to recognize out of state marriages.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think Thomas and company are going to dance around Loving due to Thomas' self-interest in keeping it around.

I could see Thomas arguing against Loving and wanting to strike it down but having himself as an exception. Something like " I am sure the constitution would be against Loving except for Supreme Court Justices" or some bs. I get the vibe that he and his wife care more about owning the libs/destroying good things than care about each other.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Veryslightlymad posted:

If, and this is a big, big if, they wanted to block such a thing, this is indeed the justification that they would attempt to use. However, I am not sure it passes muster. Individual state marriage laws have always struck me as pretty odd. It's a bit of a disaster if one state recognizes your marriage but another doesn't.

We can try to claim marriage as this personal or spiritual or sacred thing all we want, but at the end of the day, as far as the government and all entities outside the marriage are concerned, it's just a financial contract, and probably the most common kind of contract outside of general employment. Leaving that up to the states is more trouble than it's worth.

specifically pre-Lawrence iirc full faith and credit meant gay marriages from good states were legally required to be recognized in bad states

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

But, marriage is just a complete blank slate in the constitution. You don't really have to work that hard to find a way to justify what you want or worry about messing any other rights up to just do whatever you want with marriage in the constitution.
Eh, I'm not sure I buy marriage being particularly unique. Marriage for the most part falls under the 10th Amendment just like education. With education, the government has no Constitutional powers, but educational institutions are still bound by the Constitution which is why the Supreme Court can rule on things regarding education. Like with education, the 14th Amendment casts a long shadow over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lol that guy got fired for answering Elon truthfully and respectfully but also proving him wrong.

https://twitter.com/dankim/status/1592121646697037827

The comparisons to our forums grows ever apt. I did not expect twitter to have that much technical debt.