Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

gey muckle mowser posted:

I definitely recommend reading the essays too, they are good and add a lot of interesting context even to the weaker ones. Watch the films first though if you don't want any spoilers though, the essays freely discuss the plots.

Thanks for the heads up on the spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's always tough with home video - people tend to compare to previous home video releases, and those can be really messed up.

Like the Universal Do the Right Thing with the very natural looking colors as opposed to the red shift of the original. If that was the only version you saw, then the really red Criterion would look wrong.
I desperately want a 4K Se7en with the color timing from the Criterion laserdisc, which is the only home release that properly reproduced the CCE bleach-bypass processing of the first-run print.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

this is how I've been watching them and it's definitely the way to go. The earliest films of his in the set are at best so-so, so if you go chronologically you're gonna have to sit through 5-6 relatively weak movies before you start getting to the good stuff. Or if you cherry pick the best ones to watch first you'll just have a bunch of mediocre ones left over.

I definitely recommend reading the essays too, they are good and add a lot of interesting context even to the weaker ones. Watch the films first though if you don't want any spoilers though, the essays freely discuss the plots.

Going in the box set's order is absolutely the best, though, skip the theatrical Scenes from a Marriage entirely. Be sure to watch the documentaries both by Bergman himself (the two on Faro are wonderful, as is his making-of docs!) and others like Bergman Island. There's also intros by Bergman done for Swedish TV that are lovely.

On that note, anyone who loved Ingmar Bergman's Cinema should absolutely pick up The Complete Films of Agnes Varda. While I found Essential Fellini to be wildly uneven, I had the same mystical experience with Varda that I had with Bergman. Varda's work is incredible and I honestly didn't remember a single one being even bad (even her oddest film The Creatures feels like it anticipates David Lynch). I had only seen Cleo from 5 to 7 before the box set, but I finished the box with her as one of my all-time favorite directors.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Selling a few 4k & blu rays if anyone is looking:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017492

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Reviews from the new Columbia 4k set are predictably excellent. I'm passing on this one though, it just doesn't have that one must-have disc that I can't do without like the other sets did. That's just me and my personal taste though, obviously.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Last Picture Show is big to my dad. We got to watch a beat up 35mm of it last year. Saw him cry, and that’s not something I ever see him do with movies despite loving film. I might get him it just for that.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Just watched the Reservoir Dogs 4K.
The blood is very red..

Within the 4K there's some lighting/colour differences between a few shots in the scenes in the cafe and Joe's office, likely only more noticeable now because of the format, but overall looks pretty great.

Anyway, the film has a digital copy on lionsgate.com/redeem if anyone would like it;

Taken - enjoy Dragonshirt!

CaptainN fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 14, 2022

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

CaptainN posted:

Anyway, the film has a digital copy on lionsgate.com/redeem if anyone would like it;

Redeemed! Thanks!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Does anyone here still buy DVDs? I have a ton in my collection still and I have hardly touched them in a couple years (according to Letterboxd I’ve watched a total of 4 DVDs since 2017), I’m thinking about selling them off and sticking with just blu/UHD. Most aren’t worth much but there are some that haven’t gotten blu-ray releases yet that may be worthwhile for collectors.

Just testing the waters if it’s worth my time to make a post selling them in SA-Mart or if I should go right to Facebook marketplace/eBay/etc.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Does anyone here still buy DVDs? I have a ton in my collection still and I have hardly touched them in a couple years (according to Letterboxd I’ve watched a total of 4 DVDs since 2017), I’m thinking about selling them off and sticking with just blu/UHD. Most aren’t worth much but there are some that haven’t gotten blu-ray releases yet that may be worthwhile for collectors.

Just testing the waters if it’s worth my time to make a post selling them in SA-Mart or if I should go right to Facebook marketplace/eBay/etc.

I would go through and check ebay sold prices for anything you think is rare, sell those individually, and then bulk price the rest and hope someone grabs it.
FWIW anime seems to be the one genre where there's resale value, thanks to rights issues and smaller print runs.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'll pick one up if the special features are good, but outside of that there's really not much reason

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't have a region-free player, so before UHD entered the picture I would sometimes buy a DVD because there hadn't been a Region A blu ray release yet. But with UHD being regionless I don't do that anymore because I'd rather just wait to see if something gets a UHD release, and if I have to import it the UHD its still gonna work on my player.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

some movies havent graced the realm of HD or UHD like Freddy Got Fingered, Man Bites Dog or Bringing Out the Dead so I have purchased DVD's.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

some movies havent graced the realm of HD or UHD like Freddy Got Fingered, Man Bites Dog or Bringing Out the Dead so I have purchased DVD's.

and some never will

*looks at my dvd of sour grapes (1998)*

quote:

"Sour Grapes" is a comedy about things that aren't funny. It reminded me of "Crash," an erotic thriller about things no one finds erotic. The big difference is that David Cronenberg, who made "Crash," knew that people were not turned on by auto accidents. Larry David, who wrote and directed "Sour Grapes," apparently thinks people are amused by cancer, accidental castration, racial stereotypes and bitter family feuds. -Roger Ebert

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 15, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'll hold onto my Doom House DVD until Kino Lorber releases a Blu-Ray

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I will hold on to my Criterion Armageddon DVD until the heat death of the universe. Best commentary track of all time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think I have my chasing Amy criterion DVD still. I also have some random TV seasons and the dawn of the dead super DVD box set, scarface limited edition collectors box that came with a money clip and the og scarface on DVD, plus some other random poo poo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
dogma is one of those the blu ray is expensive and so are the dvd examples

i'm part of the DVD problem, I gave mill creek money for the complete KITH box set on DVD, which is extra annoying because the digital versions that come with that set are all 1080p. yeah, it was pretty cheap for 5 seasons of a show, but it could have been BD clearly.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With the new Willow series coming out I had hoped we'd get a Willow UHD to celebrate it. Oh well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Criterion announced Dazed and Confused UHD. Can’t wait!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
This week's hints from Vinegar Syndrome:

quote:

Last week we shared our last minute enthusiasm over a major discovery related to one of the films...and here's what that discover was: long censored violence and sleaze that we uncovered at the eleventh hour and dutifully restored, making ours the longest ever and most complete video presentation of this film! And that's only one quarter of the surprises which lie in wait.

Also

https://twitter.com/diabolikdvd/status/1592598281166946304?s=20&t=qubx3xHj_VB_DgNFZQnlPw

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

lol i just watched that over the weekend. that'll look nice on UHD.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I buy DVDs if I'm buying a big box set. For example, I have that big 20th Century Fox 75th Anniversary Collection because it has 75 classic movies in it. And I store the bigger box sets aside from the bulk of my collection so bulky DVDs amongst my Blu-rays isn't an out of control situation.

No, I do not separate my DVDs from by Blu-rays on the shelf, but thankfully I have relatively few DVDs anyway.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do the Sony 4k players play dvds or just blu-ray/uhd?

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall

Kingtheninja posted:

Do the Sony 4k players play dvds or just blu-ray/uhd?

Yep! They'll play DVDs just fine including upscaling them to 1080 or 4k or whatever.

For what it's worth, they also do CDs and I think at least some models play SACDs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Great, just saw a good price for a TV box set that's really hard to find streaming.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oh yeah the last dvd boxset I bought was all the 3 Stooges Shorts for $30. That's pretty neat. would like those to get an HD/UHD upgrade.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh! Forgot I originally came to post the re-released blu ray of shin godzilla regularly goes on sale for under 10 bucks, I just missed it today. Figure there isn't much chance of seeing the 4k stateside so it's a good buy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I very rarely grab them when it's something that isn't and probably won't make it to blu-ray. But at this point with all the boutique labels that's happening increasingly less. And a lot of times when I got the DVD a blu-ray was announced shortly after. I don't recall the last time I bought a DVD but I'm pretty sure it was the Coffin Joe trilogy. At this point I think some TV shows would be the only reason I bought DVDs. On that note, do you happen to have the original releases of The Kids in the Hall (I think they were put out by Time Life, pre-Mill Creek anyway)? Because I'll buy thems.

zer0spunk posted:

and some never will

*looks at my dvd of sour grapes (1998)*

I'm sure I've said this a bunch but I personally asked Tom Green and he told me that FGF coming to blu-ray is completely out of his hands and highly unlikely. The director's cut is 100% never happening because the footage no longer exists. And all this was pre-Disney. So unless they were to license it to someone don't hold your breath.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I very rarely grab them when it's something that isn't and probably won't make it to blu-ray. But at this point with all the boutique labels that's happening increasingly less. And a lot of times when I got the DVD a blu-ray was announced shortly after. I don't recall the last time I bought a DVD but I'm pretty sure it was the Coffin Joe trilogy. At this point I think some TV shows would be the only reason I bought DVDs. On that note, do you happen to have the original releases of The Kids in the Hall (I think they were put out by Time Life, pre-Mill Creek anyway)? Because I'll buy thems.

The original release was A&E, and they are far superior to the later multipack release that crams them all in one box :colbert:

You can find 1-4 pretty cheap on eBay and 5 for about the price of 1-4 combined. For reference I finally got 2, 3, and 4 in one lot earlier this Summer for $29.52, and I paid $26.58 for S5. Both prices were comparable to what I paid new for S1 about 18 years ago.

Also to whoever was talking about getting the 1080 streaming of KitH earlier, obviously the show was shot on 480i video, so that would be a simple upscale.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Steven Universe was the last non-anime DVD I bought because that didn't get blu-ray for ??? reasons. I got the DVDs of original Dragon Ball and GT. I get not caring about GT but I'm surprised that Dragon Ball doesn't have a bluray set.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ordered my last pre-Black Friday/Xmas-deals stuff

Pearl
Cure
Eureka!: The Complete Series

Pearl's the only non-blind buy. I've heard great things about Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure, and I'd been interested in Eureka! since seeing ads for it when Warehouse 13 was around and I was big into watching Syfy stuff as a teen but just never got around to starting it

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 16, 2022

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

On that note, do you happen to have the original releases of The Kids in the Hall (I think they were put out by Time Life, pre-Mill Creek anyway)? Because I'll buy thems.

I do actually, but those are one of the few sets I plan on hanging on to. I rewatch KitH every couple years, I’m overdue actually so I’ll probably start that soon.

I will probably list some of the more interesting things soon. I mostly just want to clear some space so if there is any interest I’ll sell them cheap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

The original release was A&E, and they are far superior to the later multipack release that crams them all in one box :colbert:

You can find 1-4 pretty cheap on eBay and 5 for about the price of 1-4 combined. For reference I finally got 2, 3, and 4 in one lot earlier this Summer for $29.52, and I paid $26.58 for S5. Both prices were comparable to what I paid new for S1 about 18 years ago.

Also to whoever was talking about getting the 1080 streaming of KitH earlier, obviously the show was shot on 480i video, so that would be a simple upscale.

I have the first one. I try to avoid buying used DVDs and blu-rays from ebay because there are so many bootlegs out there and it can be hard to tell who is selling them. I know the Mill Creek set is of lesser quality which is why I want the old sets.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I have the first one. I try to avoid buying used DVDs and blu-rays from ebay because there are so many bootlegs out there and it can be hard to tell who is selling them. I know the Mill Creek set is of lesser quality which is why I want the old sets.

Yeah, bootlegs are a problem, but KitH is too niche for anyone to bother. Still, I just pulled a random disc (S3, D3) and checked it in the computer, it's a DVD-9. Highly unlikely you'll find bootlegs of these sets, if you shop smart and buy from people selling one copy, not tens of copies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Yeah, bootlegs are a problem, but KitH is too niche for anyone to bother. Still, I just pulled a random disc (S3, D3) and checked it in the computer, it's a DVD-9. Highly unlikely you'll find bootlegs of these sets, if you shop smart and buy from people selling one copy, not tens of copies.

I don't think Kids is the Hall too niche at all, it's an iconic comedy series and most people still buying physical media are nerds who buy poo poo like that. A while back I ended up with a Tales From the Crypt season 6 bootleg. As luck would have it I ended up finding a real one at a thrift store shortly after. I don't think bootleggers care too much about what's the hottest thing going and some of the people passing them around are probably just clueless or apathetic to the fact that they owned a bootleg and are just trying to clear space.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Even though the DVDs are fine, it bothers me that I have the first 12 seasons of King of the Hill on DVD and the 13th on blu-ray.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well I lost the bid on it but found a good enough deal to get the complete law and order box set on DVD. I'm a big enough fan and for whatever rights reasons peacock doesn't have anything before season 15 or something? So this is a good pickup.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I buy DVDs for older TV shows that don't give you the option, but I was surprised at how good the Shout Factory (relatively) recent-ish DVD releases for The High Chaparral looked, no bluray quality is fine for this, and DVDs are generally cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

yeah, I know it's on tape, but the upscale looks better than the native DVD res on a 1080 display compared to me upscaling it myself in either hardware or software... and is how I watch the show now even though I own the DVD set. I would have been down for these on BD instead or even the DVD eps on a smaller number of BDs instead of DVDS. I also would prefer not to give mill creek money but thems the breaks.

The one plus is that set has Death Comes to Town which was made after the older box sets. Yeah, it's not that great, but it's there.

e: it's also KITH, it's not exactly a visual feast, I was happy with lovely VHS copies of comedy central reruns for years, i'll watch that thing in any resolution

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 16, 2022