Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Scholtz posted:

when do you get the running shoes

You unlock it while walking with the starters in the first few minutes of the game

Your bike gets its running shoes by fighting a giant crab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

If you've gotten your hands on a ditto may I request a baby Sprigatito? If you have a shiny you'd like in return I'm sitting on a hoard in SW/SH and Legends.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 14, 2022

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Flopsy posted:

If you've gotten your hands on a ditto may I request a baby Sprigatito? If you have a shiny you'd like in return I'm sitting on a hoard in SW/SH and Legends.

i don't have any access to online functionality

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Scholtz posted:

Oh yeah it was a joke based on the Running Shoes key item, introduced in Gen 3, which allows you to run when holding the B button. You used to get them after anywhere from 10-20 minutes of agonizing slow walking everywhere until in Gen 6 where you started getting them immediately

Don't tell me I won't need to do some silly quest to get a bike voucher anymore

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if there's a bike i didn't find it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for the Tera Raids, if you choose “Battle as a Group” do you need multiplayer for that or can you use computer controlled trainers like in the last game (and if so, are they any smarter than the ones in SwSh)?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

battle as group is multiplayer. if you pick battle alone you get AI buddies

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Do we know how long it takes to soft reset for starter Pokemon?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

battle as group is multiplayer. if you pick battle alone you get AI buddies

So returning to my second question then, is the AI any smarter than it was in Gen 8?

Also is there a means of telling what level the Raid Pokemon you’re going up against is beforehand?

Finally aside from the gym challenge how do you go about starting the other two stories in the game?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I feel like I'm 11 years old again, but better.

For the first time since like GSC, my three best friends and I are all getting S/V on Day 1, and it's one of their birthdays that same day.

We're all gonna get together (wives, girlfriends and dogs are invited too) to eat pizza and wings* and play co-op all night. But now we're grown-rear end adults with mortgages and poo poo, so no one can tell us to pipe down.

I can't wait. :)

*I'm trying to convince them to just buy a bunch of deli meats/cheese and baguettes and make a shitton of sandwiches instead, to stay in theme.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vinylshadow posted:

Your bike gets its running shoes by fighting a giant crab

Can I catch the giant crab.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

So returning to my second question then, is the AI any smarter than it was in Gen 8?

Also is there a means of telling what level the Raid Pokemon you’re going up against is beforehand?

Finally aside from the gym challenge how do you go about starting the other two stories in the game?

dunno, didn't raid much in gen 8. they don't seem super smart tho

yeah, level seems to be based off of the star rating, which you see before you choose to raid

they all start at the same time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dunno, didn't raid much in gen 8. they don't seem super smart tho

yeah, level seems to be based off of the star rating, which you see before you choose to raid

they all start at the same time

Gotcha. So while you can go anywhere right from the start I assume the game at least gives you some sort of recommendation on where to go next (be it a marker of some kind or as a line during a story sequence)?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

i don't have any access to online functionality

Bummer.

PittTheElder posted:

Don't tell me I won't need to do some silly quest to get a bike voucher anymore

You ride your box legendary.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Flopsy posted:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to train my female Mr. Mime.

You can say Jynx in this thread,... just don't make a habit out of it.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Female Mr. Mimes are valid

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

Female Mr. Mimes are valid

Ms. Mime if you will.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

You can say Jynx in this thread,... just don't make a habit out of it.

Mr. Mimes can be both genders so I meant what I said sir. I take such affairs with utmost seriousness considering the purity and immaculate nature of Gen 1 pokemon. To do otherwise would be a great disservice.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
When I was younger and GEN1 was all that existed, I clued in to the fact that my pokedex-guide told me there was a pair of non-evolving psychic pokemon species that were vaguely humanshaped - one named Mr. Mime and the other looking like a blonde female opera singer.

At the time pokemon genders and breeding hadn't been 'discovered' yet, but it was fairly obvious to my kid-brain that this was a dogs = boys, cats = girls situation :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
is alakazam like pluto in this family setup

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IronicDongz posted:

Donald duck because Alakazam doesn't wear pants

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

IronicDongz posted:

Alakazam is the dog you 'sent to a farm upstate' that's actually doing better than before with all the extra room to roam... psychically

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

When I was younger and GEN1 was all that existed, I clued in to the fact that my pokedex-guide told me there was a pair of non-evolving psychic pokemon species that were vaguely humanshaped - one named Mr. Mime and the other looking like a blonde female opera singer.

At the time pokemon genders and breeding hadn't been 'discovered' yet, but it was fairly obvious to my kid-brain that this was a dogs = boys, cats = girls situation :colbert:

To be fair that probably was the original intention.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
It was kind of interesting to see Mr. Mime get a Psychic/Ice variant though, matching Jynx in that way many generations later

E: speaking of variants, excited to see how viable Hisuian 'mons will be

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mr Mime's Japanese name isn't gendered at all, nor does the mon look more Male-leaning than your average stick figure. I think it was just a weird localization coincidence

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

His head is a batman

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If anyone is still fielding questions who has played the leaked roms, are there any good proper dungeon segments? I didn't like that SwSh especially didn't have any area where it felt like it was a maze or you were trapped in a challenge, it was just a straight run down whatever route.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

It was kind of interesting to see Mr. Mime get a Psychic/Ice variant though, matching Jynx in that way many generations later

E: speaking of variants, excited to see how viable Hisuian 'mons will be

Kind of a shame they didn't introduce a psychic/fairy Jynx evolution this generation to match it.

Re: viability, Joey "pokeaimMD" just did a breakdown of a few of them today and how they'll be benefitting to the changes made from PLA (spoiler: a lot of them are going to be very good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDUSD1KWIw

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like each of the Hisuian mons will be very strong in whichever tier it ends up in, barring any who get banished to borderline

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jynx wasn't meant to be a Mr. Mime counterpart, she was a counterpart to Electabuzz and Magmar, but whoops the whole blackface controversy stopped her from getting a Gen IV evo like they did.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

titans/herba mystica: there's five of them and each one gives your rideable pokemon a new ability. 99% sure you get the abilities in a set order and doesn't matter which titan you kill. first is swimming, second is dashing, third is high jump, fourth is gliding, fifth is climbing vertical walls.

I got dashing as my first ability so I think they are actually connected to the specific titan.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vandar posted:

Jynx wasn't meant to be a Mr. Mime counterpart, she was a counterpart to Electabuzz and Magmar, but whoops the whole blackface controversy stopped her from getting a Gen IV evo like they did.

It’s this. Fire-Thunder-Ice is the traditional JRPG element triangle. They also all got Gen 2 babies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

spoilers for scarlet/violet ahead!!! thought i would talk about the rewards from each of the three storylines for people who might be interested; they're designed level-wise to have you pingpong from one activity to the next but maybe you want one kind of reward over another and want to beeline for it. who knows, i'm not you.

gyms: gym badges, like always, let you catch + control pokemon of an increasing higher level. doesn't matter which badge you get in which order, each badge gives you +5 level to catch/control.

titans/herba mystica: there's five of them and each one gives your rideable pokemon a new ability. 99% sure you get the abilities in a set order and doesn't matter which titan you kill. first is swimming, second is dashing, third is high jump, fourth is gliding, fifth is climbing vertical walls.

star bases: you're given LP (as good as cash in most (all?) stores, also used to craft TMs) and a bunch of pokemon materials, used for crafting TMs.

hope that helps someone out there!!! enjoy!!!

On the titan point order does matter I think I beat the crab first and got dashing

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Kind of a shame they didn't introduce a psychic/fairy Jynx evolution this generation to match it.

Re: viability, Joey "pokeaimMD" just did a breakdown of a few of them today and how they'll be benefitting to the changes made from PLA (spoiler: a lot of them are going to be very good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDUSD1KWIw

lmao they gave my boy Ursaluna Guts, Facade, Belly Drum, and Drain Punch. Slap a ground move on and he is to crush.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I got dashing as my first ability so I think they are actually connected to the specific titan.

Blockhouse posted:

On the titan point order does matter I think I beat the crab first and got dashing

well dang then

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

hopeandjoy posted:

It’s this. Fire-Thunder-Ice is the traditional JRPG element triangle. They also all got Gen 2 babies.

They're also the only Gen I 'mons that learn the elemental punches aside from Hitmonchan, and they also all have 'Boo' in their Japanese names.

(Okay Jynx doesn't have it in her name but beta Jynx did so it still counts.)

They're also right beside each other in the Pokedex.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Re: Abilities

The first titan to the west is Swimming as an ability. Everything advertised so far assumes you start off going to the east from the city, but there's an equally weak gym leader and titan to the west.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Eimi posted:

If anyone is still fielding questions who has played the leaked roms, are there any good proper dungeon segments? I didn't like that SwSh especially didn't have any area where it felt like it was a maze or you were trapped in a challenge, it was just a straight run down whatever route.

This and the difficulty were my two big questions so yeah if anyone can weigh in on this, that'd be great.

I guess it might be tough for them to make a treacherous mountainous path or spooky forest when you can just up and fly away or whatever. Would be good if they could have caves and stuff though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can you throw berries and sometimes mudballs at pokemon in the wild like in PLA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you throw berries and sometimes mudballs at pokemon in the wild like in PLA?

no

Dehry posted:

Re: Abilities

The first titan to the west is Swimming as an ability. Everything advertised so far assumes you start off going to the east from the city, but there's an equally weak gym leader and titan to the west.

yeah i went west first