Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Irish Canteen Sushi are at their haunting best with the new EP Leave now and you can never return.

$8, no Paypal purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Twitter $44,000,000,000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Cut back on data.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

"I was hacked by the (((left))) 🤣🤣"

UPDATE: Two Factor Authentication has been replaced with a CAPTCHA that asks users to type out the 14 words

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I really do wonder what it feels like to be the walking, talking embodiment of the Dunning Kruger effect.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Cut back on data.

no 🤣🤣🤣

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Twitter $44,000,000,000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Drop the family, that's an expensive hobby

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rent is unnecessary if you sleep on the meeting room floor.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Musk probably just assumes everyone is like him and obsessively scans twitter all day, every day and never logs off, so why would they need a working authenticator system to log in?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

PhazonLink posted:

does twitter still use text based 2FA?

lol

uh , SMS to an associated phone number can be a better way to make sure the person is the person compared to an email of firstnamelastname@gmail.com with the password "clownpenisfart" which can be found in those good rear end leaks.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Twitter is so bad because liberals don’t know how to code. It’s JavaScript not wokescript you dumb snowflakes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Live feed of Elon tweaking the Twitter backend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WQ1tdxSqI

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

uh , SMS to an associated phone number can be a better way to make sure the person is the person compared to an email of firstnamelastname@gmail.com with the password "clownpenisfart" which can be found in those good rear end leaks.

the problem with SMS 2FA, at least in the US, is that the infrastructure basically runs on the honor system and it's incredibly easy for bad actors to intercept someone else's SMS

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Strong Sauce posted:

is your username related with the company you worked at

It isn't, but in retrospect it might be thought to be related. If you know the area, it was based out of Cherrywood.
The actual company got seized by the US feds for crazy finance violations, and the CEO went to prison for a while but had those magic rich guy heart problems that go away once they let you out of jail.
He was an absolute prick anyway, I met him a few times and he was the sleaziest mf I ever met.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

EVIL Gibson posted:

Yes but it is also apparently alarmingly easy to steal someone's phone number apparently. Last I heard it was generally pretty easy to convince reps over the phone to transfer your account to a new SIM or whatever. Even if you have previously told them to keep your account locked.

At the very least anywhere that cares about security should support tokens/apps for 2FA

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

the problem with SMS 2FA, at least in the US, is that the infrastructure basically runs on the honor system and it's incredibly easy for bad actors to intercept someone else's SMS

that only matters if youre a politician or famous and their accounts getting hacked is funny so ill allow it

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Remember a while back there was some picture link where if you clicked it, it automatically posted itself to your twitter feed. Is there a way to make one of those that ALSO logs you out of twitter and send to Musk that pretends its a headline supporting him or something?

I mean I'm sure he'll just find a way to force his account to be able to log in again but I would love if all the people who click whatever he posts were to also be logged out.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/Popeska/status/1592179502838435847

How is he so bad at this.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Guys you don't need two factor authentication, if you email twittersupport5737285743@gmail.com they can get you back into your account with just the three digits on the back of your debit card. Of course if you don't feel comfortable with that they told me they also accept Amazon gift cards

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How is he so bad at this while also thinking he's so good at this that he can just suddenly have them turn 80% of Twitter's microservices off with no consequences?

Why the gently caress is that dumb shithead asking this stuff on Twitter? Why isn't he asking in Slack? Talking to his engineers?

Jesus loving christ, this website's going to be dead by the end of 2022.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Darchangel posted:

Also, he's got the wrong party running to extend the line there. the left has barely moved. If anything the entire spectrum has shifted right. Reagan is drat near a liberal by today's standards.
I don't think he really knows what "liberal" or "progressive" means. Most of the US sure doesn't.

In the real world, yeah. Musk however is an extremely online old man, which means he mainly comes into contact with the left on social media, and despite being a marginal voice in actual politics, online they look big and strong and hurt his feelings while stimming via shitposts.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/adribbleofink/status/1592226879469416448?s=46&t=wRlmHDBzRv_bOC-erCYnMg

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why isn't he asking in Slack? Talking to his engineers?

Jesus loving christ, this website's going to be dead by the end of 2022.

They're all gone

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

That dude is sooooo fired, how dare he know things the boss doesn't?! Unacceptable

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The fun part is that while these microservices could be easy to turn off, they might be much more difficult to turn back on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I can't help but think this won't do wonders for recruitment at any of his other companies.. Anyone who isn't either a fanboy or neophyte is gonna give his bullshit a wide berth.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

turning a big dial taht says "microservice count" on it and constantly looking back at the SREs for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Steadiman posted:

That dude is sooooo fired, how dare he know things the boss doesn't?! Unacceptable

Do you think Musk would check with HR to see if the guy works for him before trying to fire him, or just the dude's twitter bio

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Before long it'll be

goatface posted:

Rent will be deducted from your salary if you sleep on the meeting room floor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you are one of the remaining engineers, do you want to be the one who tells him something he doesn't want to hear? His slack is probably silent.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

goatface posted:

If you are one of the remaining engineers, do you want to be the one who tells him something he doesn't want to hear? His slack is probably silent.

There has got to be dozens who’d love to tell him how stupid he is with the hope of getting canned

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Lol

I deleted my twitter account because of a combination of mental health and adding to the anti pile of less twitter accounts

Twitter gave me a 2FA to deactivate and a 30 day window to reactivate if I changed my mind

So disabling 2FA disables a large swarth of account deactivations.

But now I can't reactivate my even if I wanted

Just a massive cluster gently caress

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
If musk still has any webdev knowledge it's probably at least this old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

elon musk: web dude

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

mysterious frankie posted:

In the real world, yeah. Musk however is an extremely online old man, which means he mainly comes into contact with the left on social media, and despite being a marginal voice in actual politics, online they look big and strong and hurt his feelings while stimming via shitposts.

Except he’s grumbling about the MSM and professional journalism, with its nasty left wing bias.

His entire motivation for removing the verified check mark was to balance things out with “citizen journalism” which is quite obviously right wing social media screaming.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

crime weed posted:

that's not how capital acquisition works at all

it's not

"it's his billions to waste"

it's

"it's twitter's job to somehow make up 42 billion + interest (difficulty level: impossible)"

Let me rephrase it then: "it's his net worth to deflate by making dumb investments". He is not going to make back the billions he wasted. He blew them on an ego-trip. But he still has plenty assets to live like a king - and do this again. It is horrifying and entrancing to watch this circus at a distance - but it's really just a macrocosm of some middle class shmuck with a good net worth losing a chunk of it to bad crypto-investments. Elon might be sad for a while - he might be bitter for the rest of life even - but unless he ups the stupid-ante or repeats this trick one time too many he is more likely to die at the peak of wealth in some dumb accident or from a heart attack than to crash and burn in humility from this failed venture. And sure he might go on a spiral of crazy stunts until he ends up like a more spectacular version of John Macafee - but he might not. He might convince himself the billions of net worth lost paid back for themselves through an awesome ride on the centre-of-attention coaster.

TL;DR - he can fail horribly at making up those billions, move on and still be insanely rich.

I am not applauding this or him - I just think those who are convinced this is the end of Elon Musk as a businessman and wealthy public person are as deluded as those who think him some kind of genius hero.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Steadiman posted:

That dude doesn't actually work for Twitter. He's just looking at the console in Chrome and telling Elom about it and Ellen keeps asking him more questions.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Steadiman posted:

"Someone hire this man so I can fire him!"

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

koshmar posted:

That dude doesn't actually work for Twitter. He's just looking at the console in Chrome and telling Elom about it and Ellen keeps asking him more questions.

Luv2get advice on my software from a rando on Twitter. Sure that won't go anywhere bad.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

koshmar posted:

You're saying they hacked twitter with this "console" and that's why things are breaking?! Help us Elon!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Maybe we'll get a later years Howard Hughes arc from Elon.
https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1592128347139674112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

stdh. If a company is able to compensate you well, they're also likely to be the kind of place that appreciates employees enough to not mandate working through lunch breaks.

Aramis posted:

Hear hear. I have no doubt that there are a lot of companies/offices that treat free food as a proxy for OT pay, but that's not been my experience at all at one of the FAANGs (circa 2010-2015). It was a very appreciated QoL benefit on top of the absurd pay, reasonable working hours, and extra pay when on-call.

The myth that the likes of Google do so in order to somehow fool their employees into doing additional OT is ludicrous.

Even in my crunch-heavy videogame days, OT food was certainly never seen as "compensation". It was more like coffee: a bare minimum the employer was expected to provide.

I work for a European branch of a San Jose tech company. OT during crunch periods is strictly opt-in. We're all salaried at different levels, but it works out about 2x per hour what the average person here would earn if they were paid hourly. Back when we still worked in the office OT pizza and beer were just expensed thank you items above the regular free snacks/coffee/sodas we had in the office.

Since everyone went to WFH we've replaced them with Amazon or JustEat/Deliveroo vouchers, but the primary motivator behind people doing OT has always been getting that bump in their next pay statement.